• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Chaucer

Really enjoying this game. I'll probably buy every Criterion racer and can be counted among those that loved Burnout Paradise. Since I have NFS PR's ear:

1) Custom soundtrack is fun to drive around to, but can you make the Next Track button (L1) global? Right now it won't let me change the song unless I'm actually in a race.
2) I just dump a bunch of mp3s on my PS3's HD and want it to play them all randomly. It's only letting me play songs off a playlist which as far as I can see, I need to click Triangle on every song to add it. Would be nice to skip this step and just let it play whatever mp3s are on the system. Especially when I want to throw some new tracks on there and I have to hunt them down and add them too. It gets to be a hassle.
3) It would be nice to have a stat for the strength of the car or how well it runs off-road. Otherwise I'm just guessing.

BPK

Just got the game. Feel free to add me if you want to do some auto-log stuff. Just make sure you put GAF in the text box. PSN name = BPK.

Chaucer said:
Really enjoying this game. I'll probably buy every Criterion racer and can be counted among those that loved Burnout Paradise. Since I have NFS PR's ear:

1) Custom soundtrack is fun to drive around to, but can you make the Next Track button (L1) global? Right now it won't let me change the song unless I'm actually in a race.
2) I just dump a bunch of mp3s on my PS3's HD and want it to play them all randomly. It's only letting me play songs off a playlist which as far as I can see, I need to click Triangle on every song to add it. Would be nice to skip this step and just let it play whatever mp3s are on the system. Especially when I want to throw some new tracks on there and I have to hunt them down and add them too. It gets to be a hassle.
3) It would be nice to have a stat for the strength of the car or how well it runs off-road. Otherwise I'm just guessing.

I agree that it would be nice but for 2) you can actually sort the tracks by date/time of importing (in XMB) so at least you don't have to hunt them down.

isamu said:
Isn't it funny how this question continues to go unanswered?

I've answered the question several times. Currently slated for early January.

It was actually slated to go up along side the Title Update on the consoles, but we at EA forced Criterion to hold it back, just as a personal fuck you to PC gamers, who we hate.

/\

That last statement was complete bullshit, in case you couldn't tell. :D

derFeef

The Antitype said:

It was actually slated to go up along side the Title Update on the consoles, but we at EA forced Criterion to hold it back, just as a personal fuck you to PC gamers, who we hate.

/\

Nono, I believe you. Since the no-DLC for PC thing, this seems plausible.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
The Antitype said:

/\

Well, considering the lack of DLC for the PC edition, you could have fooled me.

It really is things like this that turn many people off from buying PC versions of games, despite all of the other benefits of the platform, only to lead the likes of EA etc to point at lower sales and decry PC gamers for not buying PC games.

If you want PC as a platform to be viable,you must at least give the same level of support as our console gaming brethren. If a small studio like Simply Mad Studios managed to do so with NFS:Shift, the much larger Criterion should have no excuses.

Kweh

Hmm, still having this problem with the Autolog.

It works okay on the main menu, it says it has connected to the Autolog servers and signed in, but as soon as I go to Career it disconnects.

derFeef said:

Stop It said:
Well, considering the lack of DLC for the PC edition, you could have fooled me.

It really is things like this that turn many people off from buying PC versions of games, despite all of the other benefits of the platform, only to lead the likes of EA etc to point at lower sales and decry PC gamers for not buying PC games.

If you want PC as a platform to be viable,you must at least give the same level of support as our console gaming brethren. If a small studio like Simply Mad Studios managed to do so with NFS:Shift, the much larger Criterion should have no excuses.

I'm not the one that makes the decision about how much emphasis the PC version gets, what DLC it gets or not, that's way over my pay grade. Any time spent making DLC for the PC is time and money that could be spent elsewhere (opportunity cost).

I am privy to the same stats and info that those people making the decisions are though. The fact that last year over 90% of the people playing Shift online on PC were playing pirated copies definitely makes resource allocation to the PC version ALOT harder to rationalize.

Hot Pursuit wasn't originally planned to come to PC at all. NFS World, the free-to-play, micro-transaction funded MMO-style racer was supposed to be the PC complement to Hot Pursuit. But EA decided to make a PC version too.

PC patch is coming. Happy Holidays :)

derFeef

The Antitype said:
I'm not the one that makes the decision about how much emphasis the PC version gets, what DLC it gets or not, that's way over my pay grade. Any time spent making DLC for the PC is time and money that could be spent elsewhere (opportunity cost).

I am privy to the same stats and info that those people making the decisions are though. The fact that last year over 90% of the people playing Shift online on PC were playing pirated copies definitely makes resource allocation to the PC version ALOT harder to rationalize.

Hot Pursuit wasn't originally planned to come to PC at all. NFS World, the free-to-play, micro-transaction funded MMO-style racer was supposed to be the PC complement to Hot Pursuit. But EA decided to make a PC version too.

PC patch is coming. Happy Holidays :)
Jesus Christ I am at loss of words.

Thanks for responding though but I am tired of the pirate argument. A great online mode like NFS:HP has is a great counter, but announcing that no DLC comes out for PC is encouraging pirates.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
derFeef said:
Thanks for responding though but I am tired of the pirate argument. A great online mode like NFS:HP has is a great counter, but announcing that no DLC comes out for PC is encouraging pirates.

What argument? It's fact, pirates fuck over the PC gaming community. I know the 10% of the legit PC gamers want some accommodations, but you can't be sane and suggest that a company like EA go out of their way to please the 10% of their PC consumers who actually purchase their games.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
derFeef said:

I was thinking the same thing :lol

Anyway if you want your games to stop being pirated EA, why don't you give them some bulletproof pirate protection? I mean this is really getting ridiculous. I am just not buying the claim that big software companies such as EA, cannot create a tamper proof pirate protected game in 20-fucking-10. There's no reason why this can't be done. 90%? C'mon you've got to be kidding me. At least give us some un-exagerrated statistics on this problem. I think EA just wants to wash their hands of the PC just like Activision does and focus soley on the consoles.

It's all about the Benjamens.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The Antitype said:
....last year over 90% of the people playing Shift online on PC were playing pirated copies definitely makes resource allocation to the PC version ALOT harder to rationalize.

Oh and by the way Antitype, iRacing has been out for over 3 years and it STILL has yet to be pirated. Just sayin'

daw840

Got this game on sale at best buy last night and played a few races. I must say, I need to stop racing like this is Forza. Lol.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Maybe EA can get their games on Steam day 1 instead of fucking around for 3 weeks like they did with Hot Pursuit. Dur de hurr.

Me and 2 friends have this game and we want to play in the same match online, how the hell do we play together?
I try making a game with friends then setting it to public but no one ever joins before the timer hits 0 and the game starts and we cant just quick match and invite because the lobbies fill up so quick

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So has anyone got the Platinum/1000 yet in this game? Getting all Gold and Distinctions seems like an impossible pain in the ass. Especially those time trail missions where you have to race perfect... F that.

Props to anyone who finishes this game with that Trophy/Achievement.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
daw840 said:
Got this game on sale at best buy last night and played a few races. I must say, I need to stop racing like this is Forza. Lol.

Nice, another person on my friend list with the game!

crispyben

Adam Prime said:
So has anyone got the Platinum/1000 yet in this game? Getting all Gold and Distinctions seems like an impossible pain in the ass. Especially those time trail missions where you have to race perfect... F that.

Not to brag, but sonce you ask, I do :D Some of the Time Trial/Rapid Response events were demanding, but nothing memorization and a few dozen attempts couldn't fix... I had to gridn the Cop career though, less events and easier than the Racer career.

Shawn128

AURGH

That last race on the racer side man. It takes 13 minutes and the rubberbanding always comes to bite me in the ass in the last mile and a half, no matter how well or bad I drove the other however many miles. I keep finishing 2nd by like two seconds!

KaYotiX

Banned
crispyben said:
Not to brag, but sonce you ask, I do :D Some of the Time Trial/Rapid Response events were demanding, but nothing memorization and a few dozen attempts couldn't fix... I had to gridn the Cop career though, less events and easier than the Racer career.

Yeah i also got all the achievements and all but 1 since the DLC came out (the beat a recomendation from a friend using the Veyron Super sport) actually pretty easy once you learn the game.

XTERC

crispyben said:

I can attest to this, Crispyben was beating me in most events, so I said to myself 'I know I bet I can beat him on Trophies', I did a compare and sighed...

kamspy

The Antitype said:

Really? Going with the whole "I'm taking my ball and going home!" route?

Know what the best thing is to combat piracy? Make a game that people want to buy.

Fucking EA. They could at least hire PR that doesn't make them look like assholes.

But hey, since there's no DLC coming that I'd have to authenticate with a valid CD key, it really makes the game more desirable from a pirate standpoint.

Beezy

Adam Prime said:

It's not that hard. You most likely still don't know how to drift properly and which shortcuts to take.

I'll have 1000/1000 after I rank up 3 more times as a cop.

kamspy said:

Know what the best thing is to combat piracy? Make a game that people want to buy.

Fucking EA. They could at least hire PR that doesn't make them look like assholes.

But hey, since there's no DLC coming that I'd have to authenticate with a valid CD key, it really makes the game more desirable from a pirate standpoint.

Haven't done ANY research on piracy and gaming have you? Like none. Just make shit up about what affects the piracy rate of games. Takes upwards of 5 minutes on google to find out:
The piracy rate in PC gaming is almost always 85-90%...regardless of indy or AAA, metacritic score, who they hired as PR (god, that's a hilarious one) or whatever. Medal of honor was 95%. Impressive. Nothing says "please don't make games for us anymore" like a 95% piracy rate. Oh, but I know. It's their fault. Where's the charity? Why aren't devs and publishers fulfilling my entitlements exactly how I want them? Why aren't people coming to my birthday party despite being a total dick to everyone around me? Well, i'm gonna just take my ball and go home!

Every time a representative speaks logically by saying "Why would we spend money and time on a small percentage of a small percentage of a small percentage of gamers and make DLC (which is niche in itself) for the lowest selling platform (niche) that only 10% will purchase legitimately(niche)?" well, certain gamers and gaffers alike start crying for a few minutes, because what else are they going to do but spout nonsense like "Make better games and the game won't be pirated!" and then take their ball and go home.

And yes, Isamu, it is 2010. Why haven't they made a fool-proof piracy protection yet? I mean, what a world.

kamspy said:

I'm just giving you honest information. There's no 'Neogaf whipping-boy' PR position at EA. I'm doing this out of my own time, it doesn't factor into my paycheck or performance evaluation. We don't have any metrics for this place. :lol I hopped on this forum to answer questions to the best of my ability, with the information I have and/or am allowed to share.

If you don't like the answers, so be it.

I can say that EA has no plans to 'wash our hands of the PC'. Not even close. You have no idea how funny that idea is after all the 2011 strategy meetings I've sat through. :lol

Shawn128 said:
AURGH

That last race on the racer side man. It takes 13 minutes and the rubberbanding always comes to bite me in the ass in the last mile and a half, no matter how well or bad I drove the other however many miles. I keep finishing 2nd by like two seconds!
The seacrest tour level? Yeah, it was quite a bitch but fun. Just keep trying and you'll get gold eventually.

Truespeed

So I did a little Amazon world shopping for NFS: Hot Pursuit PC:

Amazon USA and Canada: $39.99
Amazon UK £12.91 (although shows up as £10.99 when I place it in my cart)

£10.99 works out to about $16.91 USD

That's some interesting pricing.

crispyben

XTERC said:
I can attest to this, Crispyben was beating me in most events, so I said to myself 'I know I bet I can beat him on Trophies', I did a compare and sighed...
Nah, I'm not really good, I just spent some time on some events... You should see the times others have posted on my Autolog! As for Trophies, well, I rarely can resist the appeal of a Platinum if it's as fun to get as in this game :D

grendelrt

I am hoping this shows up on steam sale this week, thats some good pricing, wish it was in the US.

Truespeed said:
So I did a little Amazon world shopping for NFS: Hot Pursuit PC:

Amazon USA and Canada: $39.99
Amazon UK £12.91 (although shows up as £10.99 when I place it in my cart)

£10.99 works out to about $16.91 USD

That's some interesting pricing.

kamspy said:

Hey, hey at least appreciate the time he's spent coming here to answer questions. I sincerely doubt it's part of his official job description.

kamspy

Mr. B Natural said:
Haven't done ANY research on piracy and gaming have you? Like none. Just make shit up about what affects the piracy rate of games. Takes upwards of 5 minutes on google to find out:
The piracy rate in PC gaming is almost always 85-90%...regardless of indy or AAA, metacritic score, who they hired as PR (god, that's a hilarious one) or whatever. Medal of honor was 95%. Impressive. Nothing says "please don't make games for us anymore" like a 95% piracy rate. Oh, but I know. It's their fault. Where's the charity? Why aren't devs and publishers fulfilling my entitlements exactly how I want them? Why aren't people coming to my birthday party despite being a total dick to everyone around me? Well, i'm gonna just take my ball and go home!

Every time a representative speaks logically by saying "Why would we spend money and time on a small percentage of a small percentage of a small percentage of gamers and make DLC (which is niche in itself) for the lowest selling platform (niche) that only 10% will purchase legitimately(niche)?" well, certain gamers and gaffers alike start crying for a few minutes, because what else are they going to do but spout nonsense like "Make better games and the game won't be pirated!" and then take their ball and go home.

GAF's read this argument before. We don't need to rehash it.

The excuse is just tired. If the return on investment for DLC for this under performing PC game isn't there, then just say it. Don't turn it into an assault on PC gamers EA.

But publishers need a strawman. It's better to tell stockholders to look at pirates rather than having them look at the guy who decided not to release the game on Steam day 1. I'm sure he appreciates it. There are easily more lost sales in that decision than what pirates might have bought.

Mileena

Banned
Patch this damn game. Online on PS3 my friend's mics are laggy 90% of the time to the point where I can't understand a thing. Seriously, fix the game. Thanks!

Calibur

Hey Anti-type.

It was one of the things I disliked about Burnout Paradise was that I couldn't play with a friend offline, I don't care what people say but Splitscreen Multiplayer 2 or 4 is a must, i would prefer for the game to be delayed, then for the game to be released without it!
Any chance of this being added in a future update and any chance of laps option happening too?
Also still not everyone can upload a picture to http://hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/autolog/career it says flag image instead of replace image is this being looked into?

Calibur said:
Hey Anti-type.

It was one of the things I disliked about Burnout Paradise was that I couldn't play with a friend offline, I don't care what people say but Splitscreen Multiplayer 2 or 4 is a must, i would prefer for the game to be delayed, then for the game to be released without it!
Any chance of this being added in a future update and any chance of laps option happening too?
Also still not everyone can upload a picture to http://hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/autolog/career it says flag image instead of replace image is this being looked into?

I'll ask the devs, but I'm pretty damn sure the answer for split-screen is no. The vision for HP was for perpetual online social competition.

PM me your gamertag or PSN ID and I'll send to the web guys to see what the specific error affecting you is. The career stats update caused a few little bugs that are still being worked out (we switched web agencies).

Calibur

The Antitype said:
I'll ask the devs, but I'm pretty damn sure the answer for split-screen is no. The vision for HP was for perpetual online social competition.

PM me your gamertag or PSN ID and I'll send to the web guys to see what the specific error affecting you is. The career stats update caused a few little bugs that are still being worked out (we switched web agencies).

Ohh i have faith in those devs not to let me down!

the PSN ID is kiddich

Mileena

Banned
Please mention something about online voices being extremely laggy. My friends and I just went to play Black Ops because we couldn't talk on NFS :(

kamspy

I should add that I really like this game. :p

Being a PC gamer who like a lot of console ports, it's not the first time I've had make do with leftovers. :/ Damn tasty leftovers in this case.

And I wouldn't have bought the DLC anyways. I just really don't like it when publishers use piracy as an excuse for their own ineptitude. And no offense to Antitype, he usually comes off like a cool guy.

corkscrewblow said:
Please mention something about online voices being extremely laggy. My friends and I just went to play Black Ops because we couldn't talk on NFS :(

Are you on the PS3? It's the only platform we've heard of those troubles with so far. The weird thing is, there's almost nothing correlating the people that are having those issues.

They're all in different countries, different broadband, different PS3 models, different mics...usually when there isn't some underlying similarity, it's a lot more widespread than this issue is (and it's really not). So it's been hard for the devs to reproduce the issue, and therefore hard to fix. They were working on it before xmas break, I imagine they'll be working on it again when they get back.

There are more title updates on the way, so I'll let you know if it's included in the notes we get ahead of time for those. :D

Top Bottom