• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

nashb81

Neo Member
This IGN stream is so painful. So far here are some of the inaccurate statements made by the 3 guys, and not one of them challenged these statements upon hearing them.

"The damage is not just appearance based. My car was going slower when it was seriously damaged".

"I don't think the Burnout games prior to Paradise had a third person view. Maybe I just don't remember, but I don't think they did".

"I'm disappointed they shifted away from takedowns". *said as takedowns are occurring on screen*

I doubt it. I'd be more inclined to believe other devs just aren't as efficient, and especially when it comes to the PC version.

And they get paid to talk about games??

I'm 2 hours in, Most Wanted does a good enough job combining BP and HP but doesn't quite stand up to either..

Sorry if this has been asked before but does the game control more like BP or HP? I only ask because I did not like the car handling in HP.

In the same situation here. Do you use the VPN just to unlock it early (and then disable it) or does it have to be running all the time with origin? thanks

I normally run Spotflux until I get to the main menu of the game then disable it and reconnect to origin. Otherwise I get stuck in offline mode.

So I just got my greenmangaming key and popped it into Origin. Origin is saying the game will unlock on Monday at 9 PM EST for me. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Xun

Whichever you prefer the controller for.

But, it's Criterion, so... probably PS3.
I believe the 360 version of Hot Pursuit was ever so slightly better, but I guess it does come down to the controller.

Mhmm.

Because I got Hot Pursuit on the 360, I'll probably get this on the PS3.

I watched this youtube video and the guy was getting takedowns left right and center, but there's no takedown replay at all, except when he crashed his own vehicle. Is there an option to switch on opponent takedown replay?

sl4yor

Neo Member
Odd question, but does anyone know if its possible to turn the cars ignition on and off, or the lights on and off? It doesn't really matter, but I've heard the cars starting up in some of the videos, not to mention, seen some cars turning off their lights when hiding from the cops. I don't know if this is automated, or something you can do on your own.

OmegaZero

Odd question, but does anyone know if its possible to turn the cars ignition on and off, or the lights on and off? It doesn't really matter, but I've heard the cars starting up in some of the videos, not to mention, seen some cars turning off their lights when hiding from the cops. I don't know if this is automated, or something you can do on your own.

I'm pretty sure you can turn the lights on or off. Not so sure about the ignition.

Any Spanish-speaking GAFers willing to translate the gist of this review?

Intro paragraph

Criterion vuelve a demostrar su maestría en el género de la conducción arcade con uno de los mejores juegos de velocidad de los últimos años. Frenético, adictivo, enorme, con un control impecable, mucho estilo y personalidad, y sobre todo, terriblemente divertido.

Criterion once again demonstrates its mastery of the arcade racing genre with one of the best racing games of the last few years. Frantic, addictive, enormous, impeccable controls, plenty of style and personality, and above all terribly fun.

Ending paragraph

Criterion vuelve a demostrar que domina el género a la perfección, ya sea de una manera más clásica o en un mundo abierto, poniendo nuevamente el listón muy alto, y solo quizás en una nueva generación con hardwares mucho más potentes puedan dar su siguiente gran salto de calidad, ellos mismos son su propio rival a batir. Mientras, nos quedan semanas y meses para disfrutar de su última obra, un título tan completo como divertido, que consigue llevar un paso más allá el concepto del multijugador y las posibilidades online en los juegos de conducción. Imprescindible.

Criterion once again perfectly demonstrates that they dominate the genre, whether it be classic styled or open world, they have once again raised the bar, and perhaps only a new generation of hardware will allow them to surpass these efforts. They are their only rivals. In the meanwhile, we get the following weeks and months to enjoy their latest creation, a title so complete in its multiplayer efforts and it's online capabilities that it leaves no room to compare against any other racing game. This game is essential.

Three publications gave it 9s so far, I hope it lives up to the hype.
Now I have to deal with hurricane sandy in order to get my copy. Hopefully the
Power will stay on in the east coast!

I had both versions of hot pursuit-360 and PS3. They were identical, except the 360
has a little more contrast.

lupinko

I hope for 60fps PS3 version knowing Alex Ward and the crew at Criterion. Tho Criterion Hot Pursuit was only 30fps on console.

Yes, I'd like to avoid Origin.

Any Spanish-speaking GAFers willing to translate the gist of this review?

I'll list some of the points they make:

• Spiritual successor to BP
  • Good controls. Easy to grasp.
  • Handling differences between cars
  • Not very punishing in regards to crashes. It has to be a really big hit to be considered a crash.
  • Different jack spots for any given car
  • 5 events/car. 61 events in total. 41 cars.
  • 3 levels of difficulty. 4 types of events. This seems to be a negative point of single player, there's more variety in MP
  • Circuit event. Sprint event (A to B). Speed event (maintain highest speed). Evasion event (escape from the cops in the least amount of time)
  • Gold, silver and bronze rewards
  • First race for a car unlocks nitrous and 4x4 tires
  • Challenges for each car also unlock mods
  • If you want to re-do an event you will be able to select it through a menu, no need to drive
  • No visual customisation. Only colours.
  • Cops are marked on the map, and will engage in pursuit when an infraction is committed (bumping into them, going and high speed near them, etc.). They are lenient though.
  • Pursuits that have begun in a race will continue when it's over
  • 6 levels of heat
  • A higher level of heat means the cops will use better equipment and tactics. To evade them one must use hidden paths and shortcuts
  • Fairhaven feels like a real city, and yet the streets feel perfect for the different events.
  • Clear and well designed map. They say it's rare to lose a race due to a wrong turn.
  • Night and day cycle.
  • The city has different parts: highways, parks, factories and "surprises". They'd have liked if the different parts were more distinct
  • 156 billboards. 66 radars. 135 security gates
  • Billboards save the distance jumped. Radars the highest speed.
  • To take down the Most Wanted one must accrue Speed Points.
  • Most wanted races: 1 vs. 1 with police involved. Finish first to win, take down the driver afterwards to take his car.
  • They estimate 100% completion in 15 to 20 hours.
  • Multiplayer has team races, challenges (meters drifted, near-misses with rivals, etc.)
  • With friends the city is open, like the single player. The host chooses a series of events and the racers must drive to the meet point. This is not the case with randoms.
  • Cars are divided into categories, and each event limits the category of cars that can be used.
  • Open-world aspect, sense of speed, crash physics better than Forza Horizon. But not as pretty.
  • Some low res textures, empty spaces, aliasing, fps drops when there's a lot going on on screen. This doesn't impact gameplay at all.
  • As positives: No popping, water reflections, dirt on cars, dust and dirt on screen
  • Good engine sounds and OST. You can choose to listen to tracks saved on console or PC
  • One of the best arcade racing games, must-have for fans of the genre, with hours of fun.
  • Version reviewed: X360

From what I understand, there is an option (like usual) but unusually it's defaulted to "off".
Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is that from that video, it looks like the opponents get rammed off the road too easily and just crash somewhere off screen, it lacks impact when you takedown an opponent but you don't even see the carnage that you left behind. I love those slow-mo takedown replays in BOP, hopefully they'll be in this game too.

Regardless, still buying this day one, game is looking phenomenal.

EDIT: wow thanks for the review translation post above, pretty much seal the deal for me.

Carl

• Not very punishing in regards to crashes. It has to be a really big hit to be considered a crash.
  • 3 levels of difficulty. 4 types of events. This seems to be a negative point of single player, there's more variety in MP
  • Circuit event. Sprint event (A to B). Speed event (maintain highest speed). Evasion event (escape from the cops in the least amount of time)
  • If you want to re-do an event you will be able to select it through a menu, no need to drive
  • Cops are marked on the map, and will engage in pursuit when an infraction is committed (bumping into them, going and high speed near them, etc.). They are lenient though.
  • 6 levels of heat
  • Highest level of heat mean the cops will use better equipment and tactics. To evade them one must use hidden paths and shortcuts
  • Fairhaven feels like a real city, and yet the streets feel perfect for the different events.
  • Clear and well designed map. They say it's rare to lose a race due to a wrong turn.
  • Night and day cycle.
  • The city has different parts: highways, parks, factories and "surprises". They'd have liked if the different parts were more distinct
  • Most wanted races: 1 vs. 1 with police involved. Finish first to win, take down the driver afterwards to take his car.
  • Multiplayer has team races, challenges (meters drifted, near-misses with rivals, etc.)
  • With friends the city is open, like the single player. The host chooses a series of events and the racers must drive to the meet point. This is not the case with randoms.
  • Cars are divided into categories, and each event limits the category of cars that can be used.
  • Open-world aspect, sense of speed, crash physics better than Forza Horizon. But not as pretty.
  • Some low res textures, empty spaces, aliasing, fps drops when there's a lot going on on screen. This doesn't impact gameplay at all.
  • As positives: No popping, water reflections, dirt on cars, dust and dirt on screen
  • Good engine sounds and OST. You can choose to listen to tracks saved on console or PC
  • One of the best arcade racing games, must-have for fans of the genre, with hours of fun.

Sounds really good :)

• 6 levels of heat
  • Highest level of heat mean the cops will use better equipment and tactics. To evade them one must use hidden paths and shortcuts
  • Night and day cycle.

sounds great, cant wait for Tuesday, I better not lose power with this storm hitting us early next week!

I like this..."If you want to re-do an event you will be able to select it through a menu, no need to drive"

sounds great, cant wait for Tuesday, I better not lose power with this storm hitting us early next week!

I like this..."If you want to re-do an event you will be able to select it through a menu, no need to drive"

Yep, all throughout the review they mention how the game has certain mechanics to avoid tedium. To expand a little bit more on that point:

http://www.vandal.net/analisis/x360/need-for-speed-most-wanted/16137 said:
If you have completed any of the 61 events in one car, and you jump into another with that same event in its list you can choose to play that event directly, withou driving to a spot on the map. Additionally if you have finished a race and want to repeat it there's an option to retry the last event."

5 events/car. 61 events in total. 41 cars.
So that's why they mean by do every event in every car in first place ...
It seems doable , not that i understand that some events are limited to some cars ..

This is from another race intro

bxhs5m.gif

Top Bottom