• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

.nimrod

So now that people are already playing the game, are the slowmo cinematic takedowns just turned off by default or have they been removed from the final game?

Doesn't that seem, lacking? In contrast, Burnout Paradise:
120 Billboards (+45 in Big Surf Island), 50 Super Jumps (+15 Mega Jumps), 400 Smash Gates (+75)

I don't really know how Burnout Paradise handled it, but my guess is that since billboards/radars track jump distance/speed and display the record among your friends list they'll have a certain replayability to them that other collectibles may not have. In the end we can only wait to see what's the collectible/drivable surface ratio and hope the city has enough places to explore.

I don't really know how Burnout Paradise handled it, but my guess is that since billboards/radars track jump distance/speed and display the record among your friends list they'll have a certain replayability to them that other collectibles may not have. In the end we can only wait to see what's the collectible/drivable surface ratio and hope the city has enough places to explore.
While that's definitely true, but in my head the security gates is basically a marker for shortcuts/hiding places. That low number has me somewhat wondering what kind of "cooldown" or shortcuts we're looking at for this game.

This is from another race intro

bxhs5m.gif

Kinda wish you hadn't posted that. Those are the real surprises of the game. Criterion even told the press they couldn't talk about most of them.

stn

You can only change colors when it comes to the outside appearance of your cars.
Hm, thanks! Probably scratching this off my list, customization is a mandatory feature for me in these arcade racers. :) Thanks for the info, bro!

OmegaZero

Hm, thanks! Probably scratching this off my list, customization is a mandatory feature for me in these arcade racers. :) Thanks for the info, bro!

No problem. I'm going off of the points from the spanish review posted above.
Funnily enough, it's the opposite for me. Visual customization is a must for sim-ish racers, while I don't care what kind of customization is in arcade-style racers as long as they're fun.

VanWinkle

No problem. I'm going off of the points from the spanish review posted above.
Funnily enough, it's the opposite for me. Visual customization is a must for sim-ish racers, while I don't care what kind of customization is in arcade-style racers as long as they're fun.

Yeah, customization is pretty meaningless for me in arcade racers, although I definitely want it in sims.

Orca

Nice indeed.
Is that song in the background part of the soundtrack?
Yeah that's a soundtrack song.

Either I'm a fantastic last stage driver or the rubber banding in this game is a bit insulting. There's parts in each race where the AI just calls it a race. In a couple they all steer into a wall at the same point.

bs000

The guy opened the box while I was looking for Skylanders for my daughter. He cut through the 'do not sell before' sticker but apparently didn't bother to read it. I asked for a copy and he rang it through with no problem.

Is this in Edmonton? Which Wal-Mart? I want to try my luck :<

sarcoa

Odd question, but does anyone know if its possible to turn the cars ignition on and off, or the lights on and off? It doesn't really matter, but I've heard the cars starting up in some of the videos, not to mention, seen some cars turning off their lights when hiding from the cops. I don't know if this is automated, or something you can do on your own.
Clicking the right stick when the car is stopped turns the ignition off. This especially helpful when you're trying to lose heat in a cooldown, as it makes the heat meter drop like a rock.

Also did something a bit unexpected earlier. I was using track tires in a race, but they popped via a spike strip on my last lap. I had also unlocked reinflating tires for that particular car, but didn't have them on at the time b/c they aren't as sticky in turns. Using the easy drive drop down menu I managed to equip my reinflating tires in the middle of the race, which reinflated the tires, and then switched back to my tracks tires all in a matter of seconds. This was sort of hard given I was also doing like 150mph at the time, but the game actually letting me do all of that felt awesome.

OmegaZero

Either I'm a fantastic last stage driver or the rubber banding in this game is a bit insulting. There's parts in each race where the AI just calls it a race. In a couple they all steer into a wall at the same point.

What difficulty level?
(If you even can choose difficulty levels).

ismaboof

PSN: ismaboof

I'm playing some Paradise online right now. This game is still the greatest of the generation IMO. Most Wanted is in the mail.

The Jason

I'll list some of the points they make:

• Spiritual successor to BP
  • Good controls. Easy to grasp.
  • Handling differences between cars
  • Not very punishing in regards to crashes. It has to be a really big hit to be considered a crash.
  • Different jack spots for any given car
  • 5 events/car. 61 events in total. 41 cars.
  • 3 levels of difficulty. 4 types of events. This seems to be a negative point of single player, there's more variety in MP
  • Circuit event. Sprint event (A to B). Speed event (maintain highest speed). Evasion event (escape from the cops in the least amount of time)
  • Gold, silver and bronze rewards
  • First race for a car unlocks nitrous and 4x4 tires
  • Challenges for each car also unlock mods
  • If you want to re-do an event you will be able to select it through a menu, no need to drive
  • No visual customisation. Only colours.
  • Cops are marked on the map, and will engage in pursuit when an infraction is committed (bumping into them, going and high speed near them, etc.). They are lenient though.
  • Pursuits that have begun in a race will continue when it's over
  • 6 levels of heat
  • Highest level of heat mean the cops will use better equipment and tactics. To evade them one must use hidden paths and shortcuts
  • Fairhaven feels like a real city, and yet the streets feel perfect for the different events.
  • Clear and well designed map. They say it's rare to lose a race due to a wrong turn.
  • Night and day cycle.
  • The city has different parts: highways, parks, factories and "surprises". They'd have liked if the different parts were more distinct
  • 156 billboards. 66 radars. 135 security gates
  • Billboards save the distance jumped. Radars the highest speed.
  • To take down the Most Wanted one must accrue Speed Points.
  • Most wanted races: 1 vs. 1 with police involved. Finish first to win, take down the driver afterwards to take his car.
  • They estimate 100% completion in 15 to 20 hours.
  • Multiplayer has team races, challenges (meters drifted, near-misses with rivals, etc.)
  • With friends the city is open, like the single player. The host chooses a series of events and the racers must drive to the meet point. This is not the case with randoms.
  • Cars are divided into categories, and each event limits the category of cars that can be used.
  • Open-world aspect, sense of speed, crash physics better than Forza Horizon. But not as pretty.
  • Some low res textures, empty spaces, aliasing, fps drops when there's a lot going on on screen. This doesn't impact gameplay at all.
  • As positives: No popping, water reflections, dirt on cars, dust and dirt on screen
  • Good engine sounds and OST. You can choose to listen to tracks saved on console or PC
  • One of the best arcade racing games, must-have for fans of the genre, with hours of fun.
  • Version reviewed: X360

Nice. Thanks for the translation.

Too bad they didnt make visual customizations available, open world games seem more personal with customization.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Does MW have a car club equivalent like Forza Horizon? Best part is not having to add everyone from GAF and still getting all the activity because of the GAF car club.

Does MW have a car club equivalent like Forza Horizon? Best part is not having to add everyone from GAF and still getting all the activity because of the GAF car club.

I don't think so, unfortunately. It would be a really good feature to steal considering how central Autolog is to the whole thing.

jett

D-Member
I think the fact that it is open world will make that number be a lot higher for most people, due to roaming around, running from cops, ect.

It's a weird number because 100%'ing Burnout Paradise takes well over 50 hours. Probably wrong, anyway.

jayb

Does that 100% completion estimate also include doing all the multiplayer events, or is it just a single player estimate?

VanWinkle

I still can't believe how well Burnout Paradise was supported post-launch. I've never seen a game like it. And so much free stuff, too. Added in motorcycles, day night cycle and other stuff like a year after it came out for free haha.

I assume Hot Pursuit was not like this?

I feel like I'm missing something... Why are the cars flying?

Criterion don't take themselves seriously. They don't make "realistic" games. They make fun games with an artistic twist, and it's one of the things I love about them. They're not afraid to take chances, and think outside the box.

I can't wait to see each races unique intro. It's one of the many things I loved about Hot Pursuit, and this game is taking it to another level.

I still can't believe how well Burnout Paradise was supported post-launch. I've never seen a game like it. And so much free stuff, too. Added in motorcycles, day night cycle and other stuff like a year after it came out for free haha.

No, not even close. They did offer up some extra races and cars though. It was solid DLC, but unremarkable.

Ran rp

How are the races compared to Burnout Paradise? I haven't played too much of it but I never enjoyed a single race because the course was never clear for me.

bs000

Hot Pursuit definitely wasn't like this. There were a few DLC packs with some extra events and some more cars, but it was the type of DLC that you've come to expect from most games. It's probably for the better since it means they've had more time to work on Most Wanted and it looks awesome so far. I do hope they'll do something similar to the year of Paradise with this game. Maybe we'll even finally see some planes.

aristotle

Looks like I'm getting a free Xbox 360 copy from my network :)
Machinima

I know a ton of machinima people are posting videos. Everyone I've seen so far love it. - Seananners, Whiteboy7thstreet, JayEx(I think). Their impressions made me want to get it day 1 now. It looks like a complete blast ala BO:p.

Salsa

oh also does anyone know if the game is region locked on PC? seems to be cheaper in other regions and Origin games tend to be region free iirc

iNvid02

The flying cars thing looks really retarded ...

eh i prefer a little bit of crazy as opposed to camera pan over car for the hundredth time, keeps things interesting.

oh also does anyone know if the game is region locked on PC? seems to be cheaper in other regions and Origin games tend to be region free iirc

i dont think origin does region lock, but it makes up for it with no english language sometimes. depends on the game, prob wont know until after release.

cheapest legit place is GMG again i think, previously it was origin india for £15/$24 lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How much do you think this and forza will overlap? Not sure i can give enough time to both, and both look similar - albeit with forza being slightly more simmy and this being slightly more arcadey

Top Bottom