• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
The traffic seems more aggressive. I found myself getting into more wrecks. than I did previously.

skarabrae

Banned
I just picked this game up and after popping it in my PS3, I must say that it's definitely giving me that Burnout Paradise vibe. I do have a couple of questions/concerns though:

* Do the cops get in the way a lot in terms of races, enjoyment of the game?
* Is there even talk of steering wheel support yet? NFSHP had this problem at launch too...
* If anyone's tried it, is the Move support (with steering wheel) a joke?

daviyoung

Banned
I can only answer one question because I don't use a wheel, and have found that Move support in 95% of games is a joke. So...

* Do the cops get in the way a lot in terms of races, enjoyment of the game?

No, they barely feature into the equation after a certain point. They appear in two modes out of five or six in singleplayer and they don't feature at all in multiplayer. It's also not hard to avoid getting into a chase if you're aware of your surroundings and see them before they see you. They add an extra layer on top of races, but they never get in the way. There are loads of tricks at your disposal to get rid of them.

Only thing that is annoying is trying to outrun them without getting the first boost upgrade for a car. That's a pursuit that can take half an hour or more, so it's often-times better just to get yourself arrested and be careful.

madmook

Just recently got this game, 360 version, and would like to get the cheesemint for having 5 autolog buds, only need a couple more.

Could I get some gaffer gamertags to add? Or just add me: madmook

Edit: whoops, just saw the post with the list of gaffers playing, I'll be adding some of you fine folks soon.

c0Zm1c

I don't think it will ever happen but I would like to see some novelty vehicles added to the game at some point. Flying around in the DeLorean in Burnout Paradise was pretty cool.

Seen the new billboards...

OK adding them for free is a good thing i'm concerned about the vita version since well the patch on pS3 was 591mb

Please properly support the vita version criterion.

Personally, I think this game is much more enjoyable than Paradise. I like the layout of the world MUCH BETTER. Each street and turn feels like a real race track, as opposed to paradise where everything was just a square grid. I also don't mind the cop chases, and some of them can turn downright epic. And breaking free from them actually requires some THOUGHT and SKILL -- not just speed, which is a nice change of pace. It takes a while to learn how to beat them, but once you do, it's more satisfying, and maybe even realistic. You really have to lose them.

I also think the visibility of the track is better in Most Wanted as opposed to Paradise. In Paradise, the camera was just too low to the ground, and made it very hard to judge the track ahead. I think MW's camera is pretty perfect, and nails that sweet spot between visibility and being low enough to really get a feel for the car and road.

I see this game as an improvement over Paradise in almost every way, and am actually surprised there's been such a split on that issue with most fans.

The graphics and additions of licensed cars are also another plus for MW over Paradise.

Concept17

Personally, I think this game is much more enjoyable than Paradise. I like the layout of the world MUCH BETTER. Each street and turn feels like a real race track, as opposed to paradise where everything was just a square grid. I also don't mind the cop chases, and some of them can turn downright epic. And breaking free from them actually requires some THOUGHT and SKILL -- not just speed, which is a nice change of pace. It takes a while to learn how to beat them, but once you do, it's more satisfying, and maybe even realistic. You really have to lose them.

I also think the visibility of the track is better in Most Wanted as opposed to Paradise. In Paradise, the camera was just too low to the ground, and made it very hard to judge the track ahead. I think MW's camera is pretty perfect, and nails that sweet spot between visibility and being low enough to really get a feel for the car and road.

I see this game as an improvement over Paradise in almost every way, and am actually surprised there's been such a split on that issue with most fans.

The graphics and additions of licensed cars are also another plus for MW over Paradise.

The better part about Paradise were (atleast in memory) the wrecks with other cars, and finding the billboards/jumps in the game. Shit I think I spent more time at that beach with the ramp than I did anywhere else.

Otherwise MW is the better GAME. The racing is better, the cop chases take some time to learn and master. What turns people off (and almost myself completely) is the game can be super frustrating the first hours of playing it. Especially when you're using a no-boost, non-upgraded car. Shit just sucks. Once you start getting a feel for the game though, it really clicks.

First game I've played in a long time where I had a moment of regret buying it and almost returned it, but pushed through a little longer to find an actually great game inside.

The better part about Paradise were (atleast in memory) the wrecks with other cars, and finding the billboards/jumps in the game.

This is something I didn't mention, but I definitely agree with. I was thinking there were less billboards, and that they were harder to find in MW than in Paradise. Seems that's the consensus?

jobber

This game is hard...like FUCK THIS GAME hard. The highway patrol cops seem to only target me when I'm in a race. Random traffic showing up cauing you to crash. At the same time, it's glitchy as hell. I beat the #6 MW car by luck. I crashed and respawned in front of the other car but that car was waaaaay ahead of me. Then the MW car got stuck in a tunnel right before the finish line.

Bought the iOS version because of sale...such a different game:

- Why does the iOS version have more cars?
- Cars are bought?
- Upgrades/Mods are one use only? (fits the iOS model, I know)
- Races punish you for hitting cops with damage?
- Time races that discourages hitting cops, but they tap you instead? (like the time trials in Hot Pursuit 2010)

Xdye7

Fuuuck my game just froze while the HDD indicator was flashing. I had to turn my ps3 off and upon resarting it I got the system file restore thing. Started up the game and it's like I'm playing it for the first time, screen calibration, intro, first drive and race.

Anyways, all of my 99% singleplayer and 88% DLC completion is gone. I had first place in every race in every car and I was missing about 10 billboards and 10 security gates. For the DLC I just had to "find" some jackspots and get 3 more billboards, which I know the location of but didn't feel like doing.

The good news is that my Speed Points and Multiplayer progress remain the same. Every setting/option/mod/etc is reset and marked as new, though.

All of my scores/times/jump distances/etc have saved too. But, for example if I drive through a speed camera it will show my highest speed from before, but 1/66 speed cameras triggered. Same goes for billboards and security gates.

Fuuuck my game just froze while the HDD indicator was flashing. I had to turn my ps3 off and upon resarting it I got the system file restore thing. Started up the game and it's like I'm playing it for the first time, screen calibration, intro, first drive and race.

Anyways, all of my 99% singleplayer and 88% DLC completion is gone. I had first place in every race in every car and I was missing about 10 billboards and 10 security gates. For the DLC I just had to "find" some jackspots and get 3 more billboards, which I know the location of but didn't feel like doing.

The good news is that my Speed Points and Multiplayer progress remain the same. Every setting/option/mod/etc is reset and marked as new, though.

All of my scores/times/jump distances/etc have saved too. But, for example if I drive through a speed camera it will show my highest speed from before, but 1/66 speed cameras triggered. Same goes for billboards and security gates.
Well yes, that's part of the whole integrated "cross platform" thing: stats from one are placed on cloud, and all other devices that plays the same game gets it. I've been competing against some ridiculous Vita scores.

So, online seem to be hosed at the moment? Can't connect online on 360 right now.

This game is hard...like FUCK THIS GAME hard. The highway patrol cops seem to only target me when I'm in a race. Random traffic showing up cauing you to crash. At the same time, it's glitchy as hell. I beat the #6 MW car by luck. I crashed and respawned in front of the other car but that car was waaaaay ahead of me. Then the MW car got stuck in a tunnel right before the finish line.

This game is EASY. :p You just gotta shake the cops and dodge traffic. Compared to the original MW this game was a walk in the park.

Xdye7

So, online seem to be hosed at the moment? Can't connect online on 360 right now.

Same here for ps3.

Another person on my friends list got his save corrupted today too. He was 100% complete.

I also noticed a problem with the Pagani Zonda R. It has a hard time switching into the next gear at around 320 km/h. It will stutter for a while and you basically need to use boost to switch gears.

edit: it seems to happen only with short gears pro

edit 2: short gears pro causes it and the slower your setup is the worse it gets. With the slowest setup possible it doesn't even change in to the next gear; it just gets stuck there.

Guys ..wanna know what annoy me ? it's always that player !

if you've played multiplayer you know that player ..it's the player that is at the meeting point with a car that isn't allowed in the setlist yet doesn't understand that he need to change it ... he will move during the relocation period in and out of the green circle causing the room to hang on and the race/challenge to never start.

it's always "that" guy ..

i don't like you annoying player who can't read the bottom of the screen..change your damn car dammit!!!

Returners

Well yes, that's part of the whole integrated "cross platform" thing: stats from one are placed on cloud, and all other devices that plays the same game gets it. I've been competing against some ridiculous Vita scores.

Vita score? What Vita score? I don't need Vita score to beat you. ;D

bs000

111Oy.jpg

718.1 MPH Speed Run? Seems legit. ಠ_ಠ

anyone else having issues with the Xbox 360 version? Tried playing last night and it kept asking me to download the update and wouldnt connect to autolog. I tried deleting the update and restarting my xbox and the game a couple times and i kept getting the same stuff, everytime i fired up the game it would keep asking me to download the update even though i already did it. Pretty frustrating, I am in the mood to take a break from Black Ops2 and get back in to this game but I will not play if im not connected to autolog and the update was messing up the MP for me.

I cant find any info or updates on this other then a couple other people on the xbox forums having the same issues. I hope this gets fixed soon, I cant find any good NFS forums either?

bs000

anyone else having issues with the Xbox 360 version? Tried playing last night and it kept asking me to download the update and wouldnt connect to autolog. I tried deleting the update and restarting my xbox and the game a couple times and i kept getting the same stuff, everytime i fired up the game it would keep asking me to download the update even though i already did it. Pretty frustrating, I am in the mood to take a break from Black Ops2 and get back in to this game but I will not play if im not connected to autolog and the update was messing up the MP for me.

I cant find any info or updates on this other then a couple other people on the xbox forums having the same issues. I hope this gets fixed soon, I cant find any good NFS forums either?

Autolog was definitely acting up last night, but it seems to be ok now.

As for the asking you to update thing, that's happening for everyone. If you've already got it downloaded, just hit the B button to skip it and you can play normally. I think it happened in Hot Pursuit too, so I'm surprised they haven't fixed it.

Raxus

Man the new achievements for the DLC is hard. I still need to go through 5 security gates too.

Otherwise I am winding this game down. Love the new cars.

jobber

So I beat the koenigsegg race but when it came down to wreck it, it ran into traffic and crashed. I was going so fast that I missed hitting it. I found it on the side of the road disabled. I tried running into it but it didn't count as a take down. I spent 20 minutes after that driving waiting for it to troll me but it didn't.

Please tell me it's like the other cars and it will come out of hiding. That race is killing my thumbs.

jobber

wait wait wait wait wait wait

I beat the Koenigsegg and took it down BUT it's not showing up on my list. In fact, the race isn't even crossed out. I got no trophy/achievement for taking it down. I got no end credits or anything. I found that shit on the side of the road again. WTF?!?!

Yep ._.

edit: I actually didn't bother with the boards and gates again, if it came off as sarcastic in my original post.
so if you complete events does it add in your SP points ?

This is weird as possible.

wait wait wait wait wait wait

I beat the Koenigsegg and took it down BUT it's not showing up on my list. In fact, the race isn't even crossed out. I got no trophy/achievement for taking it down. I got no end credits or anything. I found that shit on the side of the road again. WTF?!?!

Bug
they need to correct this one and fast ... it also can happen on Vita

ismaboof

Had my game freeze twice in a row online. Both times I had just finished a speedlist. PS3 had to recover HD. At least the DLC is fun. :(

Been playing this since Friday...it's fun, but the police and having to drive to each race are ruining it for me. Driving around the city is simply not fun if it's not in a race, and too often I get pursued by cops just as I'm about to reach my destination. It's especially annoying as, so far, the police cruisers seem faster than just about any damn car in the game, and then if you get caught you wind up back at the car spawn point, probably miles away from the race you wanted to get to in the first place. Also, the AI for non-racer traffic is fucking moronic, and the game seems to relish in placing traffic beyond the apex of the corner, so you go drifting right into it at high speeds. Plus, I swear the AI racers have some bad rubber-banding, not Split Second levels of bad, but it's certainly noticeable and disappointing.

zugzug

see for me the online was utter asss, people are able to predict the start of a race and get headstart, the bad voice chat thats on by default, and just the constant ramming of everyone for no reason is just ugh makes me not want to play at all. Then you have Online races that are built around wrecking into others as a event.

Sometimes if you aren't pointed the right direction for the start of an online race you have zero chance, let alone if you get the jump start.

Online is so bad if you missed my point.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
see for me the online was utter asss, people are able to predict the start of a race and get headstart, the bad voice chat thats on by default, and just the constant ramming of everyone for no reason is just ugh makes me not want to play at all. Then you have Online races that are built around wrecking into others as a event.

Sometimes if you aren't pointed the right direction for the start of an online race you have zero chance, let alone if you get the jump start.

I'd disagree pretty much all around, and almost everything you said is what's great about the online play.

What's so great about the online play is the dirty play mechanic to it all. Races not having starting grids is awesome because yeah other people can get a head start, but guess what? So can you. It's an equal playing field but you're just refusing to adapt to it. No one knows which way they have to go so no ones at a disadvantage, you just gotta be ready to bolt at any moment.

There are plenty of games you can go to if you just want clean, follow the driving line, don't hit anyone racing but that's not what this game is about and it's much better for it. It feels great to just slam into a dudes side and completely wreck him, especially knowing that he's out of the event now and that's one less guy you have to compete against for the gold.

I do wish they'd change the voice chat thing or at least point out who had mics so you could more easily mute just them.

bs000

The race starts when the screen turns grey. That's the moment invulnerability is turned off and you can start scoring takedowns and get a headstart. Just don't hit the first checkpoint before the timer hits zero. :p

You can tell which direction the race starts by looking at the meetup text. You should be facing where you can see the text spelled forward.

Alsoooo, the further back you are, the faster you gain nitrous so all is not lost if you get a bad start. If you're way behind it's possible to earn nitrous faster than you can use it.

Top Bottom