• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

-Amon-

Yeah think it's just me but I've never had a problem before (clocked the original) with NFS games. Seemed like I wasn't doing much wrong but ended up 3rd or 4th. I guess I'll try again when this patch hits.

Really strange then. Sorry to hear that, i feel the difficulty is perfectly fine for me. There are some races where you have to memorize the course perfectly, but for me they where a couple of the last most wanted challenges. i had to choose my car and tuning accordingly and repeat the event 3 / 4 times but i found that perfectly acceptable, being those the final challenges in SP.

Xdye7

did you sleep in this game ? i think i've played a lot but you're over 5,000K of SP !
And some of your times are ridiculous. What the hell is going on ?

I won't be at ease untill i remove some of your faces in my city .. challenge accepted ! raaaaaaaaaaaaahhh

Haha I have a few flawless runs in some of the events. Any events in you were thinking of in particular? I think I got a near unbeatable speed in the BAC Mono on "The Getaway", which is 199.9 km/h. That was the hardest event IMO.

zulfate

i know all of us has it but if someone happens to be looking who is interested in buying it, origin has it for 25 bucks right now, such a steal!

Haha I have a few flawless runs in some of the events. Any events in you were thinking of in particular? I think I got a near unbeatable speed in the BAC Mono on "The Getaway", which is 199.9 km/h. That was the hardest event IMO.
Are you on ps3 only or have you played the game on multiples devices ?
You have an ambush event that is quite devious under the minute..i'm still ttying to understand how you managed to do it

You have an ambush event that is quite devious under the minute..i'm still ttying to understand how you managed to do it
I've gotten quite a few of those 40s ish ambush events, it takes quite a bit of luck, I guess, you literally have to ditch the cops right away and hide in somewhere close by.

Lima

You can complete every ambush event in under 30 seconds.

You can complete every ambush event in under 30 seconds.

there is one that put you in the middle of a building surornded by 8 cops cars you can't escape the zone under 30 secs and you need some time to cool down ( even with turning th eengine of).. but Xdye7 did it in 58 sec that's freaking impressive

Bog

Junior Ace
I got the Vita version after playing 30+ hours of the PS3 game, but none of my PSN or Origin friends' stats are showing up.

Sup with that?

there is one that put you in the middle of a building surornded by 8 cops cars you can't escape the zone under 30 secs and you need some time to cool down ( even with turning th eengine of).. but Xdye7 did it in 58 sec that's freaking impressive
The key to that one is not to take the obvious starting route, just climbing to the top (and risking that jump) eats at least 20 seconds off your time.

Well this is a fun bug: by challenging a friend's Most Wanted Race score (10) and losing that race, it's now marked as incomplete, and knocking my single player completion down from 100% to 96%. LOL

Grim1ock

Banned
Hello guys,

So what's the verdict on this game. The last time i played a need for speed game was back in the ps1 days. I am a predominantly GT player but i loved hot pursuit on the ps1.

How good is this game because i need something different from GT at the moment.

daviyoung

Banned
Ah ok, well Most Wanted is a purely arcade racer. The cops are there only as antagonists, there's no way to be one yet. You just have to evade them as best you can.

The driving mechanic is solid and simple, drifts are easy to pull off and nitro boost is obtained automatically or for pulling off stunts like near misses, taking down opponents etc. The focus of the game is largely on speed, with the skill lying in quick reactions rather than mastery of a specific car or track. I know I can't quantify it, but it's amazing fun and even better in multiplayer with challenges and other tests that don't rely purely on racing but rather on the other aspects of the game like taking down the most, drifting the most, jumping the longest etc.

There are light customization options too, but nothing groundbreaking or deep like in GT or Forza and everything is unlocked with XP, which you gain for doing pretty much anything.

Hot Pursuit 2010 is pretty cheap now so maybe look into that rather than this first. It'll let you know what the handling model and general gameplay is like, because Most Wanted is just HP2010 with more ancillary features.

Apologies if this has been answered, but I just finally got around to installing the game on PC. Try to launch it via Origin, it does the cloud sync, says "launching game" and then nothing happens.

I tried disabling cloud sync, and tried running Origin in offline mode, but neither have helped. Has anyone else run into this issue?

I'm on Windows 8 (64 bit), and I've tried turning compatibility mode on as well to no avail.

elektrixx

Banned
Apologies if this has been answered, but I just finally got around to installing the game on PC. Try to launch it via Origin, it does the cloud sync, says "launching game" and then nothing happens.

I tried disabling cloud sync, and tried running Origin in offline mode, but neither have helped. Has anyone else run into this issue?

I'm on Windows 8 (64 bit), and I've tried turning compatibility mode on as well to no avail.

Try running Origin as Administrator.

Xdye7

What does the gold sticker on the bottom right corner of your license plate indicate? Mine says "01" but I've seen 03, 14, etc.

Well I got the game running after reinstalling GPU drivers three times.

There hasn't been a single game that hasn't given me DX/Direct3D issues on Windows 8 so far to the point where I'm seriously considering just switching back to glorious Windows 7.

I'm six hours in, 30% done according to the game.

Why do the cops have a sixth sense? I outrun them by three or four miles, hide in a random area off the roads, under a tunnel and behind a bridge, and they still manage to find me. There's just too little incentive to bother with getting away. It seems like an artificial way to pad game time and is just an unenjoyable waste of time. I just let them catch me now after most races.

Graphics are great aside from the FPS drops. I need to look at the performance thread still, but my machine shouldn't be having issues with this game anywhere.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You should turn off Ambient Occlusion, it's a huge frame eater.

Along with that, it's much easier to get away from the cops if you jump off a big ramp. They usually shy away soon after.

I think I've played this game for about 90 minutes and have owned it since it came out. The cops absolutely ruin the game. Wish there was a way to turn them off. I wouldn't mind them if every God damn race didn't end with, "Yup. Sure am trying to outrun these police again."

Xdye7

Someone on my friends list apparently made a 600+ yard jump through the billboard under that bell/clock tower in that park area. Welp.

In the Bugatti I'm assuming?

I figured out what the gold sticker on license plates means. It's the amount of cars you've gotten the "Motorhead" (unlock all mods) or "Driver" (drive 643 kilometers) milestones for. Only one matters; having both won't increase the number on the gold sticker.

SmokyDave

Anyone had any stat issues in the Vita version?

I'm showing as having one car left to drive except I have the trophy for driving all cars and when I view the individual car stats, they all show as 'driven'.

In addition, I have 40 of 41 jackspots and I can't find the last one for the life of me. I gave up and consulted a map which shows a dot near the Bloomguard mall that just isn't present on my Version. This video shows where the car should be, but there's just empty tarmac for me :(

It's hardly a major issue but I'd like to fix it if possible.

elektrixx

Banned
Anyone had any stat issues in the Vita version?

I'm showing as having one car left to drive except I have the trophy for driving all cars and when I view the individual car stats, they all show as 'driven'.

In addition, I have 40 of 41 jackspots and I can't find the last one for the life of me. I gave up and consulted a map which shows a dot near the Bloomguard mall that just isn't present on my Version. This video shows where the car should be, but there's just empty tarmac for me :(

It's hardly a major issue but I'd like to fix it if possible.

You may have driven it in multiplayer by jacking someone else's.

I haven't done any research but I think there's some jack spots moved or missing or something from the Vita version. I'm quite sure there's meant to be a car out on the pier at the beach but I've never seen it on the Vita.

[edit] I think jack spots don't spawn sometimes too.

I think I've played this game for about 90 minutes and have owned it since it came out. The cops absolutely ruin the game. Wish there was a way to turn them off. I wouldn't mind them if every God damn race didn't end with, "Yup. Sure am trying to outrun these police again."

Hell no, the cops aren't annoying or anything. They have their own pursuit missions, but you don't hafta play them to beat the most wanted.

In the Bugatti I'm assuming?

I've tried it with powershot, burn and no nitrous from all three directions using the Bugatti. At full speed, it overshoots the billboard from two of those directions. From the third, the billboard can be clipped a bit under full speed, but there isn't enough room for a 600 yard jump.

I asked them; they don't know how it happened. It's the big jump in Hughes Park, 617 yds.

EDIT: She did it with the Alfa Romeo 4C Concept. There's no way that's legit.

SmokyDave

You may have driven it in multiplayer by jacking someone else's.
30+ hours in and I've never played multiplayer!

I haven't done any research but I think there's some jack spots moved or missing or something from the Vita version. I'm quite sure there's meant to be a car out on the pier at the beach but I've never seen it on the Vita.

[edit] I think jack spots don't spawn sometimes too.
Nah, the pier one's there. It's a Camaro IIRC.

Perhaps it just hasn't spawned yet for some reason. I'll fire up a multiplayer game and check the same location.

Cheers!

Xdye7

I've tried it with powershot, burn and no nitrous from all three directions using the Bugatti. At full speed, it overshoots the billboard from two of those directions. From the third, the billboard can be clipped a bit under full speed, but there isn't enough room for a 600 yard jump.

I asked them; they don't know how it happened. It's the big jump in Hughes Park, 617 yds.

EDIT: She did it with the Alfa Romeo 4C Concept. There's no way that's legit.

The only thing I can think of is she landed in the water and had the distance record as she was falling through the world

crispyben

What does the gold sticker on the bottom right corner of your license plate indicate? Mine says "01" but I've seen 03, 14, etc.
Isn't it the Concours thing, i.e. that game's equivalent of COD's Prestige?

Maybe that jackspot is for the car you're driving, so that's why it doesn't show up...

Skyzard

Banned
Ea canada made the best NFS games.

Except the Vita version has a very annoying bug with the friendslist causing constant freezes when online (after adding quite a few friends, which it offers in-game). Still not fixed.

Vita also isn't getting the DLC next week apparently.

Not that impressed.

-Sorry SmokyDave, haven't run into that issue but still have a few to unlock.

So yeah, my desire to go back to this game has dropped to zero right now. Playing the Autolog Recommends has rollbacked my Single Player progress, and I can't reclaim them (Most Wanted #10 is marked as incomplete, along with 60/10 races raced), even though I've cleared the entire SP game. I'm staying away from any events that may rollback my progress even further.

And with the amount of excessive grinding in MP (not to mention that some of the mixed playlist just doesn't work well with online players not reading/following the rules), I just feel a complete lack of need to come back until new content drops.

Finally got this game (PS3). I was a huge fan of Criterion's Hot Pursuit. This is another solid entry, but I do have some issues with it:

-Why are there less audio options in this game?
-The open world makes loading times longer and more frequent.
-The open world makes getting to a lot of races a pain in the ass, especially when a cop starts chasing you.
-I hate the open world approach to multiplayer most of all. It's the same problem Burnout Paradise had: it's a bunch of people trying to ram each other constantly. And when a race does actually start, there's no structure to it. Some people could be in a totally different starting point than others. If there's a multiplayer mode akin to HP's, I'd love to know about it, because the open world approach is not a good one.

Other than those issues, the game is still fun. I definitely prefer Hot Pursuit though. I care more about racing than I do about breaking billboards.

-I hate the open world approach to multiplayer most of all. It's the same problem Burnout Paradise had: it's a bunch of people trying to ram each other constantly. And when a race does actually start, there's no structure to it. Some people could be in a totally different starting point than others. If there's a multiplayer mode akin to HP's, I'd love to know about it, because the open world approach is not a good one.
It really ends up being a social problem than a game issue. I actually really like the freestyle startup point for a race, and the jockeying for position or taking someone down does make the races interesting (I've always shown up late to the meetup using the Raptor just to screw with people's heads).

But yes, there's no real "competitive" race setup, a somewhat baffling decision given that such an option existed in both Paradise and in HP (as empty as those queue/lobbys always seems to be)

Xdye7

Isn't it the Concours thing, i.e. that game's equivalent of COD's Prestige?

I meant the little gold sticker with a car and a number on it in the bottom right corner of the license plate. See:

I figured out what the gold sticker on license plates means. It's the amount of cars you've gotten the "Motorhead" (unlock all mods) or "Driver" (drive 643 kilometers) milestones for. Only one matters; having both won't increase the number on the gold sticker.

Has anyone here done Concours (on ps3)? Any problems after you've done it?

Top Bottom