• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

How is the game for someone like me who isn't into multiplayer and doesn't have a booming list of friends. Is there enough singleplayer content yup satisfy?

Eusis

How is the game for someone like me who isn't into multiplayer and doesn't have a booming list of friends. Is there enough singleplayer content yup satisfy?
Well, there's a 2000 friend limit on PS4 now, so you could just go crazy adding people here. But given the nature of the multiplayer I don't think it'll be a big deal unless you're actively avoiding playing with others, in which case it seems to just spawn bots instead.

slapnuts

Good question...i do not like playing racing games online unless its only with friends but even still..most of my time playing racing games are single player for some reason.

Anyone that has the game want to chime on in on how this game is playing without any multiplayer going on? I really do want to get one racing game for PS4 and this is my only option for the time being. Any input on just single player alone would be appreciated...put it this way..lets just say no internet connected..how does Rivals play?

kazebyaka

Banned
You're looking at it the wrong way. Rivals keeps you racing the ENTIRE time.

Finish in first with cops on your tail? Nice work. Now race to the closest hideout and bank those points before you're busted. Rivals is a constant scramble to the next checkpoint, finish line, repair shop or hideout. It never lets up.

Don't want to go back to a hideout? Start another race and combo your points. Big risk, big reward.

I can't start a race while cops after me, and while i'm finding a race on the map they bust me. So i have to go back to hideout every time i score some buck, and it takes half a minute to do so. And then i have to teleport to a race again, rinse and repeat. I'd be fine, if cops wouldn't chase me without a provokation on my part, this is what really kills the game for me...

Good question...i do not like playing racing games online unless its only with friends but even still..most of my time playing racing games are single player for some reason.

Anyone that has the game want to chime on in on how this game is playing without any multiplayer going on? I really do want to get one racing game for PS4 and this is my only option for the time being. Any input on just single player alone would be appreciated...put it this way..lets just say no internet connected..how does Rivals play?

There's basically three types of multiplayer options. Singleplayer, which is just you and AI racers and cops. Friends only, which as you can guess, is only available to people on your friends list. And Public, which is open to any and all and random people will join and leave your world.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

You do get to chose if you want to play offline, with friends only or public.

As for choosing the R1, wait till the racer is beside you or a little behind you and then hit R1.

However, it does not apply to any event because it puts the other racers ahead of you, automatically.

Game is fun, just don't take it too seriously. Have fun with it.
Im not taking it too serious it just seems it has no real objective

Fusebox

Banned

I don't usually play multi games but this one is different, you just go about your single player business and if a real life racer happens to blow past you when you're playing cop mode you can choose to chase them or just ignore them and go about your regular objectives. Give it a try guys, just load the game and let it do its thing.

Can yoi chain boost in this a la burnout? As in, long as I drift, drive in uncoming traffic and hit other raxers with pursuit tech while boosting, i get another full tank of Nos?

Still can for the life of me understand why NFS games dont at the very least have a Burnout mode, if EA wont go full burnout.

Mohasus

So, during a loading screen it said that I could jump in at any event as soon as I'm out of the garage, how do I do this?

edit: oh, I just need to select the event on the map, thought it was through easydrive, duh.

Can yoi chain boost in this a la burnout? As in, long as I drift, drive in uncoming traffic and hit other raxers with pursuit tech while boosting, i get another full tank of Nos?

Still can for the life of me understand why NFS games dont at the very least have a Burnout mode, if EA wont go full burnout.
There's the perfect nitrous, but you can't hit anything while using it.

anddo0

There's basically three types of multiplayer options. Singleplayer, which is just you and AI racers and cops. Friends only, which as you can guess, is only available to people on your friends list. And Public, which is open to any and all and random people will join and leave your world.

wow you can do this?
I guess I should look at the options menu.

I'm not a huge fan of online games. But I've been playing in open rooms now for 8 hours+, and it's not an issue. It's very easy to avoid other players (unless they're over aggressive cops). In my opinion, playing in an open room is the best way to go, you get the best of both worlds.

are you playing with experienced players?

Most of the time its just random rooms. I have no idea how experienced the players are. I do go out of my way to try to find and challenge others, but very few have actually raced me head to head. If it's a cop I usually end up in a demolition derby match with him to see who can wreck each other first.

As far as the main game though, I feel the challenges/missions are a nice challenge, but nothing too difficult unless you miss a turn, wreck or accidentally hit oncoming traffic.

The thing is, once you get good with an NFS game, it's all over. You'll win every race. The difficulty curve sort of flatlines 3/4 of the way through.

Ah. This has actually been my first NFS game since NFS III: Hot Pursuit. I'd say being able to control your car is the biggest advantage and once you figure it out the game gets easier. Also knowing when to use the techs are a huge help.

Is there a free roam so you can drive around and admire the scenery without being chased by cops? If not, does driving slow (speed limit) prevent cops?

Am I the only way finding this game hard as hell? Seems like even a easy race has me fighting tooth and nail to win. The difficulty adds tons of tension to this game though. I'll be in a race, damage critical, finish line in my sight, neck and neck with another racer. He'll pop his turbo but mine is on recharge. Before he pulls away I pop my shockwave and pull head and win.

Holy shit few games can give that kinda feel.

poros1ty

I can't start a race while cops after me, and while i'm finding a race on the map they bust me. So i have to go back to hideout every time i score some buck, and it takes half a minute to do so. And then i have to teleport to a race again, rinse and repeat. I'd be fine, if cops wouldn't chase me without a provokation on my part, this is what really kills the game for me...

This game requires some multitasking. You need to be driving, looking at the minimap, and using the easydrive menu (sometimes) all at the same time. You don't have to return to the hideout so often. I only do it either to a) complete asignment b) bank a large amount of pts c) imminent bust or heat too high, etc.

You absolutely can start a race while the cops are on you. Once you finish a race and lose cops that are on you, use the easydrive menu to find an event. Once you make it there, even if you have cops on you you can still start the event.

J-P

Neo Member
Just picked it up. Add me please. Atlanta, mostly play evenings and late nights.

PSN id: PEEEZY187

iFootball

I caved-in and ended buying this game on PS4 yesterday lol... I used my PSN $10 voucher and ordered the digital copy through the PSN App on my phone... it was kinda cool that it started downloading automatically as I was still at work, so once I got home is was ready to go!

The game is sure is fun and looks very nice, but I do need to spend more time on it.

Add me as well! PSN : NullPointer

Cheska

I see a lot of talk about this being relatively difficult. Does that mean it's not very user friendly? I picked up the last copy at Gamestop last Friday but it's the only PS4 game that is still sealed because I'm hesitant that I'll be turned off by the learning curve.

On the fence about this game. I'm going to be trading in or selling my PS4 version of FIFA 14 soon and I don't know whether to pick this game up or not.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I see a lot of talk about this being relatively difficult. Does that mean it's not very user friendly? I picked up the last copy at Gamestop last Friday but it's the only PS4 game that is still sealed because I'm hesitant that I'll be turned off by the learning curve.

No, it's super easy to learn, honestly. It's just difficult to master. Each car handles differently, the upgrades, etc.

I know its Need for Speed and it is all about the racing, but the "story" and cutscenes were always a guilty pleasure of mine in the pre-Criterion NFS games.

I see that this game has a story, but to what extent? I'm assuming it will be almost non-existent, but I'm hoping for a little more than that.

D23

This game is not that hard man. It's an arcade racing game. Very fun. You should open it now

denshuu

Game feels great, but so far, the one technical issue I've found on PC is keeping me from getting back into it.

It sounds like the same problem the last-gen versions have, where the maps won't load. Except on PC, they do load. The game just freezes you in place until it finishes loading. Literally, your car just stops where it is. You can swing the camera around and take a look at everything being frozen in time like the God damn Matrix, but you won't regain control until it's done drawing the map in front of you.

This is the same thing Need For Speed Undercover did if any you had the utter pleasure of playing that on PC. Until that's fixed I don't know if I can jump back in.

You can start a race with the cops on your tail. I've done it many times where they'll be right next to me while I brake to get one going. Sometimes they even help the other racers crash into them before you even get going. Use the easy drive menu to help you find locations without loading the whole map.

Does anyone have this and AC4 on the PS4? Which would you recommend?

Will get the other Thursday, but I'm just curious.

I do have them both. However, I haven't opened my AC IV yet, neither have I opened my BF4, Ghosts, Knack. I played few hours of Killzone first and then I played this game, it got me hooked right away. I didn't even switch the disc since Friday but that's just me.

txag2005

Banned
Oh my god...this game is so rage inducing to me...

almost like 80k sp, I repair about 0.5 miles from the hideout and so many cops spawn all around me they end up busting me right outside the hideout.

I have to be up to 400k lost at this point.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Everytime this thread is bumped I go look to see if Amazon has shipped my copy yet. Still nothing. Today I went ahead and canceled it. It shouldn't effect the promo that I got should it? They already billed me for the other 2 games I received as part of the buy 2 get 1.

The way they handled this was to give around 20 bucks off each game. I guess I'll try to go find it in stock somewhere locally.

Oh my god...this game is so rage inducing to me...

almost like 80k sp, I repair about 0.5 miles from the hideout and so many cops spawn all around me they end up busting me right outside the hideout.

I have to be up to 400k lost at this point.

This is worrysome... There is an achievement to bank 500,000k at once too.

Although I did see a vid where a guy built up 115k in 6-7 minutes by evading the cops.

Samus4145

So excited, my Amazon copy should be here in a couple hours. Will stream some tonight of me fumbling around. Probably won't be using PS4 twitch app, but capture card.

sangreal

I know its Need for Speed and it is all about the racing, but the "story" and cutscenes were always a guilty pleasure of mine in the pre-Criterion NFS games.

I see that this game has a story, but to what extent? I'm assuming it will be almost non-existent, but I'm hoping for a little more than that.

I've only finished the cop campagin but every few assignments there is a cheesy montage of fake computer/tv screens and some voiceover of news broadcasts

txag2005

Banned
This is worrysome... There is an achievement to bank 500,000k at once too.

Although I did see a vid where a guy built up 115k in 6-7 minutes by evading the cops.

I'm just playing single player right now, but the cops are relentless. I had just gotten to level 4 when that incident I just posted about happened and I swarmed and hit with about 2-3 pursuit techs at once. Apparently one of the playlists has you get to level 9. I don't even know how on earth you get to that point.

As much as I've enjoyed this game, honestly maybe it's just not what I'm looking for. You literally are being chased and rammed by cops 90% of the time. Sometimes I just want to race without all the extra BS.

NSF network app is up on iTunes and android.

Link for the Android app in the Play Store? I couldn't find one.

I'm just playing single player right now, but the cops are relentless. I had just gotten to level 4 when that incident I just posted about happened and I swarmed and hit with about 2-3 pursuit techs at once. Apparently one of the playlists has you get to level 9. I don't even know how on earth you get to that point.

As much as I've enjoyed this game, honestly maybe it's just not what I'm looking for. You literally are being chased and rammed by cops 90% of the time. Sometimes I just want to race without all the extra BS.

I was on heat level 10 last night. I banked around 250k in a single session. At that point my heart was beating fast and i didn't want to risk it for the 500k challenge. I found myself a hideout and did a bunch of upgrades.

At heat level 10, all the money i was getting is at a m check higher pace probably because of the multiplier. Fun times.

Does anyone have this and AC4 on the PS4? Which would you recommend?

Will get the other Thursday, but I'm just curious.

They are two completely different games.

I have both and I enjoy both of them, its hard to recommended one.

If your like me and you really like AC games, and you really like racing games, it comes down to which you prefer right now. I think AC will probably drop in price faster so I'd say go NFS and pick up AC when it drops(but AC is definitely worth it, best since 2 IMO)

blackflag

Game is a blast but I gotta level up some offline now that I finally figured out that is possible. I was getting a train ran on me last night online by cops. It was brutal...First days Demon's Soul's flashbacks as all my points kept disappearing.

slapnuts

Thanks bud...glad i rechecked this thread.

Top Bottom