• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

slapnuts

I don't usually play multi games but this one is different, you just go about your single player business and if a real life racer happens to blow past you when you're playing cop mode you can choose to chase them or just ignore them and go about your regular objectives. Give it a try guys, just load the game and let it do its thing.

Thanks for your input as well..much appreciated

I'm with Fusebox on this one. I never really look to multiplayer for the lionshare of my fun with any game, but Rivals is different, and made for a real suprise.

It feels a lot more like a single player game that happens to have other people in it, and you find that when you try your otherwise offline objectives with or against other players, everything about the game goes up to 11.

Its a nice and loose mix of co-op and competitive, free roaming and side objectives, and its a lot more crazy fun that it may look.

One question though: Often, when playing a cop you hear radio chatter from other cops or HQ talking about chases going on. Is there a quick way to waypoint yourself to those chases? I kindof ignore the chatter and bring up the map and set my own waypoints - in order to chase other players down, but it'd be nice if there was a way to quickly jump into the action that's being talked about on the radio.

How to you know when your're racing against or doing any of the other objectives, do they have icons over car?
Player names show above the cars. You also get a big notice on the top of the screen if you're closing within a short distance of another player.

I've been playing as an undercover cop (car looks like a racer) and hunting down players exclusively. So satisfying :)

dantehemi

Let's talk setup.

What are some of your favourite pursuit techs? I'm a turbo junkie and always have that on as a racer and I'm starting to really like the emp missile, but getting a clean lock takes some practice.

When it comes to upgrades I find myself upgrading durability right away and then focusing on handling, as it seems that an overall fast car is not crazy important in the early stages.

I'm really loving my Ferrari 458 and I think it may be the first car I take to full mod and pursuit tech levels. What cars are you guys really digging so far?

I have yet to play as a cop yet, just having so much fun playing the race mode...what's the consensus on here as to what mode you play more?

I like using shockwave and ESF the most. A nice hit with the shockwave mid turn usually messes up people and ESF is just nice to get others off of you.

I was on the SLS and the 918 Spyder for the longest time, but I've been on the Veneno for a while now. I got the P1, but since it's not fully upgraded, I'm enjoying the Veneno better.

Player names show above the cars. You also get a big notice on the top of the screen if you're closing within a short distance of another player.

I've been playing as an undercover cop (car looks like a racer) and hunting down players exclusively. So satisfying :)

It's pretty fun being the only cop in a room full of racers. Since I just started doing the cop career, all my cars are kind of slow and its kind of difficult to catch up to some others.

Nokterian

Going to get it on PS3 after seeing Totalbiscuit video they shoehorned the PC version it's mindblowing how bad those guys are at Ghost and EA.

dantehemi

P1 is the final car correct? Do you find that once you got that vehicle all others were useless...just wanna know in a few weeks will we be seeing all p1s on the map cause it's the fastest car in the game?

P1 is the final car correct? Do you find that once you got that vehicle all others were useless...just wanna know in a few weeks will we be seeing all p1s on the map cause it's the fastest car in the game?

Yep, final car. So far I've preferred the Veneno over the P1. My Veneno is fully upgraded while the P1 isn't yet, so I'll probably give the P1 another shot once I have more SP to upgrade it fully.

I was just attempting the 500,000 SP Trophy and got wrecked at 400,000. I missed a turn and attempted to U-turn, but then got hit by 4 cops all at once. As soon as I respawned, I got hit by another wave of cops that took me out. Feels bad man.

molnizzle

Just had my third game crash in the PS4 version. I'm positive it has something to do with EA/Origin as I haven't experienced this in any games but BF4 and NFS Rivals. I was 10k away from the "100k in one session" objective. So fucking annoying.

EDIT: There also needs to be some sort of "respawn" command for when your car gets stuck in geometry or clips through to an area that you can't get out of. This happens all the time and your only options are to either quit or join a new session.

EDIT (2): Game fucking crashed again while looking for a new session after I got stuck in geometry. AWESOME.

Just had my third game crash in the PS4 version. I'm positive it has something to do with EA/Origin as I haven't experienced this in any games but BF4 and NFS Rivals. I was 10k away from the "100k in one session" objective. So fucking annoying.

EDIT: There also needs to be some sort of "respawn" command for when your car gets stuck in geometry or clips through to an area that you can't get out of. This happens all the time and your only options are to either quit or join a new session.

EDIT (2): Game fucking crashed again while looking for a new session after I got stuck in geometry. AWESOME.

That's weird...I haven't had any crashes at all on the PS4 version. I also haven't been stuck in anywhere after crashing as well. The only thing that's bothered me is sometimes the crash clips go on longer than normal.

Smokey

So where do you sign into origin for this game on ps4? Everytime I try and do something it says I must be signed into PSN and EA servers to access online features.. Ok.. But where do I do that at? It doesn't give me an option other than "ok"

molnizzle

So where do you sign into origin for this game on ps4? Everytime I try and do something it says I must be signed into PSN and EA servers to access online features.. Ok.. But where do I do that at? It doesn't give me an option other than "ok"

My Origin account had already been linked to my PSN so I never had to do anything. Try adding your PSN on the Origin website if you haven't already.

Speaking of which, helping out my friends from my iPhone is pretty fucking cool. First positive thing I can say about Origin's existence.

FatBaby

Is anyone using the Need for Speed Network app on iOS/iPad having problems with it? It was working great early this morning and now it keeps on saying it can't fetch whatever data it needs or it has me constantly trying to log in.

I'd like to assume the severs are having problems, but I just wanna make sure it isn't just me or something.

I was just attempting the 500,000 SP Trophy and got wrecked at 400,000. I missed a turn and attempted to U-turn, but then got hit by 4 cops all at once. As soon as I respawned, I got hit by another wave of cops that took me out. Feels bad man.

Ouch that hurts man. I know what you mean though, you have almost full health/strength and all of a sudden you lose it all being rammed by cops within a matter of few seconds.

Frustratingly fun.

J-P

Neo Member
Why will it say i've escaped, only to turn around 3 seconds later and say "pursuit resumed"? I can figure that out. Do the cops show up on the mini map so you can try to avoid them? I never see them.

Jobbs

Banned
I've been playing this game... And, you know, obviously I like it because I like all the criterion games, and this is the same type of thing...

The problem is I can't get any relief from pursuits. I can't go to events, I can't go exploring, I can't dink around, I barely have any time or any room to do anything but run from police. I escape one pursuit and another one starts two seconds later.

This is ridiculous. It's GTA with permanent wanted level. Can anyone with more experience please tell me if there's just something I'm missing, or does playing this game as a racer = Running from police 98% of the time?

The above video is obnoxious.

He spends so much time screaming about cutscenes and the tutorial he misses the explanation of the game's premise, then complains he doesn't understand what's happening.

Don't act like a petulant child. There are valid criticisms about Rivals; why lose your mind over the opening cut scene you see once during the entire game?

Bizazedo

Is there a way to pull up the map while driving / see if the other players are racer or cops while driving?

I keep ending up in rooms where we're all cops or racers.

The above video is obnoxious.

He spends so much time screaming about cutscenes and the tutorial he misses the explanation of the game's premise, then complains he doesn't understand what's happening.

Don't act like a petulant child. There are valid criticisms about Rivals; why lose your mind over the opening cut scene you see once during the entire game?

I watched his video as I was loading NFS last night. He goes over the top, but man, I kind of agree. Having to go through those long tutorials and the abrupt cuts to the Youtube like demonstration videos was severely irritating. Being forced to do both tutorials was also infuriating.

Jobbs

Banned
Is there a way to pull up the map while driving / see if the other players are racer or cops while driving?

I keep ending up in rooms where we're all cops or racers.

I watched his video as I was loading NFS last night. He goes over the top, but man, I kind of agree. Having to go through those long tutorials and the abrupt cuts to the Youtube like demonstration videos was severely irritating. Being forced to do both tutorials was also infuriating.

What on earth is the rationale for having long forced cutscenes of pointless monologues that have nothing to do with a racing game? It's not loading, because it doesn't do this after the first time.

Why force people to sit through this pointless monologue? It's not even a story game. It's a damn racing game. Just let me in the car and let me damn drive. Have cutscenes and monologues and tutorials *all you want*, but don't force me to sit through them. I seriously lost my shit over this when I first played, and TB's video was cathartic to watch.

Smokey

My Origin account had already been linked to my PSN so I never had to do anything. Try adding your PSN on the Origin website if you haven't already.

Speaking of which, helping out my friends from my iPhone is pretty fucking cool. First positive thing I can say about Origin's existence.

Weird. It says my PSN account is linked on my Origin account.

I played for two hours last night on the 360 and had a blast. Only got busted once though. I bank points as often as I can, I have no intention of doing the 500k achievement lol. Really glad I picked it up!

Jobbs

Banned
I'm trying hard to like this game, but I'm finding the pursuits to be too frequent and too aggressive. Completing two events -- one time trial and one head to head -- And by the time I do that, just two events, I have the entire city trying to destroy me and they're virtually impossible to escape. They are relentless. They are endless. And even if you do escape, the pursuit resumes seconds later. They even seem to psychicly find you if you hid out of view while ahead of them. There's no reprieve.

In GTA, escaping a high wanted level was generally a consequence of your actions and not the desirable part of the gameplay. In NFSR, it *is* the game. And I'm not sure if I like it.

GHG

Gold Member
So I'm interested in this game. Personally I'm not fussed about the 30fps thing considering its an arcade racer (as long as its a smooth 30fps).

Are the graphics better on the PC maxed out or on the PS4?

J-P

Neo Member
So I'm interested in this game. Personally I'm not fussed about the 30fps thing considering its an arcade racer (as long as its a smooth 30fps).

Are the graphics better on the PC maxed out or on the PS4?

I see a lot of frame drops on PS4

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm trying hard to like this game, but I'm finding the pursuits to be too frequent and too aggressive. Completing two events -- one time trial and one head to head -- And by the time I do that, just two events, I have the entire city trying to destroy me and they're virtually impossible to escape. They are relentless. They are endless. And even if you do escape, the pursuit resumes seconds later. They even seem to psychicly find you if you hid out of view while ahead of them. There's no reprieve.

In GTA, escaping a high wanted level was generally a consequence of your actions and not the desirable part of the gameplay. In NFSR, it *is* the game. And I'm not sure if I like it.
That's the most annoying thing. I often just sit there and get a heat level for sitting there. It's easy to shake the cops but it's still a nuisance.

I played for two hours last night on the 360 and had a blast. Only got busted once though. I bank points as often as I can, I have no intention of doing the 500k achievement lol. Really glad I picked it up!
Second person to mention the 360, is it as buggy as suggested previously in the thread?

Second person to mention the 360, is it as buggy as suggested previously in the thread?

Not from my expierence, I was worried about it though. It has only frozen once and that was when I first got put into the online mode after the tutorials. Restarted it and didn't have any more issues since I switched it to private. Haven't played again online yet.

Can't comment on the graphics. My tv has really bad jaggies... but no pop in or other issues yet.

Any comparisons regarding the controllers? Xbox One controller seems pretty awesome for Forza. Pre-ordered both, and for me it all comes down to the controller.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm with Fusebox on this one. I never really look to multiplayer for the lionshare of my fun with any game, but Rivals is different, and made for a real suprise.

It feels a lot more like a single player game that happens to have other people in it, and you find that when you try your otherwise offline objectives with or against other players, everything about the game goes up to 11.

Its a nice and loose mix of co-op and competitive, free roaming and side objectives, and its a lot more crazy fun that it may look.

You were a fan of Forza Horizon if I recall correctly, how do you like Rivals? It seems similar in the way it's an open-world racing game, but with the addition of mingleplayer. Is it as fun as Horizon? I plan to get it on 360 if anything, does the game perform well on current gen systems?

You were a fan of Forza Horizon if I recall correctly, how do you like Rivals? It seems similar in the way it's an open-world racing game, but with the addition of mingleplayer. Is it as fun as Horizon? I plan to get it on 360 if anything, does the game perform well on current gen systems?
Honestly I think of them as very different games.

Horizon for me was cockpit view and no assists and a lot of grand tour free roaming and stunts, with some races to mix things up. Oh and Rally too, and wearing GAF created liveries while kicking up the dirt.

There are similar elements here, sure. Both have gorgeous open world environments at 30fps, both have rivals/auto-log elements, speed cameras, speed zones and leaderboards. Where Forza has in-depth upgrades and visual customizations, there are fewer options in NFS, but its more about whether you slot an EMP package and Turbo or Shockrams and the like. And unlike Horizon, your free roam time comes with a mix of objectives, which I guess is similar to the car challenges added to Horizon after launch, but you have more choices of objectives in NFS: Rivals, and completing all of the objectives in a particular set is key to progressing and unlocking, both as a cop and as a racer.

This game is all about the chase, and either the action of the takedowns or escaping them in a mad dash to the hideout. Its cat and mouse and stunts with a much more seamless multiplayer - along the lines of Test Drive Unlimited. I've always been a fan of the TDU model of multiplayer, and while NFS is a much smaller setup - you're put into discrete lobbies with what, five other players? It still provides an amazing level of dynamism to a world already populated with events and AI racers and drivers.

Taking down other players as a cop, or trying to survive long enough to reach your hideout as a racer so you can bank your hard earned points - these are always a crazy good time. And since the player count is small, everything feels a little more personal. Real rivalries can develop.

I had one player racer that escaped me every damn time until I figured out his tricks and took him down twice in a row, shutting down his heat streak. He actually hunted me down after that and took me down on a quiet country road. As I sat there in my wreck I had to respect the back and forth we had. That's a rare thing for me in multiplayer games and this one seems well balanced to produce those moments on a regular basis.

Its definitely my happiest surprise of the launch games.

I had one player racer that escaped me every damn time until I figured out his tricks and took him down twice in a row, shutting down his heat streak. He actually hunted me down after that and took me down on a quiet country road. As I sat there in my wreck I had to respect the back and forth we had. That's a rare thing for me in multiplayer games and this one seems well balanced to produce those moments on a regular basis.

This right here is what really drew me in for the first time. I usually don't even play multiplayer when it comes to games, but it's integrated so well into rivals. I had a another player who was a cop, chase me down and wreck me twice. I made it a point to go back and find him and managed to wreck him twice after. It becomes a very enjoyable competition.

Samus4145

I preordered this from Amazon and it still hasn't shipped. Anyone else in this boat?

Contact Amazon CS. I was in the same boat. Called them up and they said they would give me free next day delivery when it does ship, but they didn't have a set time (my status mentioned they had no idea and would email when they did). A couple hours later I get an email that the game has shipped and will arrive the next day.

jaypah

Wait, what? I never thought about what undercover would be like. That sounds amazing! That's what I'm trying when I get home. I'll also be playing as a regular racer too. Add me if you like, PSN: Jaypah and my wife, PSN: EmWii504

edit: That friend invite goes for everyone. PS4 version here.

is there a downside to an undercover cop car? like significantly lower stats? sounds like a huge advantage, I wouldn't use anything else if I played a cop or online (I play offline now, too many races spoiled due to host migrate and having to restart race)

is there a downside to an undercover cop car? like significantly lower stats? sounds like a huge advantage, I wouldn't use anything else if I played a cop or online (I play offline now, too many races spoiled due to host migrate and having to restart race)
As far as I've seen you can't upgrade cop cars to the extent you can with racers. So you can't add strength, durability, acceleration, etc. So I'd imagine the regular marked cop cars can take more damage as well as dish more of it out.

Will have to take a closer look at the individual car stats next time I play.

As far as I've seen you can't upgrade cop cars to the extent you can with racers. So you can't add strength, durability, acceleration, etc. So I'd imagine the regular marked cop cars can take more damage as well as dish more of it out.

Will have to take a closer look at the individual car stats next time I play.

ah ok that makes sense, thats a lot more balanced

I love how you can upgrade cars so much so that I pick my favorite car versus the best performing one.

game has a lot of depth, felt like an idiot that I hadnt been using using turbo for my racing missions since I like using the shockwave and EMP pulse thing so much.

I think one of the best innovations in the game is that you get a bunch of experience/points just for taking part in races so unlike other racers I have played, I dont feel like its wasted time if I lose a key race since I can just bank the points and level up my car. often later game missions in racers get frustating as races get harder, and wiping out at the last mile means all your work till that point was for nothing.

Chorazin

I was so incredibly excited for this, then I started playing....how the FUCK do i actually get away from cops (both real and AI) to save money? I'm trying to complete Speed lists but I'm getting reamed by cops. I've lost 25000, 45000, and just now another 14500 points before I could make it to base.

It's not even fun, just frustrating as hell!

sangreal

is there an upside? don't you show up as a cop to other players anyway? the CPU doesn't give a shit, you can pull up behind a racer in a marked cop car or an UC car and they won't react until you hit them

the stats are different though, yes. for a while I thought they must have different pursuit techs because I kept getting "new pursuit techs unlocked" long after I had all the level 4 techs available but nope

I was so incredibly excited for this, then I started playing....how the FUCK do i actually get to save money? I'm trying to complete Speed lists but I'm getting reamed by cops. I've lost 25000, 45000, and just now another 14500 points before I could make it to base.

It's not even fun, just frustrating as hell!

What car are you using? Do you have any pursuit tech to fight them? I've only been busted once, but some cars are a lot better than others. Right now I'm using the Austin Martin with emp and jammer and it's working really good.

Chorazin

What car are you using? Do you have any pursuit tech to fight them? I've only been busted once, but some cars are a lot better than others. Right now I'm using the Austin Martin with emp and jammer and it's working really good.

I'm stuck in the Porsche due to constantly losing money, but I do have Jammer and Turbo. Can I play offline somehow? Or just not allow human cops into the game? I'm already sick and tired of getting busted and I've barely played two hours.

sangreal

I'm stuck in the Porsche due to constantly losing money, but I do have Jammer and Turbo. Can I play offline somehow? Or just not allow human cops into the game? I'm already sick and tired of getting busted and I've barely played two hours.

you can play offline or on a private game

and this is why I feel like such a griefer busting people :(

Top Bottom