• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

NHale

Current gen version of this game has so many technical problems, I don't even want to compile a list.

I'll just post this (sorry about the shitty quality photo):

This is me driving along the interstate. None of it ever loaded in and then it froze my position seconds later, which required quitting the game. The game constantly freezes your car in a single position for significant periods of time, letting you watch as it loads in the world ahead of you. The game requires a mandatory hard drive installation even, but still has these streaming issues.

The biggest threat on the current-gen version of this isn't outrunning the police to bank your speedpoints, but rather trying to reach your hideout before the game glitches and forces you to quit or puts you into a cycle of constant crashing on respawn until you're wrecked.

Cross-gen games mean less time working on each platform and it shows. Battlefield 4 and COD: Ghosts suffer from the same kind of problems.

I know people not interested in buying a next-gen console don't agree with me but until developers go next-gen exclusive this is going to continue to happen.

My god I can't even count how much sp I've lost as a racer so far. Just finished a hot pursuit in first, had almost 50k and boom...busted before I can get to the hideout. Six miles of getting hit by EMP's and rammed off the road by countless cops ends up doing that.

Yeah I probably suck at the game, but it's getting irritating. I really don't want to have to grind easier events but I feel like I have to at this point. Is there something I'm missing other than, "Don't suck"?

Cross-gen games mean less time working on each platform and it shows. Battlefield 4 and COD: Ghosts suffer from the same kind of problems.

I know people not interested in buying a next-gen console don't agree with me but until developers go next-gen exclusive this is going to continue to happen.

Game works fine on the PS4. I haven't had any issues yet so far.

undecided

I can't say this much about Amazon but they are really starting to aggravate me. I ordered this on Nov 12 for ps4 as part of the deal. The other 2 games I've already gotten but for NFS I still don't even have an estimated shipping day. Frustrating because I really need a racer for ps4 that was supposed to be DriveClub but well yea.

Some of the impressions here seem very love it or hate it. I was one of the few that didn't really enjoy burnout because it was an open world game so maybe this really isn't the racer I want but it will have to do.

I have the same issue.. Amazon did not ship my copy and has no estimate. I contacted their support for details and they said "Unfortunately our inventory and delivery dates are estimates only and not guarantees.". Thanks a lot, Amazon.

This game is extremely awesome. I've only spent an hour or two with it (playing mainly as a cop on ps4) and I already love the handling of the cars, the structure of the multiplayer (which is basically the whole game), really liking how it looks. It's just a fun as hell arcade racer, which I love. It's best moments are when you and three others are all chasing two guys around the city for 10 minutes trying to bust them.

kaskade

It doesn't really look like I'm seeing any black friday deals for it. I probably should've just went with this over battlefield since this game at least works right now.

aro52

This game is extremely awesome. I've only spent an hour or two with it (playing mainly as a cop on ps4) and I already love the handling of the cars, the structure of the multiplayer (which is basically the whole game), really liking how it looks. It's just a fun as hell arcade racer, which I love. It's best moments are when you and three others are all chasing two guys around the city for 10 minutes trying to bust them.

Heck yeah! I don't even know what I'm "suppose to be doing", but just cruising around wrecking fools as a cop is super super fun!

I have this game on order with amazon (part of the b2g1 deal) but Im thinking about possibly selling it.

I had a lot of fun with Hot Pursuit and I picked up Most Wanted when it was released but didn't play it much mostly due to the deja vu it gave me from Hot Pursuit....it felt like the same game minus playing as the cops.

I want to play Rivals but Im afraid that Im going to get the same feeling that I had from Most Wanted and end up not playing it because it feels too similar to the previous game.

Could someone that has the game share some insight into this and help me make the right decision?

RawNuts

At least Battlefield 4 and COD: Ghosts were completely playable on current-gen; Rivals is a rather different scenario. I don't even see it as a case of splitting development time on different platforms, but as giving current-gen the shaft in favor of the next-gen versions. From this thread, the next-gen version seems to perform well, and the current-gen version is something that shouldn't even exist if they're going to deliver it in such a clearly broken state.

Has anyone else had a current-gen version shipped to them yet? I don't think it's my 360 console because GTAV and other rather demanding games still work well. I find it hard to believe that they would actually ship a game in such a condition.

Chucker

Got home, started streaming SHAMELESS PLUG, did a few events, had around 15 people watching made it to Heat Level 10.

Then got wrecked. 30 minutes GONE. Oh well, I had a blast, and got the trophy.

Oh wow this game is so much fun! This is the most fun I've had with a racing game since Burnout Revenge. I'm so glad I picked this up. Definitely recommended for any PS4 owners looking for games to play.

Though having said that, I am a bit disappointing at daylight graphics. The distance looks too blurry and aliased. It looks especially bad and out of place compared to the cars and when it's raining or snowing (which look phenomenal). Kind of a nitpick though considering the rest of the game.

dantehemi

Looking for some friends to play this game with.

Psn- dantehemi
Location- canada, est

We should try to get a bunch of us playing this together... It seems like it would be great fun to have our maps populated by gaf members.. Could be some great stories in the making!

Anyone else having issues with the hud being cut off on the sides of your tv screen on the PS4 version?

I cannot really tell if I have completed some of the objectives and can only see about half of the Easy Drive Menu. I have never had this problem with any other PS4 games...

Chucker

Anyone else having issues with the hud being cut off on the sides of your tv screen on the PS4 version?

I cannot really tell if I have completed some of the objectives and can only see about half of the Easy Drive Menu. I have never had this problem with any other PS4 games...

I feel like the UI shifts with momentum. When I turn I see it shift the way you would in the drivers seat. Or I could be imagining stuff.

plc268

I don't think I quite understand the mechanics of this game. Playing as a racer, I do a few races, escape the cops, yada yada yada.

Then I get within 0.4 miles of my hideout, and instantly i'm chased by 3 cops that are on my ass the whole way. Constantly ramming me, nitrous is of no use, and I'm taking every shortcut possible, can't lose them.

Or when I do escape, It'll randomly say pursuit resumed, even though there's no cop cars in the vicinity, and then a few seconds later a cop car teleports behind me.

All that, and I have almost no speedpoints to show for it, because when I need the repair stations the most, there's none around.

I don't understand the multiplayer in this game. Playing as a Racer, it makes no sense to really drive with other people? How is there not like a "community event" that happens every 30 minutes that alerts all the current players to a race that gives out more SP and something for the cops to try and sabotage? Instead it's this giant map with 8(?) players that rarely ever interact with each other unless it's the host leaving and the game migrating hosts (teehee).

Or when I do escape, It'll randomly say pursuit resumed, even though there's no cop cars in the vicinity, and then a few seconds later a cop car teleports behind me.
I was wondering the same thing. They does it keep saying "pursuit" resume when I have legitimately fucked up the cops? What is the point of the music when you're in a pursuit 90% of the time which changes the music to the generic pursuit music.

This game is kind of a mess so far. First we have the technical problems. The frame pacing error and the stuttering it's causing is super shitty. Hard for me to enjoy myself because of it.

But the game is just throwing a lot at you very quickly, and I'm kinda bummed to see this is the second NFS in a row where the dev seemed to think people just love being constantly chased by the police.

Can I just finish a fucking time trial without having a squadron of cops after me before it's even over? Can I just enjoy the scenery and the roar of my badass car without sirens blaring?

Do you need to lose the cops before entering a safe house?

Wtf, bought the game off the psn store. D/led the file, let me play the cop and racer tutorial. Then an install progress bar came up and it took over an hour to get to 78% where it quit going up. After waiting for another hour, I closed application, restarted the game, loaded up to the install again at 75% and didn't move. Deleted everything and will try again another day.

Everdred

I would imagine there will be an influx of players coming in on PS4. Amazon is finally shipping their copies out. Hopefully other stores too.

My god I can't even count how much sp I've lost as a racer so far. Just finished a hot pursuit in first, had almost 50k and boom...busted before I can get to the hideout. Six miles of getting hit by EMP's and rammed off the road by countless cops ends up doing that.

Yeah I probably suck at the game, but it's getting irritating. I really don't want to have to grind easier events but I feel like I have to at this point. Is there something I'm missing other than, "Don't suck"?
If you're trying to get the points in the best thing to do would probably be to not play with the online portion active. The people playing as cops are just looking to run you off the roads for their own points.

If you don't want to do that I'd say that you should just always utilize your repair shops. Hitting them frequently in between events is the key to long point runs.

To anyone whos game hasn't shipped from Amazon yet, if you complain to customer service they'll actually ship it out to you. Some really shady shit going on over there. I actually cancelled my order last night then just heard this from a friend who did it.

plc268

I would imagine there will be an influx of players coming in on PS4. Amazon is finally shipping their copies out. Hopefully other stores too.

My PS4 copy arrived today. Amazon shipped mine out on saturday.

More thoughts about the game:

-Game is flat out hard. I've only played as a racer, but actually completing, and then winning events is difficult. The game likes to throw everything and the kitchen sink at you, then you get distracted and miss the final turn of the race... which leads to:

-It's hard to make out the race course. You can watch the mini map to see the route you need to go (which isn't ideal) or there's some arrows on the road which aren't always easily visible.

-After crashing, sometimes the game likes to respawn me going full speed missing the corner I just crashed (most racing game will respawn you to the point after the turn so you can continue), or it'll respawn me going in the complete opposite direction. This happens on a regular basis if you crash on a hairpin curve or miss an exit off the freeways.

-You can't pause the game. Yea, I get it, they want to integrate multiplayer and all that jazz into the game (speaking of which, the game has yet to populate my world with anyone, even after signing into origin. I might be missing something), but when I'm the only player, for fuck's sake, allow me to pause.

It appears, for some reason, that my PS4 needs me to set my Samsung to "Screen Fit" for some reason, instead of 16:9. I don't know why, but it does. My PS3 never had to have that. Weird.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It appears, for some reason, that my PS4 needs me to set my Samsung to "Screen Fit" for some reason, instead of 16:9. I don't know why, but it does. My PS3 never had to have that. Weird.

PS4 is doing you a favor, then. You're getting more resolution now, plus a large additional image quality increase from 1:1 mapping.

-Game is flat out hard. I've only played as a racer, but actually completing, and then winning events is difficult. The game likes to throw everything and the kitchen sink at you, then you get distracted and miss the final turn of the race... which leads to:

-It's hard to make out the race course. You can watch the mini map to see the route you need to go (which isn't ideal) or there's some arrows on the road which aren't always easily visible.

-After crashing, sometimes the game likes to respawn me going full speed missing the corner I just crashed (most racing game will respawn you to the point after the turn so you can continue), or it'll respawn me going in the complete opposite direction. This happens on a regular basis if you crash on a hairpin curve or miss an exit off the freeways.

-You can't pause the game. Yea, I get it, they want to integrate multiplayer and all that jazz into the game (speaking of which, the game has yet to populate my world with anyone, even after signing into origin. I might be missing something), but when I'm the only player, for fuck's sake, allow me to pause.

Every bit of this is true. Not being able to pause the game, even when I've turned off all multiplayer options is painfully dumb.

Samus4145

Amazon just shipped my copy today after complaining to a CS rep. They even overnighted it. I almost bought it at Target today too.

How is the Network app not out yet? It seems a lot of gameplay might be hidden within that? (I hope?)

Is there really no queuing system to get in a race with 3 other living people?

dantehemi

What are the odds of this game getting an update with some of the stuff mentioned on here? I really like this game a lot and love the Idea of the online gameplay, but yeah sometimes shit just gets annoying... And I would live to see the addition of online events, or even a stat tracker that shows wins and losses or rivalries vs cops and racers, maybe that would "flesh" out the online play?

PS4 is doing you a favor, then. You're getting more resolution now, plus a large additional image quality increase from 1:1 mapping.

I guess, lol. It is just weird. I have had this TV for 6 months, left it on 16:9 for PS3 and TV watching, things looked perfect. Then, my PS4 needs "Screen Fit" because it was cutting off some things I guess.

I never noticed it until Need For Speed. The HUD looked fine in Killzone, Battlefield, didn't notice any issues with NBA 2k14. But with NFS, it was cutting them off. One thing is NFS has the hud on the outer borders of your display.

I am glad I figured it out. It is not a big deal, considering my TV saves the settings for each input, so I wont have to change it or anything from now on.

EDIT: I would like to add, I noticed there was some GAFfers in my game a few hours ago. My 9 year old daughter was actually playing. She LOVES this game. She cannot drive much at all, because she has never really played in racing games. However, she started figure it out, driving in a straight line, taking easy curves. Now she needs to learn the hard turns, and drifting. But if you guys noticed my car slamming into everything and wrecking, I am blaming it on her, lol

Current gen version of this game has so many technical problems, I don't even want to compile a list.

I'll just post this (sorry about the shitty quality photo):

This is me driving along the interstate. None of it ever loaded in and then it froze my position seconds later, which required quitting the game. The game constantly freezes your car in a single position for significant periods of time, letting you watch as it loads in the world ahead of you. The game requires a mandatory hard drive installation even, but still has these streaming issues.

The biggest threat on the current-gen version of this isn't outrunning the police to bank your speedpoints, but rather trying to reach your hideout before the game glitches and forces you to quit or puts you into a cycle of constant crashing on respawn until you're wrecked.

https://vine.co/v/ht3jemwLxqP

So did I fuck up? Time to return it and get the PS4 one?

Edit: So is this the only 360 comment out right now? It's weird not to see any current gen reviews and I'm seriously worried and wonder if I should even open the game.

Chris R

There needs to be a demo for this on the PS4's store :( The video I've watched seems good, but I need to demo it to know if I want to buy it or not.

-Which races are you specifically having problems with? There are a few different types out there and you can always choose the objectives that would be easiest for you. You could always play a mission where you just run away from the cops, there's no set courses there. For the actual courses, there's a few things you can do to help you view the course easier:
  • Take quick glances at the mini map when at a straightaway
  • Keep an eye out for the green arrows on the ground
  • Look for checkpoints, they're well placed enough to give you an idea of what direction you'll be headed
  • If you aren't leading the pack, simply follow the other cars
While I'm not going to argue that there are times that it's kind of difficult to see the course, hopefully that'll make things a little easier. I've only missed turns every now and then, not every race or anything.

-Can't say I've respawned going full speed into anything. Usually I'm respawned at a complete stop. Sometimes going backwards, I usually just look at the map to see which way the green line is going before moving.

-I can agree with pausing the game if you're on single player. Only advice I can give is just tap right on the dpad twice to find the closest hideout and just pit in for a few.

While I enjoy realistic racing games on a track and everything, I think an open world arcade racer like this is great for just general mayhem and relaxation. You don't have to be super precise with everything. Just have fun and enjoy the game without taking it too seriously.

This game is Dark Souls in race cars.

I'm not the only one who doesn't think this game is very hard...right?

-Which races are you specifically having problems with? There are a few different types out there and you can always choose the objectives that would be easiest for you. You could always play a mission where you just run away from the cops, there's no set courses there. For the actual courses, there's a few things you can do to help you view the course easier:
  • Take quick glances at the mini map when at a straightaway
  • Keep an eye out for the green arrows on the ground
  • Look for checkpoints, they're well placed enough to give you an idea of what direction you'll be headed
  • If you aren't leading the pack, simply follow the other cars
While I'm not going to argue that there are times that it's kind of difficult to see the course, hopefully that'll make things a little easier. I've only missed turns every now and then, not every race or anything.

-Can't say I've respawned going full speed into anything. Usually I'm respawned at a complete stop. Sometimes going backwards, I usually just look at the map to see which way the green line is going before moving.

-I can agree with pausing the game if you're on single player. Only advice I can give is just tap right on the dpad twice to find the closest hideout and just pit in for a few.

While I enjoy realistic racing games on a track and everything, I think an open world arcade racer like this is great for just general mayhem and relaxation. You don't have to be super precise with everything. Just have fun and enjoy the game without taking it too seriously.

I'm not the only one who doesn't think this game is very hard...right?

are you playing with experienced players?

So is there a companion app for this?

If yes, is it out? I tried to find it on the Play Store and I couldn't find anything. Haven't tried it for iOS yet.

So is there a companion app for this?

If yes, is it out? I tried to find it on the Play Store and I couldn't find anything. Haven't tried it for iOS yet.
It comes out the 19th which is technically today for some people. It's not out yet but it's called Need for Speed Network I think.

Absinthe

Amazon finally shipped my copy which should be here tomorrow!

Stoked to join in the fun, this game looks really good.

If anybody is looking for more people on their friends list, add me. PSN ID in my profile.

It comes out the 19th which is technically today for some people. It's not out yet but it's called Need for Speed Network I think.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

Idk about this game.. is it a always online game? How do I just race and have fun all this press R1 to start a race with someone way in front of me is stupid

You do get to chose if you want to play offline, with friends only or public.

As for choosing the R1, wait till the racer is beside you or a little behind you and then hit R1.

However, it does not apply to any event because it puts the other racers ahead of you, automatically.

Game is fun, just don't take it too seriously. Have fun with it.

Top Bottom