• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF AUGUST Pick-Up Post! (Real pics or BAN!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kai Ozu said:
6r0pqp.jpg

It's fucking going down this weekend.

where did you get this?!?Must buy...Damn the expense....

P Blue Ribbon

Neo Member
343q2x1.jpg

Pick-ups for all of August

Amazon Kindle 2 - one of the greatest things I've ever purchased
Books:
- Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
- Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
- New Moon - Stephenie Meyer

16 GB iPhone 3Gs
J. Crew wallet
Games to add to back-log and movies

Yes Boss!

P Blue Ribbon said:

Crap,

I've been off and on for a Kindle for the last year. Just can't seem to mentally make the shift yet. Comments like yours aren't helping. Is it one of those things that once you get you cant' fathom not having it previously? Still haven't been able to see one in person.

Alucrid

Banned
Heh, I forgot my most important pickups this August.

DSCN1302.jpg

The Fall of Troy's new song is great, I hope they play more new songs at the show. Also, fuck Ticketmaster for their ridiculous convenience fees and what not, they bleed you dry.

P Blue Ribbon

Neo Member
Yes Boss! said:
Crap,

I've been off and on for a Kindle for the last year. Just can't seem to mentally make the shift yet. Comments like yours aren't helping. Is it one of those things that once you get you cant' fathom not having it previously? Still haven't been able to see one in person.

Not only is it completely tech-sexy in person, but it makes reading on the go, or just sitting at home so easy. It feels just like you're reading a real book. For example, here are a couple of things that make it worth it:

1. Built in dictionary - just put the cursor next to the word and a definition pops up at the bottom of the screen. I used to have to sit with my iPhone and look up words in the dictionary during complex reads.

2. Notes - highlighting and commenting on passages is so easy and streamlined. But the best part is it saves all your notes and highlighted passages in a separate document for quick and easy review. I've always hated digging back through books to find favorite quotes.

3. Being able to carry more than one book in just 10 oz. - I travel for work a fair amount and like to jump between books, so just in the past couple of weeks since buying the Kindle it has been so unbelievable to not have to lug around 'heavy' books...at least compared to the Kindle

4. PDF support - I hate reading documents for work on a computer screen, so now I just throw them on my Kindle; the whole process of conversion takes under two minutes

I was going back and forth as well, but decided a end of summer present to myself was in order, and I've been very pleased with the decision.

The only downside is my book shelf will cease to grow.

If you really want to use one before buying, Amazon has a network of people with Kindles that you can meet up with in your local area to test drive it. I didn't try it, but I considered it in my deliberation.

LukeT

Neo Member
Alucrid said:

DSCN1302.jpg

The Fall of Troy's new song is great, I hope they play more new songs at the show. Also, fuck Ticketmaster for their ridiculous convenience fees and what not, they bleed you dry.

Nice!

Brand New are my favourite band can't wait for Daisy. Fall of Troy are great too, seen them in Leeds in 07, they were brill.

Yes Boss! said:
Crap,

I don't have one myself but my aunt let me borrow her Kindle for a few days. Absolutely loved it. I don't think I'd give up on books but it was so much better for certain things. Just sitting at the computer waiting for something to load, I could pick up and read from the Kindle a lot faster than I could by picking up a book. I love books so I don't think I'd ever give up having the physical copy, but for certain things, it's amazing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Strangelove on Blu-ray? Since when? How's the image quality?

nny

Seiken said:
Strangelove on Blu-ray? Since when? How's the image quality?

I have no idea since when, nor if its a recent release or not; the image is quite grainy, but I guess that's how this movie is, not the transfer. I like the way it looks, nice contrasts.

Donos

nny said:
bah..I'm getting used to these HD movies, and now I think twice before buying any DVD...my poor wallet.

DSC04713.jpg

I read all Terry Pratchett books. This guy is just a genius. I try to re-read them all in english (only read the last two in english, the rest in german but really well translated by always the same guy). Also got my gf into Terry Pratchett.

nny

Donos said:
I read all Terry Pratchett books. This guy is just a genius. I try to re-read them all in english (only read the last two in english, the rest in german but really well translated by always the same guy). Also got my gf into Terry Pratchett.

He's one of my favorite writers (no matter how good the translator is, do try to read them in English; Pratchett's prose is just too good), but I am a bit behind on my Discworlds; a shame about his health..I just hope he's able to keep writing for many years...:/

Frester

Alucrid said:

DSCN1302.jpg

Nice! I'm going to the Brand New show @ Electric Factory...admittedly more for Glassjaw than BN but I like both :D Sucks theres no DC/Baltimore date for Thursday/Fall of Troy :(

edit: also probably gonna pick up some Mars Volta tickets for Baltimore when they go on sale tomorrow!

Kagami

eec77.jpg

My first and probably last HD DVD, $3 w/free shipping from Amazon.
I have a BD/HDDVD combo drive and always wanted to try at least one.
This'll be my first time seeing the movie itself.

milkham

the japanese versions of the toynami robotech masterpiece colletion alpha and beta fighters arrived today

3864121484_249fb66b42_b.jpg

I'd advise anyone thinking about picking these up to stay away. build quality and paintjob on the alpha fighter is pretty awful.

Alucrid

Banned
Frester said:
Nice! I'm going to the Brand New show @ Electric Factory...admittedly more for Glassjaw than BN but I like both :D Sucks theres no DC/Baltimore date for Thursday/Fall of Troy :(

edit: also probably gonna pick up some Mars Volta tickets for Baltimore when they go on sale tomorrow!

Nice. I'm seeing them with Thrice the night before.

DevelopmentArrested said:
you're watching a concert at a church? creepy

Yep, it's an awesome venue.

“Bands will sometimes ask us,” says McKee, “’Look, we’re called Death Vomit or Impale Jesus – is that okay?’” Thoughtfully clutching his bearded chin and adding a jolly flair to his voice, McKee impersonates a church member: “Well… Death Vomit – now that’s interesting. It’s not really my cup of tea, but that’s interesting.”
:lol

Yes Boss!

donkey show said:

That is neat. Still haven't decided to go for the game yet. I sure wish we had more tangible info about third-party release strategy for the Go/PSN. I'm hesitant to buy UMDs right now if the titles are planned future PSN releases.

Also,

Picked up the Mushi Futari theme for my 360s. These things are lame, goofy, and uninspired but I want to show support for the company.

P1020151.jpg

P1020145.jpg

JEKKI

whooo!

ka4cvk.jpg

I had to buy Layton so I'd have something to do while waiting in line.

and warn a brothas didnt take my DS away from me!! :D

Yes Boss!

JEKKI said:
whooo!

I had to buy Layton so I'd have something to do while waiting in line.

and warn a brothas didnt take my DS away from me!! :D

Was it a DSi? You should have snapped any clandestine photos!

Kai Ozu

ResidentDante said:
I got this last month, looks good next to my gaming setup and tv :)

Yeah, she is on a shelf with all my neogeo games. I'm probably going to use this Iroha figure for my tv stand since she would blend in well with all the black.

2e1ykpw.jpg

And no Aika subs. But it is the most glorious looking anime blu-ray I have seen yet. Fucking clean and the color is amazing, if you can buy it, I suggest doing so, just to support high quality anime.

scaffa

P1000295b.jpg

Bought a preowned PSP+2gb for 80 euro, not a bad deal I guess. I don't care about the Go, I dislike digital stuff. Had a PSP at launch but didn't like it then, like it a lot more now :) Also bought some games for it, got a small list of titles that I really want to play so slowly getting those. My back log is getting bigger and bigger :lol I like Patapon a lot, didn't expect that at all. Not liking Locoroco that much..

Bought AW: Dark Conflict for dirt cheap, 8 euro's. Can't go wrong with that.

Not displayed in the picture is a ticket to the Ghibli museum in Tokyo and also a flight ticket to Japan, going the 1st of October for 46 days, can't wait. It's time for a proper vacation.

Kai Ozu said:
Yeah, she is on a shelf with all my neogeo games. I'm probably going to use this Iroha figure for my tv stand since she would blend in well with all the black.

2e1ykpw.jpg

And no Aika subs. But it is the most glorious looking anime blu-ray I have seen yet. Fucking clean and the color is amazing, if you can buy it, I suggest doing so, just to support high quality anime.

How tall is that figure compared to the KOF one? Same dimensions?

21e94cn.jpg
s4nm0h.jpg
2ai1u05.jpg
23j4rpe.jpg
b3r0b4.jpg
2i9cap.jpg
2z8rnr8.jpg
2zpqrcw.jpg
15nom6x.jpg
9qz8d1.jpg
nb6xs8.jpg
11r3sdf.jpg

155gdar.jpg

Ender's Game, Inca Gold, The Joker, The Bourne Identity, Dune.
I've suddenly started to read books. Starting with those. Man I wish The Joker would've had a less gross cover.

The Running Man - Man this movie is terrible, but it's so cheesy 80's and one-linery awesome it doesn't really matter.
The Wicker Man - I saw the Youtube clip. Knew I had to get it.
Go - Caught parts on TV once and it seemed pretty great.
Dogma - Decently entertaining.
Spun - Weird.
Millions - For kids.
Zatoichi - More like Zatoshitchi. Appalling rubbish nonsense.
Batman - The goddamn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom