• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF AUGUST Pick-Up Post!(Show us your gaming/non-gaming goods!)

JEKKI said:
I also finally went to Daikokuya... been wanting to go forever!!

this place has the reputation of being one of the best if not the best ramen in southern california.

it's good... but I enjoy Santouka much better (which is also considered the best, but Daikokuya has more believers...)
Every time I visit clients in downtown LA, I head down to Daikokuya and grab some ramen. It's definitely one of my top faves up with Chabuya over in Santa Monica, but I've been wanting to go to Santouka. Where's it at?

EDIT: Oh... Costa Mesa, huh? Off of Harbor?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
JEKKI said:
yoyo! there are two Santoukas... both of them in Mitsuwa supermarket food court.

one in Costa Mesa, another in Los Angeles (close to venice beach)

and a google search tells me there's another one in Torrance as well... possibly also in Mitsuwa

google it up yo.

I read a review for the Costa Mesa restaurant (it's closer to me) and the writer absolutely shredded it, saying if it had opened in Japan, they would have been shamed into closing the place in a week. Is it really that bad?

EDIT: I have to add that he's very familiar with the food in Japan, not just a weeaboo or whatever those people are called.

LiK said:
carmine.jpg

Awesome the Carmine fiqure looks good. I know its the comic con exclusive but surely theres other places I can get it? Online perhaps? I want him!

Well, I've jumped on the bandwagon and bought...

DSC07568.jpg

Well, the reception is TERRIBLE! I'm selling it on the fleebay for WAYYY more then I paid for it and buying another phone...

Canti

August am go! :)

16i5udi.png

-Uncharted and Ratchet Platinum (printed out new covers to replace the hideous yellow/silver combo)
-Soul Calibur IV
-Lost season 3 (sogood.gif)

LiK

XenonOxide said:
Awesome the Carmine fiqure looks good. I know its the comic con exclusive but surely theres other places I can get it? Online perhaps? I want him!

yea, looks great. most sites i know of are sold out since they were mainly available as a preorder before the con started. you can probably find them on ebay tho.

nny

Canti said:
-Uncharted and Ratchet Platinum (printed out new covers to replace the hideous yellow/silver combo)

oh..the boxes on platinum titles aren't transparent. I never liked that kind of gray boxes (on PSP or PS2) very much.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
S6302559copy.gif

~ Physical copy of Siren because I didn't want to take up half my space with one download.
~ Drive-In Cult Classics DVD set; glad I didn't pick these up when they were $15 per double feature. Got all 8 for $5 off Amazon.
~ Casablanca, Forbidden Planet and The Cowboys HD-DVDs from Frys website.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Here are my pickups June through today. I had a bit of extra spending cash to blow through. I picked up all of the XBox original stuff for a total of about $200 plus my copy of burnout paradise PS3 which I traded on Goozex for 1000 points. There are even some games not pictured that are kind of crap that I just threw down in the basement. I got one hell of a good deal on all of it.

100_8664-1.jpg

100_8870.jpg

100_8872.jpg

I also picked up a Falcon 360 Pro this month for $260 shipped.

100_8860.jpg

100_8865.jpg

Civ 1 through 4, which I got for $12 new:

100_8876.jpg

And of course MGS4, Eden, and some PS2 games from Goozex/sales:

100_8854.jpg

Alright, I'm broke now. I won't be having any hauls like this for quite some time. I really have been trying since about this time last year to get good collections from last gen because I skipped out on most of it. So that's why I've got all the PS2/Xbox games coming in. And not pictured, I picked up Space Invaders Extreme PSP. I have a really hard time passing up on good deals for good games. I rarely pay full price or even near full price for my games, so I stretch my dollar nice and long.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Canti said:
August am go! :)

Can i get a link to the print outs? Could only find the NA cover online.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
bumpkin said:
My only question is where did you get it? :D I've seen them on eBay but I'm always weary that I'm not looking at an auction for one of the authentic, quality swords.

Import from someone. I wouldn't trust the ones on Ebay since there seems to be tons of duplicate pics and various reasons. Unless they can show you the exact image of what you're getting instead of reusing a stolen one then I wouldn't bother.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
hey, what's this? did anybody ever play this or know what it is?

DSC00096.jpg

JEKKI

SnowWolf said:
I read a review for the Costa Mesa restaurant (it's closer to me) and the writer absolutely shredded it, saying if it had opened in Japan, they would have been shamed into closing the place in a week. Is it really that bad?

EDIT: I have to add that he's very familiar with the food in Japan, not just a weeaboo or whatever those people are called.
lol, what review is that??

Daikokuya serves tonkotsu ramen. Santouka serves your choice of shio, shoyu, or miso ramen so right there is already a difference between the two.

The only place I've tried tonkotsu style is Shin Sen Gumi in Fountain Valley, and I dont like that place at all... but I did really enjoy daikokuya. Me liking Santouka better is just a preference of soup.

I would love to see that review tho, the review of LA's Santouka on rameniac is the exact opposite of what u described giving it nothing but praise... even rates it much higher than Daikokuya

http://www.rameniac.com/resource/comments/santouka_west_la/

drakesfortune

Cosmic Bus said:
S6302559copy.gif

~ Physical copy of Siren because I didn't want to take up half my space with one download.

Does that copy of Siren run on NA PS3's? Does it have English subtitles and English menus, or would I be lost if I don't speak or read a word of Japanese. I really want that damn game, but I HATE big, expensive downloadable games. I HATE them. I will always want a physical copy of a game for anything over $15. I like to be able to resell my games if I don't like them so I can buy something I do like. I will never pay $40 for a full downloadable game. Also, where did you get it, and how much was it?

drakesfortune said:
Does that copy of Siren run on NA PS3's? Does it have English subtitles and English menus, or would I be lost if I don't speak or read a word of Japanese. I really want that damn game, but I HATE big, expensive downloadable games. I HATE them. I will always want a physical copy of a game for anything over $15. I like to be able to resell my games if I don't like them so I can buy something I do like. I will never pay $40 for a full downloadable game. Also, where did you get it, and how much was it?

The game features both English subtitles and dubbing. Pop it in a PS3 set to English and you'll never know it's an import title.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/jedipete33/ST.jpg[IMG]

[B]I'm doing my part![/B][/QUOTE]

Well done soldier. Well done. I don't care what anyone else says (big SST fan). I'm buying it as soon as I get back to my PS3.

JEKKI said:
dood I saw the craziest thing at the store today!!

this whole time I've been thinking like dang I'm so old... I've seen everything...

I was wrong!!!

b7fjn5.jpg

what is that?!?!?! mochi remix?!?!?! I had to pick it up!!

it was aiite btw... nothing special... as a candy I'd rather eat something else lol

I also finally went to Daikokuya... been wanting to go forever!!

kdpldh.jpg

2zf7p1d.jpg

this place has the reputation of being one of the best if not the best ramen in southern california.

it's good... but I enjoy Santouka much better (which is also considered the best, but Daikokuya has more believers...)

Cool stuff man. Do you live in Japan?

Not only is ST one of the few movies I've ever double-dipped on in the hundreds I own (Batman Begins is the other); this will in fact be the 5th version of this title I've purchased.

miiijs.jpg

drakesfortune

Valkyr Junkie said:
The game features both English subtitles and dubbing. Pop it in a PS3 set to English and you'll never know it's an import title.

That is so unbelievably awesome! Thanks

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
drakesfortune said:

Don't worry. Sony will release a brd version this fall containing all episodes and extra content for $39.99.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:
Don't worry. Sony will release a brd version this fall containing all episodes and extra content for $39.99.

and that is what I'm waiting for...

I ALMOST imported lol.

sca2511

drakesfortune said:
go to play-asia.com and search up siren, its the chinese one that has the english language and what not.

XenonOxide said:

you can try bigbadtoystore.com. Its $10 more than the retail Comic con price of $20. Not including shipping tho, so up to you how bad you may want him. It is cheaper than ebay currently.

Ecto311

FirstInHell said:
Cool stuff man. Do you live in Japan?

yeah he must because he says "this place has the reputation of being one of the best if not the best ramen in southern california."

I think southern california is a town near Tokyo?

distantmantra said:
Sukiyaki Western Django. Japanese Spaghetti Western acted in English. It's... ummm... interesting...

Thats probably the best way to describe it - after Quentin Tarantino's bizarre intro, you know you're in for somthing totally weird. I appreciated all the nods to various Westerns, and I appreciate Miike's abillity to get something clearly so self-indulgent out into cinemas - however, I think Sukiyaki Western Django totally fits into the common Miike catagory of more style than substance. While visually arresting, the reasons to watch Sukiyaki beyond the weirdness of Japanese actors mispronouncing English and the referrences to other Westerns, are slim to none in my opinion - still, it's at least more coherant than Izo :lol

ZeMMiK

jjasper said:
2qs5gkw.jpg

I probably won't be buying any games for a little while now

I thoughed in USA they only sell Hybrid cars now....:D and people
take the bus more often, or is this not a big oil consumer??

nny

Warnen said:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e16b15dedc.jpg[img]

So far this week[/QUOTE]

Oh, a new Yotsuba figure, must get! Thanks for letting me know that existed.

Flunkie

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Just got these in the mail:
http://i33.tinypic.com/14e1lk2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Very nice. I really like the red boxes, but they could be a bit darker. I think a deeper red would make it look way better.

And holy crap @ those silver boxes with re-printed inserts. That looks great, actually.

IMG_0562.jpg

Soulcalibur IV (PS3) and Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3)

IMG_0564.jpg

Real Arcade Pro 3 arcade stick

IMG_0565.jpg

Panasonic 42" PX80A plasma...

IMG_0563.jpg

...just in time for the Olympics!

IMG_0567.jpg

:D

It isn't full HD, but for the price (AU$1400 with 5 years warranty) it's great value and the picture quality is awesome. I only just wish I had the extra cash and I would've purchased the 50".

Outcast2004 said:
You WILLINGLY bought Two Worlds.... yikes.

TERRIBLE GAME IS TERRIBLE.

Two Worlds gets too much hate imo, yeah it was a buggy piece of shit, but to me it felt just like a 3d version of the Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance games with a bit of free-roaming thrown in, combat really wasn't too bad, plus there were some good quests in between the standard RPG quest-types and the gameworld was varied and interesting, at least more so than Oblivion imo. To call it terrible is a bit of a stretch, it's decidedly average for sure, but it has some redeeming qualities and certainly provided me with a good 20 hours of entertaining gameplay :p

Top Bottom