• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FEBRUARY 2010 Pick-Up Post! (Real pics or BAN!)

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
Wormdundee said:
The greatest purchase I will make this year.

All of Calvin and Hobbes in 3 massive volumes. I'm pretty sure you could kill someone with this by dropping the full box on their head.

I have never been jealous of a post in the pick-up threads... until now.

Wormdundee said:
The greatest purchase I will make this year.

4350281710_948e9af07b_b.jpg

All of Calvin and Hobbes in 3 massive volumes. I'm pretty sure you could kill someone with this by dropping the full box on their head.

My god you have no idea how much I want this. Someday I will buy it and it will be well used by me and my future children b/c no kid should grow up without Calvin and Hobbes. I would read this every day in the paper until it ended and the News Journal replaced it with Dilbert, further shattering my perception of corporate America.

rj118

All the console games obviously used from Gamestop, but I got PDZ from Goozex today. Halo 2 I got from Best Buy, beat it last night. Also breakfast for a month :lol

yesh.jpg

rj118

Oh yeah, pop tarts aren't a food I like to look at when I am eating them, but I love the brown sugar cinnamon ones too much LOL

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Reentering the world of console gaming with a PS3 Slim ($250):
2il0dwy.png

I know Bayonetta on PS3 is the inferior version, so sue me.

Both games are ludicrously addictive.

LiK

Hawkian said:
Reentering the world of console gaming with a PS3 Slim ($250):
http://i49.tinypic.com/2il0dwy.png

I know Bayonetta on PS3 is the inferior version, so sue me.

Both games are ludicrously addictive.[/QUOTE]

hey, you got the Bayo patch right? the optional install fixed the loading issues, but all the other issues remain. at least it's playable now :)

Bii

Devin Olsen said:
So you've basically inspired me to pursue purchasing a Salt Water tank.

I am curious if you would be comfortable sharing how much it costs you. What is the start up cost and the average maintenance costs?

I love your tank and am extremely jealous, but I worry that it would be quite a money pit. Though it would look extremely classy if done right, which you have clearly done.

As others have stated, it can get expensive. It's not an "easy" hobby to get into as it requires patience and extensive knowledge right from the beginning. It took me a year or so before I decided to splurge on a saltwater aquarium. In that year, I read books, forums, and talked to a lot of people before deciding to jump in.

And when I did, the start-up costs was way more than I expected. Depending on what size tank you want and what specimens you want in your aquarium, everyone's start-up costs will vary. I bought a 24-gallon tank ($243), an aquarium stand as I didn't have anything to put it on ($140), a powerhead ($32), thermometer ($7), 75w submersible heater ($26), refractometer ($45), saltwater test kit ($22), surge protector with a timer ($24), a GFCI outlet ($20), vinyl tubing ($6) and various filtration products ($20). Shortly thereafter, I bought a second thermometer, a cooler/more powerful pump to replace the stock one ($26), magnetic algae scraper ($12), live rock ($113 for 24 lbs) and live sand ($20 for 20lbs). I've already spent over $750 and this is all before even putting a single fish in. To top it off, I bought a different lighting fixture ($242) that is strong enough to keep just about any coral I want in my aquarium. In addition to that, I bought another powerhead to increase water movement ($30), a calcium test kit ($8), net ($2), fish food ($16) and various additives to promote the growth of my corals and coraline algae ($21). The numbers just keep adding up. :lol

After all that, I was able to finally start adding livestock to my tank (of course, after the tank has "cycled"). I know others that have spent way more than I have before they added their first fish; so it really varies from person to person and what you want in your tank. I've had my aquarium for a little over seven months and I've spent over $1,600 on it already (not including the increase in my electricity bill and the purchasing of RO/DI water). You can probably set a small tank up (less than 14 gallons) for as little as $200 if you shop around. If you're serious into setting one up, I can give you some pointers and what I've learned. I'm actually thinking of setting up a 3-gallon tank later in the year once I'm content with my 24g.

Sometimes I wish I had inexpensive hobbies.

***Edit: Forgot to mention the maintenance costs. I don't have a unit that produces RO/DI water so I just buy the water from the machine in front of a local grocery store. I spend $1 (20 cents/gallon) every two weeks. Three of those gallons are used for doing a water change and the other two are used for topping off the water that's been evaporated. I don't have a refugium either and all I use for mechanical filtration is Purigen and Chemi-Pure Elite ($25 or so for both). I scrape the algae that builds up on the glass with a submersible magnetic scraper ($7) and I buy salt mix up to 50 gallons for $10 (would need to buy one of these every six months). I haven't replaced the lights to my lighting fixture yet but I'll be doing that a year from now. It's about $10-13 per bulb (I have six bulbs in the fixture). The maintenance costs isn't what's going to kill you, it's the start-up.

For the Calvin and Hobbes set...I really want it but am worried about the binding. They say you should pay someone to rebind it (get it sewn).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
LiK said:
hey, you got the Bayo patch right? the optional install fixed the loading issues, but all the other issues remain. at least it's playable now :)

Wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't heard about the patch first. A lot of what reviewers described as the biggest problem it had is totally gone now.

filipe

GTA, Shattered Horizon, Killing Floor/Defence Alliance 2, Garry's Mod, Audiosurf and (not pictured) Street Fighter 4 were pick ups from the Steam sale for Christmas. Prepurchased BC2, great game but haven't played a lot yet. MW2 I had on 360, double dipped into the PC version to play with friends, and ended up trading in MW2 for 360. Once you go PC FPS, you can't go back.
JVETX.png

L4D2 I got a little while ago, but included it anyway. GoW, I've never played but I enjoy games like it, so I decided to get the collection and catch up before 3 comes out. BioShock 2, loving it, but kinda thinking it was more of a rent. I bought it for the multiplayer, but I just rather play BC2 or MW2 instead of BS2 multiplayer. Whatever, I traded games in for it and got 25% credit, so I can't complain.
i0R77.jpg

I still have 65 bucks on my EB Games gift card, Gaf, what do I buy?

Keurig B60 with a reusable filter, Chai Latte K-Cups and it came with a assorted pack.
DSC_0164_400x596.shkl.png

Girlfriend and I go to Disney World so much we decided to get season passes this year. Next trip is Valentines Day. Can't wait!
DSC_0173_596x400.shkl.png

Solune

2ahwj1y.jpg

29g0s8x.jpg

And my favorite pickup

15oz29y.jpg

n1drfr.jpg

2s7cqdx.jpg

Why is February so expensive... with Ace Attorney still coming out...
And March on the verge of breaking banks.

JEKKI

today I stopped by the optometrist and they were like "sorry we do not sell glasses cases"

wtf is up with that?!?!

it reminds me of the time I went to So & So's Fruits & Nuts only to discover they did not actually sell fruit.

jus sum dried pineapple and papaya type shyt.

o_O

BolognaSoup said:
For the Calvin and Hobbes set...I really want it but am worried about the binding. They say you should pay someone to rebind it (get it sewn).

Yeah I read that in some of the amazon reviews so I was a bit worried about that. I've read about halfway through the first volume and it seems pretty solid so far but I'm being a bit more careful with it than I might normally be.

Also, it came in the worst packaging I've ever seen. They literally just threw the boxset into a cardboard box and sent it off. No bubble packaging, or even packing paper so it must've been banging around inside that box pretty hard (shipping box was a fair amount bigger than the boxset) as the box was almost falling apart when it got here. Maybe that's just how Amazon Export Sales rolls :lol

There was actually a little buckling in the slipcase in one of the corners, presumably due to the slipshod packaging. It's not very noticeable though. Overall I'm really happy with it and it doesn't feel like there will be a problem with the bindings any time soon.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
WRRRRRRYYYY! That's pretty damn awesome man.
That Mushihimesama stick is beautiful, I think I'll pick one up when Espgaluda II ships.

Helmholtz said:
Those poptarts look really gross :lol
It's probably just me though, I'm sure they're delicious.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Those pop-tarts are gross. Brown-sugar pop tarts doesn't taste very good to be honest.
are you eatting them cold cuz if so I agree but warm they are the food of the gods.

rj118 said:
All the console games obviously used from Gamestop, but I got PDZ from Goozex today. Halo 2 I got from Best Buy, beat it last night. Also breakfast for a month :lol

(image)

Nice, reminds me to pick up the GFW PC version of Halo 2 since the Xbox 1 version will halt support in April.

eXistor

Aliens vs Predator and ME2 posters. Also Star Trek and Terminator SCC season 2 on bluray, the rest is just used as paperweights for the posters.

DSC00519.jpg

eXistor said:
Aliens vs Predator and ME2 posters. Also Star Trek and Terminator SCC season 2 on bluray, the rest is just used as paperweights for the posters.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af99/eXistor_2009/DSC00519.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Awesome pick-ups, that AvP poster is pretty rad, does the marine look horrid or did you not mean to cover him up like that? :lol

<3 Sarah Connor Chronicles too.

eXistor

randomlyrossy said:
Awesome pick-ups, that AvP poster is pretty rad, does the marine look horrid or did you not mean to cover him up like that? :lol

<3 Sarah Connor Chronicles too.
You noticed eh :lol

Yeah he looks pretty stupid:
DSC00520.jpg

Top Bottom