• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

Quazar

Yo ploid what LS is that youre in? Lunarians? Bismarck server atleast? Prophez on FL. Im on Hades name Quazar. Did that server migration awhile ago. Just came back after a year or so was wondering if prophez/zenelly still play...But damn economy sucks, everything takes a year to sell + all low prices.

EDIT: Nvm guess you were just posting info from bg. Any lunarians on here though? :p I see prophez is still playing.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Well...I'm patching right now. ><;
Not sure what I'm going to do as far as server/character. But I was figuring it may as well be Fairy.

Ploid 3.0

Quazar said:
Yo ploid what LS is that youre in? Lunarians? Bismarck server atleast? Prophez on FL. Im on Hades name Quazar. Did that server migration awhile ago. Just came back after a year or so was wondering if prophez/zenelly still play...But damn economy sucks, everything takes a year to sell + all low prices.

EDIT: Nvm guess you were just posting info from bg. Any lunarians on here though? :p I see prophez is still playing.

Yeah heh. Just noticed this post no one hardly ever post in this thread, and I took a break from FFXI. StarsOfDestiny Fairy GAF linkshell representin! Eden HNMLS crap HNMs and the way they suck time out of your day and enslave you.

Oh snap Revenan you should get a SOD pearl. Not sure if Shouta is on much anymore, but uh dang wish I knew who you could send a tell to for a pearl, help, and chat. A lot of people probably took a break, but new content is coming out soon.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I noticed someone had FFXI windowed....how can that be done? I guess it's some sort of mod?
Oh yeah, I'm on Fairy and the character is Nornstalia.

Quazar

RevenantKioku said:
I noticed someone had FFXI windowed....how can that be done? I guess it's some sort of mod?
Oh yeah, I'm on Fairy and the character is Nornstalia.

With windower for XI. I'm sure you'll find it. :)

RevenantKioku

Well, that's thouroughly worrisome!
****. I hope I didn't screw myself over just now. :S

I'm on Kujata now, though.

mackaveli

i want to play ffxi again but i'm not sure if i'll like it, and would like to play the trial for 30 days. But i need a buddy pass so i was wondering if anyone has a spare buddy pass that is unused if they can send it to me?

pm would be great.

Thanks

Kweh

So do Square delete characters after inactivity, 3 months wasn't it? I haven't played for years, but wonder if my little guy is still alive, and if it was something Square just 'say'.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
bah, I finally get settled in for a 2 month stay in an apartment and all...then my laptop with FFXI on it goes to laptop heaven!

BAH!

So I played FFXI for a bit, I enjoyed it a lot. Im thinking of playing again for the summer. I usually will be on late night and not in the day but people were always on at crazy times. Also what server do most gaffers play on and who is willing to give me a World Pass if I decide to buy again?

jiggle

You can choose to be on any server without world pass now.

I'm on Bismarck. But seems like most gaffers are on Fairy?

Damn they finally changed that? I always hated that. Well I decided I'll pick up the Vanadiel collection for $20 since it has a month subscription and i'll play off my 360 with my old disc

Ploid 3.0

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/update/ff11us/20070606yrR1s2/detail.html

[What is Einherjar?]
Einherjar is an ever-changing multiplayer battlefield based in the Hazhalm Training Grounds.

What are the Hazhalm Training Grounds?
The training grounds are divided into three separate wings, with each wing consisting of three large chambers. Each chamber houses a horde of enemies and a boss-type character known as a Guardian of Asgarth. All the monsters in a chamber must be defeated within a certain time limit to clear the area. Once the three chambers in wing I have been cleared, the path to wing II will open. Only after all three wings have been cleared will players be given the opportunity to enter Valgrind and learn the secret the forbidden chamber holds.

Wing I
Rossweisse's Chamber Grimgerde's Chamber Siegrune's Chamber
Wing II
Helmwige's Chamber Schwertleite's Chamber Waltraute's Chamber
Wing III
Ortlinde's Chamber Gerhilde's Chamber Brunhilde's Chamber
Valgrind
???'s Chamber

E02.jpg

What can I win?
After defeating all the enemies in a chamber, an armoury crate will appear in the middle of the room. Here is a sample of some of the treasures that can be discovered in the chests:

1. Key Items
Upon clearing a chamber, all players will receive a key item that signifies they assited in the clearing of the area. There is one for each room, and all nine will be required for entry into the final chamber, Valgrind.

*The key items will vanish at the moment of entry into Valgrind.
*Players who clear the 10th chamber will be awarded a pass that allows them entry to any of the other nine chambers without having to clear each wing in succession.

E03en.jpg

2. Therion Ichor
Players will also receive ampoules of therion ichor depending on the number and type of enemies that appeared in the chamber. These can be used to purchase various valuable items from Kilusha in Nashmau.

*All players will receive the same amount of ichor, regardless of their battle record.

E04.jpg

3. Abjurations
Several types of new and old abjurations can be obtained from the crates. All cursed items and abjurations should be taken to Alphollon C Meriard for "spiritual cleansing."

[Can I participate?]
Only the following can participate in Einherjar:

1. Players who have installed the Aht Urghan Expansion disc and registered its contents.

2. Players who are level 60 or higher.

3. Parties/Alliances with 6-36 members.

*Players need not have completed any Aht Urghan missions or mercenary promotion quests to participate.

[How do I get in?]
Players are required to take the following steps to enter the Hazhalm Training Grounds:

1. Obtain a smouldering lamp
Smouldering lamps can be purchased from Kilusha in Nashmau for the low, low price of 180,000 gil. Divided by 36, that is a mere 5,000 gil a piece.

2. Make a reservation
Trading a smouldering lamp to the Entry Gate in the Hazhalm Training Grounds will transform it into a glowing lamp. At this moment, the player who made the trade will be allowed to select a chamber and reserve it.

- Reservations
*Reservations last 30 minutes from the moment they are made
*If less than six people occupy the area 10 minutes after the reservation is made, the reservation will be automatically cancelled, regardless of the time remaining on the lamp. At this point, the glowing lamp will become void and players will not be allowed re-entry with it.
*A reservation's time limit can be viewed in the glowing lamp's help window.
*If another party already occupies the selected chamber, the smouldering lamp will not light, and players can either select another chamber or wait for the one they chose to open.

3. Making copies of the glowing lamp
By using the glowing lamp, players can create replicas. These replicas can be traded to other players, allowing them entry into the chamber indicated on the lamp. Up to 36 players can enter the same chamber at once.

*While, in theory, an infinite number of glowing lamps can be produced, entry into the reserved chamber is limited to the first 36 players to trade their lamp to the gate. Once 36 people have entered the chamber, all remaining lamps will become void.
*Glowing lamps can be sold on bazaars as well as traded.

4. Enter the chamber
To enter the reserved chamber, players need only trade their glowing lamp to the Entry Gate and select "yes" from the query window.

[What happens if I leave the area?]
Unlike Dynamis, if players leave the area via magic or by returning to their Home Points, they will not be allowed re-entry into the chamber, regardless of time remaining on the reservation. After entering a chamber, players will be required to wait at least 3 Earth days before they can enter the training grounds again.

*Players can check the amount of time remaining before they may re-enter Hazhalm by checking the Entry Gate or by speaking with Kilshua in Nashmau.
*If all players in a chamber remain KO'd for more than 3 minutes, everyone will be teleported out of the area.
*The three-day wait applies to all chambers in the training grounds.

[What do I do inside?]
As with Dynamis, players do not need to be in the same party and/or alliance to participate in any of the battles fought within the chambers. In addition, all players will be allowed to lot on any items found. The name of the player with the current highest lot number will be displayed next to the item in the treasure window.

*Make sure everyone lots on items before chamber reservations run out to prevent items from being lost or going to an unintended player.

*Players who have left the chamber will not be allowed to lot on items.

*Upon clearing a chamber, an amoury crate will appear in the center of the area. The moment the crate is opened, players in the chamber will have five minutes to lot on all items, regardless of the amount of time remaining on the chamber reservation.

[Is there anything else I need to do?]
Chat & battle effect filters
Because large numbers of monsters and players will be occupying the same small rooms, we highly recommend that everyone adjust their chat and battle effect filters accordingly. Turning on these filters not only makes message windows easier to see, but it also reduces the amount of data that needs to be sent from the server to your computer or console. This usually results in a smoother playing experience.

Windows settings
In addition to chat and battle effect filters, the Windows version of FINAL FANTASY XI also comes with a variety of other adjustable settings that may help improve performance. Please make any necessary adjustments before entering Hazhalm.

The June version update will introduce wings I and II only. The release of wing III, as well as Valgrind, is planned for the near future.

-----------------
Some dat mine info:
Some dat mines.

Replicator
When HP is low, converts all
wind maneuvers into shadow images.

Hammermill
Increases the damage of Shield Bash.
May also induce "Slow" effect.

Shadow Brstplate
DEF:55 STR+10 DEX-3 VIT+10
AGI-3 INT-3 MND-3 CHR-3
Accuracy+5 Attack+25
Adds "Regen" effect
Lv.75 WAR/PLD/DRK

Valk. Breastplate (Sell your barone bodys?)
DEF:56 STR+11 DEX-4 VIT+11
AGI-4 INT-4 MND-4 CHR-4
Accuracy+6 Attack+26
Adds "Regen" effect
Lv.75 WAR/PLD/DRK

Shadow Coat
DEF:38 Magic Accuracy+10 Enmity-4
Physical damage taken +6%
Magic damage taken -3%
Lv.75 WHM/BLM/RDM/BRD/SMN

Valkyrie's Coat
DEF:39 Magic Accuracy+11 Enmity-5
Physical damage taken +7%
Magic damage taken -4%

Valhalla Brstplate
DEF:60 HP+50
Damage taken -5% Enmity+4
"Slow"+5%
Lv.75 WAR/PLD/DRK

Shadow Gauntlets
DEF:23 HP+18 MP+18 CHR+4
Accuracy+3 Attack+5
Lv.75 WAR/PLD/DRK

Valk. Gauntlets
DEF:24 HP+20 MP+20 CHR+5
Accuracy+4 Attack+6
Lv.75 WAR/PLD/DRK

Shadow Cuffs
DEF:14 INT+5
Magic Accuracy+3 Enmity-1
Physical damage taken +2%

Valkyrie's Cuffs
DEF:15 INT+6
Magic Accuracy+4 Enmity-2
Physical damage taken +3%

Eta Earring
VIT+3
Salvage: Enhances "Jump" effects
Lv.75 All Jobs

Epsilon Earring
CHR+3
Salvage:
Enhances "Aquan Killer" effect
Enhances "Plantoid Killer" effect
Lv.75 All Jobs

Beta Earring
Ranged Accuracy+2
Salvage: Haste+1%
Lv.75 All Jobs

Gamma Earring
MP+15
Salvage: Avatar perpetuation cost -1
Lv.75 All Jobs

Delta Earring
DEX+2 CHR+2 Enmity-3
Lv.75 All Jobs

Shadow Helm
DEF:35 HP+15 MP+15 DEX+4
Accuracy+2 Attack+9
Lv.75 WAR/PLD/DRK

Valkyrie's Helm
DEF:36 HP+17 MP+17 DEX+5
Accuracy+3 Attack+10
Lv.75 WAR/PLD/DRK

Shadow Hat
DEF:18 MP+35
Magic Accuracy+5 Enmity-3
Physical damage taken +3%

Valkyrie's Hat
DEF:19 MP+40
Magic Accuracy+6 Enmity-4
Physical damage taken +4%

Valhalla Helm
DEF:40 HP+30 VIT+4
Damage taken -5%
"Slow"+5%
Lv.75 WAR/PLD/DRK

Aslan Cape
DEF:7 HP-20 MP+20 MND+5 CHR-5
Lv.70 WHM/BLM/RDM/BRD/SMN/BLU/
PUP

Gleeman's Cape
DEF:7 HP+20 MP-20 VIT-5 INT+5
Lv.70 WHM/BLM/RDM/BRD/SMN/BLU/
PUP

Ritter Gorget
DEF:8 HP+25 Evasion+5 Enmity+3
Lv.70 WAR/RDM/THF/PLD/DRK/BST/
BRD/RNG/SAM/NIN/DRG/BLU/COR

Kubira Beads
DEF:5 STR+4 DEX+4
Damage taken +5%
Lv.70 WAR/RDM/THF/PLD/DRK/BST/
BRD/RNG/SAM/NIN/DRG/BLU/COR

Morgana's Choker
STR-2 DEX-2 MND+5
Converts 40 HP to MP
Lv.70 All Jobs
Chanoix's Gorget
Lv.70 All Jobs

Perdu Sword
DMG:80 Delay:456
Latent effect: DMG:84
Lv.73 WAR/PLD/DRK

Hofud
DMG:42 Delay:236
HP+3% MND+5 CHR+5
Additional effect: HP or MP Drain
Lv.75 WAR/DRK/BLU

Animator +1
An improved version of the animator.
Allows orders to be more directly
relayed to the automaton.
Lv.71 PUP

Valkyrie's Fork
DMG:95 Delay:492
"Double Attack"+3%
"Store TP"+3
Lv.75 DRG

Perdu Blade
DMG:27 Delay:190
Latent effect: DMG:32
Lv.73 NIN

Perdu Voulge
DMG:91 Delay:504
Latent effect: DMG:96
Lv.73 WAR/DRK

Perdu Staff
DMG:60 Delay:399
Latent effect: DMG:66
Lv.73 MNK/WHM/PLD/DRG

Perdu Crossbow
DMG:35 Delay:288
Latent effect: DMG:39
Lv.73 WAR/THF/DRK/RNG

Ploid 3.0

SOD Can make it happen. Believe. Could at least try, but I won't be back until July to help out. They said 6-36 but I guess dynamis is also 6-36. Gah abj is always held back out of casuals reach even though they were introduced years ago. Hate camping crap all over the time of day.

jiggle

I wonder what they changed in Bhaflau Thickets.
I was digging there earlier, and the items i got were almost the exact same ones as pre-update

Darksteel Ore
Orichalcum Ore
Gold Ore
Oak Log
Mahogoney Log
Rosewood Log
Petrified Log
Spiderweb
Blue Rocks
and some other useless junks.

Only things missing were Ebony Log, Elm Log, Lacquer Log, Aluminum Ore and Adaman Ore. Nothing out of the ordinary though, since it's not always the exact same items.

I hope the update added soemthing super rare instead of taking out some stuffs -.-;

jiggle

On second thought, hopefully they didnt' add anything super rare...
Lately, it's already taking me 3-4 charges just to get my 100 items, even @10 :/
Gonna get even worse if there's something even better gets inserted there...
Was hoping thickets would remain mostly a secret while everyone fights over W.Altepa. :lol

The 2 Valhalla gears look awesome

val1.png

val2.png

hgplayer1

Jiggles said:
So who's still playing and what server? I just started back up on midgardsormr, been 3 years since I last played.. oi...

Im on Midgardsormr. Playing on the 360 version. let me know if you need any help.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Question, would PS2's version of FFXI and expansions work on PS3's BC? Like installing everything on HDD etc?

I doubt it but its worth a shot i guess.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Buggy Loop said:
Question, would PS2's version of FFXI and expansions work on PS3's BC? Like installing everything on HDD etc?

That should work, yeah. I believe that's how Jae's sister has been playing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Rorschach said:
Hey, I'm a noob looking to get into this game. What's the best town/race to start with? And what server has the most phat loot?

Try Elvaan Red Mage. I heard it's the best.

bengraven

Wow, I really wanted to like this game, but I bought the 360 version (my PC is crap) and the controls are so hard to deal with. And to make matters worse, even on 720p it looks worse than my PS2 running at 480p.

I have really high hopes for their next MMO.

jiggle

Rorschach said:
Hey, I'm a noob looking to get into this game. What's the best town/race to start with? And what server has the most phat loot?

Tarutaru if you're leaning towards being a mage. Hume or Mithra if you're undecided. Or just pick whichever you think looks the best :lol.

As for town, i think either Bastok or San D'Oria is the best choice, mainly because the trek to Valkrum Dunes (when you hit level10) is much faster. If you choose Tarutaru or Mithra, starting in Windurst gives you a bonus ring though...

Ploid 3.0

Buggy Loop said:

It works, takes up 11gigs though. I play on ps3 sometimes. Do not connect it to a HDTV though. It looks so ugly (like the screen shots you take on ps2). SD tv makes it look better.

HD =
1026831Sumari.jpg
but on a huge screen. (I.E. Very ugly)

Kintaro said:
Try Elvaan Red Mage. I heard it's the best.

Elvaan rangers do good too. /wave Rorschach

Scott

Don't know if anybody saw these yet, but I spotted these (small) boxarts on GameStop.com:

281830b.jpg
281831b.jpg
200386b.jpg
200387b.jpg

Don't see any for the PC version(s), yet.

Quadratic

Any Gafers play on Shiva?

I'm a career BST and recently got BRD to 75.

The game is starting to tire out for me. I played back in 2004 quit after 14 months and rejoined in Nov last year. Yeah, its crack. I'm thinking of hanging the gear up once again and hold out for the next MMO SE is working on.

Well, I'm still paying for the game. If anyone responds, maybe it'll make Vana diel more exciting.

I'm not an endgamer, even though my LS is starting up Sky again. It's probably why I'm getting bored.

Shouta

Reneledarker said:
Question, 2 years ago I used to play as a drk, whats a good and easy to get gear for a drk.

Also how's the economy in hades?

Gear depends on level. You can check the price of the AH on Hades by going to FFXIAH.com

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
New Challenger Approaching: The Scholar

photo.jpg

photo_14.jpg

And, to dispel all those hopeful wishes that Dancer was a Female toon only job.

photo_13.jpg

YOU SAW IT, YOU CAN'T UN-SEE IT

Well... I caved in for the Wings of the Goddess. It's been two whole years since my last login, and I'm patching now. Anyone care to summarize what was added to the game just before Chains of Promethia hit? :lol j/k

But seriously though, anyone mind helping me ease back into the game? I'm a 64 RDM on Fairy. On a side note, it's likely my g/f (64 BRD) will rejoin me once she hears the news, so if any casual Linkshells or static parties are looking for friendly folks, just let me know. =O

Bought the Vana'Diel collection yesterday and was planning on playing it throughout vacation on my PS3 but alas the collection is not compatible with the 60, 20 and 80 gb versions. According to SE it's a problem for Sony to address via a firmware update and who knows when that will happen. So if you plan on purchasing the Vana'Diel 08 collection be forewarned.

tawal

Help me out, buds. After having not played the game in a year, I reactivated and started on a new server (Hades). The problem is that I know -no one- on Hades, other than the person who started with me, and I'm approaching 18 quickly. I have no idea how I'm going to get the Magicked Skull (I also still need the Damselfly Worm, but I'm pretty sure I'd have no trouble getting that) and so I'm reaching out to the Hades GAFfers, hoping there's someone who can beat the snot out of Gusgen Ghouls for me, or something.

I realize it's a long shot, but I'd appreciate it tons.

Character name is Maduel.

EDIT: thanks to the people who messaged me in response to this thread, but I've since found the items. :)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Okay GAF I got a problem.

I bought the game back when it came out, played it for a month, didnt get into it so I uninstalled it and never bothered again, I kept the game though.

Today though, bunch of us at work figured it would be cool to give the game another try, so I installed it and then realized Ive completely forgotten my login information and had no backup of it.

Ive tried to see if theres anywhere to retrieve that information, but nothing (any help for that?), then I figured "oh well" Ill make a new login, but PlayOnline didnt accept the Registration codes ... puzzled I checked the PlayOnline FAQ:

If you return to PlayOnline three months after unsubscribing, you must register a new PlayOnline account. This means you must purchase a new copy of the software to obtain a new set of registration codes.

Is that for real? If I'm gonna get back into the game I know I have to buy the new pack with all the expansions, but is this game really set that far back in terms of accessibility? If I buy the new copy and dont play it for 3 months I have to buy the fucking game again later?

I mean shit, WoW's been out for years now, and that game makes it ludicrously easy to pick back up after youve left, youd think Squeenix would have learned something from that.

Anyways, if theres any way around any of this, I'd really appreciate it, thanks a bunch!

Raging Spaniard said:
I mean shit, WoW's been out for years now, and that game makes it ludicrously easy to pick back up after youve left, youd think Squeenix would have learned something from that.

Anyways, if theres any way around any of this, I'd really appreciate it, thanks a bunch!

FFXI has been out longer than WoW - by two years i think? and try to remember your login info. how do you not use 1-3 different ones everywhere?

Top Bottom