• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

Rawk Hawk

I'm on a lot, but spend most of my time in Cata. I switch over to SoD once in a while to say Hi, but probably not as much as I should =\

Take Care Nhil

Ploid 3.0

New assault area. Don't seem to use tags just cost a few IS coins.

Mission1 : Fight waves of Fomors and Imps + Kill Imp NM
Mission2 : Protect the NPC + Kill Pirate NM
Mission3 : Kill Pirate Boss + monkey

"Ahr Ahr" Pants dropped from third mission, that can literally be spammed.
Any chance or point to do mission1 or 2 again after you beat 3?

in reply to that last question

spammable to a point where the person doesnt have more IS or cant buy any more imp. coinage from the ah...but ya hq3 may drop down fast.

Always saw imps open with AM but after that I saw single target nukes usually in the tier 4 and tier 3 agas. The NM was the only one that debuffed really and he put a sleepga 2 on the whole group that led to a nice wipe our 3rd attempt. ><
hmm sleepga, poison pots just in case.

Picture of the haste pants .5
firstonfairylc7.jpg

Picture of round 3. (no spoilers I don't think)
img_0155.jpg

Ploid 3.0

New Info

Failed 2 more attempt on the 1st round, but find out more info.

1. As someone mentioned above, killing the imp NM doesnt make u win the battle, b/c we did chainspell + stun then raped it in 30secs after the 3rd waves of fomors and still have to keep fighting.

2. Each waves of mobs seems can spawn only twice(or maybe 3?), that's if u don't kill all of them in almost the same time. if u do kill them at the same time, like blms using -ga3, then it will simply move to the next wave. At my 3rd attempt, 2 of our blms were down at the 3rd wave of fomor, then our nin need to kite the last fomor so we can recover. After the fomor was dead, the NM poped, then we did the chainspell + stun and killed it. That's how i found out of this.

3. The best setup probably are rdm/drk(SP+Stun if u go for the NM), 2 blms and 3 other jobs. And just have the rdm cast SS, blink, phalanx, use -dmg% equips then go aggro all the mob and gather them, so that the blms can use -ga3 for killing them all at once. btw, yes, camp at the top and pull them to there when u are rdy, dont try to fight at the bottom.

4. Be careful on the imp. either the NM or small ones. I believe sleepga2 from the NM or AM + -ga3 from the small ones are the main reasons that most ppl fail on this BC.

Good luck on beating this one, hope my info helps. And forgive my bad English.. ^_^

and

some details you might like to know before entering the BC:

- if you wipe and Reraise, fomors and imps will istantly aggro. I dont think it's blood aggro (Imps don't), it's just they sense yoi and come back to finish you off. So it's better to raise when you're the only one down.

- Buffs will be off upon entering. Buffs will be removed if kicked out.

- No matter if you Reraise inside, if you wipe it's Home Point for everyone unless you brought a 7th friend to wait outside of the BC. I'm not happy

edit: Ope

How far up the stairs? If you're anywhere near the stairs, they'll aggro you, you can however wipe up top of the ship and you can just hang there forever. Tell your group if they're close to death, run up the stairs, and that works just dandy.

Ploid 3.0

check this out

Tythera said:
Did the second Ashu Talif assault today (someone flagged the wrong one >.>) and when we won there was 3 treasure chests instead of the usual 2. Pictures below!

www.msu.edu/~burderde/megrim1.jpg
www.msu.edu/~burderde/megrim2.jpg
www.msu.edu/~burderde/megrim3.jpg

So far it's only given me shell twice and I keep zoning before getting to see how long the effect lasts. 45 minute recast so haven't been able to pop it too many times yet.

Edit: Popped it again and I got blink. Took off my Utsusemi and gave me regular mage blink which wore off in 2 hits :?

Ploid 3.0

For shouta. BLU solo exping.

This blu makes less exp than mertron and seem to use only af and such, mertron might have a better technique or something.

http://staronion.com/maiev/nfblog/?p=145 (taru blu solo exping imps)

I'll look for more because there are a lot of people that do this so there should be a lot of pictures or vids (I.E. Proof)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Omg, Ploid isn't dead? There are still people TRAPPED IN THERE? Has anyone found Rorschach's Fire Sword yet?

Ploid 3.0

lol hey Lone. I'm still in there >< But want to find a way to get out. In debt for gear I accepted and would be rude if I up and left. Also need to dump my fomor hate and get Shouta his swift belt.. It's still cool to do sod stuff though. SoD Exp/merit is very fun lol. The only way I'd level rdm is SoD party, but I kept pulling the weak mobs :(.

Sword not found yet haha.

Kandinsky

So you need to do assaults(wingzlol), get points and use them on salvage(wingz?lol) meaning no assault gear nor gil, then get items(drops?) and trade them? ugh sounds like alot of work, pass!

its like limbus but with a set time and when you go in it locks out your subjob, your equipment, your ja's, you can't cast magic, you have -30 on your stats, you have hp and mp down....so then you have to kill stuff to get these potion things you use to get stuff back

:lol

RuGalz

SpiderJerusalem said:
its like limbus but with a set time and when you go in it locks out your subjob, your equipment, your ja's, you can't cast magic, you have -30 on your stats, you have hp and mp down....so then you have to kill stuff to get these potion things you use to get stuff back

Sounds like a lot of fun! Get me a set then I'll come check it out!

Kandinsky

SpiderJerusalem said:

omgwtf:lol

Rawk Hawk

Fairy server is where it's at.. although I've pretty much slowed my playing to a stand still now that I picked up a few games over the holidays lol

Ploid 3.0

For lenneth and shen/hoga's wyvern lol

Ok all quotes taken from This Thread

RDM/NIN Tank!!!

wopadobop:
Argyle_Ramuh :
This thread made me lol and I only bothered reading the first page.

What is so funny about RDM tank?
We are about the best tanks there is.

Cerberus, Wyrms, Bahamut V2, etc...

We have ditched 2 PLD with Aegis, shadow mantle (they come as BLM and SMN now lol) and op for RDM/NIN tank on HNMs instead nowadays.

In terms of sheer hate,

NIN/BRD (if you can hit all members in pt with mazurka, think Tiamat) > RDM/NIN > NIN/DRK or PLD/NIN

But in situations where you fight mob far away eg cerberus, bahamut v2, then RDM triumphs in all aspects.

Argyle_Ramuh :
IDK, they were Japanese, one was trying to tank Fafnir and one was trying to tank Cerberus. In short, it was laughable. Though I laugh at most crappy tanks so I'm sure there's some good RDM tanks out there. It simply doesn't sound good to me, but maybe I'm underestimating it.

Not the greatest of gear, but it serves me well enough for tanking HNMs.

GearTank.jpg

Fafnir
Fafnir1.jpg

Jorm. For this experiment, we brought along a NIN/DRK to compare hate levels, as well as ALL BLM crew, that is right..... NO SMN or /THF to TA us.
Needless to say, RDM/NIN triumphs even when all blms go all out, manafont, etc... nuke till their mp exhaust, the mob wouldnt even move an inch.
RDMtank2.jpg

Siren-Vail:
Killed Khimaira today: we tanked it with rdm/nin + rdm/nin + pld/nin

I'll get back to you with pictures (I didn't take any myself, but a LS mate got a few screenshots I'll get them up ASAP when he sends them to me)

we only had one pld online and we had no other tanks, the khimaira before was killed by a JP LS using (pld pld rdm brd all /nin) so we took the idea from them, myself and one of the co-leaders geared up our rdms and went out to tank.

Honestly I was the "3rd" tank so I didn't tank as much as the pld or the other rdm. At one point I was weakened and the pld died, and the other rdm had to tank solo for 2 minutes, then 3 minutes of duo rdm/nin while the pld was still resting.

I died 3 times during the fight, everytime was from Turbilion while I was casting Ichi :/ that move hits hard btw, and so does Khimaira with -25% physical damage taken I was being hit for about 200-250 a hit

His Magic Damage AoEs did around 400-600 (and the only Fulmination did 700 damage to myself)

I tanked with only 1180hp and enmity+15 the other rdm had about 1260hp and +20enmity. Tanking wise, the PLD tanked 40% of it, the other rdm did about 35% and I did about 25% of the tanking. I was used primarly as the TA target and for refreshing the pld (since our tank party's support was whm whm brd)

overall hate was lost only 3 times, twice to brds and once to a whm, so I think we did pretty good for our first time

afterwards the other rdm was sending me tells
"We should totaly pimp out our rdm's for tanking! That was so fun."

Equipment: I used my "soloing" macro line since it's the only macro line I have that does't equip me with -enmity equip
Terra Staff
(no range items)
Warlock's Chapeau (used Duelist when low on MP)
Dalmatica
Dusk Gloves
Crimson Cuisses
Crimson Greaves
Harmonia's Torque
Eris' Earring x2
Jelly Ring (probably gonna use Coral ring next time for the magic damage)
Merman's Ring
Intensifying Cape
Warwolf Belt
Food: Dorado Sushi

Dispel+Sleep, 80% of the time pulled hate off the other tanks when used, it's really incredable how much hate those spells pull when your wearing +15enmity instead of my normal -20enmity

one problem I had was that my stoneskin was only giving 250 damage absorb instead of 350 (cause I wasn't wearing any +mnd and only have a base of 60mnd when /nin) also I'd like to have abit more HP (not hard if I get a few pieces of equip + merit HP beyond Lv2)
Equip I want in to improve on: Dusk Pants + Dusk Feet (for HP/haste) some HQ eris earrings would be nice (or 1 HQ + Cassie Earring) and get something in my range slot (either the Rosenbagen or the Lamia Kamen) and get myself a Cerberus Mantle :O

and because it's funny I evaded 8 attacks and parried 1 during the ~1.5 hour fight

RDM/BRD @ Faf
Well a few days ago, there was an emergency maint and we had small numbers @ faf. I decided to go /brd and test out how hard it would hit me. I started off @ tank pt, got aerial armor and everything lol. Then I was moved to the blm pt after another rdm/whm arrived.

With Pro 5, Taco, & mediocre defense gear (loljelly ring, umbra, terra staff).. I was getting hit for this much:
img20061228075148cq4.jpg

img20061228075229ed5.jpg

These are crits.

Now for regular hits:
img20061228074509do9.jpg

img20061228075654ar0.jpg

img20061228074512te4.jpg

It was all very amusing. BRD sub puts all tanks to shame hate wise. I kept hate with 3 BLMs casting and MB'ing @ will.

Keep in mind, mazurka's hate equals half a PLD's invincible so with capped mazurka recast (17sec i think?), hate wasn't a problem at all.

The dmg I took was fairly low when it comes to a mage getting hit @ fafnir. Regular hits did 150-200.. crit dmg around 250+ . That's exactly how much a PLD would do if they didn't shield block.

You see, the thing that bothers me about /NIN is no spike hate. When someone in the alliance gets hate from a nuke or big MB, you can't just remove it from him instantly. A RDM/NIN that says he can keep hate from a BLM bursting for 2500+ DMG is full of shit imo. But with mazurka and these new enhanced abilities of PLD lately, its possible for them to remove hate from BLMs.

BRD sub and some more def and hp gear might have some potential when it comes to speed kills @ faf. My LS focuses on 10 minute kills if we have a full alliance there. Anything more than 15min kills and we'll start calling our blms gimps lol.

Edit: we got full drop on this faf btw.. and the talon i got from this was a lucky one. 1/1 genie ^^

wopadobop:
lol@ cure bomb in the 3rd screenshot.

Imo, ANY job that have utsusemi /NIN can tank Fafnir. Even BLM/NIN, with the right support.

Lets see you try your RDM/BLU/BRD w/e on say Tiamat, Cerb, Bahamut V2 and Jorm etc.... from 100% > 0% with NO PLD or NIN to support you.hehe Prolly need outside healers to cure bomb you as you will turn into MP sink which is totally inefficient. Bloodtanking is so 2004 Blaize, I am really surprised you brought this up.

No one is saying /BRD is not good. But it just isn't efficient and plausible in most situations if you are MAIN RDM.

In order to generate that kind of spike hate/cap hate, your mazurka would need to hit most of the people in party.

No clue how your LS fight Bahamut, but we sure as hell don't let mages even near enough to catch a Sweeping Flail. Fighting right under Bahamut's toes is just suicide if you want to mazurka your whole PT as NIN/BRD.

Next, Jorm and Cerb. Again, mages stay really far, out of range of Paralyga and Ulvulation. There is no reason why mages should get hit by these and waste time paralynaing themselves. Totally inefficient if you ask me.

Tiamat and Fafhogg yes... we all stand at feet for obvious reasons. Those 2 mobs, NIN/BRD is superb at tanking, as you mentioned can recover easily from Roars due to the sheer hate of Mazurka.

However, if you really understand the mechanism of the game, roars should be kept at minimum or never should happen at all. As you should remember from the PM I sent you regarding wrym roars hate reset, it happens when you feed them tp on ground.
Each touchdown by wyrms, their tp is reset to 0. When we fight wyrms in small numbers (Tiamat, Ouryu w/e), we take every precaution we can and success is guaranteed from how efficient we work. As for spike hate, WHO THE HELL NEEDS IT WHEN HATE IS STAYED FOCUS ON TANKS ALL THE TIME?

RDM/NIN can AND WILL hold hate even if your BLM MB 2500. You have no clue how much hate cap RDM/NIN can achieve. Go try it out as I advised you on PM.
Our experiments on RDM tanking is on a whole new level. We control the environment as much as possible to push it to the limits.
For eg.
Name me one tank job that can let a whole alliance of BLM (yes, we use all BLM's onry for testing), nuke till their MP gone, manafont, etc.... without a single drawin/hate shift on mobs where you fight at distance.

I repeat what I said in previous page regarding tank and hate:-

All this makes me think, what if rdm wasn't meant to be support + dd job, but support + tank job. They say we solo by outlasting mobs but maybe that's just us tanking them until they die (obviously). Just take out some mp equip for enmity, fast cast, magic def, etc.

============
Wopadobop's LS entry. Shows more rdm/nin stuff.
http://www.xanga.com/wopadobop

Example
Was off for a couple of days from game, got really trashed and drunk on both Christmas eve and day, had to take another 2 more days to recover

OK, first off..... /GOODBYE PLD/NIN tanks, Hi2u RDM/NIN

Yes, there I said it.

It's like his blog or something.

Edit: lolz
Ultima2.jpg

RuGalz

Nice lol. But of course it's not possible without uberest equipments which is the problem (i.e. inaccessible to most pepole) in itself. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
RDM/NIN works, and works well. But under the right circumstances. Bop's LS doesn't generally use any melee at all. It's all usually manaburn. It's pretty easy to hold off hate with a controlled volley of spells, when you're able to cap your enmity using just spells on your own.

RDM is jack of all trades, master of none. In normal situations, it's definitely support. In situations like these, it can used as a tank. This is just the description of the job. Can it be used as a tank in normal melee/blm burst situations? Shit no. But in this manaburn type of set up? Definitely.

Ploid 3.0

I did some experimenting in a skill up party with Cor/nin, whm/nin, drk/?, PLD/war with me as rdm/nin not meleeing just trying to take hate from the pld/war. The pld/war had way more spike tools and didn't seem to want let up at all. I only had +6 enmity (cerb mantle and warwolf belt). To get hate I had to cure the pld (before he cured himself, stopped giving him refresh lol) and after I got that spike up I could pull with the usual dispel, blind, sleep rotation. I wasn't meleeing at all, the pld was meleeing and vorpal/savage blading. He also had more enmity for sure. :<

After the pld left I was able to hold hate pretty good against joyuse cor, and hexa striking/flashing whm, which sometimes tossed heavy cures on me robbing me of potential hate after vert /sigh (think he was trying to get in on the tank action *whm/nin). The ony problem I had was utsu ichi was casting faster than I was used to and I'd cancel it too late (too used to war and thf). Need more enmity. ALso after the cor got the skill level he needed, he busted out a sidewinder out of nowhere and I lost hate, was able to get it back but I couldn't be lazy (was a long skill up session, went through 2 stacks of utsu).

I want to do this but i'm in a melee heavy group. I'm going to get the rest of the enmity, -magic def bonus, and haste stuff over time. Tired of having to come support rdm, over war, thf, or sam.

Ploid 3.0

Talk about a buggy game...

http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15793&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=140

There is a dude that can DC people at will. He did some stuff on fairy.
lmaopwned.jpg

Mgarardi(Eden member)

This is quite interesting, while fighting aspid, all of our tanks dc'd myself included. Good thing it was only aspid.

Tanks only. So just filtering say and shout should work?

That was me lol <3

A discussion with a GM.
Taj said:
1.png

2.png

At this point, he got confused (the word latter must've thrown him off!) and decided that I had blundered through PlayOnline, and accidentally called a GM. Him, being the kind soul that he is, told me this and said he'd help me get back in game. I forgot to screenshot this part, yes I fail.

3.png

At this point, he flooded my client with null packets which caused a buffer overflow (wow, exploiting your own client, awesome!) which I have to admit was really funny. The following took place after I logged back in:

4.png

After that, he temp. banned me without saying anything. Enjoy!

Ploid 3.0

I feel bad about posting 3 posts in a row but no one is posting and shouta don't visit SoD forums I think. Look what this aegis pld posted. It was found out that employees of Square enix or maybe just GMs lurk on the Blue Gartr forums. The admins got something together and probably worked out a feedback thing with them. There is a thread where you post things you feel should be changed in the game for the better, and the questions will be transfered to SE and admin/mod access only part of the forums.

Dear SE
http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16304&start=60

RDM/NIN tank is becoming a detriment in most ways to the balance of the game. This is of course strictly my opinion and I don't know how many agree. It is to the point that RDM/NIN can replace PLD/NIN is far too many instances, and while RDM is supposed to be a jack-of-all-trades job, I am starting to feel like it is far too good at certain tasks, instead of being average or above average in most respects.

I think there are some basic ways to prevent it as a tank, without taking away from its capability. Perhaps a hard enmity "cap" on spells like Dispel, Bind, Blind, and possibly even Sleep/Sleep II (all common hate tools used by RDM/NIN, having low MP costs and recast timers when haste is stacked). The ability to generate enmity, coupled with the defensive, and damage-negating abilities, enfeebling magic, the ability to cast self-barspells, haste, and refresh(!), while taking advantage of copy images, make this combination incredibly powerful, especially as a solo tanking job in large-scale fights. Terror and similar monster weapon skills, made to intentionally prevent these instances of players overpowering mobs are scoffed at by a tank with the ability to generate so much enmity and take single-digit damage on a regular basis. I have considered other alternatives as well, but I felt this one was the most worthwhile to post as it seemed the most "logical", knowing SE's track record of adjusting enmity (the Utsusemi modification, and the recent Sentinel upgrade).

I feel the developers should already be aware of how this job, when used as a tank, scoffs at other jobs designed to perform best in these situations, such as PLD/NIN or NIN/DRK (NIN/BRD in many cases as well). RDM/NIN takes away from these jobs in essence by being a well-rounded class on paper, but too powerful in play. PLD/NIN, even with the relic "Aegis" (I own one of these) only seem to play catch-up to what RDM/NIN is capable of doing in such short time with Fast Cast, Stoneskin, Phalanx, and Bar-spells.

Please consider "nerfing" something about RDM/NIN. I don't much care what it is, but this is getting quickly out of hands. It has, in my opinion, gone beyond players using the game-breaking combinations to their advantage and has reached the level of "ridiculous".

I seriously need to get serious about rdm/nin lol

Susurrus

Wait, so spamming Dispel, Blind, Sleep I/II, and Bind is enough to hold hate? Personally, I'm pretty good at tanking on RDM/NIN with the exception of holding hate.

I may have to try this...:D

Ploid 3.0

Yea it's good, need enmity gear though. Normally you have -enmity on rdm. Even with -enmity, if you cast sleep during exp or something a few times and a melee wake it up and voke you still get chased down. Add blind, bind, dispel *very good hate tool, and such and you got constant spaming of hate generators. The problem I see with my 6 enmity setup is running out of mp (no brd refresh). I needs more enmity items, and maybe i'll be able to cast less.

Lonestar

oh no ploid! That Gold Pass only works on my first characther, and won't let me use a 2nd ID for it! What about a regular world pass??? UGH!

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Uhm, not 100% sure what you mean but if you already have a char on a server (in this case i assume its fairy?), you just create a new character and type fairy in the server name, no world pass needed.

Lonestar

It's not fairy, it's Lakshmi. I got a gold pass to get to that server, then I tried using Ploid's Gold Pass and it said "only on the first characther" or something.

Ploid 3.0

It wouldn't let me buy another wp. I'll try to get someone else to get a pass today if you didn't get one from Shouta or any of the SoD people.

Lonestar

heh, ID is Lonestar-GA.

I have your name popping up, but unless everyone changed their ID or something, no one else ever shows up on my list

Tamanon

Banned
So, starting over, decided to have a little fun. Gonna start a Hume Rogue and see how things go:) I understand you can just get on any world now without a worldpass, thank god.

Or maybe a Mithra......then I could play the rogue and play a RDM if I get that urge, lol.

Lonestar

I haven't given up, really! Just sold the house, now looking to decide what I want to do with my life. Stay in this town at my job, or move closer to family and do something else. "Should I stay or should I go now?"

Tamanon

Banned
Nvm, got a hume RDM up to level 10 so far. I love that little XP ring you get from guards. Useful as hell. A few more levels and.....-shudder- Dunes.

Tamanon

Banned
Holy crap, I forgot about the pain in the ass leveling your first job up is. I just want to get to 30 so I can make a dang RNG.:lol At this rate, I'm close to just buying a character. Up to a 16 RDM now, but grouping is sparse.

Top Bottom