• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

B'z-chan

Banned
I have come back to my redheaded step child otherly known as FFXI after more than 19 months i've come back to Vanidiel on a new console on a new server but still a freaking Paly Elven.

Its been so long my addiction is now going to be settled once and for all.

dark_chris

Anyone on Titan? Hit me up people!

Veucleudant
Nation: San D'Oria
Level 39 Samurai / Level 19 Monk or Warrior *i switch from them*
Rank 5.1
:)

Nutter

Anyone on the server Midgardsormer? (dont even know the right spelling :( .. )

Doing the Paladin quest right now and uhm Need some high level help.

B'z-chan

Banned
HEY NUTTERS OF FAIRY LAND ( CALLING OUT ALL FAIRY DWELLERS )

will someone get us up a World Pass for Fairy so i might transplant me and friend there to magical fairy land?

If you can i'd pay back for a Gold World Pass once i get some gil

you want gold? or regular so you can et gold for your friend? sorry i forget to check in here sometimes

I pm'd you a gold it wouldn't let me get both
oh I have dynamis tonight, if you come on while I'm in that send tell to spiderlily and I'll see if I can get someone to send you money for a pass for your friend

B'z-chan

Banned
Thank you spider so much, i hope you guys are this helpful in game as well. Kujata wasnt cutting it. Not very many nice people. So thats why i suggested fairy lots of support from fellow gaffers and others.

Thanks for the wp

Erdrick

I am tempted to buy the recent expansion and start again... I quit over a year ago... But I'm getting the urge to play it again.

I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Cimarron

Wow folks still play FFXI on here! I just started up again this weekend. I'm on Odin. What is the GAF server? Fairy or Titan? And can some one hook me up with a world pass? I need to get hooked up with a good social clan.

Shouta

Most of us are on Fairy but a lot of us haven't been on lately or been only a few days. I haven't signed on in a week or two since I've been busy with some RPGs and some scanlation work.

hgplayer1

Im playing on Midgardsormr. the linkshell Im in right now is kind of split up but theyre a good group of players. as far as I can tell Im the only GAFer in the LS but its still a very active one at this point. Id be happy to send get a worldpass for anyone interested.

bengraven

Question for those on 360: I want to play now, but I'm not getting my debit card for another month or so, so I'll not have my card #. When I install the game, do I HAVE to have a card # at this time, even though my first month is free?

Zalasta

o_O

I've quit FFXI since Feb., but I was once a resident of Fairy. My game character's name is the same as my handle here, was the 2nd NA WHM to reach 75 and I was part of notED, which I believe is still alive and kicking. Have I seen some of you around before?

Shouta

Most of us have been on Fairy for ages. You should know quite a few of our names, Ploid, Darsh/Kenshiro, Jae, Nightwing, Spiderlily, Shenmu, Sacan, and Lenneth (me). We've been around since launch and the LS still persists to this day albeit with fewer people. Most of us have a secondary LS we're in too. Most of the gang is with TG but Ploid is with Eden and I'm with Refugees

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
hah, thought Darsh and Jae quit a long time ago. Nice to see some of you guys are still around, fighting...whatever those things are called. They have teeth.

ronito

So. After having given up on FFXI more than a year ago (Spoony: jobs bard, white mage, blk mage) I've decided to start up again. For some reason I've just been missing it.

So a few questions. I'm just playing with the original FFXI/Zilart pack. I remember when Chains first came out, but just added new sections and I was still not a high enough level to enjoy most of them. Now with Ahnt out should I get that? I know the new jobs, but really I'm fine being a bard. Also if everyone's on Fairy someone want to PM a world pass?

jiggle

ronito said:
. Now with Ahnt out should I get that? I know the new jobs, but really I'm fine being a bard.

Depends on the level of your job. There seem to be a preference to PT in the new area past certain level.

Ploid 3.0

Shouta I need a favor. Could you find highlights (the best parts of this interview) and translate for meh?

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060927/ff11tgs2.htm

Your favorite warrior -Proid-

Zalasta said:
o_O

I've quit FFXI since Feb., but I was once a resident of Fairy. My game character's name is the same as my handle here, was the 2nd NA WHM to reach 75 and I was part of notED, which I believe is still alive and kicking. Have I seen some of you around before?

Were you a gaf member way before FFXI came out? D: lol NotED XD Now we just need some TF and lol oh crap Bookey is TF XD. Any UP here? /fear

Ikse

I was in TF back in the day when it was TF vs Eminence vs FairyNetwork at every Faf/Nid spawn. I remember when Niddhy was up for over 14hrs due to us all mpk'ing each other, and a GM just came and told us to sort our own problems out :lol

Fun times :lol

Shouta

That interview is up on POL Ploid, no need for me to translate. They do make it short and sweet though and the original does elaborate a little more.

Gattsu25

Banned
Zalasta said:
o_O

Ever saw a character named Xias (*NOT* xais!!! >_<) or one named Smegmah? Those were me

Ploid 3.0

lol that was a good one XD

edit: Hey Joa... Sup
The next version update will feature adjustments to several jobs. Below is a description of the changes that will be made to the samurai job. In addition, the FINAL FANTASY XI development team plans to continue making adjustments in accordance with the announcements made at the Tokyo Game Show's Vanafesta 2006.

Adjustments to the Samurai Job

The samurai's job abilities and traits are often needed for specific situations, but tend not to stand out in experience-gaining parties. The next version update will address this issue as well as make the samurai a more viable support job for main jobs that utilize two-handed weapons.

[New Job Abilities]
Both an offensive and defensive job ability will be added. The casting intervals were made shorter than the durations so that players can use the abilities whenever they are needed. In addition, the abilities are learned at a level low enough to allow their use even when samurai is set as a support job.

· Hasso (Level 25; Recast: 1 minute; Duration: 5 minutes)
Grants a bonus to attack speed, accuracy, and Strength when using two-handed weapons.

· Seigan (Level 35; Recast: 1 minute; Duration: 5 minutes)
Grants a bonus to Third Eye when using two-handed weapons.

Seigan and Third Eye
While Seigan is in effect, the recast time for the Third Eye job ability will be decreased by half. In accordance, the duration for "Third Eye" will be adjusted.

Also, with the next version update, the player may counterattack or keep the effect of Third Eye when the player evades an attack using the Third Eye job ability. The chance that the player will keep the Third Eye effect even after evading will gradually decrease from the time the ability is used.

Points to Note:
- The effects of Hasso and Seigan do not overlap. If both abilities are used, only the most recently activated ability will take effect.
- Hasso and Seigan will only take effect when the player is equipped with a two-handed weapon.
- A penalty will be imposed on magic, song, and ninjutsu recast time while Hasso or Seigan is in effect.

[Changes to Existing Abilities]
The job trait Overwhelm will be adjusted to be more effective against high-level enemies, and the job trait Zanshin will be adjusted to increase the effectiveness of the job trait Ikishoten.

- The duration of the job ability Third Eye will be changed to 30 seconds.
- The job trait Zanshin will be acquired at level 20.
- Players will be able to use a merit point to increase weapon skill damage by 5% when the job trait Overwhelm is in effect.

As previously stated, the next version update will include several adjustments to other jobs as well.
Keep checking the main page for more information!

Powa

Edit: 2
I have never played another MMORPG, but i can't see how their fighting system can compare with FFXI's. I don't think any rpg has a battle system this detailed (as far as hate, Skill chains, Magic bursts, TP, Experienc point chains, Beast master fighting, Ninja tanking, pld/nin tanking, Support tanking, Mob situational abilities (flail for example), etc etc). How is FFXII's?

It just sux that SE don't care about the gilsellers, and never add harder mobs with better equipment to get people off the 3 kings.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
lol that was a good one XD

edit: Hey Joa... Sup

Powa

Edit: 2
I have never played another MMORPG, but i can't see how their fighting system can compare with FFXI's. I don't think any rpg has a battle system this detailed (as far as hate, Skill chains, Magic bursts, TP, Experienc point chains, Beast master fighting, Ninja tanking, pld/nin tanking, Support tanking, Mob situational abilities (flail for example), etc etc). How is FFXII's?

It just sux that SE don't care about the gilsellers, and never add harder mobs with better equipment to get people off the 3 kings.
I've played a few MMOs after my time with FFXI and (though I never reached end-game in them) I have yet to see FFXI's battle system topped

it's the only MMO I've quit that wasn't due to boredom

Nutter said:
Anyone on the server Midgardsormer? (dont even know the right spelling :( .. )

Doing the Paladin quest right now and uhm Need some high level help.

I'm on Midgard, but I don't think anyone else really is (haven't seen much talk about it - though I don't cruise through here very often).

In fact, I don't think I've logged into XI for over a month now....

hgplayer1

Clever Pun said:
I'm on Midgard, but I don't think anyone else really is (haven't seen much talk about it - though I don't cruise through here very often).

In fact, I don't think I've logged into XI for over a month now....

:lol did u happen to check the date on that post? its from July. Nutter doesnt even play FFXI anymore.

Im still playing and Im on Midgardsormr. if you still plan on playing from time to time and need a LS let me know.

hgplayer1 said:
:lol did u happen to check the date on that post? its from July. Nutter doesnt even play FFXI anymore.

Im still playing and Im on Midgardsormr. if you still plan on playing from time to time and need a LS let me know.

I did check the date, but I figured - what the hell I don't know anyone else here who plays on Midgard!

and I might play some more if I had a LS, the last one I was in broke up a while ago, and it's been a lot harder to get into the game without one.

shoot me a PM and we'll see if we can get things figure out.

Rawk Hawk

Yeah Ploid I saw that the other day and about fell out of my chair.

But I've been leveling RNG to 40, 37 for sub, but might as well go to 40 for bcnm's and such.

And everywhere I look everyone and their mother are leveling SAM now. Oh well, it's kind of fun to play with low level sams and teach them 'the way'

Ploid 3.0

New update Rawk.

The next version update will feature adjustments to several jobs. Building on the previous notice regarding the samurai job, we would like to take this opportunity to describe the changes in store for dark knights, dragoons, and ranged attacks, which are used mainly by rangers and corsairs.

Adjustments to Ranged Attacks
As a result of adjustments to make ranged attack damage differ according to the distance from the target, jobs that specialize in ranged attacks have suffered a decrease in performance. In the next version update, we plan to reassess the adjustments made to accuracy and attack power according to distance from target.

[The Distance Calculation and Added Effects]
Ranged attack damage and accuracy are currently adjusted by a calculation based on the distance of the player from the enemy target. However, we plan to decrease the values for ranged accuracy and ranged attacks used in this calculation. This will ensure that the calculation will no longer largely eliminate the enhancements given by meals and equipment. Instead, the effects will be added directly to the player's attributes.

For example, if a player eats sushi, he will be able to largely compensate for the accuracy adjustment, and if a player eats meat, he will be able to compensate for the damage adjustment.

[Changes to Distance Adjustments]
We plan to slightly widen the range in which players can deal out maximum damage using bows, crossbows, and other distance weapons, as well as ease the decrease in accuracy and attack power that comes the farther the player is from the target.

Job Adjustment: Dark Knight
Timing will soon be more important when using the Absorb-TP spell, which was added in the July version update.

[TP Absorption Amount Adjustment]
Currently, the amount of TP an enemy possesses has little effect on the amount absorbed by the Absorb-TP spell. We plan to decrease the amount of TP absorbable from enemies with few remaining TP so that players will have to consider the timing of the spell.

Job Adjustments: Dragoon
Dragoons will receive adjustments to jump abilities and will be able to copy the Stoneskin effect to their wyverns.

[Job Ability: Spirit Surge]
The recast time for the Jump, High Jump, and Super Jump job abilities will be reset when using Spirit Surge.

[Job Ability: Super Jump]
The recast time for Super Jump will change from 5 minutes to just 3 minutes. In accordance, the merit point Group 1 category "Super Jump Recast" will allow players to shorten recast time by 6 seconds instead of 10.

[Job Trait: Empathy]
Players who have acquired the Empathy job trait will be able to copy the Stoneskin effect to their wyvern when using the job ability Spirit Link.

In addition to the above adjustments, the next version update will also feature changes to the summoner job. Keep checking the main page for details in the next few days!

A quote of the way I think this change will effect rng.

this is my take on ranger.

the nerf adjusted both racc and ratt, we know this. what they just admitted is that the adjustment was after gear, AND the adjustments were too strict. So Before if you have 250 racc 250 ratt, you can bump it up to 350/350, and the nerf would still be 50%, so all that food and racc gear youre doing is hardly having an effect.

Thus they're cutting down the effects of it, AND applying it before gear and food. Right now I have 50+ racc on my regular setup, it sounds like that's actually going to make a difference since gear/food isn't nerfed anymore.

So, full racc gear + attack food = win.
Full.. well that's about it it's not like we're wars with a lot of attack vs acc options per slot. blood finger may replace my kote now though.

The only problem is SE and we don't know how little or how large the effects are going to be (like sharpshot 'fix' did nothing). So it's possible we might be able to rng/nin, melee, and still do very respectable damage with hellfire while eating meat and not missing due to racc gear.

Or it might be so insignificant it won't even matter, time will tell.

SAM/rng will be back hopefully

Kandinsky

I know, i mean i hope it actually makes a difference and not something stoopid like 3 more seconds on hastega or something :X

On the other hand, different bp(dd/buffheal) timers is really nice.

oh, looks like max of 3 min or something now on some/all depending on skill, I glossed over it since my smn skill is bad because it was too boring trying to skill it
At least it looks like they'll add skillup to bp's now, thank gawd

Kandinsky

Time to sell my 5 torques lol.

I wonder if they mean additional 3 mins, hastega lasts 1 min iirc, so 4 mins hastega would be really cool =) also, Crimson Roar+Flame Crush=win, cant wait lol

Rawk Hawk

I think it's a maximum of 3 mins, so Hastega could last up to 3 minutes, depending on skill. I'm not sure if they will allow all spells to hit the 3 minute max, but reguardless it will be nice to have them last longer. So cap that skill and get to meriting! =P

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Well, Nhil is retired as of today, officially cancelled, had been paying the bill for like 3 months without even going online once, cancelled WoW's account a few weeks ago too, i just dont have time for MMOs anymore, im entering a music band and there's too much stuffs going on in RL to keep up with all this crap.

FFXI was definitely my favorite MMO to date, i loved all the time spent on my red mage.

Seems like SoD disapeared aswell, i didnt logon to see who was online but there hasnt been a single post on the forum since august 1st, probably all in TG now uh?

Shouta

Nah, some of us haven't had time to get on and some of us have stopped playing. Darsh and Jae are done at the moment, I've been busy, and Spider/Night are in TG all the time.

Top Bottom