• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Generation Awards

Firemind

Jungle Beat's overrated by some on GAF. It's a great game, but it's very repetitive and reuses the same bosses again and again.

I would consider it Sunshine tier; fun but not amazing.
lol first shitting on metroid fusion, now this.

you do realize the bosses are tacked on. the meat of the game is scoring bananas and racking up multipliers, which sunshine completely lacks. they're simply different games. if you're not trying to play for high scores, you're doing it wrong. it's a very arcadey game in that regard.

Jamix012

we all know that the ps2 has more good games than the gamecube. But what Anth0ny was doing there was comparing great games (the supposedly 10 "best" games of both consoles). If we only talk about the best games, some would argue that the gamecube can compete. If we talk about what each console offered as a whole, the gamecube can't compete.

I'd contest this statement. With regards to games that appeal to my tastes I'd say the PS2 is joint third amongst home consoles for the Gen despite some masterpieces like MGS3. Anything we talk about here will be subjective whichever way you want to spin it.

The stats don't lie:

Best Platform (including multiplatform)
1. PlayStation 2 - 4732
2. Gamecube - 2664

Best Platform (exclusives only)
1. PlayStation 2 - 2511
2. Gamecube - 1682

Plus the GCN has Mario Sunshine, a legitimately mediocre Mario game in its top 10. What game does the PS2 have on that same spot? DMC1 the fucking grand daddy of a sub genre.

A console with 7-8 times the install base didn't manage to double the points of the 'cube? Whoda thunk it. I'd take Sunshine over 99.5% of PS2 games, personally.

Didn't get around to voting, but I'm very okay with this list. Not the typical "gaf" list I think one might expect. Was happy to see a lot of games held in consideration for what they accomplished in their time and how they have influenced things since, as well as being incredible games in their own right.

plus I'm happy to see Persona 4 make the bakers dozen

d00d3n

That's a great list, aside from the fact that BGII and RE4 should swap places.

One is the most ambitious Western RPG ever created, one is a good, albeit astoundingly overrated, action horror game.

Although BGII has strong competition from titles released in the end of the 90s such as Planescape: Torment, Fallout and Fallout 2 (or even Baldur's Gate).

Steel

Banned
Tons of great games from this gen. Feels weird to not have played any of the games that got voted into the top 4.

Toxi

Banned
lol first shitting on metroid fusion, now this.
Metroid Fusion is the 2nd worst 2D Metroid (after Metroid 2).

It's got horrendous pacing issues with the navigation rooms and elevator scenes, a fanfic level plot, and no feeling of exploration. Even the "atmosphere" people rave about disappears on repeat playthroughs because of how simple the world design is. You feel like a glorified janitor with Adam telling you "go clean up the vomit spill in Sector 3" and shit like that.

Oh, and its final boss sucks, which is a shame because the game otherwise has really great bosses. That's probably the best thing about Fusion, the fantastic boss roster: Serris, Yakuza, Nightmare, Ridley, both B.O.X fights...

Zero Mission is sleek and wonderfully freeform. Prime 2 has horrendous pacing, but at least is a very complex and interesting game. Metroid Fusion is fast-food without being nearly as convenient.

you do realize the bosses are tacked on. the meat of the game is scoring bananas and racking up multipliers, which sunshine completely lacks. they're simply different games. if you're not trying to play for high scores, you're doing it wrong. it's a very arcadey game in that regard.
You are required to beat the bosses to unlock new worlds.

Also, I know what the point of the game is. The problem is that the game just isn't that amazing. I never felt "WOW I'M HAVING A BLAST" while playing Jungle Beat.

Dahbomb

Agreed, I would have liked to see some Socom 2, Gran Turismo 3/4, GTA, Twisted Metal Black, Fatal Frame games, platformers, etc.
Also missing Tekken 5, VF4:EVO, Zone of the Enders 2, the Jak games, R&C games etc. PS2 never lacked variety but as far as that top 10 is concerned, it seems the JRPG fans, action game fans and ICO/SOTC fans came in full force to vote. The PS2 library is just immensely stacked, you could probably have a different top 10 if you voted in a different era.

Who cares if genres overlap? The PS2 Top 10 is bathing in quality, and they're all vastly unique titles. Calling the list "devoid of variety" is just silly.

How so? There's only 3 games in the list that aren't from the same franchise. If we're to believe they're the top 10 games on PS2 and represent a snpashot of the system then it's a bad list, IMO.
Agreed, I would have liked to see some Socom 2, Gran Turismo 3/4, GTA, Twisted Metal Black, Fatal Frame games, platformers, etc.

Lack of GT3 and GTA were the things that stood out to me too.

Amazing list

One complaint is how everyone forgot the GBa, because when looking at its top 10 games, it goes toe-to-toe with the consoles.

I guess it has more to do with the way people regard handhelds, plus the fact that this was such a difficult top 10 to vote for

Not going to complain about specific game placements, as
A. I didn't vote
B. That's just how it turned out, and the majority of the games I expected to be there were there

Megatron

Game Cube's undeniable IMPACT.

To be sure, it had some absolute gems. My list had 7 games on that system on it compared to only 3 for PS2 and 1 for XB.

However if and when we do this list for the next gen, I have a feeling the Wii is going to really struggle to have any games that make my list. One of the Mario Galaxy games might get on there, and that's it.

How so? There's only 3 games in the list that aren't from the same franchise. If we're to believe they're the top 10 games on PS2 and represent a snpashot of the system then it's a bad list, IMO.
Who said they're supposed to be a snapshot? As far as I know, the point of this wasn't to give an overview of the PS2. The list is supposed to communicate what people believe are the ten best games on the system. Who cares if games are from the same franchise? They're great games, and indeed are arguably the best games on the platform.

EDIT: There are four games that aren't from the same franchise.

1. Metal Gear Solid 3
2. Shadow of the Colossus
3. Final Fantasy X
4. Persona 4
5. Devil May Cry 3
6. Ico
7. Final Fantasy XII
8. God of War 2
9. Devil May Cry
10. Persona 3

Amazing list

One complaint is how everyone forgot the GBa, because when looking at its top 10 games, it goes toe-to-toe with the consoles.

I guess it has more to do with the way people regard handhelds, plus the fact that this was such a difficult top 10 to vote for

I doubt a lot of people owned a GBA. I had one and only had Yoshi's Island for it before I lost it.

Toxi

Banned
To be sure, it had some absolute gems. My list had 7 games on that system on it compared to only 3 for PS2 and 1 for XB.

However if and when we do this list for the next gen, I have a feeling the Wii is going to really struggle to have any games that make my list. One of the Mario Galaxy games might get on there, and that's it.
Depends on if Metroid Prime Trilogy counts. :p

Steel

Banned
I'm surprised by how low Grandia 2 is, considering the heavy JRPG nature of the generation. It's approximately one BILLION times better than FFX, for instance. Maybe its genesis as a non-Playstation franchise doomed it for PS2 owners.

I wouldn't say that generation was JRPG heavy, rather it was heavy on everything. Every genre was healthy during that gen.

Toxi

Banned
I wouldn't say that generation was JRPG heavy, rather it was heavy on everything. Every genre was healthy during that gen.
Lots of genres weren't healthy. Just look at the list of platformers, or the complete lack of adventure games.

Tomohawk

I'm kind of in the same boat, will probably just have Cave story, NMH and Mario Galaxy.

Steel

Banned
Lots of genres weren't healthy. Just look at the list of platformers, or the complete lack of adventure games.

Don't know what you're talking about with platformers. Maybe it's because I was never a fan of 2d platformers, but I found the PS2 gen to be great for platformers, you had Banjo Kazooie, Jak, Prince of Persia games, etc.

But now that you mention it the adventure genre kinda died around the time that gen started.

ec0ec0

The PS2 has more great games too.

with great i meant, like i said, "the supposedly 10 "best" games of both consoles". Anth0ny was comparing 10 games vs 10 games. Is not that difficult to understand.

And the PlayStation 2 has more of everything, we know. It was the f*cking PlayStation 2 :p

Kurtofan

Don't know what you're talking about with platformers. Maybe it's because I was never a fan of 2d platformers, but I found the PS2 gen to be great for platformers, you had Banjo Kazooie, Jak, Prince of Persia games, etc.

But now that you mention it the adventure genre kinda died around the time that gen started.

Banjo Kazooie?

But yeah 3D platformers wise this was a great gen. But this was also one of the worst gen 2D platformer wise! Wario Land IV and DKJB were pretty much the only major 2D platformer released this gen and they were far from being perfect games.

The Adventure genre was dead as fuck, save a few pearls like TLJ or Syberia.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Haha! I actually had SSX Tricky on my list, never had expected it to take sports game of the generation though xD

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Kotor not in the top 10? Sometimes GAF disgusts me.

Surprised there's no love for the sequel either, even though I think it's the lesser game myself.

myco666

There is still 7 different franchises represented on the list so I think it is decent list.

spekkeh

Banned
I think voter age is partially a factor. Barrier of entry for PC was higher, cost and difficulty, at the time. If I had to guess, members in their early twenties and younger in 2015 grew up with the Gamecube.
Could be, though, I don't know how it is in other parts of the world, but in my experience, especially in the days before the ubiquitous laptops and tablets, nearly everyone started out gaming on their parents' PC. And it's the console that came a bit later and had a price barrier of entry (specifically something you saved up for once you knew you liked gaming).

Wind Waker's high spot just reinforces my view that GAF is very, very, (very) presentation-focused. In terms of game mechanics, dungeons, bosses, variety... hell, just about everything related to playing the game, Twilight Princess has it beat.

But Wind Waker looks so unique and charming that it doesn't matter how it plays, or that it has obviously missing dungeons, or that the dungeons and bosses that are there are generally worse than any 3D Zelda game you can think of. It has a good story and a beautiful aesthetic and that's enough for a lot of people.
It doesn't seem very sensical to me to want to purposefully leave out the adventure from the adventure game. Yes presentation is important, that's kind of what the game is about. Immersing yourself in and finding out about that delightful world. I liked Twilight Princess less because so much of it was derivative of OoT. I wasn't so much exploring as I was checkmarking the different locations.

Axass

Although BGII has strong competition from titles released in the end of the 90s such as Planescape: Torment, Fallout and Fallout 2 (or even Baldur's Gate).

Sure, BG is great but lacks in scope and variety in confront to the sequel, sadly I still have to play Fallout 1 and 2, as for Torment, it's an amazing game, but I always preferred BGII because it strikes a better balance of plot and combat, whereas Torment is way more plot/setting oriented; mind you, the writing is excellent, it's just overwhelming.

Let's see which one I have played out of the top 15
  1. Resident Evil 4 (Played it on GC, Planning on beating it on PC)
  2. Metroid Prime (Played it on GC, I'll beat it when I get a Wii U)
  3. Metal Gear Solid 3 (Beaten on PS3)
  4. Shadows of the Colossus (I gave up on the game because I didn't enjoy the controls, might give it another shot in the near future)
  5. Super Smash Bros Melee
  6. Half Life 2 (Beaten on PC 2 years ago)
  7. Metal Gears Solid 2 (Beaten on PS3)
  8. Zelda: Wind Waker
  9. Halo (I'll play it if I get an Xbox One)
  10. Final Fantasy X (I'll play it when it comes out on PS4)
  11. Sillent Hill 2 (Saw a Playthrough)
  12. Persona 4 (Beaten on PSVita)
  13. KOTOR (Beaten on iOS)
  14. Vice City (Never got into the story, radio was great though)
  15. San Andreas (Apparently I just had to follow the train -_- )
7 Beaten
5 Started never finished
3 Never Played

Funny enough, the GC games are the only ones I played from the 6th gen, everything else was beaten or played on 7th gen game devices XD

0e3.png

It's tough to argue with or fault this list.

I don't see GTA 3 up there in the main list, so I'm contentious there, but there are a lot of great games listed.

I think this list is great, but what I dont get is how a Jak game could beat Super Mario Sunshine and Wario Land 4 for plattformer of the generation.
Jak 1 is sort of safe but very solid, I don't find it have many glaring issues and there really is some fun platforming to be had.
But now I feel bad for snubbing Wario Land 4, it's a great game if a touch short lived, I guess WL2 spoiled me in that regard.

It's obvious what you're implying, but I think the real answer is that the actual platorming isn't that great in most of those games. R&C is more of an action game, and the Jak games after 1 lost focus of what made the original so great. Haven't played Sly though so can't comment on that.

Glad Jak 1 came in first, I hated Sunshine.
Sly 1 is decent, oddly its platforming got worse about halfway through when they gave you the ability to snap to certain objects mid jump which trivialises everything.
Not sure how its sequels pan out on the platforming side, with Ratchet I've still only played two of the PS3 entries and I'd agree that it's not much of a platformer in the grand scheme of things.

Jak and Daxter has aged horribly....the game is painfully unfinished
Painfully? I suppose there's a few too many power cells collected through precursor orb acquisition which is a bit filler like but otherwise I don't find much there that sticks out as majorly unfinished unlike Super Mario Sunshine which radiates signs of a rushed release.

Jungle Beat's overrated by some on GAF. It's a great game, but it's very repetitive and reuses the same bosses again and again.

I'm quite forgiving of its boss reuse on the ground that they're pretty enjoyable, compare to Sunshine's Blooper and Goopy paint plants and I'll fight the various Rocs all day long.

Wait, you never thought "WOW I'M HAVING A BLAST" and also dumped on Fusion? Toxi you were supposed to be my friend!

Wind Waker looks great and I liked its last couple dungeons

but the game is ass lets be real here
Impossible statement.

Seeing as the Wind Temple blew chunks for a final dungeon.

Nintendo EAD tokyo developed a 2d platformer named donkey kong jungle beat, sorry. It's true that gaf decided to forget about it, thought.

All games have flaws, but i don't think that jungle beat can be described as " a flawed game"?
You'll have to forgive me for forgetting that 2D platformers even existed that gen.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm honestly surprised enough people played it on Gamecube for it to even get as high as it did.
Some people preferred the GameCube controls, and don't forget it was kinda hard to get a Wii for a while. Some people couldn't wait and got it for GC.

Servbot24

Banned
1. Gamecube
2. PS2
lol. XBox

It is known. u_u

(primarily because Metroid Prime lords over all, that PS2 list is still beautiful)

Glad to see ninja Gaiden win so many awards, but looking at those lists, lastgen was way better for me when it comes to the quantity of games that I actually want to play.

I may not agree with everything but 1 thing i can tell you. Neogafs lists are way better than places like IGNs lists.

nice to see FFX as RPG of the generation :)

Azure J

Wind Waker looks great and I liked its last couple dungeons

but the game is ass lets be real here

I am in such a weird position every time real objective critique has to be leveraged against Wind Waker. The dungeons it possesses are so brutally simple, the over world is a massive hit or miss based on who is asked, and that triforce hunt really hurts the game's pacing (especially since when it becomes the major task, the story was really escalating well only to slam into a brick wall of Tingle bills and backtracking).

At the same time, there's just enough about the game (specifically in its visual design, characterization and thematics) where you sorta feel bad about knowing the previous is all true and want to give it more leeway. If the game had kept the blue pearl temple, gotten two more dungeons of TP quality and say three distinct mini dungeons for three pieces of the triforce, it would at least have enough content to hang with the other 3D Zeldas.

Jungle Beat would flat out be a better game that any other platformer of that generation AND any other DK game if there were more original content and the bosses were more varied. That game is wild creative and has some of the most satisfying score attack mechanics, a wickedly satisfying action-response cycle, and the most nimble variant of Donkey Kong ever. This is all coming from someone who played the Wii version of the game. I can't imagine how hilariously fun it would be with the bongos.

Why the FUCK isn't stretchy arms "will mollywhop you for bananas" DK the DK in Smash man... ;____;

1. Gamecube
2. PS2
lol. XBox

It is known. u_u

(primarily because Metroid Prime lords over all, that PS2 list is still beautiful)

I'm trying to figure out how PS2 would rank below any other console. Seems like it has the best catalog of games any way you slice it.

Half of the top 10, half of the top 20, and half of the top 30 were on PS2. Not to mention 3 of the top 4.

Ganondorfo

Is it me, or was the last generation not as interesting as the PS2 generation? Maybe it was the last generation where japanese developers still made masterpieces month after month. Not saying that the PS3 generation was mediocre, it was still good, but it doesnt feel as exciting as the PS2 generation.

Top Bottom