• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Generation Awards

Anth0ny

Played and completed the bolded:

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metal Gear Solid 3

4. Shadow of the Colossus
5. Super Smash Bros. Melee
6. Half-Life 2
7. Metal Gear Solid 2
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
9. Halo: Combat Evolved

10. Final Fantasy X
11. Silent Hill 2
12. Persona 4
13. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
14. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
15. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

16. World of Warcraft
17. Deus Ex
18. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
19. F-Zero GX
20. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

21. Ninja Gaiden
22. Devil May Cry 3
23. Diablo II
24. Halo 2
25. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

I need to fix that so it's all bolded...

Is it me, or was the last generation not as interesting as the PS2 generation? Maybe it was the last generation where japanese developers still made masterpieces month after month. Not saying that the PS3 generation was mediocre, it was still good, but it doesnt feel as exciting as the PS2 generation.

Not even remotely as interesting. Some good/great games here and there, but nothing compared to PS2/Xbox/Gamecube.

Japan had a huge downfall last gen from PS2 gen. The only example where a big Japanese franchise improved over their offerings during 6th gen was Nintendo with Mario Galaxy (over Sunshine). That's really all I could think of. Most were either steps back (Metal Gear Solid, Zelda, Smash Bros) or downright disappointing (Resident Evil, Metroid).

Wiktor

Is it me, or was the last generation not as interesting as the PS2 generation? Maybe it was the last generation where japanese developers still made masterpieces month after month. Not saying that the PS3 generation was mediocre, it was still good, but it doesnt feel as exciting as the PS2 generation.

On consoles? Yeah. But on PC I feel that period was a lot better than the one during PS2 era.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
1. Resident Evil 4 - ★★★½
2. Metroid Prime - ★★★
3. Metal Gear Solid 3 - ★★★★½
4. Shadow of the Colossus - ★★★★★
6. Half-Life 2 - ★★★½
7. Metal Gear Solid 2 - ★★★★
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - ★★★
10. Final Fantasy X - ★★
11. Silent Hill 2 - ★★★★★
12. Persona 4
13. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - ★★★½
14. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - ★★★★★
15. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - ★★★★★
16. World of Warcraft - ★★★★★
17. Deus Ex
19. F-Zero GX
21. Ninja Gaiden
22. Devil May Cry 3 - ★★★½
23. Diablo II - ★★★★
24. Halo 2 - ★★★½
25. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - ★★

Yup. Scores for the games I've played. Overall a really good list by GAFfers.

Jimrpg

In bold what I played:
Plus sign (+) what I finished:
Star (*) - my rating (out of 5)

1. Resident Evil 4 - ran out of bullets halfway and got stuck
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metal Gear Solid 3 - beat The End boss and game wasn't grabbing me so I stopped. I've got it on the Vita now so I'll give it another shot soon.
6. Half-Life 2
7. Metal Gear Solid 2 + ***
9. Halo: Combat Evolved + *****
10. Final Fantasy X + *****
11. Silent Hill 2 + *****
12. Persona 4 - kind of got bored with the limited combat (about 10 hours in)
16. World of Warcraft
17. Deus Ex
19. F-Zero GX
21. Ninja Gaiden - was disappointed with the story so I stopped playing
22. Devil May Cry 3
23. Diablo II + **** - haven't played Lord of Destruction yet though.
24. Halo 2 + *** Crap story

Guess I got a lot more to play. Welp. I really want to play RE4 on the gamecube because that's the only game I have on the system. I don't really want to get the Steam/Wii/PS2 version....

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, let me do this too:

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metal Gear Solid 3

6. Half-Life 2
7. Metal Gear Solid 2

10. Final Fantasy X
11. Silent Hill 2
12. Persona 4

16. World of Warcraft
17. Deus Ex
19. F-Zero GX

21. Ninja Gaiden
22. Devil May Cry 3
23. Diablo II
24. Halo 2

I should really play Ninja Gaiden and DMC 3 :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Glad to see FFX as top of the RPG. :)

Resident Evil 4 is a masterclass in game design.The mechanics, the variety, the pacing, the bosses, the content, the presentation, it's the greatest action game of all time.

Kujo

Props to AniHawk, I need to replay RE4.

If I may suggest though, I'd say Jet Set Radio and Future would fit better in the Platformer category (especially JSRF) rather than Action.

Also ban Jak II, that is all.

en0s

Neo Member
good, at least Baldur's gate 2 made the top 20 =)
can't believe FFX is the rpg of the gen though.
KOTOR over BG2 as well?
and I guess I really need to try Persona 4

us Warcraft 3 voters were split over Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne (FT was an expansion), still, it would just jump 1 or 2 places at best if we just voted WC3.
best strategy game from the gen and GOTF after WOW =)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
1. Resident Evil 4
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
6. Half-Life 2
7. Metal Gear Solid 2
10. Final Fantasy X

11. Silent Hill 2
12. Persona 4
16. World of Warcraft

17. Deus Ex
19. F-Zero GX
21. Ninja Gaiden
22. Devil May Cry 3
23. Diablo II
24. Halo 2

Bolded what I played, I think I got through a fair amount of em. Silent Hill 2 is a massive gap for me though, I heard the HD remasters were terrible though.

It's horror-themed, so it's a horror game. Whether or not you actually find it scary is a different issue entirely, and not what was being measured.

Exactly, RE4 is action-horror whereas REmake is survival-horror. The first encounter with the Regenerators is one of the scariest parts of the entire series.

Played and completed the bolded:

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metal Gear Solid 3

6. Half-Life 2
7. Metal Gear Solid 2

10. Final Fantasy X
11. Silent Hill 2
12. Persona 4

16. World of Warcraft
17. Deus Ex
19. F-Zero GX

21. Ninja Gaiden
22. Devil May Cry 3
23. Diablo II
24. Halo 2

I need to fix that so it's all bolded...

Not even remotely as interesting. Some good/great games here and there, but nothing compared to PS2/Xbox/Gamecube.

Japan had a huge downfall last gen from PS2 gen. The only example where a big Japanese franchise improved over their offerings during 6th gen was Nintendo with Mario Galaxy (over Sunshine). That's really all I could think of. Most were either steps back (Metal Gear Solid, Zelda, Smash Bros) or downright disappointing (Resident Evil, Metroid).

Paper Mario aside, pretty much all the Mario games improved since the Gamecube days. Nintendo's output in general improved, but it wasn't really seen in any of the big Gamecube franchises for whatever reason.

Griss

Top 2 were exactly what I voted for, top 5 were all in my top 8. I guess GAF and I share similar tastes. Played and loved so many of these games. Bolded is what I played with comments as to how much. I'll only comment on the quality of the ones I didn't like as much as most of these games are masterpieces.

1. Resident Evil 4 - Beat it multiple times.
2. Metroid Prime - Beat it multiple times.
3. Metal Gear Solid 3 - Beat it multiple times.
4. Shadow of the Colossus - Beat it once, played multiple times.
5. Super Smash Bros. Melee - Put hundreds of hours into it.
6. Half-Life 2 - Beat it once, was slightly underwhelmed. Not really a PC gamer, don't really enjoy playing games on PC. Wouldn't be in my top 25 at all.
7. Metal Gear Solid 2 - Beat it once, played it twice. First game on the list I think is outright bad. Strongly dislike this game.
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Beat it multiple times.
9. Halo: Combat Evolved - Never had an Xbox
10. Final Fantasy X - Beat it once. Was fun and memorable, but flawed. Bloody voice acting ruined JRPGS.
11. Silent Hill 2 - Strangely for a 'gamer', I had never heard of this game before joining GAF. One that slipped through my awareness.
12. Persona 4 - Beat it once, played it twice. Flawed, but still JRPG of the generation for me.
14. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Can't believe I never played this game. Was still Nintendo-only when it came out.
15. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Put about 100 hours into this game. Not sure I ever beat the last boss, lol.
16. World of Warcraft Spent about 6 months of my life on this one. Thank god it wasn't more. Masterpiece of a game.
17. Deus Ex - Never beat it. Didn't click with me.
19. F-Zero GX 100%'d this one, still proud of it.
20. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Beat it once. Good game, a little underwhelming. Doesn't belong anywhere near this list imo.
21. Ninja Gaiden - Played it but never got far. Not my kind of game.
22. Devil May Cry 3 - See above. God of War was the same. Bayonetta was the first ever action game I liked. It was so good that it broke through my dislike of the genre.
23. Diablo II
24. Halo 2 - No Xbox
25. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Beat it multiple times, but on the Wii

Played 18/25. Not bad for someone who was still a diehard Nintendo fanboy entering that generation and refused to buy anything else until the PS2 slim, which opened my eyes.

Nice, thanks for doing this! No big surprises really in there. Games i've played inline, few notable omissions i should try and fix this year!

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metal Gear Solid 3

6. Half-Life 2
7. Metal Gear Solid 2
10. Final Fantasy X

11. Silent Hill 2
12. Persona 4
16. World of Warcraft

17. Deus Ex
19. F-Zero GX
21. Ninja Gaiden
22. Devil May Cry 3
23. Diablo II
24. Halo 2

I was f5ing when OP was going up but didn't make it to post 6 and forgot to come back.

Great list imo. Gaf hype lists are a bit embarrassing each year but the review lists always seem very nicely balanced. Thanks for putting this together.

Busaiku

I thought last gen was much better.
With DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, and PC, there was so much variety and quality that I feel blows away 6th gen.
PS3 was significantly worse than PS2, but the generation as a whole was much stronger, I feel.

I thought last gen was much better.
With DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, and PC, there was so much variety and quality that I feel blows away 6th gen.
PS3 was significantly worse than PS2, but the generation as a whole was much stronger, I feel.

I think PS2 and GC were better than PS3 and Wii respectively, however for the rest of it the succeeding console had a larger library of quality games, and some truly remarkable third party output.

Guess I'll get in on the rating game.

1. Resident Evil 4 ****
2. Metroid Prime *****
3. Metal Gear Solid 3 *****
4. Shadow of the Colossus ****1/2
6. Half-Life 2 ****
7. Metal Gear Solid 2 ****1/2
9. Halo: Combat Evolved ****1/2
10. Final Fantasy X ****
11. Silent Hill 2 *****
12. Persona 4 (P4G is *****)
13. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic ****1/2
16. World of Warcraft (Played a lot, but how do I judge the game? It's still getting expansions).
17. Deus Ex
18. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn *****
19. F-Zero GX
21. Ninja Gaiden
22. Devil May Cry 3
23. Diablo II **
24. Halo 2 ****
25. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ***

3 of the top 5 GotG games were Gamecube game.

Such an underrated system.

2/5. Resident 4 isn't a GameCube game. It's on like, 500 platforms. I know it came out first on GC, but let's not treat it like an exclusive.

And I feel like the GC isn't even underrated amongst gamers. People talk poorly about the sales, sure, but I generally see it as highly regarded in our community.

Glad to see FFX as top of the RPG. :)

Ultros, you have good taste. Every time I see you comment on a RPG thread, I think "This guy. He knows RPGs."

FFX is fantastic. Second only to Chrono Cross and Dragon Quest V in my book.

original_original.gif

*Sees the first game* It's not Half-Life 2... We are done here. *Closes thread*

I don't think Half-Life 2 has aged very well, to be honest. The unskippable totally-not-cutscenes (but we're gonna lock you in a room and talk to you for five minutes) make it a chore on replays.

Besides, as GAF is largely console-focused, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people first experienced the game through the Orange Box, and thus consider it a last-gen game, not a PS2-gen game.

Finished the bolded, played the italic (I'm about to finish KOTOR though).

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
6. Half-Life 2
7. Metal Gear Solid 2
10. Final Fantasy X
11. Silent Hill 2
12. Persona 4

16. World of Warcraft
17. Deus Ex
19. F-Zero GX

21. Ninja Gaiden
22. Devil May Cry 3
23. Diablo II
24. Halo 2

Not too much overlap with my list, but that's okay, it was a great generation, one of the best. Much better than the following, even though quality platforming kinda died off (which is why it doesn't make too much sense complaining about the platformer ranking) and the (important to me) Nintendo flagships fell flat on their faces. In fact, Wind Waker sticks out like a sore thumb, the GCN version especially was legit bad, but I guess an obligatory Zelda ''has'' to be in there (and the title is old enough to be certain people's first contact with the series, hushing up the enormous flaws) and the superior one is cross gen, unfortunately. At least Prime killed it.
Not interested in stealth or shooters, but I finally gotta get the DMC remasters.
And I agree that RE4 needs to be counted for action or something, the real horror masterpieces are REmake and SH2.

Tadale

Just for fun:

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
6. Half-Life 2
7. Metal Gear Solid 2
10. Final Fantasy X
11. Silent Hill 2
12. Persona 4 - Played maybe the first ten hours. Plan to return to it, soon.
16. World of Warcraft
17. Deus Ex
19. F-Zero GX
21. Ninja Gaiden
22. Devil May Cry 3
23. Diablo II
24. Halo 2

I was playing a lot of games that generation - those were my high school years.

vladdamad

Loving these picks, glad to see Metroid Prime and Half Life 2 in there.

How playable is Baldur's Gate II today for someone with very little exposure to top down isometric RPGs? I tried playing Planescape: Torment a while back but I was playing it like an adventure game, dumping all my points into Wisdom/Intelligence and running away from everything. Probably won't be able to do that with BG2.

If it helps, out of the other Bioware RPGs I've played, I loved KOTOR (due to the number of different ways scenarios can play out depending on your choices) and thought Mass Effect was only OK.

Baldur's Gate II is perfectly playable right now, with a bit of patching/modification.

It aged perfectly well. The thing that will give you trouble is not the isometric RPG part but rather the AD&D rule set. Kotor is using a much simpler and less convoluted D20 system, also its an easier game in general. I think it might be a good idea to get some tips/suggestions as to how combat works in the game before diving into it.

Fantastic lists. I agree with pretty much everything on here. Except...
Did I just see Indigo Prophecy on a list of good games? That's something I disagree with quite expressively and insistently.

Chinbo37

Great list. I love how professional NeoGaf is.

I have only beat 4 games on the list (and only played 4 really), but I wasnt into that generation so much. I came back into gaming late last gen.

Luckily I have threads like this which I can refer to in absolute confidence when I want to play a classic.

The ones I beat are

Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
FZero GX
Final Fantasy X

balgajo

WW in a better position than TP. Disappointed with Zelda Gaf.
Also with FFX being on the list and the lack of FFXII.

ec0ec0

the game has always been a favourite of mine.. just can't believe it's so popular! i guess that's why i'm here lol

... you should take a look at this thread if you havent: NeoGAF Top 50 Nintendo games of all Time (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462147)

you will need to scroll down to find it but... it's still impresive. GAF (and i :p) love GX

17 best Nintendo game... OF ALL TIME!!
edit:

you can also look at the list that i linked. To GAF, twilight princess means nothing :p

Also with FFX being on the list and the lack of FFXII.

TP is cursed with its console split, I and everyone I knew personally that owned it had it on the Wii. Even glimpsing a GC version in the wilds of Blighty has been a very rare and expensive sighting.

Speaking of disappointed, I just revisited that top 50 Nintendo thread ec0ec0 posted, hey I remember this, it has Goldeneye and DKC1 over Perfect Dark and DKC2 by a substantial amount, what madness!

ec0ec0

Speaking of disappointed, I just revisited that top 50 Nintendo thread ec0ec0 posted, hey I remember this, it has Goldeneye and DKC1 over Perfect Dark and DKC2 by a substantial amount, what madness!

but look at the point difference between super mario bros 3 and super mario world... that automatically makes it an amazing list haha

It's a shame to see Doom 3 so forgotten.

Speaking as a huge Doom fan, 3 is best forgotten.

As for the list: good job, everyone! That's a quality representation of the best generation of video games.

Anihawk, thanks for all the effort. More generations, please. These are fun.

but look at the point difference between super mario bros 3 and super mario world... that automatically makes it an amazing list haha

That sure is something, SMB3 vs SMW really is the forever war of Mario platformers, each generation new children will experience both through Virtual console and probably remakes ensuring the battle continues until Nintendo whithers to dust

rjc571

Banned
Why aren't the Jet Set Radio games listed as platformers? Because that's exactly what they are.

PS - Jak 2 was robbed!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Wind Waker's high spot just reinforces my view that GAF is very, very, (very) presentation-focused. In terms of game mechanics, dungeons, bosses, variety... hell, just about everything related to playing the game, Twilight Princess has it beat.

But Wind Waker looks so unique and charming that it doesn't matter how it plays, or that it has obviously missing dungeons, or that the dungeons and bosses that are there are generally worse than any 3D Zelda game you can think of. It has a good story and a beautiful aesthetic and that's enough for a lot of people.

I don't know if the HD version is putting a new look on the original game, but as "empty" as you want to claim Twilight Princess' overworld is, at least you could traverse it quickly, go where you wanted quickly, and even just change directions by rotating the stick. The sailing in Wind Waker was an absolute chore. And if you wanted to change directions, you had to stop gameplay, pull out the baton, do the directions IN TIME (as opposed to as fast as you can press the buttons, like Ocarina), and then continue on. Oh, did you sail a little too far to pick up that triforce piece at the bottom of the ocean? Better pull out the baton, change the direction, sail back, put away the sail, try and get close, watch the animation of the crane, then the treasure chest, then read the text about the triforce piece, etc. etc. Then do that over and over and over again. And that's not even including the monotony of getting Tingle to translate maps for you.

For all the complaints about Twilight Princess' pacing, at least it's all at the beginning, and once you leave home it races along at a good clip. And it's never as bad as what the fetch quest does to the pacing.
While I agree a lot, I must also add that Twilight Princess has the added difficulty of being also on Wii and as a launch game no less. I think Twilight Princess is so much better than Wind Waker in every aspect sans presentation that it's not even a competition, however, I wouldn't have voted for it, if I didn't happen to be a reviewer and got the GameCube version too (I wouldn't have played it otherwise on GameCube).

AniHawk

Why aren't the Jet Set Radio games listed as platformers? Because that's exactly what they are.

i'm trying to think of what the point of the games are and those seemed to me to be, in practice, more about getting a high score. that's done by attacking duders on the streets, finding the right areas to spraypaint, and doing it in a timeline. madworld has a lot of the same sensibilities, so i guess i just likened it to that. it might also be considered a sports game.

there were a lot of games in the generation that were hard to just classify as one thing or another.

PS - Jak 2 was robbed!

it made it plenty far.

Pearson

Banned
Oh man - My time has been spent in the wrong place

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
6. Half-Life 2
7. Metal Gear Solid 2