• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Generation Awards

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I think this list is great, but what I dont get is how a Jak game could beat Super Mario Sunshine and Wario Land 4 for plattformer of the generation.

SkylineRKR

This is one of the rare occasions where I say 'hard to argue with'. RE4 and HL2 are 2 of the greatest games ever made. I put HL2 at 1, but I find RE4 to hold up much better and has more replay value... today I find it the better game. But back then, I was (even) more amazed by HL2.

Shove this one up Capcoms ass, see what talent they abandoned.

J&D, Sly, and R&C don't seem to get that platformer love for whatever reason (I have an idea why, but I'm not saying it).
It's obvious what you're implying, but I think the real answer is that the actual platorming isn't that great in most of those games. R&C is more of an action game, and the Jak games after 1 lost focus of what made the original so great. Haven't played Sly though so can't comment on that.

Glad Jak 1 came in first, I hated Sunshine.

Anth0ny

Gamecube
1. Metroid Prime
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
4. F-Zero GX
5. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
7. Resident Evil
8. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
9. Super Mario Sunshine
10. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
PlayStation 2
1. Metal Gear Solid 3
2. Shadow of the Colossus
3. Final Fantasy X
4. Persona 4
5. Devil May Cry 3
6. Ico
7. Final Fantasy XII
8. God of War 2
9. Devil May Cry
10. Persona 3

Who wins, GAF?

I'd give the nod to Gamecube looking at these top 10s, personally.

PS2 was the last hurrah for console JRPGs from the looks of that top 10. Here's hoping current gen can change that...

Toxi

Banned
HL2 deserves 2nd if not top spot.
Nah.

Half-Life 2 is a game with some really good parts (Ravenholm is one of my favorite levels ever), but also some really awful parts (Like the glorified cutscenes where they lock you in a room, and all of Highway 17). Its impressive physics have been copied again and again, so it's no longer novel in that area.

legacyzero

Banned
Pretty solid list.

The only thing that REALLY bothers me is RE4 above Silent Hill 2 (or 3) in the horror category. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

ec0ec0

To be fair, it seems every playformer from that gen is flawed in some way..

Nintendo EAD tokyo developed a 2d platformer named donkey kong jungle beat, sorry. It's true that gaf decided to forget about it, thought.

All games have flaws, but i don't think that jungle beat can be described as " a flawed game"?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Who wins, GAF?

PS2 was the last hurrah for console JRPGs from the looks of that top 10. Here's hoping current gen can change that...

PS2 has more than 10 games. It's not even close. PS2 has the best library for any console ever.

ec0ec0

PS2 has more than 10 games. It's not even close. PS2 has the best library for any console ever.

we all know that the ps2 has more good games than the gamecube. But what Anth0ny was doing there was comparing great games (the supposedly 10 "best" games of both consoles). If we only talk about the best games, some would argue that the gamecube can compete. If we talk about what each console offered as a whole, the gamecube can't compete.

Tales of Symphonia got snubbeeddddddd

Aside from that a really great list. I think the lack of PC-centric titles is also simply because the noughties were something of a lull for PC gaming; console gaming took over strongly that decade, it's only been on the rebound the last five years. At least that's how I experienced them. If 99 was included, Unreal Tournament would surely have been in the top 5.

I think voter age is partially a factor. Barrier of entry for PC was higher, cost and difficulty, at the time. If I had to guess, members in their early twenties and younger in 2015 grew up with the Gamecube.

Nintendo EAD tokyo developed a 2d platformer named donkey kong jungle beat, sorry. It's true that gaf decided to forget about it, thought.

All games have flaws, but i don't think that jungle beat can be described as " a flawed game"?

I blame the bongos. Jungle Beat is not as fun without them.

conman

I somehow missed the voting thread for this, but with results like this, I don't think I would have changed much (other than FFX, which I am not a fan of).

Toxi

Banned
Jungle Beat's overrated by some on GAF. It's a great game, but it's very repetitive and reuses the same bosses again and again.

I would consider it Sunshine tier; fun but not amazing.

ShutEye

Never got around to voting. Content that GAF mostly aligned with my thinking.
I was definitely surprised Katamari didn't rate higher. One of the most innovative PS2 games IMO.

And RE4 + Metroid Prime + the best Metal Gear game is one hell of a top 3.

ec0ec0

I know that's certainly why I never played it. I remember wanting to play it but not wanting to have to pay for the bongos.

The fact that you needed the bongos dramatically reduced how many people got to play the game, obviously. Same for the gamecube games that used the gba as a controller. If people need more than the console to play the game, many people are not going to play it.

edit:
Jungle Beat's overrated by some on GAF. It's a great game, but it's very repetitive and reuses the same bosses again and again.

and that's why it's better than sunshine :p

(and sorry for getting a little off topic, this is not a jungle beat thread after all haha)

The fact that you needed the bongos dramatically reduced how many people got to play the game, obviously. Same for the gamecube games that used the gba as a controller. If people new more than the console to play the game, many people are not going to play it.
That's why it's ridiculous to say "gaf decided to forget about it." I would assume that many did not forget about it. They just never played it because of that peripheral.

Wind Waker's high spot just reinforces my view that GAF is very, very, (very) presentation-focused. In terms of game mechanics, dungeons, bosses, variety... hell, just about everything related to playing the game, Twilight Princess has it beat.

But Wind Waker looks so unique and charming that it doesn't matter how it plays, or that it has obviously missing dungeons, or that the dungeons and bosses that are there are generally worse than any 3D Zelda game you can think of. It has a good story and a beautiful aesthetic and that's enough for a lot of people.

I don't know if the HD version is putting a new look on the original game, but as "empty" as you want to claim Twilight Princess' overworld is, at least you could traverse it quickly, go where you wanted quickly, and even just change directions by rotating the stick. The sailing in Wind Waker was an absolute chore. And if you wanted to change directions, you had to stop gameplay, pull out the baton, do the directions IN TIME (as opposed to as fast as you can press the buttons, like Ocarina), and then continue on. Oh, did you sail a little too far to pick up that triforce piece at the bottom of the ocean? Better pull out the baton, change the direction, sail back, put away the sail, try and get close, watch the animation of the crane, then the treasure chest, then read the text about the triforce piece, etc. etc. Then do that over and over and over again. And that's not even including the monotony of getting Tingle to translate maps for you.

For all the complaints about Twilight Princess' pacing, at least it's all at the beginning, and once you leave home it races along at a good clip. And it's never as bad as what the fetch quest does to the pacing.

I think this list is great, but what I dont get is how a Jak game could beat Super Mario Sunshine and Wario Land 4 for plattformer of the generation.

It's simple. Jak & Daxter is better than them.

Hell, if Sunshine wasn't a Mario game I think it'd be in 5th place or so.

Jamix012

Splinter Cells were also on gamecube, or are they not mentioned in the OP because no one voted for the GC verisions?

AniHawk

Wind Waker's high spot just reinforces my view that GAF is very, very, (very) presentation-focused. In terms of game mechanics, dungeons, bosses, variety... hell, just about everything related to playing the game, Twilight Princess has it beat.

But Wind Waker looks so unique and charming that it doesn't matter how it plays, or that it has obviously missing dungeons, or that the dungeons and bosses that are there are generally worse than any 3D Zelda game you can think of. It has a good story and a beautiful aesthetic and that's enough for a lot of people.

I don't know if the HD version is putting a new look on the original game, but as "empty" as you want to claim Twilight Princess' overworld is, at least you could traverse it quickly, go where you wanted quickly, and even just change directions by rotating the stick. The sailing in Wind Waker was an absolute chore. And if you wanted to change directions, you had to stop gameplay, pull out the baton, do the directions IN TIME (as opposed to as fast as you can press the buttons, like Ocarina), and then continue on. Oh, did you sail a little too far to pick up that triforce piece at the bottom of the ocean? Better pull out the baton, change the direction, sail back, put away the sail, try and get close, watch the animation of the crane, then the treasure chest, then read the text about the triforce piece, etc. etc. Then do that over and over and over again. And that's not even including the monotony of getting Tingle to translate maps for you.

For all the complaints about Twilight Princess' pacing, at least it's all at the beginning, and once you leave home it races along at a good clip. And it's never as bad as what the fetch quest does to the pacing.

we'll have to see how it performs in the last gen vote at some point in the future, but i totally agree about the weird love for tww versus twilight princess. i can understand the arguments about the pacing in twilight princess, but it was all just one giant tutorial until you got to the first dungeon, and even though there were still tear-hunting quests, the game was pretty much done teaching you things by then. tww's tutorial mode lasts through the forsaken fortress and until you reach dragon roost island. there's so much important story stuff happening in the meantime that it really feels like a waste. at least with tp's early things, it's about the life of a farm boy.

Eolz

Who wins, GAF?

I feel that the GC had better exclusives, and the PS2 more "great games" overall.
Uncanny WiiU/PS4 comparison here.

Edit just in case of some reactions: both are great.

ASIS

we'll have to see how it performs in the last gen vote at some point in the future, but i totally agree about the weird love for tww versus twilight princess. i can understand the arguments about the pacing in twilight princess, but it was all just one giant tutorial until you got to the first dungeon, and even though there were still tear-hunting quests, the game was pretty much done teaching you things by then. tww's tutorial mode lasts through the forsaken fortress and until you reach dragon roost island. there's so much important story stuff happening in the meantime that it really feels like a waste. at least with tp's early things, it's about the life of a farm boy.

The pacing in TP's is sluggish even in the later half of the game. A lot of things built up in the first half is just dropped all too suddenly, and although the dungeons themselves are great, the world of TP left something to be desired.

TWW had the wonder of sailing an actual sea, the dream-like feeling when playing the game. That's why it's remembered so fondly compared to TP.

I think SS will follow WW's reception, but we'll see about that.

My List -> GAF List

01 -> 001 | Resident Evil 4
02 -> 011 | Silent Hill 2
03 -> 002 | Metroid Prime
04 -> 039 | Civilization IV
05 -> 019 | F-Zero GX
06 -> 004 | Shadow of the Colossus
07 -> 076 | Beyond Good & Evil
08 -> 084 | F.E.A.R.
09 -> 171 | Grandia 2 (wtf GAF)
10 -> 054 | Katamari Damacy

I'm surprised by how low Grandia 2 is, considering the heavy JRPG nature of the generation. It's approximately one BILLION times better than FFX, for instance. Maybe its genesis as a non-Playstation franchise doomed it for PS2 owners.

ASIS

My List -> GAF List

01 -> 001 | Resident Evil 4
02 -> 011 | Silent Hill 2
03 -> 002 | Metroid Prime
04 -> 039 | Civilization IV
05 -> 019 | F-Zero GX
06 -> 004 | Shadow of the Colossus
07 -> 076 | Beyond Good & Evil
08 -> 084 | F.E.A.R.
09 -> 171 | Grandia 2 (wtf GAF)
10 -> 054 | Katamari Damacy

I'm surprised by how low Grandia 2 is, considering the heavy JRPG nature of the generation. It's approximately one BILLION times better than FFX, for instance. Maybe its genesis as a non-Playstation franchise doomed it for PS2 owners.

In what way? FFX had better characters
HA HA HA HA HA
, better combat, better side quests, better level up system, better music and overall presentation, etc. I could go on and on.

Don't get me wrong I really like Grandia 2. But there's no comparison between the two.

we all know that the ps2 has more good games than the gamecube. But what Anth0ny was doing there was comparing great games (the supposedly 10 "best" games of both consoles). If we only talk about the best games, some would argue that the gamecube can compete. If we talk about what each console offered as a whole, the gamecube can't compete.

The PS2 has more great games too.

Yeah, I mean, I get the issues with Twilight Princess' opening. It's slow, a bit meandering. But I didn't have as much of a problem with it as most -- for instance, unlike many, I loved Red Dead Redemption's opening, where they tried to immerse you in a lifestyle by giving you some of the mundane to do -- herding cattle, for instance. I think it helps develop the world and the character and I can appreciate that. In contrast, I always wondered what people like Link actually did on their tiny island in Wind Waker.

Still, the pacing of both are pretty poor compared to the gold standard of Ocarina of Time. The first hour of that game still hasn't been matched, in my opinion.

The pacing in TP's is sluggish even in the later half of the game. A lot of things built up in the first half is just dropped all too suddenly, and although the dungeons themselves are great, the world of TP left something to be desired.

TWW had the wonder of sailing an actual sea, the dream-like feeling when playing the game. That's why it's remembered so fondly compared to TP.

I think SS will follow WW's reception, but we'll see about that.

Nothing in TP comes anywhere near as "sluggish" as Wind Waker's Tingle-Triforce fetch quest. Nothing in the entire Zelda series does. It's the biggest blemish on a remarkable franchise.

Meanwhile, the dream-like feeling you're experiencing is from falling asleep waiting for the boat to get where you want to go.

"Waggle", despite there not being any waggle, will doom Skyward Sword's reception around here. Especially if motion controls aren't carried forward in the series. It will stick out in a bad way for that reason, despite certainly being better than Wind Waker as well, and actually a pretty solid game overall.

In what way? FFX had better characters
HA HA HA HA HA
, better combat, better side quests, better level up system, better music and overall presentation, etc. I could go on and on.

Don't get me wrong I really like Grandia 2. But there's no comparison between the two.

In no way does FFX have better combat than Grandia 2. No way, no how. I don't think the characters in Grandia 2 are amazing, but I didn't hate them like I did FFX's. Anyway, my love for Grandia's combat systems is what puts it over the top for me. I usually get tired of JRPG combat systems but I never got tired of Grandia's.

Generally though I really hated FFX. I hated the characters, I hated the world, I hated Blitz Ball, etc.

Ganondorfo

I would like to know how the generation of Snes would turn out, because there a Nintendo game could win easily for the best and there is no chance there like this generation where Capcom created something better than the rest (Resident Evil 4).

Floridian

Who wins, GAF?

Based off that list, Gamecube. I'm not a big jrpg fan

Grexeno

The reason Twilight Princess is below Wind Waker is quite simple: it's just not a Gamecube game for the vast majority of people.

Dahbomb

Who wins, GAF?

The stats don't lie:

Best Platform (including multiplatform)
1. PlayStation 2 - 4732
2. Gamecube - 2664

Best Platform (exclusives only)
1. PlayStation 2 - 2511
2. Gamecube - 1682

Plus the GCN has Mario Sunshine, a legitimately mediocre Mario game in its top 10. What game does the PS2 have on that same spot? DMC1 the fucking grand daddy of a sub genre.

Top Bottom