• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Generation Awards

Well predicting that top 2 was certainly easy!

Good picks everyone, and thanks Anihawk.

Can't stop grinning about how many people put Thousand Year Door on their list.

ec0ec0

Weep with me for the tragic tenth place fate of the most mechanically unique and interesting platformer of the generation.
Though I'm happy with Precursor Legacy beating Sunshine to the punch.

Shunshine being 2 and jungle beat being 10 is just... no.

If only all the people that played sunshine had played jungle beat ;_;

well that fuckin sucks. should make one once the big 3 have all released their next gen system. this thread feels 7 years too late
I think it's really interesting because there is a sense of perspective that is often lacking when you are too close to something.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Fighting
1. Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)
2. Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)
3. Virtua Fighter 4 (Arcade, PlayStation 2)
4. Soul Calibur 2 (PlayStation 2, Gamecube, Xbox)
5. Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Xbox)
6. Tekken 5 (Arcade, PlayStation 2)
7. Street Fighter III: Third Strike (Dreamcast)
8. Guilty Gear XX (Arcade, PS2)
9. Capcom vs. SNK 2 (Arcade, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Gamecube, Xbox)
10. Tekken Tag Tournament (PlayStation 2)

This does seem a bit "wrong" though. With all the renown its gotten over the years I really thought 3rd Strike would win the fighting category, or be in the top 3 at least. Also, shouldn't this be SFIII (Dreamcast, Arcade) (with the Arcade version being the best one)?
it is in the very least an objectively worse packaged game than many games on the list with regard to content - particularly vf4e, melee and sc2. beyond that, it's one of the least balanced games on the list - this isn't an issue for everyone. it was a dud at launch and despite its recent resurgence no, I personally would not put it in top 3. id put it above marvel 2 and soul calibur 1 though.

jett

D-Member
I think it's really interesting because there is a sense of perspective that is often lacking when you are too close to something.

Agreed, it's definitely for the better...although I doubt the list would be much different if the voting had been done close to the end of that generation. These are all the usual suspects. Hell, some you'd expect to not show up 14~ years after the fact, like Final Fantasy X. I guess, deep down, someone people really enjoy their Final Corridor Fantasies.

well that fuckin sucks. should make one once the big 3 have all released their next gen system. this thread feels 7 years too late
No, these things need time not only for reflection but for people to play the games. While this particular poll could have happened a few years ago, the 7th gen poll doesn't need to happen any time soon. Not all of us play these games the day they come out. This is also why I appreciate the GAF GOTY vote takes place in late January. Even that feel rushed to me. I have kids, a time-consuming job, volunteer duties, blah blah blah.

Unreal Tournament 2004 is PC-exclusive, not multiplatform; Xbox got Unreal Championship 2 instead, which has 3rd-person and melee and different modes.
That should put UT2004 on the top 10 PC games list.

Great work putting all this together, AniHawk!

Regiruler

Is echos really that much of a drop down from the original or was it simply the originality points in the first's favor? I'm playing through the first one now.

inky

Can't argue with the picks, although the order leaves something to be desired. Pretty decent list.

Only thing I could have a problem with is FFX ahead of FFXII. You people are wrong about that :p

Great work.

Neifirst

Is echos really that much of a drop down from the original or was it simply the originality points in the first's favor? I'm playing through the first one now.

A lot of people didn't cotton to the Dark Aether world that caused injury when you ventured out of safe zones in the first part of the game and its black-and-purple aesthetics. I personally found it to be on par with the original, and loved the addition of the screw attack (although it came a bit late).

EDIT: Forgot to comment on the list. RE4 is my most replayed game next to the original Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros., and is a well-deserved #1 game of the generation. I still remember playing that Gamecube demo of the village area at an EBGames and just being gobsmacked by how atmospheric the whole experience was.

Astral Dog

Rightfully deserved, RE4 is a masterpiece of game design and innovation, incredible what they could do on a humble Gamecube in 2004, the game has surpassed many others that came after it, im just sad the team that made that game was fired like trash.

Metroid Prime deserves that spot too, 60fps, action adventure goodness, wrapped on a FPS.

Im surprised DMC 3 isn't higher.

AniHawk, thanks so much for your hard work. And thanks to all the GAFers that voted. Great list overall.

To the PC crowd, just accept the results, and move on.

I'm doing the same. During that generation, I absolutely hated the GameCube as a console; as a matter of fact, I still do. But I have to recognize the undeniable strength of its software lineup. And I'm actually in the process of playing a lot of those games (the ones available on non-GCN consoles). And, as a player of "traditional" fighting games, I've come to terms with Melee ranking so high. During that gen, I actively despised Melee, but as I've aged I realized it's an amazing video game... just not for me.

So everyone, just rejoice that awesome games are being celebrated in this poll!

The top three is probably as they should be, though any order you put them in would be fine. Looking over that list is just awesome. What an incredible, incredible generation. Probably the best in terms of overall quality that we've seen to this point.

Bass260

Aside from some low Dreamcast games the list is damn solid. It's nice to see how much the recognition the GameCube gets these days. GCN and PS2 both have 3 games in the top 5 - two exclusives each and RE4.

Interesting to see how far some games fallen; GTA, GoW, GBA games in general and Halo.

Given that we seem to all agree that we could have theoretically done this list earlier, when do we think we'll get to the next generation? 2018?

I am satisfied with the top 2, and happy F-Zero GX got so high. Hate the MGS series with a passion so I don't agree with either of those games being on the list. But otherwise it's a decent list.

I think it's almost as great personally, it's like Prime pulling no punches with stronger visual design and complexity.
The Dark World aspect is an understandable hurdle for some, either you gel with the oppressive health draining atmosphere and what it represents or you wonder why the game is making you stand around in bubbles twiddling your thumbs (or thumb in Samus' case).
It's key collecting structure is unfortunately a bit formulaic so the game misses out on that flowing world exploration vibe that the original has going on and instead feels a touch segmented which is where I mainly find it to fall short of the original.

Left off my main list for varieties sake, for Metroid there could only be one.

Azure J

FUCK

I just realized all my votes never got in because I left the tab up and didn't hit enter when I was done. ;_________;

That said, there's a ton of right on that list. Good to see the ever eternal Melee up there and GAF starting to show more love for Metroid Prime 2 and Windwaker as someone who lived through the day and date criticisms of both as "lamer Halo 2/CELda".

59737230.jpg

Yeah, I seriously don't know how I haven't played it yet when it gets such raving reviews and I had a Gamecube.

Higher highs, lower lows. It's one of those "harder to understand/appreciate" kind of games. The quality is absolutely there though.

spekkeh

Banned
Tales of Symphonia got snubbeeddddddd

Aside from that a really great list. I think the lack of PC-centric titles is also simply because the noughties were something of a lull for PC gaming; console gaming took over strongly that decade, it's only been on the rebound the last five years. At least that's how I experienced them. If 99 was included, Unreal Tournament would surely have been in the top 5.

Axass

That's a great list, aside from the fact that BGII and RE4 should swap places.

One is the most ambitious Western RPG ever created, one is a good, albeit astoundingly overrated, action horror game.

Not a fan of RPGs? Prime still wipes the floor with RE4. I can't fathom how RE4 has such an incredible following, I played both in the last three years: Prime's still the unachievable height of level design for action-adventure games in general and for metroidvania games in particular, RE4 is good but there's nothing unique or mindblowing to it nowadays.

Also Halo 2 and MGS2 IMO are much inferior to lots of games outside of the top 25. Both are kinda disappointing coming from their respective starting games in the series.

Tales of Symphonia got snubbeeddddddd

Aside from that a really great list. I think the lack of PC-centric titles is also simply because the noughties were something of a lull for PC gaming; console gaming took over strongly that decade, it's only been on the rebound the last five years. At least that's how I experienced them. If 99 was included, Unreal Tournament would surely have been in the top 5.
I completely forgot that Symphonia was from this era. I wonder if more people played the PS3 collection and forgot about it as well.

Top Bottom