• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Generation Awards

Megatron

Action
1. Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)
2. Devil May Cry 3 (PlayStation 2)
3. God of War 2 (PlayStation 2)
4. Devil May Cry (PlayStation 2)

Well I guess that settles that.

Some interesting results. Not a good gen for puzzle games. The 'puzzle list' is made up almost entirely of games that aren't puzzle games. Wario Ware, Super Monkey Ball, Katamari occupy 6 positions on that list and none of those are puzzle games.

And wow at the best game boy advance game being a title that didn't even get an (official) English release and wasn't released outside of Japan (to my knowledge)

Conduit

Banned
Well it is horror game is it not? It also was voted to be the best game of the generation so of course it also tops horror list. Sure it wasn't best at horror but it is still the best game out of those games IMO.

It's not a survival horror game ( like Resident Evil ( Remake ) ) or pure horror games ( like Silent Hill or Fatal Frame ) For me it's a action game ( third person shooter ) with some small horror elements ( like RE5 ).

redcrayon

Yeah, looking at the overall huge amount of games that came out and singling down to games of the overall gen, WW has sooooo many flaws it's actually crazy to me it made it so high. Some of it is up for debate, but stuff like the giant triforce fetch quest is universally panned and is enough to make a lot of people not even finish the game.

Gaf pls.
I wouldn't say 'universally', it's more like 'often'. I was ok with the triforce quest, I loved everything about the ocean, the maps and hunting for treasure. Made me feel more like an explorer than any other Zelda game since the first one. I find it crazy that people can play through an epic 40 hour game then give up just before the end, missing one of the best Link/Ganon/Zelda fights in the series, because of one section that doesn't even take very long. Maybe it's quicker if you've found all the maps and explored everywhere before you get to that point?

Wind Waker is up there with Skies of Arcadia and Fire Emblem PoR as one of my three favourite GC games, and I didn't even get around to voting.

I played almost all of them! And finished the majority. Great list!

Only one I don't think live up to the hype was Paper Mario:TTYD. (played and beated the game around 2011, no nostalgia goggles) COME AT ME TTYD FANBOY/GIRLS!!!

Edit: Also, not a GTA fan. (did not finish any)

myco666

It's not a survival horror game ( like Resident Evil ( Remake ) or pure horror games ( like Silent Hill or Fatal Frame ) For me it's a action game ( third person shooter ). RE4 didn't gave me any horror elements, just pure shooting ( like RE5 ).

IMO it is action horror game and therefore a horror game. I agree that it isn't the same type of horror game as others on the list but it is still horror game. Also it isn't on top of that list because people voted it to be the best horror game. It is on top of that list because people voted it to be the best game of the generation and genre awards are just filters for the overall results.

Decent list. Four of my favorites in the top 10. :)

Glad Final Fantasy X could secure the 10th place (and ranked way higher than FF12 :p). Also didn't think SotC would make it that high, nice.

Conduit

Banned
IMO it is action horror game and therefore a horror game. I agree that it isn't the same type of horror game as others on the list but it is still horror game. Also it isn't on top of that list because people voted it to be the best horror game. It is on top of that list because people voted it to be the best game of the generation and genre awards are just filters for the overall results.

Overall, it can't be. I really don't see it as a horror game. The Order has some horror elements in some chapters. And that makes him a horror game? NO!

Anyway, i have edited earlier post. So, if you want to change it.

Platforming
1. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PlayStation 2)
2. Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube)
3. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PlayStation 2)
4. Psychonauts (PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox)
5. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PlayStation 2)
6. Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast, Gamecube)
7. Jak II (PlayStation 2)
8. Sly 2: Band of Thieves (PlayStation 2)
9. Jak 3 (PlayStation 2)
10. Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (Gamecube)

This is surprising.

Wiktor

Last last generation sucked for platformers, at least generally speaking. Mario Sunshine is easily one of the worst of any Mario game, while still being one of the best platformers of that generation. They were living in the hangover of the clunky 3D collect-a-thon phase. But thankfully last generation was one of the best ever for both 3D and 2D platformers.

Well..that gen had one of the best 2d platformers of all time - Cave Story. It was just a PC only freeware release, so no wonder it didn't get many votes here

myco666

Overall, it can't be. I really don't see it as a horror game. The Order has some horror elements in some chapters. And that makes him a horror game? NO!

Anyway, i have edit post before you wrote another one. So, if you wan't to change it.

Well The Order has some horror elements but I don't think it is overall horror game. RE4 however has horror elements all over it and only area where it somewhat stops being horror is the island section but even there it introduces most horrifying enemy in the entire game.

Conduit

Banned
Well The Order has some horror elements but I don't think it is overall horror game. RE4 however has horror elements all over it and only area where it somewhat stops being horror is the island section but even there it introduces most horrifying enemy in the entire game.

If game has horror elements, game should provide discomfort, anxiety, fear.... RE4 doesn't provide any of these elements. So, it's not a horror game. Horrifying enemy doesn't make game a horror game even if they look creepy.

Anyway, i have edited earlier post also.

Mr. Sam

Regardless of how pedantic you want to be, Resident Evil 4 is a horror game. Saying it isn't is like saying The Evil Dead and Rosemary's Baby can't both be horror films. It doesn't control like its predecessors, it's a bit of a tonal shift but it's still decidely horror.

On another note, I'm a little bit surprised that the original Ratchet and Clank didn't get in the top ten platformers.

I'm a little disappointed at the relatively low number of votes cast. Much lower than I expected.

I never even saw the voting thread.

Eolz

That's an excellent top, despite some disappointments (HL2 being this low, some games this high...).
Thanks to all that took the time to vote and to Anihawk for all his work!

myco666

If game has horror elements, game should provide discomfort, anxiety, fear.... RE4 doesn't provide any of these elements. So, it's not a horror game. Horrifying enemy doesn't make game a horror game even if they look creepy.

Well I felt discomfort, anxiety and fear while playing RE4. The fact that you don't find a game scary doesn't make it not horror. Some people find Silent Hill games just boring and not scary at all so by your logic Silent Hill games are not horror games.

Kyonashi

Still disagree with MGS3 over MGS2, but what are ya gonna do.

Hopefully I can pick up a Wii U this year and finally play the Metroid Prime trilogy.

d00d3n

111. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - 14, 8 Honorable Mentions
145. Hitman: Blood Money - 9, 5 Honorable Mentions
254. Far Cry - 3, 2 Honorable Mentions
These games deserved much better ... Riddick not being on the xbox list is just wrong.

57. Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines - 34, 6 Honorable Mentions
This game got an OK score, but I feel bad now that I didn't vote for it (avatar and all).

Other than that, a good list. The right game won.

boinx

I dunno man, regenerators and chainsaw dudes make my balls sweat. Dose 1 hit kills mane.

Conduit

Banned
Well I felt discomfort, anxiety and fear while playing RE4. The fact that you don't find a game scary doesn't make it not horror. Some people find Silent Hill games just boring and not scary at all so by your logic Silent Hill games are not horror games.

Well, by your logic GeOW is a horror game because it has some creepy looking enemies.

On the whole pretty decent lists, bar one exception
Stealth
1. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PlayStation 2)
2. Metal Gear Solid 2 (PlayStation 2, Xbox)
3. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (PC< PlayStation 2, Xbox)
4. Thief II: The Metal Age (PC)

The best stealth game ever can't even get top 3!

Of course, I guess the results would have been different if people were specifically voting for best Stealth game as opposed to game of the generation...

Wiktor

On the whole pretty decent lists, bar one exception

The best stealth game ever can't even get top 3!

Of course, I guess the results would have been different if people were specifically voting for best Stealth game as opposed to game of the generation...

Yeah. Stealth section is funny also because NOLF1 is over NOLF2, which is objectively wrong as a stealth game. But NOLF1 was on PS2, plus some people prefer it's writing. But nobody would vote for it as better stealth game than NOLF2

Pretty great list overall. Makes me happy to see Neogaf reconize the true order of things and put MGS3 as the best Metal Gear and Vice City as the best GTA.

Vice City should just have been in the top 10, then the list would have been perfect.

I should play Resi 4 and MGS3.

I also didn't vote, being mostly a GC guy in gen 6 being young. Felt as if I would bias the outcome.

myco666

Well, by your logic GeOW is a horror game because it has some creepy looking enemies.

I never said that game is horror game if it has creepy looking enemies. RE4 still has mostly same horror elements as Remake. Only difference between these games is that other emphasises on puzzles and other on the combat. I just don't understand how you can say that RE4 isn't horror.

SpokkX

Missed voting but i must say this list is pretty much spot on

It really does highlight the best games of the ps2 generation

Please Nintendo make a new Metroid Prime :(

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Couldn't find time to vote :( Top 3 is fine, then things get a bit too weird in placement from then on.

I'm not okay with FFX making Top 10 cut or Twilight Princess the Top 25 while beloved Shenmue or anything Dreamcast is out. Ninja Gaiden and DMC3 are like... wayyyy too far down. A sign of how much damage has been done to those franchises?

These games deserved much better ... Riddick not being on the xbox list is just wrong.

This game got an OK score, but I feel bad now that I didn't vote for it (avatar and all).

Other than that, a good list. The right game won.
Riddick was incredible, close to my top 10 for the gen. Sad to say though it's a game I totally forgot existed.

McNum

Oh, hey, I got quoted on Metal Gear Solid 2. Nice. I still hold MGS2 over 3, but that's a discussion for elsewhere.

I am very amused to see Jak and Daxter chart so high, and the sequels muck about in the hundreds. That series was so much better before they added guns to it. A jump, spin attack, and some magic powers is all you ever really need. Now Naughty Dog just make third person shooters, like everyone else. Good ones, mind you, but... eh. They could have been so much more.

It's a really solid list, though, thanks for putting this together, it was fun to participate in.

CassSept

One interesting thing is God of War 2's placement. If the list was made closer to the end of the generation, like 2007-2009 it would have definitely been higher, perhaps even in the Top 10. At the time the praise for GoW 2 was immense. Yet, with passage of time it barely managed to crack Top 30 and the original God of War didn't even make it into Top 50.

Seems there was a very low number of participants in the vote. Maybe the necessity for a description limited the sample size? I know I didn't have time to write up my list with justifications every time I came across the thread

d00d3n

Riddick was incredible, close to my top 10 for the gen. Sad to say though it's a game I totally forgot existed.

The low score is possible to understand, I guess. The game laid out a bold new vision of what a first person action game could be, but no one followed suit. The game didn't sell very well. Most fans are probably hardcore PC users, so that's another reason why the game wouldn't do well on a gaf list right there.

Sign

Guys... I didn't vote but it is okay because I don't live in a battleground state.

I agree with Resident Evil 4's top spot. The game not only saved the franchise it was apart of but the genre (tps) it was in, as well. Without Resident Evil 4, Gears of War would have not been half the game it was, and as a result the genre would have practically disappeared when Call of Duty 4 came out, imo.

With that being said, I don't feel like the list needed two Metal Gears. I would have liked to see Metal Gear Solid 2 above 3. MGS 2 is a post-modern, brilliantly crafted, has-real-shit-to-say type of video game and those are rare. It should be higher, imo.

Also, I feel like World of Warcraft needed to be #2. Companies have thrown away hundreds of millions of dollars trying to recreate its success and failed. Companies have literally gone out of business trying to do what this game did 10 fucking years ago. Shit is insane.

Overall, really great work though, Anihawk!

Were you perhaps a writer for Game Informer?

I assume they/he/she gave TTYD a low grade, but did they finished the game in 2011? :p
To clarify I don't think TTYD is a bad game. It is (to me) a game that got praised more than what it deserve, in GAF at least.

Top Bottom