• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Generation Awards

Great job with this Anihawk.

Now that's a top 5 I can get behind, some would say its typical and safe but I'd say that's with good reason.
Why it was all going swimmingly until I reached the platformer list and saw Jungle Beat below Jak 2, all that goodwill completely wiped out in an instant.

Wow my quote got pulled for Diablo II! I feel so proud.

Thanks for putting this together Ani. This is probably my favorite generation, and there are tons on this list I haven't played yet.

GamerJM

Banned
One interesting thing is God of War 2's placement. If the list was made closer to the end of the generation, like 2007-2009 it would have definitely been higher, perhaps even in the Top 10. At the time the praise for GoW 2 was immense. Yet, with passage of time it barely managed to crack Top 30 and the original God of War didn't even make it into Top 50.

Really? I was around gaming communities around that time and I don't remember the praise for GoW2 being that heavy, a lot of people seemed to be focused on Wii/360 around that time. I remember GoW1 getting a lot more press and coverage. Persona 4 also ranked really high despite having someone niche appeal AND being released that late into the gen so I doubt that affected it much. I feel like appreciation for God of War has just kind of dwindled over the years, it's the sort of game that makes more of an impact during the generation with its presentation than anything.

Finalow

not enough love for SMT 3 or Okami, uh.

I'm more or less ok with the list, can't say I'm too happy with the position of some wrpgs and jrpgs though.

The Greatest Generation, and under such stiff competition, it's no surprise masterpieces ended up as low as they did. Thanks for this hard work, Anihawk!

1. -> #38

2. -> #56

3. -> #59

4. -> #16

5. -> #193

6. -> #136

7. -> #12

8. -> #383

9. -> #68

10. -> #26

See? I was one of a scant few who voted for a good bit of this.

Shadows of Amn comes fifth while FFX comes first? Oh, Neogaf... What have you done!

Final Fantasy at that time hadn't stumbled yet as a franchise, that's what.

Yeah, looking at the overall huge amount of games that came out and singling down to games of the overall gen, WW has sooooo many flaws it's actually crazy to me it made it so high. Some of it is up for debate, but stuff like the giant triforce fetch quest is universally panned and is enough to make a lot of people not even finish the game.

Gaf pls.

And terrible end boss.

This is surprising.

J&D, Sly, and R&C don't seem to get that platformer love for whatever reason (I have an idea why, but I'm not saying it).

Guys... I didn't vote but it is okay because I don't live in a battleground state.

I agree with Resident Evil 4's top spot. The game not only saved the franchise it was apart of but the genre (tps) it was in, as well. Without Resident Evil 4, Gears of War would have not been half the game it was, and as a result the genre would have practically disappeared when Call of Duty 4 came out, imo.

With that being said, I don't feel like the list needed two Metal Gears. I would have liked to see Metal Gear Solid 2 above 3. MGS 2 is a post-modern, brilliantly crafted, has-real-shit-to-say type of video game and those are rare. It should be higher, imo.

Also, I feel like World of Warcraft needed to be #2. Companies have thrown away hundreds of millions of dollars trying to recreate its success and failed. Companies have literally gone out of business trying to do what this game did 10 fucking years ago. Shit is insane.

Overall, really great work though, Anihawk!

WoW and its would-be-killers was a sneak peek into a new era of gaming, one of neurosis, Dogma, and waste. Whereas RE4 and a number of other titles inspired games that took those breakthrus and ran for various similar-but-different directions, WoW was simply aped; games were simply changed to be as similar on the surface to WoW as possible and doomed to failure. A cargo cult school of game design, if you will; a phenomenon that destroys creativity and narrows choice, not the opposite.

ec0ec0

Platforming
1. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PlayStation 2)
2. Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube)
3. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PlayStation 2)
4. Psychonauts (PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox)
5. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PlayStation 2)
6. Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast, Gamecube)
7. Jak II (PlayStation 2)
8. Sly 2: Band of Thieves (PlayStation 2)
9. Jak 3 (PlayStation 2)
10. Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (Gamecube)
the platforming games list is objectively awfull

edit: and yeah, i know, the list "is not objeclively anything". But you get the point :p

Since the very beginning it seemed that RE4 would win. During the last days though I saw a lot of votes for both MGS2 and MGS3.

I'm glad RE4 won. Capcom was awesome back then.

The only game I don't own that are in the top 10 is Final Fantasy X!!!, still don't want to play it though.

Freeman

Banned
I can't express how much I disagree with RE4 presence on the list, not to mention the fact that it is #1. Meanwhile REmake doesn't even show up in the top 25? You are killing me here.

PC just got the short end of the stick while Nintendo games are placed way above where they should. At least BGII managed to beat Paper Mario.

Weep with me for the tragic tenth place fate of the most mechanically unique and interesting platformer of the generation.
Though I'm happy with Precursor Legacy beating Sunshine to the punch.

19789999.jpg

The list is not objectively anything. It simply is.

Now that's an amazing list! The only real change I would make is have FFX and P4 swap places, but other than that it's practically perfect!

TM94

Because KOTOR is a better game. KOTOR 2 is weak in anything but combat

KOTOR II has writing far beyond KOTOR

It has the best character (Kreia), far superior cast of villains, deep reflections on morality.

Overall it's just a way darker and more mature story.

The ending is weak but to say that the combat is the only good thing is completely baffling.

Good job on the list OP, makes for interesting reading.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
What. The writing in KOTOR II takes an enormous dump over Bioware's efforts. It's so clearly better that it's hilarious.

KOTOR II has writing far beyond KOTOR

It has the best character (Kreia), far superior cast of villains, deep reflections on morality.

Overall it's just a way darker and more mature story.

The ending is weak but to say that the combat is the only good thing is completely baffling.

Good job on the list OP, makes for interesting reading.

We agree to disagree then. KOTOR 2 story is very boring to me.

ec0ec0

I never played fzero, someone explain to me why it should be in the top 25.

it's not "in the top 25", it's 19 :p

F-Zero GX could have been higher but... this is what i said about the game:

if you have played and understood GX, you know that, even if the best team at Nintendo decided to develop another arcade racer, it would be worse. That's the only downside of playing GX. And if you played GX, but found it frustating because the CPUs knew more about the game physics that you, there's still an irreplaceable and rewarding experience waiting for you to discover :)

If you like arcade racers, you are going to love it. Dolphin is waiting for you ;p

The problem with the game is that it's up to the player to discover how good the game actually is. When you start playing it for the first time, the game puts the player in a really bad spot and doesn't explain some important things.

To sum up, if you ever decide to play it, i'd recommend asking us for advice first because, if you don't, you'll probably have a frustating experience with the game.

ASIS

I read this:

2. Metroid Prime

As Metroid Prime 2.

I nearly lost my shit.

All in all though, good stuff. RE4 is not my personal choice but I have no reason at all being number one.

I'm shocked at Wind Waker's position.

I thought everyone hated that game?

Wind Waker has aged gracefully and I've found that despite the negative reception it garnered upon release due to the change in graphical style, lack of dungeons and general easiness along with the Triforce fetch-quest, people's memories of it have grown fonder, perhaps in contrast to the later Zelda games. I acknowledge its shortcomings as a Zelda game, but it has charm coming out the ass and I think that propels it higher than one would expect.

I'm shocked at Wind Waker's position.

I thought everyone hated that game?

I've always assumed that plenty of people love it despite its flaws, I figure if dungeon design doesn't mean as much to you as a more open world does then Wind Waker can stand out more with the world it presents the player with.
Still higher than I expected mind you, it can be hard to get a read on the standing of some individual Zelda games popularity considering how the fanbase seems split in multiple different directions sometimes leading to a lot of BEST or WORST ever.

Josh5890

Top 3 publishers are Nintendo, Capcom, and Konami respectively. Too bad we won't see that on the list for the PS3 generation or and generation after that probably. Two out of the three have fallen far.

Wind waker is good but it drags a lot in the end, and lacks dungeons (5 and a half, compared to 7-9 in most zeldas)

Platformer list is.. meh.

RE4 #1 all that matters
Still waiting on that list my man, actually hang on I think I've got it.

1. Resi 4
2. Half Life 2
3. Viewtiful Joe
4. Ninja Gaiden Black
5. Metal Slug 3
6. Time Crisis 2
7. Halo 2
8. God of War 2
9. Smash Bros Melee
10. F-Zero GX

Marvel at my psychic powers.

DerZuhälter;154127204 said:
Terrible list. Do never dare to make fun again about IGN and other publications list's with taste like that GAF. Thank god I didn't vote.

But good job putting it together guys.

All the games that made into top 25 were praised by both gamers and the press, even some developers too. My top 10 list is totally different than the final results. I don't consider it a bad list at all though.

braves01

Banned
That's a list I'm mostly comfortable with. I don't really think SotC, WW, or FFX should be on there, but the top 3 is good.

---

Ani, I think the PS2 platform list might have an error, since MGS2 isn't listed there yet it's in the top 10.

Ramsiege

Reading this list made me realize how much I miss this generation of games. One of,if not, the best generation for video gaming.

Top 3 publishers are Nintendo, Capcom, and Konami respectively. Too bad we won't see that on the list for the PS3 generation or and generation after that probably. Two out of the three have fallen far.

I know who's going to win game of the 7th generation already:

Yes, it's Dragon's Dogma!!!, Capcom at the top 3 once again!

myco666

That's a list I'm mostly comfortable with. I don't really think SotC, WW, or FFX should be on there, but the top 3 is good.

---

Ani, I think the PS2 platform list might have an error, since MGS2 isn't listed there yet it's in the top 10.

MGS2 is multiplatform.

Still waiting on that list my man, actually hang on I think I've got it.

1. Resi 4
2. Half Life 2
3. Viewtiful Joe
4. Ninja Gaiden Black
5. Metal Slug 3
6. Time Crisis 2
7. Halo 2
8. God of War 2
9. Smash Bros Melee
10. F-Zero GX

Marvel at my psychic powers.

MY BRAIN

CHARLES NOOOOOOO

DedValve

Banned
This list isn't very shocking at all but to be fair, you can just tell that these games where going to be "it" for the rest of the generation.

Trago

That RPG list, yikes. FFX will never be above Deus Ex in my book lol.

Otherwise, cool top ten list, not surprised that it leaned heavily towards consoles. (Thief II was robbed I tell you!)

Top Bottom