• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

Thanks for the effort to those involved.

Good to see Bloodborne on the top. Well deserved. There's nothing else, that I voted for in the top 10 though.

I wonder why the overall rankings, that should include all the titles that received at least 2 points, exclude The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Resident Evil HD, which got 3 and 2 points from me?

After all...

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was listed in the Excel sheet and I voted for it as well!

Xater

If anything it's Nintendo-GAF

kcDHmwG.png

I love this statistic about the exclusives. It's funny how people have been touting MS' great exclusives line-up over the years and yet it seems like it always doesn't impress that much. At least not on GAF. Basically exclusives on any other platform seem to be more popular.

The top 10 is alright, except for that Fallout 4 stain.

Tankard

My stats for anyone interested:

Tankard
66.66666% Multi, 11.11111% Nintendo, 22.22222% Sony
Comments: 12/12
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190025633&postcount=154
1. Until Dawn - 4 points
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - 3 points
3. Bloodborne - 3 points
4. Rocket League - 2 points
5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 2 points
6. Helldivers - 2 points
7. Super Mario Maker - 1 point
8. DISALLOWED
9. Mortal Kombat X - 1 point
10. Star Wars Battlefront - 1 point
x. Soma
x. Kerbal Space Program
x. Downwell

Glad i could help Until Dawn in the top 10, it deserves. My number 8 was besiege, i was sure it was a 2015 game? at least it's what Google told me, is it because it's still in Early access?
There are games that i'm sure it would crack my top 10 had I played like Life is Strange (getting it this month), Ori (still need to buy it on PC).
Great year.

Hugstable

Banned
FirstChapterisbetterthanSecondChapteranyways *cough*

3lAeOvv.png

I love this statistic about the exclusives. It's funny how people have been touting MS' great exclusives line-up over the years and yet it seems like it always doesn't impress that much. At least not on GAF. Basically exclusives on any other platform seem to be more popular.

It's Neogaf, have you seen how most Xbox topics go on this place? Not exactly surprising many of there fans probably don't vote here or care about voting.

I don't know if I'll ever understand what the hell you lot see in Bloodborne. Tried to play it, and it's amazingly mediocre. It's an ok game, I suppose but not near the praise it gets here. Witcher 3 not winning is a travesty.

At least GAF didn't put Fallout that high.

Amazing combat, level design, art direction, actual challenge and lore are my main reasons. Better gameplay than TW3 in my opinion. Opinions.

I'd say no game in that top ten is mediocre, save for Fallout.

And the beauty of GAF's GotY list is that you have to motivate your choices, so it's not hard to see what people see in their picks. :)

Speaking of which, I thought there was some stellar writing this year by the way.

Best video game of the year has settled into its rightful throne at number one!
tumblr_nlxwc92EWp1tjqz8wo1_400.gif

Special thanks to timetokill and Cheesemeister for their work in rounding up all the data for one of my favorite types of threads from the forum!

Looking forward to grabbing the expanded copies of The Witcher III, Batman: Arkham Knight, Fallout 4 and Dying Light whenever they drop as I passed on those blockbusters given the likelihood they'd get some extra goodies down the road. I wish Bloodborne would get a similar treatment with the DLC so that I can have an excellent excuse to revisit Yharnam. I'm still a little annoyed that re-release votes get brushed under the rug when it comes to primary voting. I almost believe a separate listing should be made for those titles since they're already distinguished from the main ballot. Based on the final tallies, I'm surprised Revelations placed outside of the top twenty ranges with the gushing reception it had in the main thread, but I guess RE6 and an early quarter release spoiled thoughts when the voting came into gear.
Personal Picks vs. Final Results said:
01. Bloodborne (#01)
02. Steins;Gate (#04 RR)
03. The Talos Principle (#03 RR)
04. Until Dawn (#09)
05. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (#36)
06. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (#40)
07. MGSV: The Phantom Pain (#03)
08. Life Is Strange (#05)
09. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (#34)
10. The Order: 1886 (#37)
XX. Godzilla (#127)
XX. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (#72)
XX. Xenoblade Chronicles X (#11)
XX. Yakuza 5 (#27)
Shout out to those with exquisite taste!
User Affinity said:

Blobbers

I don't know if I'll ever understand what the hell you lot see in Bloodborne. Tried to play it, and it's amazingly mediocre. It's an ok game, I suppose but not near the praise it gets here. Witcher 3 not winning is a travesty.

I mean there are so many mediocre elements to the Witcher 3. I don't get this mentality of hailing it as the be all end all of open world games.

Servbot24

Banned
What would you say defines an RPG then?

I do find it funny that people shout about how great the action is in Bloodborne, but it wins an award for games that are generally praised on their writing.

Very, very few RPGs are praised for their writing. :p

p3n

I wonder, how much did The Old Hunters help shifting the votes so late in the year? Bloodborne's DLC made the game complete and pushed it even above Dark Souls for me. The vanilla game was good but wouldn't have made it into MY top 5.

NotLiquid

As far as 2015 goes I'm pretty indifferent towards many of the "major" titles on this list. I feel like 2014 was a much better year overall where not a single beat was skipped in the majority of the top 20 and had refreshing takes on things while more consistently living up to expectations, where-as this was a year I looked more toward the smaller scale titles, which didn't stop them from being unforgettable experiences though, as both Splatoon and Undertale are legendary titles to me.

Also all these are a Cool Guy

Nice to see Splatoon win best shooter and Wii-U game
Xenoblade Chronicles X also doing well

one thing though. .from the zip file

[PC] Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (Platform) = 17 points

So.. Shouldn't Shantae at least be in the list over two points? or doesn't it count because it's a PC re-release?
Just asking because I had it in my list.

too bad i forgot to vote this time. no brandish, no trails, no yakuza 5, no olliolli2 for all of you.

bloodborne rocked it. good to see it up there.

M.Steiner

Great list. The Witcher 3 was my personal GOTY (with Bloodborne in second) but it's nice to see Bloodborne in the #1 spot for a change. Both well deserved, as were most of the others I've played which got a placement in the list somewhere.

ethomaz

Banned
Justice.

Bloodborne is the winner over that shit combat system game that deserves the number 2 due great things in other areas.

MGSV deserves the love too.

Destiny still the king of FPS two years in a row... can it make 3? It is the best gameplay by a long shot too.

Tomb Raiser is not Xbone exclusive fix the list... Halo should win.

Blobbers

What would you say defines an RPG then?

I do find it funny that people shout about how great the action is in Bloodborne, but it wins an award for games that are generally praised on their writing.

That's kinda funny, because Divinity: OS is another undoubtedly RPG game which I found had mediocre writing but a stellar combat system.

Melchiah

Well, I take it that means you tried it just for a while, instead of playing it all the way, which would explain the lack of understanding.

Hugstable

Banned
It wasn't consistent about it, either.
For instance, I formatted my vote for SC identically to Famassu and boingball but my vote counted and there's got redirected to FC.

How do I check what it set my vote as? I voted SC as my #1 pick and want to know if it choose SC or FC for me now :(

myco666

I think that may have been due to it's genre not being everyone's things, plus it's also really short, and also came out on Steam in 2014 and was included in quite a bit of bundles since then. Though the game is amazing and super fun. Love the effects and wish more people would give this game a chance, on both PS4 and Steam.

Oh yeah it was released last year on PC. Forgot about that. But yeah it isn't a genre for everyone and even I don't really care for shmups but after Astebreed I am really interested to check out more of them.

Thanks for the effort to those involved.

Good to see Bloodborne on the top. Well deserved. There's nothing else, that I voted for in the top 10 though.

I wonder why the overall rankings, that should include all the titles that received at least 2 points, exclude The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Resident Evil HD, which got 3 and 2 points from me?

After all...

Rereleases, ports and remakes don't count for the overall GOTY. They are in other list.

UberTag

How do I check what it set my vote as? I voted SC as my #1 pick and want to know if it choose SC or FC for me now :(
I called out all of the votes earlier and how they were allocated.
Yours was counted against FC... despite showing up like this...

1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC ; Aidios what a game this is. A continuation that takes place straight after the first chapter and really expands on the story from the first game whilst having top notch quality writing and characters. The emotion from some scenes got me to tear up. The side quests are written so well, have tons of dialogue and varying objectives where it's much more than just the basic "kill Monster, gather shit" type quests. Sure there is still a few of those, but there are quests were you can be doing a variety of things. One quest even had me playing detective and trying to find out the culprit. Also the battle system is amazing and due to the game being more challenging than the first you definitely have to be more strategic in your fights, as well as set up your orbments and lines properly. I'm glad I got to finish this game before the voting time was up and really add it into my list, because it really deserves it. Those on the fence should really give the series a try, it's honestly amazing if you put the time into it. The first game may start slow, but once it gets going, god damn does it get going. Praise Aidios for based Falcom and Xseed. Please find a way to get Trails in the Sky 3rd and Zero and AO no Kiskei localized someday, I've officially fallen in love with this series. Thankfully I still have the rest of Trails of Cold Steel to look forward too (only on Chapter 3)
This is worth raising a stink about because I think there's a good shot SC should be ranked 7th on 2015's Best RPGs of the Year list right below Pillars of Eternity.

Grief.exe

I could see Microsoft's exclusives appealing strongly to a mainstream market, which isn't going to reflect well on an enthusiast forum. GAF does have a strong Sony bias.

iz.podpolja

Neo Member
I really don't get the love for Fallout 4.

Then again I am not a fan of Bethesda.

They have their exploration charm, that being said FO4 is such a mediocre game comparing to its peers, that it's mind-boggling to see it seating with twice as many awards as games that - even if someone dislikes them - do so much more for their respective genres. Power of 10mln copies?

Servbot24

Banned

Halo and Tomb Raider were the two big XBox exclusives, and Halo was tepid while TR got lost in the Fallout hype. Meanwhile Bloodborne and Splatoon had their respective release windows more or less to themselves, and were new IPs with striking features. Not too surprising of results, and has very little to do with GAF bias. After all, you'll notice that on most media lists, Sony and Nintendo titles are placing higher, not just GAF.

Catvoca

Banned
In the overall ranking, I can find Broken Age: Act 2, but not Broken Age: The Complete Adventure?

Any game which came out on a new platform this year that was already out on other platforms seems to not have been counted on the overall ranking. Steins;Gate and Shovel Knight are examples of games which came out on vita this year but came out last year on PC, and they aren't on the full list, but are on the handheld list.. I'm guessing because Act 1 had been out already they didn't include it in the full list, which is a shame.

Top Bottom