• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

kpaadet

What would you say defines an RPG then?

I do find it funny that people shout about how great the action is in Bloodborne, but it wins an award for games that are generally praised on their writing.
To me? Being able to build a character and create a build, you know stuff have have actual importance on gameplay. (The most important part in DnD as well I think).

JerkShep

We're looking hella funny right now. Great list.

Eight games out of ten were in my top 10 list and the other two are #11 and #13. Very happy that Bloodborne won.

So Trails in the Sky FC for the PSP won game of the year for the Vita huh? (That's a pretty bad flub)

Even SC isn't eligible as it is a PSP game as well but, okay. I am glad it's getting some recognition but, it's a little odd.

I know the Vita can play it due to the space it occupies but, eh I guess I am arguing semantics.

UberTag

For some reason, I thought Trails in the Sky FC (PC) came out early in 2015. I'm pretty sure that's what happened with most of those votes.
I beg to differ... let's look at the supposed votes for FC and qualify whether they are actually votes for FC or not.

[PSP][PSV][PC] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter (RPG) = 84 points, 2 honorable mentions
1. (4 points * 10 users) CrazyDude, Eusis, Herla, Jucksalbe, Macstorm, Pellaidh, Se7enSword, Shahed, ULTROS!, yami4ct
2. (3 points * 4 users) Aaronrules380, Dio, SatelliteOfLove, Shantom
3. (3 points * 6 users) Admiral Woofington, byropoint, Fdkn, M_Night, Ratrat, Ultimadrago
4. (2 points * 3 users) abrack08, Seda, UberTag
5. (2 points * 2 users) ShaggsMagoo, Steel
6. (2 points * 1 user) Clive
7. (1 point * 1 user) Deps
8. (1 point * 1 user) Wingus
x. (2 users) ohlawd, Sallokin

[PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (RPG) = 78 points, 2 honorable mentions
1. (4 points * 8 users) Arthea, boingball, Famassu, hohoXD123, Hugstable, jj984jj, Pellegri Testament, Thoraxes
2. (3 points * 5 users) Burning Justice, Dragon1893, Finalow, Palette Swap, Ultimadrago
3. (3 points * 6 users) kierwynn, RespectThySole, SxP, TheDancingWatermelon, Tye The Czar, Zero-Crescent
5. (2 points * 2 users) Gotchaye, Jolkien
6. (2 points * 3 users) Elandyll, jjasper, Shahed
7. (1 point * 2 users) Adam Prime, The Illiterati
8. (1 point * 1 user) AntiFacebook
x. (2 users) Toki767, Yeef

Arthea's actual vote...
1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

boingball's actual vote...
1. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter ; After years of wait finally the continuation of the story.

Famassu's actual vote...
1. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter ; Bar none the most memorable game experience I will have had in 2015. It's not perfect, but the highs are so high that you can look past some flaws. These games can be a bit long-winded, but even the most mundane dialogue is usually quite well written and the writing is even stronger when it really matters. One of the highest points of this game is how you remember even some very minor NPCs who don't necessarily get more than a line or a few in the game. I remember completely inconsequential NPCs that have no relation to the main plot I've last seen in my playthrough of the first game, what, 4 or 5 years ago. Still, Trails in the Sky SC offers plenty of relatable characters, great world-building and continuation to the story began in First Chapter that doesn't let go once it kicks into high gear.
And so on and so forth. These are all intended votes for SC... NOT FC.

tusken77

My peeps....

post-54731-chow-yun-fat-thumbs-up-gif-Img-uDN9.gif

Courage

RoTR beating out Halo 5 for Xbox game of the year is really something. MS really fucked up big time with that franchise. They should have never let Bungie go.

MCC really ruined any reputation the series had left. It's a shame because Halo 5 has foundation to be something great.

RDreamer

I don't know if I'll ever understand what the hell you lot see in Bloodborne. Tried to play it, and it's amazingly mediocre. It's an ok game, I suppose but not near the praise it gets here. Witcher 3 not winning is a travesty.

At least GAF didn't put Fallout that high.

massoluk

Banned
Fighting Game of the Year: Mortal Kombat X = 132 points, 7 honorable mentions
2. Dragon Ball XenoVerse = 33 points, 3 honorable mentions

As one of the people that voted for Dragon Ball XenoVerse. LAUGH FUCKING OUT LOUD. God damn, just show how slim the picks must be this year for fighting games.

Great work!
Very happy about the increased number of voters this year.

Don't care much for the first two games (MGSV should have come out 2014 to wipe the floor with Bayonetta :D ), but I'm still glad BB won over W3.

Well deserved praise to everyone who put in all the hard work to create this list and data. Also pretty cool to see my comment made it in for Fallout 4.

My personal GOTY was #14 but I'm still please either way.

I feel like people are underestimating Zelda

I can't see any Nintendo game getting 2,000 points, especially on such an unpopular console. They are only so many Nintendo fans on GAF that even the best-recieved games top out around 1,100 points.

Zelda might not even be top 5(UC4, Mass Effect, Persona, Dark Souls, Deus Ex)

Zia

Was there a Bloodborne / Witcher Turf War I missed? While Bloodborne is one of my all-time favorites, the PS4 is the most disappointing console I've owned while I thought The Witcher III was unplayable, so I didn't really have a horse in that race emotionally (re: SonyGAF v The World). Feel as if I missed some voting thread dramas...

Hugstable

Banned
Oh wow. Only one person besides me voted for Astebreed? What a shame. I guess nobody played it.

Also since people are posting affinity lists so will I. Great taste you guys!

I think that may have been due to it's genre not being everyone's things, plus it's also really short, and also came out on Steam in 2014 and was included in quite a bit of bundles since then. Though the game is amazing and super fun. Love the effects and wish more people would give this game a chance, on both PS4 and Steam.

Was there a Bloodborne / Witcher Turf War I missed? While Bloodborne is one of my all-time favorites, the PS4 is the most disappointing console I've owned while I thought The Witcher III was unplayable, so I didn't really have a horse in that race emotionally (re: SonyGAF v The World). Feel as if I missed some voting thread dramas...

Yeah, there was lot of bickering around the times xy sites' GotY lists thread got posted.

Melchiah

Thanks for the effort to those involved.

Good to see Bloodborne on the top. Well deserved. There's nothing else, that I voted for in the top 10 though.

I wonder why the overall rankings, that should include all the titles that received at least 2 points, exclude The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Resident Evil HD, which got 3 and 2 points from me?

After all...
Eligible games:
Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on.
DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable. Destiny: The Taken King is eligible. Horse Armor is not.

UberTag

Good work!

SC got robbed
Seems highly likely that SC should be ranked in the low 30s (around Hotline Miami 2) instead of in 48th place.

I would also argue that the Vita exclusive of the year should be redacted to Persona 4: Dancing All Night. The Trails games are on Steam.
Evolution's release shouldn't fudge that category. That's not what we were voting for.

I like this list, though I'd personally place Tales From The Borderlands higher than Life is Strange. But whatever, it's not a big deal. My panties remain knotless.

The real fucked up part has nothing to do with the voting but the fact that so many people on and off Neogaf were disappointed with Fallout 4 and Arkham Knight. In an ideal world those games would have been amazing. They could have been.

Sure it did, on the Vita.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Heroes:_Trails_in_the_Sky

If people didn't specifically say "Second Chapter," their votes might've been misdirected.
To be fair, if we're counting the Evolution versions, and this is really not a dig at you guys, Second Chapter also released on Vita in 2015: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Heroes:_Trails_in_the_Sky_Second_Chapter

If anything, it's a testament to how messy things can get between the naming of the games and games releasing late in the West while their remakes release in Japan.

Catvoca

Banned
Is it just me or is Steins Gate missing in the complete list?

Because it came out on PC last year I don't think it was included. Same for Shovel Knight, it's high on the handheld list but not on the full list because it came out last year on most platforms.

Edit: I should say I'm not totally sure, just guessing.

iz.podpolja

Neo Member
I don't know if I'll ever understand what the hell you lot see in Bloodborne. Tried to play it, and it's amazingly mediocre. It's an ok game, I suppose but not near the praise it gets here. Witcher 3 not winning is a travesty.

It's not like CDPR with nine times more GotY awards then From Software will miss one more and BB definitely deserves all accolades. It's more disheartening to see Fallout 4 having twice as many as BB to be honest.

http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/

As the point totals indicate, they are by far the most widely beloved games on GAF in 2015. Witcher 3 has completely dominated the critics choice for GOTY, which led to the "Bloodborne was robbed!" meme, so of course this result would be contested.

The appeal of the Souls games comes from how different they are from anything else. I guess this is the type of games that will never be properly streamlined to have the wide appeal that other games have like Fallou 4 or The Witcher 3. And this "flaw" (to most of us it isn't a flaw but something that distinguish the game from the rest) is why Bloodborne (and the Souls series in general) doesn't win many "GOTY" outside of the most core/niche site or audiences.

Top Bottom