• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT7| Make friends, then kill them (SIGNUPS OPEN, NEW PLAYERS WELCOME)

RetroMG

If you would like to run a game for Season 7.5, please let me know ASAP, even if you don't have a design yet. (Though now would be a very good time for you to be making a design, don't you think?)

So far, we have two games potentially in the pipeline.

Sawneeks

Banned
If you would like to run a game for Season 7.5, please let me know ASAP, even if you don't have a design yet. (Though now would be a very good time for you to be making a design, don't you think?)

LP and I have Legend of Zelda Mafia that should be good to go for 7.5, it just depends on when you need everything to be working and sort-of balanced.

Sophia

As noted, the basic design of Pineapple Pizza Mafia is done and I could run it. All I'd need to do is flesh out the specifics, write role PMs, and have someone give it a quick glance over.

I'd prefer however to play a game if at all possible instead of running tho so...

RetroMG

Who was interested in creating a Doctor Who Mafia? I know the idea has been kicked around a couple times. My wife's been binge-watching it and I've got a design about 80% done, but I would need a co-mod (or better yet, someone to just run it.)

CzarTim

Who was interested in creating a Doctor Who Mafia? I know the idea has been kicked around a couple times. My wife's been binge-watching it and I've got a design about 80% done, but I would need a co-mod (or better yet, someone to just run it.)

I'll help design if you help run.

roytheone

I fear I am still way to busy with work+ looking for other work to be able to run Witcher mafia :(

my game, quarantine, is ready to go for 7.5

Zubz

Banned
I just realized something in our post-mortem Role PM's! The reason why Blarg & Mazre had "Day" instead of "Night" in their Role PM's was because Topo was probably going to swap the terms "Day" & "Night" for the Vampire game. I understand why he didn't go through with it, but that's pretty clever.

Also, I apologize if I came off as rude at any point, Blarg & Mazre.

El Topo

I'm still busy, so please understand that there is currently no flavor for the end of the day. Please enjoy the hilarious events that preceded the end of the day for now. Feel free to laugh.

Natiko

Banned
Just wanted to pop in an say that if we are doing mid-season games I would like to join one. I'm sure there will be official sign ups I'll have to do, but at least I can make my intentions known in advance. Had a really good time with my first one, thanks to everyone that works behind the scenes making it all possible!

Just wanted to pop in an say that if we are doing mid-season games I would like to join one. I'm sure there will be official sign ups I'll have to do, but at least I can make my intentions known in advance. Had a really good time with my first one, thanks to everyone that works behind the scenes making it all possible!

congrats you :> well played!

mid season will start after the new year, but for now, you can read / follow the other games Vampire, Pop and Pixar). The links are on the first page :D

Zubz

Banned
I'm still busy, so please understand that there is currently no flavor for the end of the day. Please enjoy the hilarious events that preceded the end of the day for now. Feel free to laugh.

lu.gif

Natiko

Banned
congrats you :> well played!

mid season will start after the new year, but for now, you can read / follow the other games Vampire, Pop and Pixar). The links are on the first page :D

Thanks! Sounds good to me. Sounds like some stuff went down in Vampire so I might have to read through that one first. I was so focused on Persona I didn't do much more than glance at the other three once or twice.

Verelios

Thanks! Sounds good to me. Sounds like some stuff went down in Vampire so I might have to read through that one first. I was so focused on Persona I didn't do much more than glance at the other three once or twice.
Congratulations Natiko. Well played, well played.

You did well.

Sophia

Got a question for all of you, particularly those with you who want to commit to a game but would still like a more lenient posting. This is no indication that such a game will run for the mid season as of right now; I'm merely gauging opinions.

Would you all be interested in playing a game with a slightly different distribution of day/night phases?

It'd be something like this.

• Day Phases last five days. The day starts on Monday at 12:00 PM (Noon) Eastern US time, and ends on Friday at 5:00 PM Eastern US.
  • Night Phases last just over two days, primarily occurring over late Friday, Saturday and Sunday
  • Instead of the one post per day phase, the activity requirement would be one post every 48 hours.
  • Players would be prodded and would be required to respond to a prod within 24 hours or be replaced.
  • Players who have to be prodded three times will automatically be replaced, regardless if they've responded to the previous prods or not.
  • Plurality vote instead of majority vote. This means that every day phase would always end at the same time, and thus no option for a day phase to end early.

Been thinking about activity within games recently, and various options to find a compromise between the super active Mini Mafia and the more relaxed nature of the main season games. The goal with such a setup would be to de-emphasize day ends a bit, and provide more leniency to those who don't have a lot of time to read several posts or mega-huge posts. And as Mid-season is usually when we run experimental setups, I'd be curious in seeing what others think.

Ourobolus

Banned
Got a question for all of you, particularly those with you who want to commit to a game but would still like a more lenient posting. This is no indication that such a game will run for the mid season as of right now; I'm merely gauging opinions.

Would you all be interested in playing a game with a slightly different distribution of day/night phases?

It'd be something like this.

• Day Phases last five days. The day starts on Monday at 12:00 PM (Noon) Eastern US time, and ends on Friday at 5:00 PM Eastern US.
  • Night Phases last just over two days, primarily occurring over late Friday, Saturday and Sunday
  • Instead of the one post per day phase, the activity requirement would be one post every 48 hours.
  • Players would be prodded and would be required to respond to a prod within 24 hours or be replaced.
  • Players who have to be prodded three times will automatically be replaced, regardless if they've responded to the previous prods or not.
  • Plurality vote instead of majority vote. This means that every day phase would always end at the same time, and thus no option for a day phase to end early.

Been thinking about activity within games recently, and various options to find a compromise between the super active Mini Mafia and the more relaxed nature of the main season games. The goal with such a setup would be to de-emphasize day ends a bit, and provide more leniency to those who don't have a lot of time to read several posts or mega-huge posts. And as Mid-season is usually when we run experimental setups, I'd be curious in seeing what others think.

5 Days is too long, IMO. Mid season games typically don't run week-to-week, and even regular season games I'm thinking might be needing a cut in length.
Not TOTALLY against the plurality/majority thing, but MYLO/LYLO jitters are part of the fun with majority voting.

I'm against plurality alongside five day days. If you run into a scenario where say, a cop comes back with a red check, everyone is going to pile on then check out for four days.

as an impartial overseer, i think all of these ideas are interesting and worth a try to see if any would service our community's preferences better :>

however, as honest as a spiderly spider a spider can be, the following is my preferences:
  • 3/2 phase
  • at least 2 posts per 24 hours from every player
  • not against plurality instead of majority due to living in australian timezone, but also enjoy the adrenaline rushes of the occasional turbos

cant make up my mind about the three-pokes rule. i guess im afraid it might be harsh, but then again it may be unfair to other players in a given game if anyone is THAT inactive.

Natiko

Banned
From the perspective of a player new to this, I don't really think the posting guidelines for Persona asked too much of people. If you want a game that goes even slower than Persona did at times I'm not even sure what that would look like. If anything I think maybe increasing the default requirements while keeping some games at the current level may be beneficial. Expecting a single post a day over a four day period isn't asking much, especially with prods for when they forget. I also don't know that it would be a good idea to put the prod limit into any game with a lot of newbies. That could have made me more reluctant to join when I signed up originally.
Little did I know I'd end up posting a lot.

Knowing what I do now had I been given the choice I would have joined a game requiring more activity. Matt Attack for instance though has made some really good posts in Persona but is a player that can't contribute a ton of time to it so that activity level probably jives better with his style.

Just my two cents. I'm sure the opinions of everyone else that has chimed in are more beneficial but I figured I at least had a different perspective as a new person to the community.

franconp

If you want a game that goes even slower than Persona did at times I'm not even sure what that would look like.

Believe it or not, Persona is, by far, the game with most post this season. It has more post that both of the two other games combined.

For the record I think we should shorten the phases. 3/2 phases seems the best to me. Usually the activity peaks at the start and the end of the phases, so adding more days would only make the points of lower activity to last longer.

Natiko

Banned
Believe it or not, Persona is, by far, the game with most post this season. It has more post that both of the two other games combined.

For the record I think we should shorten the phases. 3/2 phases seems the best to me. Usually the activity peaks at the start and the end of the phases, so adding more days would only make the points of lower activity to last longer.
That is true, I guess looking at them after the fact skews it since I'm not experiencing the post rate first hand. Still, even with the most posts of the three there have been some pretty dead points.

Sophia

as an impartial overseer, i think all of these ideas are interesting and worth a try to see if any would service our community's preferences better :>

however, as honest as a spiderly spider a spider can be, the following is my preferences:
  • 3/2 phase
  • at least 2 posts per 24 hours from every player
  • not against plurality instead of majority due to living in australian timezone, but also enjoy the adrenaline rushes of the occasional turbos

cant make up my mind about the three-pokes rule. i guess im afraid it might be harsh, but then again it may be unfair to other players in a given game if anyone is THAT inactive.

Yeah, 3/2 definitely seems to have a lot of support in general as far as phases go. That being said, I was looking at what other places did to get an idea of activity too, hence the 5/2 suggestion.

Sorian

Banned
How about we go for the mafia universe day length and give Gafia a heart attack. 36 hour day phases and 12 hour night phases, if you don't hit 10 posts per day phase then you're auto replaced.

franconp

How about we go for the mafia universe day length and give Gafia a heart attack. 36 hour day phases and 12 hour night phases, if you don't hit 10 posts per day phase then you're auto replaced.

It could be a good idea for a mid season game but not for the main season. It may scare newbies away.

Top Bottom