• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT7| Make friends, then kill them (SIGNUPS OPEN, NEW PLAYERS WELCOME)

Sorian

Banned
Also 12 hour night phases are amazing. GAFia falls because all you scum feel the need for all this intricate nonsense a good kill takes all of 10 minutes to decide

CzarTim

Also 12 hour night phases are amazing. GAFia falls because all you scum feel the need for all this intricate nonsense a good kill takes all of 10 minutes to decide
As someone who has been on a scum team with Oreo, it takes at least 36 hours to convince people of a good scum kill :p

Kawl_USC

In terms of day length and planning etc, I'd say be wary of a day phase taking place fully on the weekend.

Occasionally people do have weekend plans making it far more likely to miss the whole day phase than if it was at least partially during the week.

And you know I'd be down for higher post count 12 hour night games. More posts sink scum as long as you do the sensible thing and lynch Sorian.

How about we go for the mafia universe day length and give Gafia a heart attack. 36 hour day phases and 12 hour night phases, if you don't hit 10 posts per day phase then you're auto replaced.

You forget, 36/12 is their 5/2

24/12 or 12/12 were seriously being discussed this with you, and the idea of 72/24 was entirely unfathomable for them

36/12 is good so long as you're caught up with things

What's better is that of you end up out of sync, you get good at forcing yourself to only get the most important stuff down

The one thing that would make it tough is that MU's tools are REALLY useful for catching up. God bless ISOs that are displayed the way MU does them.

Natiko

Banned
I would at least consider joining a 36/12 phase. The main concern I have is depending on the time it was set I may miss every other day end.

RetroMG

How about we go for the mafia universe day length and give Gafia a heart attack. 36 hour day phases and 12 hour night phases, if you don't hit 10 posts per day phase then you're auto replaced.

Sounds like you have players, Beanie. When shall I slot you in for?

Ty4on

36/12 is good so long as you're caught up with things

What's better is that of you end up out of sync, you get good at forcing yourself to only get the most important stuff down

The one thing that would make it tough is that MU's tools are REALLY useful for catching up. God bless ISOs that are displayed the way MU does them.
God, ISOing players is so useful, but a real pain on GAF especially in longer games.

It's pretty amazing how quickly you can go through all, say, 100 posts of a player with a good interface compared to what a pain it is to look through, say, 20 on GAF.

El Topo

God, ISOing players is so useful, but a real pain on GAF especially in longer games.

It's pretty amazing how quickly you can go through all, say, 100 posts of a player with a good interface compared to what a pain it is to look through, say, 20 on GAF.

Best thing you have at GAF is searching for all posts of a player in a particular thread. At least this way you can get a chronological list.

Ty4on

Best thing you have at GAF is searching for all posts of a player in a particular thread. At least this way you can get a chronological list.
Yeah, but you need to click on any longer post to get the entire post which means eating up a bunch of chrome memory.

I open every page in a game (or a portion in longer games) and ctrl+f whomever I'm reading. I use search to find mentions (I love having to search for every possible nickname >_>). That way I can scan through the posts quickly and I get the context immediately.

roytheone

Wouldn't this basically require scum to be around the same time zone though? Or else you could have nights where scum wouldn't be able to communicate at all.

Swamped

Banned
Yeah, but you need to click on any longer post to get the entire post which means eating up a bunch of chrome memory.

I open every page in a game (or a portion in longer games) and ctrl+f whomever I'm reading. I use search to find mentions (I love having to search for every possible nickname >_>). That way I can scan through the posts quickly and I get the context immediately.

Actually that's a really good point. I'm certainly guilty of mis-spelling people's names. I know that we enforce correct spelling for votes, but maybe we should do that overall as well (or if you're going to mis-spell for comedic purposes, also include the correct spelling) just so it's easier for people to find posts regarding a specific person.

Ty4on

Wouldn't this basically require scum to be around the same time zone though? Or else you could have nights where scum wouldn't be able to communicate at all.
Nocturnal scum

Timezone differences I feel flat out aren't really solvable. Longer phases help everyone give their say, but IMO doesn't really solve it. We're lucky enough not to have any players from the Middle East, India, Russia, but still don't have a day start/end time that suits everyone with people in Europe having to stay up late and people in East Asia or Oceania having to wake up early.

With 12 hours you at least know (and can maybe avoid last minute doubt because one member isn't checking in) and most people won't be in a position where they're unavailable for 12 hours.
Actually that's a really good point. I'm certainly guilty of mis-spelling people's names. I know that we enforce correct spelling for votes, but maybe we should do that overall as well (or if you're going to mis-spell for comedic purposes, also include the correct spelling) just so it's easier for people to find posts regarding a specific person.
I think that's a bit extreme :p
I think stuff like that should remain part of the meta as long as you're not taunting people.

El Topo

Friday. 11pm CET. Live Mafia on Discord. The theme will be Revenge*. If this date does not work for you, feel free to tell me.
gre_1481925600.png

*Not the TV show.

Sawneeks

Banned

Leaving post-it notes for your scummates when they wake up is a valid strategy.

That would be weird. Going from Roy, Ty, and Topo to using their full username would just feel so formal. Typing Blargonaut as oppose to Blarg just doesn't feel right.

Sorian

Banned
You forget, 36/12 is their 5/2

24/12 or 12/12 were seriously being discussed this with you, and the idea of 72/24 was entirely unfathomable for them

People who actually enjoy 12/12 can go fly a kite with their shit posting and 24/12 is awkward because it would keep changing day end time.

Sounds like you have players, Beanie. When shall I slot you in for?

Maybe I want to play in it! I might slot in a high impact game like that during a crack in time.

Sacrifices must be made! Again though, this isn't the type of game with tons of PRs, all scum needs to decide is who dies and if they want to toss a modifier on it in most cases.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I agree. Longer night phase I think are a hangover from more traditional mafia games where scum do not have day chat, I just never bothered adjusting it in season 1 and I think it has set in by inertia.

cabot

I agree. Longer night phase I think are a hangover from more traditional mafia games where scum do not have day chat, I just never bothered adjusting it in season 1 and I think it has set in by inertia.

Hey a night-only scum chat, theres an idea.

Kyanrute

a young lady, searching for her lost, untamed pets in a land behind the sea, has her quest interrupted by a realization that she holds feelings of affection towards the opposite sex

RetroMG

Programming note: No more forum games will be starting in 2016. Once the current slate of games has finished, we will be going on Winter Break until just after the new year. At that time, we will start midseason games.

If you would like to run a midseason game, please let me know asap. We have a shortage.

In the meantime, Live Mafia and Jackbox will still continue in Discord. The current main season games will run until they are finished, and gamerunners will announce any changes to the game schedule during the holidays.

The Gafia Moderation Team would like to take this opportunity to wish you and yours the happiest of holidays, and a peaceful new year.

franconp

Programming note: No more forum games will be starting in 2016. Once the current slate of games has finished, we will be going on Winter Break until just after the new year. At that time, we will start midseason games.

If you would like to run a midseason game, please let me know asap. We have a shortage.

In the meantime, Live Mafia and Jackbox will still continue in Discord. The current main season games will run until they are finished, and gamerunners will announce any changes to the game schedule during the holidays.

The Gafia Moderation Team would like to take this opportunity to wish you and yours the happiest of holidays, and a peaceful new year.

There's a shortage of mid-season games? I may have one. Will send you a PM later.

Sorian

Banned

Ohohoho, that's what you think!

RetroMG

There's a shortage of mid-season games? I may have one. Will send you a PM later.

Well, I wrote that, and then people came out of the woodwork. (Some were apparently never in the woodwork to begin with.) But yes, I would love to see what you have.

Ohohoho, that's what you think!

Do you even have time, Beanie?

On a housekeeping note, I've been doing some cleaning at Outer Gafia, and I swept up all of the planning boards that are over a month old and have no posts on them. If you would like a new planning board on OG or a planning channel on Discord, please PM me.

Crab, your board is still intact, since I just made it recently.

Is ONUW dead for good? I kind of miss those. I think they would be a perfect fit for the holiday season.

Kawl_USC

I'd be open to running or playing a onuw on OG if there's sufficient interest. Think it works better there than as a live Mafia game.

And that way people won't make fun of me taking an hour to set it all up ; ;

Hobohodo

Has anyone here given that Werewolves Within game for the VR headsets a go? Was playing for a good two hours or so on it the other night, it works surprisingly well.

Natiko

Banned
Pardon my ignorance but what is ONUW? I still plan on joining Live Mafia one of these times but I always end up having life get in the way. There's a chance I'll be able to join Friday but I didn't want to mention it until I could commit.

Also lol at the last couple day endings in Persona and Vampire.

Pardon my ignorance but what is ONUW? I still plan on joining Live Mafia one of these times but I always end up having life get in the way. There's a chance I'll be able to join Friday but I didn't want to mention it until I could commit.

ONUW = One Night Ultimate Werewolf

it's a fast-paced variation of the game, and usually takes only a few days to wrap up, unlike our forum mafias (except for pixar :x)

There should be information about ONUW on the first page... mm let me check

Here is our community's past ONUW games: http://outergafia.com/board/13/onuw-night-ultimate-werewolf

edit: lol doppel <3

Sawneeks

Banned
I'd be open to running or playing a onuw on OG if there's sufficient interest. Think it works better there than as a live Mafia game.

And that way people won't make fun of me taking an hour to set it all up ; ;

Depending on when it is I would love to play. Tanner Dream won a live game, now it has to win a forum game. c:

It's short for One Night Ultimate Werewolf, sort of a 'condensed' version of Mafia. Instead of multiple Day Phases it's only 1 Night Phase and 1 Day Phase. Town wins when they lynch a Werewolf, the Werewolves win when they don't get lynched.

edit: beaten by the spider boss :c

RetroMG

Is ONUW dead for good? I kind of miss those. I think they would be a perfect fit for the holiday season.

If someone wants to take up ONUW, I'm fine with it. I had dibs on hosting ONUW 10, since it was my baby to begin with, but my life is way too busy right now to host it, so I'll give it up to someone else.

Ourobolus

Banned
If someone wants to take up ONUW, I'm fine with it. I had dibs on hosting ONUW 10, since it was my baby to begin with, but my life is way too busy right now to host it, so I'll give it up to someone else.

When BabyMG grows up I am telling her that she wasn't the first

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was scum all of once (and it was disastrous) so this is just bullshit but I don't see why time zones are a problem. Scum shouldn't be leaving their decisions until the night phase begins; they have all of the day phase to discuss and deliberate. Only end-of-day upsets would change the calculus.

Top Bottom