• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF MAY 2014 Pick-Up Post!! Show Us Your Gaming Goods + more!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hell of a way to join the Vita party! How did you track those special editions down?

The Muramasa LE was available on the Canadian Amazon. I was lucky enough to find the Ys LE sealed at a Gamestop/EB Games. ^_^

krae_man

Finally got my hands on "Embiggen the Smallest Man":

o99QZtm.jpg

Been looking for it forever. Now I own all 8 of his Simpsons prints.

Now to find something else to collect :lol

Just received this after 3 delayed shipping dates.

Core i7-4702HQ, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX870M, 512GB SSD, 3200x1800 14" touchscreen IGZO IPS panel. Still cant believe something as powerful as the 870M can be slapped into such a thin chassis.

7ov89lr.jpg

Together with the Razer Armor case.

Jgwsu9k.jpg

Snakeskin texture box in a box.

TzxltC4.jpg

Black on green Razer theme.

hNaPhNG.jpg

ABPZS2W.jpg

Yup, no turning back now. Every other gaming laptop now will seem a letdown after this. :p

LnWLI53.jpg

The power brick ......is more of a power candy bar. Tiny!

OrDfgHV.jpg

OXxvoeU.jpg

It's the Retina MacBook Pro that should've been.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Core i7-4702HQ, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX870M, 512GB SSD, 3200x1800 14" touchscreen IGZO IPS panel. Still cant believe something as powerful as the 870M can be slapped into such a thin chassis.

Congratulations! My friend got his a couple weeks ago and loves it (though his is the 256GB model). It's truly a fantastic machine. I still prefer my MBP; but there's no denying that Blade packs some serious power.

We've yet to find a game it can't at least play decently. And pretty much any medium-demanding game can actually be run at its full resolution, which is crazy.

VoxPop

7ov89lr.jpg

Together with the Razer Armor case.

Jgwsu9k.jpg

Snakeskin texture box in a box.

TzxltC4.jpg

Black on green Razer theme.

hNaPhNG.jpg

ABPZS2W.jpg

Yup, no turning back now. Every other gaming laptop now will seem a letdown after this. :p

LnWLI53.jpg

The power brick ......is more of a power candy bar. Tiny!

OrDfgHV.jpg

OXxvoeU.jpg

It's the Retina MacBook Pro that should've been.

Awesome pickup. Could we get some impressions later?

Congratulations! My friend got his a couple weeks ago and loves it (though his is the 256GB model). It's truly a fantastic machine. I still prefer my MBP; but there's no denying that Blade packs some serious power.

We've yet to find a game it can't at least play decently. And pretty much any medium-demanding game can actually be run at its full resolution, which is crazy.

Concur. Ran Wolfenstein at 1080p and Titanfall at that crazy 3200x1800 resolution all maxed out without a single framerate hiccup. It's a sight to behold!

Awesome pickup. Could we get some impressions later?

Preliminary impression, it kicks serious ass. Fan starts to kick in almost immediately at max settings, dropping it to 1600x900, everything went silent. Almost like it's not taxing it at all. The only uncomfortably warm area is around the top where the power button is, there's but other than that, other areas are just warm to the touch, and pose no discomfort for gaming.

Build quality is virtually identical to a Retina Macbook Pro, machined aluminum and all ( sold off my Retina MBP for this). Right down to the huge trackpad, but with separate left/right click button which I prefer compared to the single click surface of the MBP. The screen is drop dead gorgeous, it has that similar quality of the 4K Asus PQ321Q IGZO panel that I have. Vibrant colors, although I'd give the MSI GT60 a slight edge in terms of color vibrancy, but in terms of sharpness, it has no equal right now. Viewing angles is fantastic without washing out, if at all. First thing I did was bump the DPI setting sup to 150%, text are too small on 100%, and on apps that doesn't support DPI changes like Steam for example, it can be challenging to read text off them. The keyboard is a joy to type on, not mechanical of course, but deep enough to have that clicky feel. I still cant believe it's this thin, and hold so much graphical processing power. I have the MSI GT60 Dominator Pro (1080p screen though, not the 3K screen edition), and that is heavy and thick as hell, and this is half that hefty chunk of the bottom part of that gaming laptop.

Couldn't quantify by numbers (framerates, temps, etc) until I have a proper runthrough with this, but based on what I'm seeing and playing with, Wolfenstein at 1080p all maxed out and Titanfall at native 3200x1800 res all max out, is silky smooth, but with the fans kicking in loud of course. I game with headphones on, so it's not bothering me that much.

The power brick/charger is the size of a smartphone, it's that small, but twice as thick. I've not tested battery endurance yet, having too much fun with the games. :p

Chastten

Banned

With summer approaching it was time to get some new handheld games. Got these new for under €40 total ^_^ I'm considering getting some more DS RPG's as they're dirt cheap right now, and there aren't too many on 3DS yet.

Also pretty happy I got plenty of Club Nintendo Card Cases last summer as they're filling up rather fast

bobawesome

Is Lain remastered? I'm a huuuuuge fan of the series and if it looks amazing I'll have to pick that up.

Yes, for the most part. The release has a few issues with banding compared to the original Japanese bluray box set (which happens to be substantially more expensive). It honestly wasn't too big of a deal to me.
One thing that really stands out are the CG scenes, of which there are several of in the final 3 or so episodes. They were untouched and it's pretty jarring going from scene to scene in the final episodes sometimes.
I'd definitely recommend picking up this release since you're a fan, however. Quirks aside, the remaster looks stunning compared to the original release. You may even wish to opt for the limited edition release if you can track it down for a reasonable price. It comes with a booklet detailing the restoration process as well as a 320-page artbook of sketches and concept art.

Here's a quick comparison of the original compared to the remaster, while I'm at it.

Original:

Remaster:

bobawesome

One you jump down the Aniplex hole, there's no going back. Looking to purchase the P3 Movie soon myself.

How true. My wallet still hasn't forgiven me for purchasing both Madoka movies. I had to convince the rational part of my brain that it was ridiculous to even consider buying P3 when I've hardly even touched the game.

Last but not least, I got a couple of artbooks I've been wanting for years:

Now imagine my astonishment when I noticed that the Niea artbook was signed by Abe:

:O

:D

Wow, congrats on the ABe autograph, that's awesome. Is the artbook itself hard or softcover?

Chorazin

Yes, for the most part. The release has a few issues with banding compared to the original Japanese bluray box set (which happens to be substantially more expensive). It honestly wasn't too big of a deal to me.
One thing that really stands out are the CG scenes, of which there are several of in the final 3 or so episodes. They were untouched and it's pretty jarring going from scene to scene in the final episodes sometimes.
I'd definitely recommend picking up this release since you're a fan, however. Quirks aside, the remaster looks stunning compared to the original release. You may even wish to opt for the limited edition release if you can track it down for a reasonable price. It comes with a booklet detailing the restoration process as well as a 320-page artbook of sketches and concept art.

Here's a quick comparison of the original compared to the remaster, while I'm at it.

Original:

Remaster:

Thanks!! I'm definitely interested now. The LE you mentioned, is that the Blu/DVD combo box from 2012, and is this just a re-issue of those blu-rays by themselves?

If so, looks like I'm gonna have to hunt that down soon!

glaurung

Thanks!! I'm definitely interested now. The LE you mentioned, is that the Blu/DVD combo box from 2012, and is this just a re-issue of those blu-rays by themselves?

Those Lain remastered blu-rays are epic. But as far as I know, they are region locked to the US region, so when I import them, I cannot play them on my PS3 or my PS4.

Which sucks. Because it's my favorite series of all time.

Got my first Merkur DE Safety Razer and Badger shaving brush. So far I'm loving it. Also surprised at how much cheaper this is than cartridges.

As far as video games all I've done is pre-ordered Wildstar. Don't think I'll last more than the initial month but it will be worth the $48.00 spent

Sinthetic

Wow, your Ghibli Collection is sensational, i'm collecting them as well, but they are fairly expensive in Germany. Sure I could buy them in UK like you, but the Design of the Cases is very different to mine.

The Wolfs on Wallstreet Steel looks awesome, especally the back, love the Dollarsign

Thanks mate! I really like the German releases too, very similar to the Japan ones.

Oh my goodness. That is gorgeous. Does the included storyboard cover the entire movie?

I believe it covers the whole thing and a missing scene too! Very interesting to look at.

My Serial Experiments Lain LE box.

Chorazin

Thanks guys, I'm gonna have to snag that set ASAP. Hopefully the art/production book doesn't re-tread too much stuff from Visual Experiments Lain. :)

LAA

Thought it was time I posted here...

For my number ONE ;), I decided to get an X1 today!

I was originally waiting for something Halo to come out, if it looked good or even perhaps wait for the slim version, but I realised I had 2 iPod touches laying around (1 being my brothers), both of which neither of us used anymore, so I thought about trading them for a pre owned X1, (Don't like MS enough to give MS money or support them, ha ha, and was pretty much good as new and cheaper), but seemed a good time to trade them in before they lessen in value, that and I wonder if kinect X1s will return to "normal price" after the kinect less bundle comes in. Also thought wasn't worth waiting for the slim as I found none of the 360s removed the power brick and I don't plan on playing the X1 as much as PS4, just for exclusives really.
Somehow I forgot to get a game with the X1..., but with prime Dead Rising 3 will be here tomorrow and waiting for this Ryse/For a sale for them. Kinect is really a monster, ha ha, but the X1 isn't as big as I thought it'd be. Certainly is bigger than a PS4, but not so much to put me off exactly, don't quite have full views on it yet, still getting used to it, but we'll see.
Have all current gen consoles now, so ready for the future :D.

I got this around March. I say this as someone who hasn't used a phone for...anything but calling and texts for a while, but this phone has really changed me around and I can say best phone I've ever had. I came from a HTC Desire, so quite old. Back then I had phones strictly for calling, iPod for fun, but this phone I can do both, and better and I haven't found the battery has run out on me when I needed it, which was a common issue for me when I used a phone for everything in the past.
This also feels like the first phone for me which is truly independent. In the past I always had a need to plug it into a computer, but with this, very rare I need to do it, in fact there hasn't really been a time yet, other than charging. Also love the power and screen of this phone, blew away my iPod, love the stylus stuff. This phone was pretty expensive, but so far it's proving to me it was well worth the value.
My last highlight, SSD for my laptop. Been pretty cautious about getting an SSD. Simply because I wondered if it was worth the money for a few seconds faster, but no, even better. I'm finding my laptop can boost faster than my phone, which is very impressive and significantly faster. My programs are also booting near instantly. Just very impressed and convinced it will be the future when it decreases in price and increases in space. Every PC should have one in the future.

Thought it was time I posted here...

Welcome to pickups, and congrats on your purchases.

Just a friendly note, your pictures are very large - you can always quote them, or reduce the file dimensions of the images prior to uploading to make them a bit more manageable for the average gaffer's screen :)

LAA

Welcome to pickups, and congrats on your purchases.

Just a friendly note, your pictures are very large - you can always quote them, or reduce the file dimensions of the images prior to uploading to make them a bit more manageable for the average gaffer's screen :)

Ah sorry about that, took the pictures and made the post on my phone, so didn't expect them to be so big and couldn't see how big it was on the real website.
Thanks for the tip, will use it from now on.

I've actually posted in the thread before, just been absent for a while, ha ha.

Ah sorry about that, took the pictures and made the post on my phone, so didn't expect them to be so big and couldn't see how big it was on the real website.
Thanks for the tip, will use it from now on.

I've actually posted in the thread before, just been absent for a while, ha ha.

No worries, you're not the first and won't be the last! :)

Welcome to the world of SSD, your first one is always a joy to use as you watch everything load up effortlessly fast. You'll never go back!

thenexus6

^ Good pickups!

Sorry to derail the thread, but I have been thinking of getting a SDD for my macbook. However it runs pretty loud and hot when doing stuff (even just browsing sometimes) so not sure if its on its last legs or if the SDD would help this problem a little?

VoxPop

^ Good pickups!

Sorry to derail the thread, but I have been thinking of getting a SDD for my macbook. However it runs pretty loud and hot when doing stuff (even just browsing sometimes) so not sure if its on its last legs or if the SDD would help this problem a little?

which macbook is it? I wouldn't say its worth it if its on its last legs as I believe the storage isnt the issue.

the newer macbooks come with pci-e storage which is even faster than standard ssd's

lem0n

Because of an error on Target's part, I got enough in gift cards from their trade promotion for all of this, plus money to get Watch_Dogs next week. Not a dime out of pocket! I traded 4 3DS games for the items in the first picture :D

10314578_10152193516604506_8802656815772426108_n_zpsa77d1caf.jpg

I traded BF4, Morrowind, and Pikmin for this one:

10305956_10152189620379506_8042191006147218028_n_zps043ec4ad.jpg

Seik

Banned
I posted about this back in march but today....

Got the keys to my very first home today. Pretty hyped up!
CzA6vfQ.png

Grats, got my condo 1 year ago and I remember being crazy hyped to move in!

I remember going there to hang out and play N64 on a little TV I brought there a week before moving in because there was nobody. Condo or house in you case? :)

Gameboy415

mC93yiH.jpg

-I nabbed the first 2 Burnout games on the cheap and finally got an HDMI splitter for my XBR960.

QUZxQH9.jpg

-I got the Mario Kart 8 pre-order card w/keychain for a buck at Target, Cut the Rope was super-cheap on Amazon, and I finally got a cheap copy of NPC Chibi Robo on eBay.
I was pleasantly surprised to find it had a reversible cover like the US NPC releases. :)

NWaTRNR.jpg

-My Square-Enix store loot showed up at last! :D
I'm loving Drakengard 3 so far! It was well worth the wait and I'm so happy it actually got localized!

ignata

Awesome pick up. Did you buy from one seller? My search-fu isn't working.

Haven't checked this thread in a while, sorry. They're all from here. If you're into importing it's great prices, as long as you're buying a lot at once, since the shipping is fairly high.

EVGA 1300w SuperNova G2 PSU

My Seasonic 1000w is in need of a RMA. Wanted to get a bigger PSU anyway for when I go Tri-SLI in the future as well as the new Intel 8 core chips whenever they arrive.

Nice. I just got the 850w version of this. These PSUs have amazing reviews. Dat 10 year warranty.

Mike.83

Grats, got my condo 1 year ago and I remember being crazy hyped to move in!

I remember going there to hang out and play N64 on a little TV I brought there a week before moving in because there was nobody. Condo or house in you case? :)
Two bedroom appartment :)

Top Bottom