• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF NHL 10 EASHL Team (X360)

Marvie_3

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
These tuners, despite their shortcomings, did seem to fix a lot of soft goals. There's still shit that happens (and the fluke 7 goal games against us), but it's not near as bad as two weeks ago.
Five hole and those top corner shots where the goalie doesn't even move say hi. :D

PBY

Banned
so im officially sick (flu?) which means I can play videogames all day... Anyone gonna be on early tonight?

Marvie_3 said:
Five hole and those top corner shots where the goalie doesn't even move say hi. :D

:lol :lol nobody said it was perfect--just better. Gotta admit that it feels a bit better than last week--but maybe I've just been in a few low scoring games.

Edit: Also, looks like Pheenix is on the Borderlands list too. Marvie--wtf?

Edit2: Sure it isn't rape-itis, Peterboy?

I think they should retune the goalies to make them absolute and utter shit with a scorer in front of them.

A) No more garbage, since if you have a clear shot, you'll probably get a goal--like in the NHL;
B) You'll have to play real defense;
C) User controlled goalies will become common.

Problem solved; let's do this.

PBY

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
Edit: Also, looks like Pheenix is on the Borderlands list too. Marvie--wtf?

Edit2: Sure it isn't rape-itis, Peterboy?
Pinbacker and myself are also on the Borderlands list

And yes, rape-itis is actually the scientific term for what i have

Just to be clear guys, I sounded like a robot late because I was muttering into the mic. We had a fucking hilarious night though :lol

ph33nix said:
Just to be clear guys, I sounded like a robot late because I was muttering into the mic. We had a fucking hilarious night though :lol

Robo-pheenix not being the least of the laughs. Man, I think we're actually getting better--I'm starting to believe Coach Marvie's spiel that we aren't the worst team ever. Now we just need a sweet training montage before we go on to steamroll purple cobraz.

Marvie_3

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
Robo-pheenix not being the least of the laughs. Man, I think we're actually getting better--I'm starting to believe Coach Marvie's spiel that we aren't the worst team ever. Now we just need a sweet training montage before we go on to steamroll purple cobraz.
Sweet training montage.

If this doesn't motivate everyone to play at least 3 times better, we're fucked.

Marvie_3 said:
Sweet training montage.

If this doesn't motivate everyone to play at least 3 times better, we're fucked.

How many poor girls have witnessed Peterboy's rape-face?

face.jpg

SnakeswithLasers said:
"I just don't want to be known as the team rapist."

That was the most tragic thing he could have muttered. Poor guy.

i missed this? when the fuck are we getting on tonight? :lol

PBY

Banned
ph33nix said:
i missed this? when the fuck are we getting on tonight? :lol
haha, its prob for the best you missed it... that was a sad night :lol
Oh and I'll get on right fucking now if anyones down-

PBY

Banned
sry that i just logged off- my roommate had asked me in advance if he could borrow the xbox for a short while, a few of his buddies came over, so hes gonna be on for about an hour or so-- i'll be on again when hes done

I don't think I can play tonight...I was pretty roasted in the games we played, just lied down and I can't get myself back up. I probably can't go tomorrow either got a visitor

peterb0y said:
but... bu... the tuners..?

edit: oh, and laserbot, I hope your back isn't too sore from last night-
you straight up carried the team

That's bullshit man--you had 90% of our scoring opportunities. Good games though. Some straight B-Team megatron right there.

I lifted this from Operation Sports, specifically here: http://www.operationsports.com/eashl/forum/showthread.php?t=7915

Read this shit.

Tips for FORWARDS said:
- Controlled breakout, you cannot speed/accelerate past 2-3 people anymore. They catch up and steal the puck or block your pass/shot. You need to find space, dump and chase or if you can't then go pin the puck up against the boards and let your team catch up to you.

- On defense, press the point and especially the area above the faceoff circles. The most effective shot in the game at this moment is the slapshot from the point which produces wild deflections. These are impossible for defenders to defend alone, once the shot is taken it's a matter of random luck. The defensive job of forwards is now to stop the shot.

- Use the space behind the net. It's too easy to intercept passes or steal pucks in front of the net. Go where the space is to force the defense out of the crease. Wrap-arounds are effective.

- Make smart turnovers. Accept that turnovers happen, there are no more elite forwards who walk and spin through everybody at will. Today, forwards who try this end up getting the puck stolen and it's a breakaway the other way. The better thing to do is practice loose puck dekes that will get you real space and dumping the puck.

- Pass back to defense, in the neutral zone, and let them lead the breakout. This is advanced and will require some practice but it's key to opening space and making dump & chase work. Vision and space are required to make good passes in today's game. The players with the most of both of these due to their view and positioning are usually defenders.

- Do not try to poke check the puck from the sprawled goalie covering the puck. Automatic 2 minute minor.

- It's especially frustrating when a winger gets stood up at the blue line and instead of passing it back to me on LD, he circles around hoping to make room. It's only a good idea when it works -- when it doesn't, don't be afraid to drop it back. Think of it like a Reverse in the NFL -- often the entire ice tilts to the left when the LW has the puck. If he drops it back to the Defense, you'll often have some daylight on the right side to move it up. Just don't do like you could do in '09 and skate too far ahead. It's not like Madden this year -- I can't just throw a hail mary pass that magically goes thru the defense.

- Shoot slappers from the corner boards sometimes. Good stuff happens.

- If you need to protect the puck along the boards while moving, use X/A to go into puck protect move while you move around the boards. This actually protects the puck and throws off the rhythm of the defender. In my experience, defenders are less likely to go for a check if you're in protect mode because they know it's more likely to result in a missed hit or penalty.

- If you need to slow down a little on a rush to let your teammates catch up, consider doing so just after you cross the blue line instead of doing what used to be the norm for the CC pass which was skating for the corner.

Why stop closer to the top of the blue line?

1) The cross-crease does not work so evaluate whether the corner is helpful at all.
2) Defenders in an odd-man rush are rarely going to press you at the blue line so you should have space.
3) You retain the options to shoot and skate which you lose in the corner
4) Your teammates are rushing the middle and you stopping on the boards will draw attention away from it opening space.
5) Skating to the corner takes so much time that the opposing forwards catch up and any advantage of the rush is lost.

- If you play D and your are in the corner.. STAY THERE!

- When on the rush, but no man advantage.. the 2nd man back need to take the half boards.. and play form the play from there.

- Use the boards to pass until you get use to passing across open ice.

- When skate in on the wing with the puck and there is a defender or two between you and the forwards in the slot.. DON'T FORCE THE PASS TO HIM. Just drop it back to the man coming in behind you, and have him either shoot or pass it to that forward. The rushes aren't as reliable as they were in NHL09, you actually need to look to set up an offense.. and not just the rush and retreat.

- Learn how to forecheck. Here is how it is. The first number is the amount of "Deep" Forwards. If it is 1 the DEEPEST forward check the puck carrier and the 2 other forwards check the break out guys. If is 2, the two Deepest forwards stay deep, one check the puck carrier the other checks the next deepest man. that middle number is the two forwards that stay in the zone at the blue line and gobble up the loose puck or pick off interceptions or break up the rush. The last number, well thats the defense, they should be between the blue line and the center line normally.

- Second off.. standing at the blue line doesn't mean you always should get the pass. Also if the defense is carrying the puck with a full head of steam and you’re just standing... stay standing and let him carry it in.

peterb0y said:

Pass back to defense, in the neutral zone, and let them lead the breakout.

Offensive defense, fuck yeah

It says breakOUT not breakAWAY. But yeah, give the puck to the dmen, have them dump it and have the fast forwards chase it. We could learn a lot from this.

Seriously, my head hurts when I think about how much more fun (and just flat out BETTER) this game would be if there was an online co-op vs. computer feature.

PBY

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
It says breakOUT not breakAWAY. But yeah, give the puck to the dmen, have them dump it and have the fast forwards chase it. We could learn a lot from this.

Seriously, my head hurts when I think about how much more fun (and just flat out BETTER) this game would be if there was an online co-op vs. computer feature.
details, details

PBY

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
Attention to detail is the difference between life without parole and skipping your way to another frat party to spread your unwanted affection on some poor girl.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

PBY

Banned
we're on right now, if anyone wants to join
ie: Marvie, stop playing fallout

edit: good games pheenix, nice hat trick

PBY

Banned
is anyone gonna be on tonight? i know its college night, but i'm staying in to fight off the flu
rape-itis

Marvie_3

Banned
I have to post this from my blackberry, but apparently there are some huge kinks in the internetz in my area and that's what has been causing my connection problems and some of the lag. Hopefully this crap will be cleared up tomorrow, but I'm not going to be playing until its fixed. No point in me causing problems for everyone else because I have a shitty ISP....

Top Bottom