• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF NHL 10 EASHL Team (X360)

Marvie_3 said:
I have to post this from my blackberry, but apparently there are some huge kinks in the internetz in my area and that's what has been causing my connection problems and some of the lag. Hopefully this crap will be cleared up tomorrow, but I'm not going to be playing until its fixed. No point in me causing problems for everyone else because I have a shitty ISP....

God damn it Marvie. Tether your xbox into your blackberry. This is hockey we're talking about here.

Marvie_3

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
God damn it Marvie. Tether your xbox into your blackberry. This is hockey we're talking about here.
If Sprint's network wasn't complete shit around here I would. Shit, dial-up would be faster than the connection I could get tethering my blackberry. :lol

Here's something else I found useful from Operation Sports. Those guys rule. This shit is important because we:
  • tend to get caught with our pants down because of odd-man rushes;
  • let people sit in our zone for 10 minutes before we get a clear;
  • seemingly consistently beaten on time of possession.
While some of that has to do with our getting screwed by god-like stick lifts, a good amount of it may be everyone not understanding their role defensively. At least for me: I'm a terrible player positionally and I admit that--even though the game keeps lying and giving me As for position score. Anyway, I found this useful.

Positioning tips said:
  • Take your defensive zone, cut it into 4 quarters.
    • Wingers, if the puck is on your side, you should be somewhere between the half boards and the opposing defenseman so you can be an outlet. If the puck is on the other side, you should drop to the high slot but still be within range of their dman.
    • Centers, support the puck. This does not mean chase it everywhere, it means angle the puck to the boards and board play the guy. Always stay between the man with the puck and the net and do not chase to the point, the winger is there for a reason. Instead, help clear the front of the net.
    • Dmen, if the puck is on your side play your man aggressive and if it is on the other side, stay in front of your net and clear anyone that comes near you.
  • Protect the posts dmen
  • Set-up a wall on the blue line (only with good 2-way forwards), only make checks if you're sure your hit will knock the skater off the puck.
  • Keep pucks in the offensive zone, cover your side boards
  • In most cases dmen, you want to be the last man out of your D zone, while getting to the offensive blue line as fast as possible to provide support for your forwards (along with your D partner).

Anyway, once again (and forever more), fuck this game for not having a team-practice option. Fuck it real good and hard. Fuck it so good and hard that even Peterb0y won't be tempted to rape it later because of how good and hard it was fucked.

RS4-

I'll get on later since I finally beat Uncharted 2.

I have to admit, I do go out of my way to make the hit at times. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
Anyway, once again (and forever more), fuck this game for not having a team-practice option. Fuck it real good and hard. Fuck it so good and hard that even Peterb0y won't be tempted to rape it later because of how good and hard it was fucked.
:lol :lol

I think the defensive zone positioning is something we REALLY need to work on. Too often it seems like there are 3 or 4 of us bunched up in one spot chasing the puck, allowing the other team to move the puck around too easily in the zone. This leads to us never getting the puck and the opponent dominating our zone.

2mfghub.jpg

This is how we should be. NO ONE should be beyond the blue line. Play defense. If you're a wing and positioned correctly, you're automatically going to be in good position for a rush the other way. If you're cherry picking, it's like a constant penalty kill for anyone who IS playing defense.

Dmen, if the puck is on your side play your man aggressive and if it is on the other side, stay in front of your net and clear anyone that comes near you.
Protect the posts dmen
Doing both of these properly will cut down on rebound goals and especially cross crease goals. If someone is in front of the net, beat the shit out of them. You can practically kill someone if they're out front, and even if you do get the occasional interference call, it's still better than letting the other team stand there and get those easy ass goals all day.

Keep pucks in the offensive zone, cover your side boards
This. Too often, we lose the offensive zone because the Dmen(AI included) aren't covering the boards. Dmen need to focus more on keeping the puck in and watching for cherry pickers.

Another thing we ALL need to work on is pinning. I've played over 200 games and I'll easily admit that it's still hard to get used to after not having the mechanic in hockey games for the last 20 years. But we need to be pinning opposing puck carriers and even guys right next to the puck(yes, you can get away with this). We have to do this especially when they're breaking out down the side boards. It's painfully obvious you can't check anyone against the boards in this game, so pinning them is about the only option. It slows down their momentum and lets the rest of our team get caught back up on defense, preventing any odd man rushes. We get beat on rushes far too often and I think with pinning and proper defensive positioning, we could cut down on a ton of it.

We also need to dump the puck in more. Too often we try to carry the puck in and either get checked or get stick lifted and lose the puck. We're all guilty of this. Dumping the puck in at least gets the puck deep in the zone. It may just give the puck to the other team at times, but we're really good at forechecking and I think we can create a lot of chances this way.

I think overall we're playing a hell of a lot better than we were when we started out. If we get better at incorporating these strategies into our game as a team, pretty soon we're gonna be eating lightning and crapping thunder!
i6iej7.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
I think we should also play some GAF vs GAF team play games as practice. During those we can beat it into each other's brains about playing responsible hockey and using these strategies effectively. Even using a bit of tough love(not Peterboy's type of tough love), but just be a bit harsh if we need to.

Marvie_3 said:
I think we should also play some GAF vs GAF team play games as practice. During those we can beat it into each other's brains about playing responsible hockey and using these strategies effectively. Even using a bit of tough love (not Peterboy's type of tough love), but just be a bit harsh if we need to.

Great post above, man...also: fucking maximum :lol to the bold.

oh and another thing i noticed, we really do try to force it into the slot too much...we should pass it to the point more. we gotta take that out of our offense unless its a 2 on 1...

i'd love to play defense, but if i do i'm going to make my dude a great passer so that the offense doesn't have to worry about puck chasing near our goal.

marvie stop ignoring my spamming invites and playing fallout 3!!

jred2k

Anybody going to jump on tonight around 12:30 or 1? Between Thanksgiving last weekend and Uncharted 2 this week I haven't gotten to play any GAF games in a while. Hopefully we can get a few people on tonight to practice defending together better.

jred2k said:
Anybody going to jump on tonight around 12:30 or 1? Between Thanksgiving last weekend and Uncharted 2 this week I haven't gotten to play any GAF games in a while. Hopefully we can get a few people on tonight to practice defending together better.

we are on right now

Marvie_3

Banned
Peterboy, you should listen to the Jim Rome Show more. You'd learn about the term B.I.S.P. People were trying to get him to name his race horse "BISP" one day. :lol

i've never gone through such a rough streak of games that i had to suggest playing intrasquads so a few of us could feel winners :lol

PBY

Banned
ph33nix said:
i've never gone through such a rough streak of games that i had to suggest playing intrasquads so a few of us could feel winners :lol
Wow tonight was rough- if we were playing football, we'd be the redskins

Marvie_3

Banned
Some good games this afternoon. Would have been 3 straight wins if those buttholes hadn't quit after we scored a minute and a half into the game. Peterb0y's name change is fuckin perfect. :lol :lol

Anyone know who PageTwo STM and Poolsharker are?

Holy fuck ph33nix!! You've played 10 less games than me but you have almost 1000 more shots. :lol :lol :lol

Marvie_3 said:
Some good games this afternoon. Would have been 3 straight wins if those buttholes hadn't quit after we scored a minute and a half into the game. Peterb0y's name change is fuckin perfect. :lol :lol

Anyone know who PageTwo STM and Poolsharker are?

Holy fuck ph33nix!! You've played 10 less games than me but you have almost 1000 more shots. :lol :lol :lol

what can i say i'm a chucker :lol

Marvie_3 said:

Hardyboy and I had a couple wins yesterday afternoon too. I like playing earlier in the day.
What is Peterboy's new name? Peter Bisp?

"Rapist'in Sweats"?

I want to try goalie once in a while.

Let's do some skirmishes so I can get some practice. (Or you can just let me go for it during an EASHL game if you don't mind your +/-.)

Top Bottom