• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF NHL 10 EASHL Team (X360)

Marvie_3 said:
True, but you can't win if you're getting shutout.

Well, I like Pheenix's giant monster dude.

I think we need somebody on our team that dedicates a lot of points to checking and aggressiveness. It would be rad to have a giant banhammer running around destroying other teams and making them easier to knock off of the puck. (On the other side of that, everyone needs to put some points into toughness so that we don't lose games because we take two hits and then miss passes or lose the puck when we're breathed on.)

Marvie_3

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
Well, I like Pheenix's giant monster dude.

I think we need somebody on our team that dedicates a lot of points to checking and aggressiveness. It would be rad to have a giant banhammer running around destroying other teams and making them easier to knock off of the puck. (On the other side of that, everyone needs to put some points into toughness so that we don't lose games because we take two hits and then miss passes or lose the puck when we're breathed on.)
I've been playing as a power forward again. Some of the hits I doled out last night would attest to that. I'm going to redo my attributes to get more of a scoring touch back though.

Marvie_3

Banned
New tuner JUST came out. Everyone was disconnected from the EA servers so it could be uploaded.

......Yes, I'm still awake playing NHL at 5am. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
And the tuner update didn't seem to fix a fucking thing. Unscreened slapshots still beat the goalie way too much and the goalies still attempt stupid desperation saves for no reason. Nice work EA.

Looks like they cut the number of pauses for each team so at least some good came out of this mess.

Edit: Nevermind. They didn't even do that.

My butt. said:
All modes:
-Poke check effectiveness increased
-Ease of tripping a player when poke check lowered
-Goalie tuning to prevent some exploit shots
-Shot accuracy increased

EASHL/OTP
-Puck control down decreased (still higher than pre-V1.03)
-Acceleration decreased
-Top skating speed increased
-Pass error decreased
-Pass speed increased

Versus
-Acceleration decreased slightly
-Puck control down (still higher than pre-V1.03)
-Deflections increased (same as EASHL/OTP now)

Offline (V1.03 only)
-Screen effect increased
-Range of acceleration slider increased. The lowest value is 25% lower than before the highest is the same.
-Deflections increased (same as EASHL/OTP now)

As always we will be monitoring feedback and watching how the game plays with the latest tuning and continuing to make adjustments as necessary.

Welp, there you go.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Has anyone tried fooling around in practice mode just doing breakaways? Goalies are so funny, literally just moving the puck over to the backhand is enough to launch them into a huge desperation save :lol

Me and my friend just started playing club games again, any tips for scoring since the tuner change before todays?

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
Has anyone tried fooling around in practice mode just doing breakaways? Goalies are so funny, literally just moving the puck over to the backhand is enough to launch them into a huge desperation save :lol
Yeah, the goalies are fuckin broken now. I was in an OTP game last night and my team made a pass from the top of one face off circle to the other face off dot and the goalie went down and did some weird ass splits animation. It's ridiculous.
Nozdeuce said:
Me and my friend just started playing club games again, any tips for scoring since the tuner change before todays?
You're a GAFer and you're not on the GAF team?

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
:lol replied to your PM, if you want I can continue to list my amazing pros/cons here :p
Everyone has cons. Ph33nix has the fewest. Wouldn't have any if he could stop tripping everyone. :lol

PBY

Banned
bleh, i wish i could play tonight- the last club games we played were really fun..... but i have to write a goddam paper about black institutions

Nozdeuce

That was really fun, I've never done eashl with so many people before. First game was pretty far from what I'm capable of. Second game was more in line with what I can do, because I've only ever played eashl with one other person I tend to make crazy stretch passes or crazy across the body passes in the neutral zone. So uhh always expect a pass :lol If I end up the left wing with the puck I usually try for a cheated wrister, but if I'm going up along the right I try to either pass or shoot it low so it rebounds out to the left. This is my first season playing eashl so i've pretty much been weened on set plays for cheated goals :lol Originally I just took it up the wing and dropped back to my friend for an expoity point shot

Any suggestions on stuff I could do better? or at least try to? :lol

Also for some reason my party audio cut out as everyone was saying good night, so I'm actually not a douche :)

Marvie_3

Banned
Laserbot, you're the worst goalie ever.

Ok, not really. That last game was ridiculous though. Having a human goalie negates the wrist shot but because of the shitty AI dmen, the cross crease is still impossible to stop.

We really need to get a human Dman or two who think defense first at all times. If we could get someone in there clearing that crease out, we'd pretty much have all the shitty goals covered. I think we're deep at forward but thin on defense. I like playing defense but I think I've got my player tuned perfectly for offense with the new tuner.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
Any suggestions on stuff I could do better? or at least try to? :lol
Normally there's a bit of an adjustment period with new players but you seemed to fit in really well right away. It seems like you play a pretty similar style to ours and other than maybe getting more familiar with everyone on the team and their tendencies, there really isn't anything you need to do differently. We combined for 10 points that game so I think any adjustment period was short lived and we hit the ground running. :lol

Nozdeuce said:
Also for some reason my party audio cut out as everyone was saying good night, so I'm actually not a douche :)
Yeah, my internet connection completely cut out for a minute so I didn't even notice. :lol

Marvie_3 said:
Normally there's a bit of an adjustment period with new players but you seemed to fit in really well right away. It seems like you play a pretty similar style to ours and other than maybe getting more familiar with everyone on the team and their tendencies, there really isn't anything you need to do differently. We combined for 10 points that game so I think any adjustment period was short lived and we hit the ground running. :lol

Yeah, my internet connection completely cut out for a minute so I didn't even notice. :lol

i think i am going to take up golf, my hockey skills are shit to bad where i grew up there was no sheets of ice. well i would play just d and only d but marv thinks im shit, its cool, ill go back to punching inmates in the neck...:D :D :D

Marvie_3

Banned
Hardyboy1224 said:
i think i am going to take up golf, my hockey skills are shit to bad where i grew up there was no sheets of ice. well i would play just d and only d but marv thinks im shit, its cool, ill go back to punching inmates in the neck...:D :D :D
I've never said you were shit and we should tee it up sometime. Get Tiger Woods 10 for Wii. You should get me a job where you work. I wanna get paid to punch fuckers in the neck. :lol

I just think we need to really get positions set. We need to have a full-time defenseman or two. We need a dedicated center that can load up their faceoff stat, win a high percentage of face-offs, and park his ass in front of the net for screens/rebounds/deflections, and we also need wings who have a good on-ice rapport.

Laserbot is our #1 goalie. I'll fill in as #2(literally and figuratively) when he's not around, because we NEED human goalies. The new tuner is scary with an AI goalie in net. I think we need to build out from there. It's easier to build chemistry when everyone has a set place and isn't always jumping around to different positions.

Nozdeuce

Marvie_3 said:
:lol the first game was definitely an adjustment for me, I literally have no moves when it comes to sick dekes or deking the goalie so me leading the charge without knowing where backup was was pretty iffy for me. The second game though I had the extra forward and for whatever reason I've always skewed pass over shoot, so before with just my friend I wouldve just shot, prolly aiming low for a rebound out to the left, but instead I passed it, which thankfully worked out well, I've never really managed a successful pass across like that, nevermind two. I'll try to be more vocal as I play more, me and my friend never used voice chat so it's quite the switch for me :lol The second game definitely was more par for the course for me though.

Do we have any set plays or general scoring strategies? I've lurked this thread for a while so I've seen the amazing diagrams, but playing with my friend I'm basically used to trying a cheated wrister, trying to force a rebound or some random magical shot :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
:lol the first game was definitely an adjustment for me, I literally have no moves when it comes to sick dekes or deking the goalie so me leading the charge without knowing where backup was was pretty iffy for me. The second game though I had the extra forward and for whatever reason I've always skewed pass over shoot, so before with just my friend I wouldve just shot, prolly aiming low for a rebound out to the left, but instead I passed it, which thankfully worked out well, I've never really managed a successful pass across like that, nevermind two. I'll try to be more vocal as I play more, me and my friend never used voice chat so it's quite the switch for me :lol The second game definitely was more par for the course for me though.

Do we have any set plays or general scoring strategies? I've lurked this thread for a while so I've seen the amazing diagrams, but playing with my friend I'm basically used to trying a cheated wrister, trying to force a rebound or some random magical shot :lol
It's much easier to work out an in-game strategy with voice chat. If you've got an idea for something, shout it out. We're pretty open minded on the strategy front. :lol

We don't really have any set plays other than a couple zone clearing plays. When someone has the puck behind our net, the wings need to cover the half boards. The player behind the net will slap it around to whichever wing is open so they can clear the zone. Our only other offensive strategy was called "get it to ph33nix" and that works pretty well too. :lol

With this new tuner, the Dmen are going to have to play a much bigger role in the offense. Deflections and screens work much better with the new settings. The tuner has also made a slapshot from the blue line, like Hardyboy loves, more effective as well. Couple the increased screen effect and a crushing slapshot from the point and the combo could be lethal.

Nozdeuce

Marvie_3 said:
It's much easier to work out an in-game strategy with voice chat. If you've got an idea for something, shout it out. We're pretty open minded on the strategy front. :lol
Oh god I have 0 strategies, I just do what I'm told and if given the chance try for a wrister or go completely rogue and try for a weird slapper, otherwise I try to set someone up by passing or aiming a rebound their way :lol

Marvie_3 said:
We don't really have any set plays other than a couple zone clearing plays. When someone has the puck behind our net, the wings need to cover the half boards. The player behind the net will slap it around to whichever wing is open so they can clear the zone. Our only other offensive strategy was called "get it to ph33nix" and that works pretty well too. :lol
:lol That I kinda caught on to though a bit late

Marvie_3 said:
With this new tuner, the Dmen are going to have to play a much bigger role in the offense. Deflections and screens work much better with the new settings. The tuner has also made a slapshot from the blue line, like Hardyboy loves, more effective as well. Couple the increased screen effect and a crushing slapshot from the point and the combo could be lethal.
This works for me, if I feel like I can't just flat out score (almost always!) or set someone up I tend to pass back to the point and the move in for a screen.

I have to go pass out now, I drank way too much too quickly during/between/during games :lol

The last few nights have been shit cause I've had to play league games for Madden/2k and I have not been able to be a night owl as much...hopefully changes tomorrow :(

Nozdeuce said:
I have to go pass out now, I drank way too much too quickly during/between/during games :lol

Ya, you'll fit in just fine.

Also, is it just me or are there a disproportionate amount of :lols in the last 5 or 10 posts?

Nozdeuce

SnakeswithLasers said:
Ya, you'll fit in just fine.

Also, is it just me or are there a disproportionate amount of :lols in the last 5 or 10 posts?
I certainly hope to, last night was really fun, and par for the course for me output wise since the new tuners. Me and my friend hadn't played for weeks and then the first team we play quit after I scored 2 wristers in a row and he managed to throw in a couple awful goals in the first period.

Yeah that's my fault, but now you all know I'm not an axe murderer. Don't hold back the puppy licking spam on my account.

Nozdeuce said:
I certainly hope to, last night was really fun, and par for the course for me output wise since the new tuners. Me and my friend hadn't played for weeks and then the first team we play quit after I scored 2 wristers in a row and he managed to throw in a couple awful goals in the first period.

Maybe you were playing against us...

Yeah that's my fault, but now you all know I'm not an axe murderer. Don't hold back the puppy licking spam on my account.

Peterboy is a rapist and he posts smileys all the time. I'm not discounting your axe murderer status just yet.

Nozdeuce

SnakeswithLasers said:
Maybe you were playing against us...
Bah, human goalies are the bane of my existence. I don't really score much as it is, but I score less against human goalies.

Peterboy is a rapist and he posts smileys all the time. I'm not discounting your axe murderer status just yet.
Hmm a valid concern. I'm really not an axe murderer though. If I was the Mounties and their funny hats would be after me, and they aren't.

Anything anyone wanna know about me? Or Canada? Being a good Ottawa boy I like the Sens, and the arena really isn't halfway between Ottawa and Toronto like everyone thinks. I don't really like any of the other Canadian teams (hate the Canucks the most) but I do have a soft spot for the Hawks. I don't like the Leafs but Ron Wilson and Brian Burke tend to be good times. Ron Wilson is amazing in this incredible anti drinking and driving ad

i love playing d because i dont care about scoreing, id rather get assist. and barnett now can check like crazy, i didnt get to play d last night but i want to try with my new style i am going to try to tweek my guy more and more i wish i had more boost i have none in gloves and only 1 in everything else

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
I have to go pass out now, I drank way too much too quickly during/between/during games
Just what we need, ANOTHER alcoholic on this team.

Nozdeuce said:
Toronto like everyone thinks. I don't really like any of the other Canadian teams (hate the Canucks the most) but I do have a soft spot for the Hawks
Stop kissing my ass.

I hate the Canucks too. Almost as much as I hate the Red Wings.

Hardyboy1224 said:
i love playing d because i dont care about scoreing, id rather get assist. and barnett now can check like crazy, i didnt get to play d last night but i want to try with my new style i am going to try to tweek my guy more and more i wish i had more boost i have none in gloves and only 1 in everything else
I really wish there were easier ways to unlock the boosts/equipment instead of single player/buying them. They should have an offline and online unlock.

What skills are you putting your attribute points into? There's only a few you really need to focus on for D.

SnakeswithLasers said:
I haven't noticed anything unusual.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I know how much you guys hating OTP games against each other, but can we maybe do a few with me in net so I can get some practice?

Noz seems like he can work the cross crease pretty well, so maybe we can get someone with him and then Hardyboy with me (to practice defending) and do a little work.

Marvie_3

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
I know how much you guys hating OTP games against each other, but can we maybe do a few with me in net so I can get some practice?

Noz seems like he can work the cross crease pretty well, so maybe we can get someone with him and then Hardyboy with me (to practice defending) and do a little work.
I'm always up for OTP games. Noz fit in pretty well already but I think a little practice never hurt anyone. Since you're playing goal, just tell us what kind of offense you want us to run so we can patch up any weak spots you think you might have.

Maybe peterboy should play RD since you practically have to hold a gun to his balls to get him to shoot. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
I've also been thinking about the toughness/aggressiveness stats. I think it would be more beneficial for forwards to skew their points towards toughness and defensemen towards aggressiveness.

Forwards moving into the zone and driving the net are going to get checked way more than a defenseman covering the blue line and need to be able to withstand punishment. On the flip side, the defensemen that are hammering people down in our zone need to do as much "damage" as possible to the opposing team.

Nozdeuce

Marvie_3 said:
Just what we need, ANOTHER alcoholic on this team.
I blame EA, I was kinda okay at the start of the season with the point shots exploit, but everything since has been brutal and more than reason enough to drink.

Marvie_3 said:
Stop kissing my ass.

I hate the Canucks too. Almost as much as I hate the Red Wings.
My main problem with the Canucks is because of the timezone difference they're always part of the doubleheader, and aside from Kesler I pretty much don't like any of them. I really do like the Hawks, they're super Canadian! More Canadian than the Canucks at least. It sucks though I don't get to see too many Hawks games, I really should have gone to the game against the Sens :(

SnakeswithLasers said:
To be completely honest those two cross passes were pretty lucky, I didn't think I would score from where I was, and I knew a rebound wouldn't reach the left and I wasn't sure what was happening behind me for a pass back to the point so I just crossed my fingers and sent it over. That said I think I'm better at passing than shooting so that's definitely something I'd be happy to work on with everyone. I'm kind of over confident with passing right now and haven't gotten used to the new tuners yet, but before I was all about crazy high risk/reward passes and generally odd passes in the neutral zone, which I kinda did in the first game to the AI center but he's useless.

Marvie_3 said:
I'm always up for OTP games. Noz fit in pretty well already but I think a little practice never hurt anyone. Since you're playing goal, just tell us what kind of offense you want us to run so we can patch up any weak spots you think you might have.
It's okay you're allowed to complain about how bad I am on defense, my friend always does. It's still cool for him to join up right? If so I'll get him to send a request whenever he gets around to it. He reads Gaf, he's just been too useless to register.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
I blame EA, I was kinda okay at the start of the season with the point shots exploit, but everything since has been brutal and more than reason enough to drink.
Sounds about like us. :lol

Nozdeuce said:
My main problem with the Canucks is because of the timezone difference they're always part of the doubleheader, and aside from Kesler I pretty much don't like any of them. I really do like the Hawks, they're super Canadian! More Canadian than the Canucks at least. It sucks though I don't get to see too many Hawks games, I really should have gone to the game against the Sens :(
I can't stand the Canucks because their team is a bunch of whiny bitches are their fans are more than obnoxious. It was so awesome to stomp them in the playoffs last year.

Nozdeuce said:
To be completely honest those two cross passes were pretty lucky, I didn't think I would score from where I was, and I knew a rebound wouldn't reach the left and I wasn't sure what was happening behind me for a pass back to the point so I just crossed my fingers and sent it over. That said I think I'm better at passing than shooting so that's definitely something I'd be happy to work on with everyone. I'm kind of over confident with passing right now and haven't gotten used to the new tuners yet, but before I was all about crazy high risk/reward passes and generally odd passes in the neutral zone, which I kinda did in the first game to the AI center but he's useless.
The passing has gotten better with the new tuners but practice is always good.

Nozdeuce said:
It's okay you're allowed to complain about how bad I am on defense, my friend always does. It's still cool for him to join up right? If so I'll get him to send a request whenever he gets around to it. He reads Gaf, he's just been too useless to register.
Yeah its fine. He can't read this thread if he isn't registered though.

Marvie_3 said:
I really wish there were easier ways to unlock the boosts/equipment instead of single player/buying them. They should have an offline and online unlock.

What skills are you putting your attribute points into? There's only a few you really need to focus on for D.l

is there any web sites that walk you through to get ur guy at the highest he can be with the points you have?

i put them in slap shot 90, and accuarcy 80, then checking 94 and agg. 80, speed 86 and dur, and end. 80

Nozdeuce

Marvie_3 said:
The passing has gotten better with the new tuners but practice is always good.
Hmmm better passing I can definitely work with, I really think it's the only thing I do well :lol
Marvie_3 said:
Yeah its fine. He can't read this thread if he isn't registered though.
K cool, he'll shoot off a request later. He can play anything but goalie and I've been working him hard taxing his defensive skills to the max. Unlike me he actually knows what's going on, so he's more reliable and plays better positionally.

I'm pretty much available for playing whenever, and I'll at least always wear my headset to listen but won't always talk (I multi task a lot)

Hardyboy1224 said:
is there any web sites that walk you through to get ur guy at the highest he can be with the points you have?

i put them in slap shot 90, and accuarcy 80, then checking 94 and agg. 80, speed 86 and dur, and end. 80

Generally I just stop spending xp in anything once it costs 15 xp to advance it. Even at 10 xp per stat point I really slow down.

Don't ever put points into Durability and Endurance. Those are useless.

What are you trying to build your guy as? (Forward, Defense? Tough Guy, Offensive D, Power forward?)

SnakeswithLasers said:
Generally I just stop spending xp in anything once it costs 15 xp to advance it. Even at 10 xp per stat point I really slow down.

Don't ever put points into Durability and Endurance. Those are useless.

What are you trying to build your guy as? (Forward, Defense? Tough Guy, Offensive D, Power forward?)

Tough Guy, so i can clear them out in front of u

Marvie_3

Banned
Hardyboy1224 said:

Here's a chart that shows where each player type starts:

2lvbxts.jpg

Hardyboy1224 said:
Tough Guy, so i can clear them out in front of u
Tough guy is useless unless you're going to fight a lot. Your aggressiveness and toughness are a bit higher than the other player types but you sacrifice a lot of the other attributes. If I were you I'd try playing as a grinder. The stats are even or better than a defensive dman in everything but offense. The passing stat doesn't seem to factor no matter how many points you put in, so concentrate on slap power/acc and puck control(for picking up loose pucks in front of the net). If you're not feeling that after a few games, then try Offensive Dman.

As far as your attribute points go:

Offense - puck control and slap shot power/accuracy
Defense - add to aggressiveness, shot blocking, and checking
Athleticism - try to keep agility and acceleration and speed pretty close to equal but with a few more points in agility and acceleration. As laserbot said, durability and endurance do nothing online so don't waste points on them.

Nozdeuce said:
K cool, he'll shoot off a request later. He can play anything but goalie and I've been working him hard taxing his defensive skills to the max. Unlike me he actually knows what's going on, so he's more reliable and plays better positionally.
It might take awhile for him to get accepted though. Sometimes it takes months to get approval to GAF. There is a link to the team page on EA's website in the OP. There's a message board there if he wants to post anything for the time being.

You may want to actually go with grinder, as it appears they have just as good checking, aggressiveness and balance as a tough guy, but are a bit better on the offensive side. Their cost to upgrade aggressiveness is a bit more than tough guy, but...I can't imagine you'll get that beyond 90 in any world.

Check the table here for starters http://www.eashlforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7813

Or look at this one which is really in-depth, but it also shows how much points it costs to upgrade.

EDIT: Welp, looks like Marvie and I are in agreement there... Go with grinder. Clear the crease, make saves.

DOUBLE EDDDDDDIIITTT:

It might take awhile for him to get accepted though. Sometimes it takes months to get approval to GAF. There is a link to the team page on EA's website in the OP. There's a message board there if he wants to post anything for the time being.

I think he meant he'll shoot off a request to you to join the team. Not to join gaf...

Top Bottom