• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF NHL 15 Boycotters (NHL 14 EASHL)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
LOL apparently I got my name reported as profane.

Mr Intangibles.

HOW IS THAT PROFANE

We need to work on defense past Viz. Aces and I facing constant breakaways and one timers when Viz isn't playing isn't going to work

Smiley90

We need to work on defense past Viz. Aces and I facing constant breakaways and one timers when Viz isn't playing isn't going to work

fuck you too

I'll play defense if we have more forwards on

and fuck you I play decent defense, I was on with Viz for the shutouts

yes you guys both pulled equally on that rope you're right

you were fine that day. the defense tonight by whoever was playing was brutal though. too aggressive, not in position and too slow to recover.

Smiley90

yes you guys both pulled equally on that rope you're right

you were fine that day. the defense tonight by whoever was playing was brutal though. too aggressive, not in position and too slow to recover.

GEEEEFOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

he was playing LD though :lol

And coincidentally, nearly all of the breakaways and open men on the side of the net were on the other side.

Maybe I can shift to D when aces is in goal. Assuming blues dude can score more regularly once his player picks up cards.

I'd have to get rid of my goon build though. :(

Marvie_3

Banned
So.

Clearly having an oustanding debut night. Thanks for the compliments.
Don't worry. It takes awhile to get used to the game. Best thing to do is keep playing drop ins if other people aren't around. It's good practice plus the games count towards unlocking your boosts/stat points/etc.

Aw shit

I wish I still had my 360
Me too. I miss watching you shoot the puck over the glass when you're inside the crease. :(

Our offense needs work too. It's an uncoordinated mess a lot of the time. Granted, we have some new people and most of us haven't played together in a couple years so the chemistry isn't there yet, but there are some really simple things that we get wrong.

We get way too bunched up a lot and it limits what we can do when we have 3 people crowded in front of the net. We need to spread out and get open so we can move the puck. Defensemen need to make sure they're covering the boards on their side of the ice so we don't lose the puck out of the zone too.

Also, we need to watch the turnovers when we're going up the ice. Forwards get way too far up the ice and leave the defense with nothing but dangerous passing options. We also need to get better about not skating straight up the ice every time. Too often, the player with the puck just goes straight up into the defenders . If we need to, we can circle back around or drop the puck back to a defenseman so we can reset the rush.

Yeah, I think it's a lot of getting used to each other. Like, Smiley, Griff and I came from a primarily speed based offense where cross creases were set up first and foremost with an occasional snipe by the wingers. So we're used to that. Others may not be.

Blues fan, only thing I noticed with you is you tend to get wrecked entering the zone and turn it over. We all do it once in a while, but you'll learn quickly that since the dump is broken in this game, look to see if other options are open before you get destroyed.

Also, forwards can help the D out by coming down like Marv said, but st the same time, I also tend to bail as soon as the other team gets possession and play as an extra dman while the other team is transitioning. Helps gum up a ton of teams when you're facing 3+ people at the opposing blue line.

Obviously, poke checking to the glitch spots above the circles before they even get there helps a ton too.

FUBAR, your player will be slow as shit. Stay back and play conservative and use stick checking to play. You don't have the speed to get back right now if you miss a check or are out of position.

Do you still have that faceoffs guide too for the centers, Marv?

Marvie_3

Banned
KULSZPU.gif

I'll see if I still have that guide somewhere. Viz might have it too.

naeS

Thanks for the tips guys. Haven't played since EASHL since 12, and it's different. I have no problem tailoring my game to the way you guys play, just speak up.

Haha yeah my play was a bit rough last night. I'll try to do some drop in games tonight. Hopefully I can finally get a win and move up to amateur 2.

My guys speed is like 58 or something but stick checking is in the high 70s. I just struggle because I'm not used to playing online and the slight input lag is completely throwing me off. Have to get past that.

Marvie_3

Banned
Haha yeah my play was a bit rough last night. I'll try to do some drop in games tonight. Hopefully I can finally get a win and move up to amateur 2.

My guys speed is like 58 or something but stick checking is in the high 70s. I just struggle because I'm not used to playing online and the slight input lag is completely throwing me off. Have to get past that.
The input lag thing sucks because it's not consistent from game to game or it even varies in the same game. It's usually not a huge issue after a few minutes but then some games are so bad that it takes all game to adjust.

If we get enough people on some nights, we can always play some GAF vs GAF games so you don't have to suffer through drop ins. There's only a couple people on the club with legend 3's so it'd help out everybody.

Tips to help our defensemen

1- turn auto back skate off in controller options menu. This way you will not got stuck backwards when someone is coming at you fast

2- in the offensive zone stay at the blue line for the most part and act as a pressure valve. Let the forwards handle the offense unless there is a golden opportunity for you to jump in.

3- in the offensive zone if a forward walks the puck down towards the blue line right towards you back out of the zone in case it's turned over so you don't get beat for a breakaway

4- in the neutral zone you need to read whether or not someone is coming at you with speed. If so you need to let off LT turn and skate down towards the goalie to ensure they don't blow past you

5- if the other team is slowly moving thru the neutral zone you need to pressure them at the blue line with poke checks to make it difficult for them to enter the zone. Even if you don't take the puck off them you can throw their timing off causing an offside call

6- in the defensive zone I usually play strong side right in front of the goalie and take away the lanes to any cross crease passes. If someone makes it into the high slot or skates in from the wall I step up to try to force them off the spot where wrist shots are easy to score

7- I play a 100% finesse defenseman build (OFD). Defensively I only put points into Stick Check, Defensive Awareness and Discipline. This allows me to use poke check and stick lift whenever I want without repercussions as long as I am not behind the puckhandler. For offense you can postively affect the game most with accurate stretch passes to our forwards so allocate most of your points into passing and offensive awareness.

Tips 1-6 can apply to someone that likes to body check as well. You just have to pick your spots because it can put you out of position if you don't knock the puck handler down.

I'll be around later to play

Also, if you're too far away to step up into the glitch spot, poke checking and aiming it with LS towards that spot sometimes works.

I'll be on after the NHL GAF fantasy draft.

So is this a hardcore thing? Or is this a way to play online hockey with multiple other players and have fun? (Which cannot even be done with NHL 15 for xbone or PS4! Grrrrr. And fuck you 2K Sports for not even trying with hockey this gen! You could have owned hocky for 2 years in a row just by recompiling NHL 2K10 for the xbone & PS4 and including all the features!)

I'd like to play some hockey but I'm sure I'll suck since I haven't played it in a while and when I did, I was an NHL 2Kn guy (The last game I played was NHL 2K10 but I do have NHL 07 and NHL 08). Would I fit in?

I have an x360, so I'd just have to pick it NHL 14 for the xbox 360?

Edit- Info:
GAF: Speculawyer, Xbox Live: Speculawyer
Area: Northern California, SJ Sharks fan
Skill: I'm sure I'll suck. Bad.

Smiley90

So is this a hardcore thing? Or is this a way to play online hockey with multiple other players and have fun? (Which cannot even be done with NHL 15 for xbone or PS4! Grrrrr. And fuck you 2K Sports for not even trying with hockey this gen! You could have owned hocky for 2 years in a row just by recompiling NHL 2K10 for the xbone & PS4 and including all the features!)

I'd like to play some hockey but I'm sure I'll suck since I haven't played it in a while and when I did, I was an NHL 2Kn guy (The last game I played was NHL 2K10 but I do have NHL 07 and NHL 08). Would I fit in?

....... yes

Sounds like you've never tried EASHL. If you like hockey you owe it to yourself to pickup the game and join us. There's a reason people are up in arms over it not being in NHL15 current gen.

Join us my friend! A lawyer could be a valuable member if this boycott...

Sounds like you've never tried EASHL. If you like hockey you owe it to yourself to pickup the game and join us. There's a reason people are up in arms over it not being in NHL15 current gen.

Join us my friend! A lawyer could be a valuable member if this boycott...

OK . . . NHL 14 for xbox 360 ordered from Amazon.

Items Ordered Price
NHL 14 - Xbox 360 1 of: NHL 14 - Xbox 360

Should be here in a couple days.

Smiley90

OK . . . NHL 14 for xbox 360 ordered from Amazon.

Items Ordered Price
NHL 14 - Xbox 360 1 of: NHL 14 - Xbox 360

Should be here in a couple days.

good choice.

It'll be better than whatever NHL15 is trying to be.

good choice.

It'll be better than whatever NHL15 is trying to be.

Well on PS360, apparently it is just NHL 14 with new rosters.

On PS4Xbone, it is less than 1/2 the full game.

Perhaps I'll pick up a used copy for the PS4, but I can't support such a 1/2 assed effort after they skipped a year. (And again, fuck 2K sports for not even trying.)

Smiley90

Well on PS360, apparently it is just NHL 14 with new rosters.

On PS4Xbone, it is less than 1/2 the full game.

Perhaps I'll pick up a used copy for the PS4, but I can't support such a 1/2 assed effort after they skipped a year. (And again, fuck 2K sports for not even trying.)

half-assed is an overstatement

NHL 15 is so realistic that the fans even have shirts that illustrate the average intelligence of the fanbase.

It's in the game.™

Top Bottom