• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF NOVEMBER 2011 Pick-Up Post!! (Real pics or BAN!)! - 5 Year Anniversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simo

Eh..my major pick up was right at the end of October which was the result of getting a new-er car after my old banger's breaks went out and was well and truly fooked...
photo-6.JPG

So that gave me wheels to pick up this last night at the midnight release...
photo-11.JPG

photo-10.JPG

Monster packaging...steelbook...Nice! The replica Capt. Price field journal is a pretty cool addition too.

Number45

Leckan said:
Not even Panasonic Plasmas? Of course nothing is perfect but...
My only first hand exposure to Samsung (my dad and brother both own 50" Samsung plasmas) I can honestly say I'd NEVER consider buying Samsung. They're a couple of years old now, but the image retention when changing channels is horrific if any hard lines are on screen for more than a few seconds.

What technology is that screen though? It looks lovely. :)

TheContact

kx11 said:
Breaking Bad S-1-2-3 blu-ray

Just watched the pilot on NetFlix. It felt like it was an hour and a half but was only 44 minutes. Pretty cool show, I heard it gets intense. Will watch more.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
It's been a while since I played one. I still remember the first time I've got the first Xbox, on launch day. Played Halo: Combat Evolved all night and the next morning as well. It's been 10 years since that. And to be honest, I was never an Xbox fan. The Xbox brought so many western and americanized games, when all I wanted was to play Japanese games like adventure and RPG games. So I stayed with PS2/GameCube.

When the Xbox 360 came out, 6 months later I cave in and bought it. Times had passed and the game business had changed. Not many Japanese games made it to our shores. It was all about shooters and action-packed games. Even though I loved the Xbox 360, I sold mine a year later because I needed the money (college). I always knew that down the road, I would get the 360 again and buy all those exclusive games I wanted to play. The PS3 served me well during the wait.

OWLBp.jpg

So here it is. I bought one last Sunday and boy, is it awesome. The most impressive thing of all is that the hardware doesn't sound like an airplane taking off the pathway. No, I'm kidding. I really like what MS and Rare have done with the OS by adding Avatars and all that. It is really well done, unlike Wii's Mii integration. And while Xbox Live is not free, it has a lot of stuff to tide you over the price of admission.

I'm very glad to have the console once again. :)

To end this post. I've also got a few PS3 games from the Buy 2 Get 1 deal on Amazon last Friday. This, alongside the Xbox.. I'm really having an early Christmas.

C5be8.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DeadRockstar said:
Rising Star you rock!

Tm2c5l.jpg
So awesome! Thanks for posting. I forgot the EU version was coming out. I'll have to order it tonight.

kx11

Banned
carfo said:
Just watched the pilot on NetFlix. It felt like it was an hour and a half but was only 44 minutes. Pretty cool show, I heard it gets intense. Will watch more.

you will not belive how the 1st season will end , the other seasons are 5 times more intense than the 1st , best drama series EVER

carfo said:
The show is absolutely amazing, hope you enjoy!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
DhQuz.jpg

Yep, that's a copy of Dark Souls CE for $9.97. Saw it on the audit cart on my way out and my reaction was "HOLY SHIT! MINE!"

Unity2012 said:
20111108075412-1.jpg

After long research, I made up my mind and finally picked up our new TV last Friday. Samsung UN55D8000. Amazing PQ and features.

how is this for videogames? i was looking at one but i think ill be going for the PS/N 59D8000 as ive heard that plasma is better for less input lag and uniform colours etc.

how is your experience in this? have you tried a fighting game on it?

carfo said:
There's no better TV on the market right now. This thing is a beast!

it really isnt true. the Panasonic VT30 series, Sharp Elite and Samsung D8000 plasmas are all better, not including the Kuro's if you can get one second hand.

TheContact

Phat Michael said:
it really isnt true. the Panasonic VT30 series, Sharp Elite and Samsung D8000 plasmas are all better, not including the Kuro's if you can get one second hand.

Well IMO that Panasonic is overpriced. I don't like Sharp. In different circumstances, the SD8K Plasma might be better, but I am not a fan of plasma TVs for gaming, even the newer ones.

carfo said:
Well IMO that Panasonic is overpriced. I don't like Sharp. In different circumstances, the SD8K Plasma might be better, but I am not a fan of plasma TVs for gaming, even the newer ones.

I'm pretty damned happy with my Panny Plasma 50' ST30... Blacks are phenomenal as well as colors... all I hear as well from friends with similar 46' to 50' sets when they come over is how much better mine is...

Leckan

Number45 said:
My only first hand exposure to Samsung (my dad and brother both own 50" Samsung plasmas) I can honestly say I'd NEVER consider buying Samsung. They're a couple of years old now, but the image retention when changing channels is horrific if any hard lines are on screen for more than a few seconds.

What technology is that screen though? It looks lovely. :)

Not a fan of Samsung myself either. I don't know what it is but I just don't like their products for whatever reason. Panasonic Plasmas have their problems but all-in-all are clearly the best TV's money can buy in 2011, unless you happen to still find a 2008 Kuro which is nearly impossible anyway (and they don't have 3d if you care about that).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Nothing game related, but I did just put up these in my apartment this past weekend, to fill up some space on my walls:

My Batman #676 poster:

Hg1b9l.jpg

My roommate's Blackest Night poster:

1PdUWl.jpg

Cmagus said:
Any chance they made this region free?
They did!

Unity2012

Phat Michael said:
how is this for videogames? i was looking at one but i think ill be going for the PS/N 59D8000 as ive heard that plasma is better for less input lag and uniform colours etc.
how is your experience in this? have you tried a fighting game on it?

*From previous question: The TV is an LED/240hz 3D Macro Dimming Plus

LAG when using Game Mode, which turns off most of the picture enhancements, is pretty good; much better than I expected (I had my doubts after reading some videophiles forums).

I am by no means a hardcore MP gamer so I could not give you specific time-reaction details from a competitive point of view. The response time is fine and I've not felt a delay noticeable enough to affect my gameplay. What I can honestly say is games never looked so good. I feel like a little kid popping in all my games just to check them out... LOL. Nothing short of impressive, at least for me. I am very happy with my TV

**I first tried a Plasma, the PND8000 but did not do it for me. The PQ was definitely dimmer and not suitable for our bright rooms. Just a matter of preference--not better or worse just different. There is a TV out there for every taste. The thing is to find the one that makes you happy.

FloppyDelux said:
Hows Skyward Sword?
It's the leaked demo, head to SS review thread and many more impressions, but share of mine:

Flying: Soaring above the sky. Flapping is minimum and the sense of flying is really good, it looks gorgues.

Ghirahim: Kicked my ass. You need to be cunning and fast.

Normal dungeons: Involving. Fighting regular enemies is much more complex as they put up a good fight and you'll simply die if you waggle too much, the guy with axe was somewhat hard as he could predict my movement, much better than Red Steel 2. Equipment control is exciting too, say, beetle is pretty like a mini Sports Resort flying.

though, I had to recenter the contol quite often, but people say it is due to demo build (and since Resort swordplay was pretty decent, I'd say it is only demo)

Overall, I was impressed. Flying section, though very brief, maybe because it was very brief, left me WOWed. Ghirahim left me exhausted. Dungeon left me wanting more, for the first time in a zelda game I have played, I wanted more enemies coming at me solely to take them done.

Cmagus said:
Any chance they made this region free?

It is region free;

"The European version of Dodonpachi Resurrection Deluxe is headed for the Xbox 360 on November 4, 2011 and the game is region-free so it’s playable on North American Xbox 360 consoles. Please note however that the game won’t boot on a Japanese Xbox 360. The first printing of the game includes a bonus soundtrack CD bundled inside the packaging. "

Ordered mine!

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Unity2012 said:
20111108075412-1.jpg

After long research, I made up my mind and finally picked up our new TV last Friday. Samsung UN55D8000. Amazing PQ and features.

This will be my next TV unless sammy announces something better at ces but i doubt it. this tv is super badass and you junior are #WINNING

Azzurri

iamvin22 said:
This will be my next TV unless sammy announces something better at ces but i doubt it. this tv is super badass and you junior are #WINNING

Was looking at this TV too, but don't know if I really need it, hahah.

Gameboy415 said:
It's finally out!?!

I need to track down a copy! :)

Wow, thanks for the reminder - just tracked down a copy. A buddy of mine who used to work at Destineer tells me that they printed, at maximum, 30K units of the game. But he also says the print run could be as small as 5K. So, there ya go.

Phat Michael said:

True, also the Toshiba 55ZL1G is the best out there in my opinion but it's really expensive (~5000€)
the D8000 is great though.

carfo said:

well..the Sharp Elite won the latest shootout. sure its expensive...but you claimed there were "no better tv's on the market". http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-20118503-221/sharp-elite-wins-value-electronics-hdtv-shootout/

Yes the Panasonic are overpriced..but it still doesnt mean they are not the best tvs.

Im not sure why you wouldnt be a fan of plasma's for gaming..the newer plasmas from samsung and panasonic are exceptional for gaming.

Unity2012 said:
*From previous question: The TV is an LED/240hz 3D Macro Dimming Plus

LAG when using Game Mode, which turns off most of the picture enhancements, is pretty good; much better than I expected (I had my doubts after reading some videophiles forums).

I am by no means a hardcore MP gamer so I could not give you specific time-reaction details from a competitive point of view. The response time is fine and I've not felt a delay noticeable enough to affect my gameplay. What I can honestly say is games never looked so good. I feel like a little kid popping in all my games just to check them out... LOL. Nothing short of impressive, at least for me. I am very happy with my TV

**I first tried a Plasma, the PND8000 but did not do it for me. The PQ was definitely dimmer and not suitable for our bright rooms. Just a matter of preference--not better or worse just different. There is a TV out there for every taste. The thing is to find the one that makes you happy.

Thanks man. did you try the PND8000 with adjusted settings in your house or only at the store?

good to hear about that tv..thanks for the review. the PND8000 is supposed to be great once you adjust the settings. the qwerty keyboard remote is also fantastic.

GQman2121

Banned
0138c36074e0b712b457793aeb736b8f359826c3_wmlg.jpg

My PES import finally arrives, and on the same day as the MGS HD Collection. These two games alone will kill 100+ hours of my life. Also, the art book for MGS is totally worth $30 for anyone who was wondering about its quality. The pictures posted don’t do it justice.

Oh yeah, and COD. I’m sure I’ll be bro-ing it up later with PS3 gaf.

eXistor

Yay, Skyrim! Boo, steamworks! Oh well, three more days...

The flash makes it look bad, but it's actually quite a nice looking (and huge) statue.

2610rxf.jpg

234t8y.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom