• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OCTOBER 2012 Pick-Up Post!! Show Us Your Gaming Goods (Real pics or BAN!)!

oblo

jKFcR.jpg

#gavein

IMG_6682.png

Picked up a copy of iLife '05 for the Mac (so I can use GarageBand)

IMG_6685.png

And some relevant literature. This was like, a dollar, so...

Then I went and got my keyboard and my midi cable, and...
IMG_6713.png

Yeah.

Vipershark said:
Knowing that it didn't have water damage, I decided to try plugging it in and turning it on. I grabbed a charger that would fit, plugged it in, powered it up, and,
IMG_6646.png

Well, now I see why it was listed as broken.
The outer glass showed no signs of cracks or breakage, but as you can see the LCD panel itself is cracked and destroyed. (The gray and black areas are where it's broken, if you somehow can't tell.)
I popped in my copy of Wipeout Pure which loaded and ran and played just fine (I had to navigate the menus using only that tiny area of screen to the left, ahaha) but obviously I couldn't see anything.
Keep us updated on this, seriously.

Will do!

My PSP screen came in the mail.
IMG_6686.png

Included in the package were the screen and some tools.

IMG_6688.png

All of these tools were completely useless aside from the guitar-pick thing and it turns out I didn't even need it. None of the screwdrivers actually fit anything and the plastic opening tool just chipped and broke because it was made out of of cheap plastic. The guitar pick thing worked well at opening the battery, (I thought the battery had been Pandora'ed or something because it was cut open and the PSP wouldn't recognize it; turns out it's a battery for a PSP Slim, which the Phat doesn't accept.) but I didn't need it.
I just used my precision screwdriver set and used a tiny flathead in place of the opening tool. In other words, don't bother with cheapo chinese tools. Use your own.

So let's go through the process of opening the PSP, shall we?
I hope this is okay to post in here. If the mods think this is too big or something, feel free to edit it out.

After consulting multiple guides online (both in picture and video form) they all agreed that you need to remove 5 screws to open the PSP. Turns out you need to remove 6, but all of the guides fail to mention removing the screw on the bottom for some reason. I guess it's kind of a given considering that it's in such an obvious location, but whatever.

The last of the screws to remove is here, under the warranty sticker. If the sticker is damaged or removed the warranty is voided but lol at this thing having a warranty.
IMG_6692.png

IMG_6693.png

All of the guides agreed that the screw that needs to be removed is the one on the right of the battery compartment, which you can just barely see poking out from under the sticker above.
After removing that screw and spending about 15 minutes trying to figure out why the faceplate still wasn't coming off (and nearly snapping the faceplate in half in the process), it turns out that THAT'S NOT EVEN THE CORRECT SCREW.
The screw you need to remove is the one on the left. Not on the right. The screw on the right doesn't even need to be removed at all.
IMG_6694.png

Once the faceplate is off, you have to remove the button strip under the screen. This thing is really annoying to get off. You have to jam a screwdriver under the clip until it pops off the little circular nub pictured.
IMG_6695.png

Once that's off, you have to remove the screen in pretty much the same way. This is even more annoying.
IMG_6696.png

There are four clips, two on each side of the screen.

Once the screen is off the clips, it folds down to reveal the connection points.
IMG_6698.png

Be really careful in unhooking the screen. You don't want to break the ribbon cables.

IMG_6699.png

Screen removed.

At this point I put on some latex gloves so that I wouldn't get fingerprints on the new screen.
IMG_6700.png

IMG_6701.png

Comparison shots. Old on the right, new on the left.

Installing the new screen is MUCH easier than removing the old one. You simply do everything you just did in reverse. Putting the clips back on is far easier than popping them off.
I popped the screen in and plugged in the PSP to test it.
IMG_6703.png

It works! The plastic film cover is still on the LCD at this point so it looks a little blurry.

So I popped everything back together and put in a game to test, and,
IMG_6704.png

YEAH! It works perfectly!

The only problem I have is that the faceplate itself is really scratched and scuffed, which makes it look as though the LCD is messed up (it isn't).
IMG_6706.png

Note the line of different colored pixels inside the circle; that's a scratch. These are all over the screen.

IMG_6709.png

Picture with the lights on so you can see the scratches better.
I wonder if there's any way to buff these out?

After that, I grabbed a memory card out of my old camera (they're both Sony so they use the same card) and loaded up some songs and stuff on it to make sure it worked. It did.
I tested all of the buttons and the Wi-Fi and everything and they all work. The only thing I couldn't do was update the PSP's firmware because for some reason updating the firmware requires you to have a battery in the system, and because the Slim battery that it came with isn't supported, there was nothing I could do.
So I ordered a new battery and power cord. They'll be here soon.

Before:
IMG_6646.png

After:
IMG_6704.png

:D

So what did the screen cost you? Could someone replace a PSP1000 screen with a PSP3000 screen this way, to get the upgraded screen without having to buy a whole new setup?

The screen was about 10 bucks or so, if I remember correctly.

The PSP-3000 (and I'm assuming 2000 as well) screen has a different ribbon cable and is incompatible with the 1000. So no, it can't be upgraded. Perhaps if there was a 3rd party screen that was 3000 quality with the 1000 cable then it'd probably work, but I don't think such a thing exists.

Doombear

Thanks for the update! That's awesome.

I like seeing and reading about fixes like that.

Agreed. That was very cool, thanks for sharing that and nicely done. Guessing we will be seeing a new faceplate posted in this topic by you soon eh? I always meant to pick one up myself, new buttons / dpad / and faceplate but never got around to it all.

Zero no Kiseki Evolution (chara-ani super box with game, pouch, cleaner, drama cd, and soundtrack selection. Also came with a file.)

A5otLBwCIAA20zu.jpg

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm leaving Germany in two days, so I figure I get myself something nice and I found something to get (even though I won't be able to play it)

A5qCpUNCEAEH0C0.jpg

Picked up Pokemon Black 2 yesterday while shopping for some baby stuff:

JlV7Xl.jpg

I'm playing it on a DSi instead of the 3ds because Ds games look crappy on the 3ds and the screens are smaller. Pm me if you want to exchange friend codes or something. I'm loving it so far.

To the poster who replaced the PSP screen and now asking about the scuffs on the plastic outer layer. I replaced my PSPs entire outer shell, you eventually disassemble the entire PSP then reassemble it in the new shell. If you want to try, maybe buy just the faceplate on ebay and try to connect just that to the PSP rather than replacing the whole thing.

I had scratches on my outer screen too, that's how I fixed the problem and it looked great.

Quick and dirty pic, but bought a new PC which arrived the other day. i5 3550, AMD Radeon HD 7770, 16GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Finally joined the PC Master Race and couldn't be happier! :D

IMG_20121020_214622.jpg

Grief.exe

Quick and dirty pic, but bought a new PC which arrived the other day. i5 3550, AMD Radeon HD 7770, 16GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Finally joined the PC Master Race and couldn't be happier! :D

IMG_20121020_214622.jpg

Pre-built? Should have asked us first could have built you one for cheaper, with better performance, and higher quality parts.

I think what you meant to say was: "Congratulations on the pick-up! If in the future, you feel like building one, we'll be more than glad to help you out!"

Ya! Of course that's what I meant. Sometimes it just comes out wrong.

Aeana

GeiLm.jpg

Zero no Kiseki Evolution. Regular version, not cool like twentytwo22's. (._. ) But I couldn't afford to ship that giant thing anyway.

xJavonta

Banned
Nice! Welcome to the master race. That harddrive is gonna fill up really quickly though, and you'll find yourself trying to upgrade parts in no time lol. It's a joyous feeling.

Nice! Welcome to the master race. That harddrive is gonna fill up really quickly though, and you'll find yourself trying to upgrade parts in no time lol. It's a joyous feeling.

Thanks! :) Yeah, I'm gonna need an external HDD in the future definitely, but initially I went for a smaller hard drive and more RAM to fit my current budget.

Top Bottom