• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I have mine at 30 for SDR and I don't find it dim at all. Hdr is at 100.

Sony doesn't have a big advantage, as it's max 100 nits brighter on 10% window calibrated. Those crazy 1300 nits numbers were in Vivid mode which noone should ever use.
100 nits is nothing to scoff out. Check out the review I posted just a minute ago.

TAS

55 CX owner since August. I upgraded from a Panasonic plasma and it is the best tech purchase I ever made. I was very close to going the QLED route because I use my tv as a PC monitor and I was paranoid of burn-in issues. I decided to bite the bullet and go OLED and I have had zero issues. As an extra precaution though I auto-hide the taskbar and desktop icons with a black background and use the ribbons screensaver like others have recommended. I HIGHLY encourage anyone who is on the fence to jump in as it will be one of the best purchases you ever make. The little bit of extra care pales in comparison to the enormous benefits you receive.

I have an old tv and I have been watching the G1 pretty closely. I live in a pretty modest house due to high COL, and the G1 will help create more room in my living room. : )

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've been wondering about upgrading from my 27" 4k lg27uk650 ips monitor to 32" version 32un650.... but I can't pull the trigger...
I know that in monitor world, IPS is the only choice(and I like 4k) since I hate shitty va viewing angles and ghosting.
But 48 c1 is still on my mind since cx came out.. it's over 2x more expensive than 32un650 monitor I almost pulled a trigger on but I could do it if I saved for 2 more months or 3.

The C1 is 2021 cx right? There is also A1 in 48"...

I am afraid of that huge size and burn in(I watch quite a lot of twitch so there are static windows elements). I would use it for ps5 and pc(3080)... So would anyone advice against it? Like, maybe get 32" 4k ips as I plan or wait it out for now?
This is my setup now. The 48" would probably take the whole desk (I've measured, it would fit just about snuggly). I could wall mount it too, sure. Oh and no more speakers
PNZ8egW.jpg

Last edited:

Jeez, would be a real blunder if they get caught lying about the brightness increase. + I thought they would include a stand on G1, but yeah they don't. That's dumb.

Bad if true on the brightness, but it's quantum, so pinch of salt. Starting to sound like a skip though. Like if it's not brighter than the A80J... what's the point? Get the better color and processing on the Sony.

Last edited:

Cyborg

I own a CX 55'' and a PS5 and I just dont find the TV imagine quality that impressive. I suspect it all due to my settings but it just looks ''okey''

Anyone having the same combination that could share their setting via a quote or DM?

ZywyPL

Banned
I own a CX 55'' and a PS5 and I just dont find the TV imagine quality that impressive. I suspect it all due to my settings but it just looks ''okey''

Anyone having the same combination that could share their setting via a quote or DM?

What settings are you currently using? Game Mode preset should've been the preferable since it provides the lowest input-lag due o all of the post-processing turned off, BUT - it has color gamut fixed to auto mode, which often doesn't properly work for games, leaving the colors washed out as a result.. Try using PC mode instead with the exact same manual settings as in the Game Mode preset, except with color gamut forced to Wide, makes quite a difference.

Ulysses 31

You could start by posting your settings. :lollipop_grinning:

SirVoltus

The more you watch his videos.. you just won't buy any tv at all.
He found LG CX not good just to find it good at a later date.. lol.
If i remember correctly Quantum mention that new samsung miniled qn85a is as good as/if not better overall than qn90a . I don;t know what his qn85a panel is but.. accordin to rtings QN85A is an IPS type panel with native contrast below 1500. while qn90a is a VA panel. Go figure.

Last edited:
I think OLED really depends on your environment and how well lit it is as well as what you are watching. I have bias lighting with LED lights behind all my TVs and with these on I honestly don't see a huge difference between my OLED and LCD TVs on normal content like news and sports.

Turn out the lights and stick on a dark movie or game they are not even close to being comparable as the true blacks on OLED look great while I easily see the distracting blooming on my LCD.

Ulysses 31

The more you watch his videos.. you just won't buy any tv at all.
He found LG CX not good just to find it good at a later date.. lol.
From what I've seen, his beef with the CX are the downgrades from the C9, don't recall him saying the CX was a sub par TV.

Cyborg

What settings are you currently using? Game Mode preset should've been the preferable since it provides the lowest input-lag due o all of the post-processing turned off, BUT - it has color gamut fixed to auto mode, which often doesn't properly work for games, leaving the colors washed out as a result.. Try using PC mode instead with the exact same manual settings as in the Game Mode preset, except with color gamut forced to Wide, makes quite a difference.

You could start by posting your settings. :lollipop_grinning:

Will do when I come home.

* PS5 & LG 55CX owner here

I also can’t get on with game mode one bit. Colour is waaaaay too washed out and certain options seem completely missing when in game mode.

I wish someone had some definitive settings for this set both game mode and non game mode plus what the PS5 should be set on.

All I want to tweak is sharpness up / down if desired with all the other settings being the best they can.

Same with movies / Netflix

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Sony doesn't have a big advantage, as it's max 100 nits brighter on 10% window calibrated. Those crazy 1300 nits numbers were in Vivid mode which noone should ever use.
I was waiting for some one to say this. Truely a case of people getting hyped over a cheap marketing tactic from the get-go.

TheShocker

Wouldn’t you have to match the color gamut on your console? IE. PC RGB on Xbox and PS? Otherwise you’d run into crushed blacks.

Tchu-Espresso

* PS5 & LG 55CX owner here

I also can’t get on with game mode one bit. Colour is waaaaay too washed out and certain options seem completely missing when in game mode.

I wish someone had some definitive settings for this set both game mode and non game mode plus what the PS5 should be set on.

All I want to tweak is sharpness up / down if desired with all the other settings being the best they can.

Same with movies / Netflix
That’s not sounding right.

Share your settings.

Tchu-Espresso

I don’t understand weird suggestions like this. The TV works as intended on game mode with the PS5 from everything I’ve experienced and seen.

Give me an example of a game where PC mode looks better.

Last edited:
That’s not sounding right.

Share your settings.
Settings are similar to what others have posted - main difference being, when I switch to ‘game mode’ everything looks very dull and washed out? I can only get it to look better if I disable game mode, any ideas?

I’ll post more detailed settings when I get a chance.

Ulysses 31

I don’t understand weird suggestions like this. The TV works as intended on game mode with the PS5 from everything I’ve experienced and seen.

I agree with him that auto color gamut washes/dulls out colors unless I crack saturation up beyond 70. I set it to wide too.

Last edited:
i've noticed recently on my LG CX what appears to be 3 very faint horizontal lines next to each other near the top of the screen. the 3 lines are real close to each other forming a bigger line. it's more noticeable in the middle of the display. at first i thought it was burn in from watching content with black bars at the top but don't imagine burn in would appear just yet and there are no lines at the bottom of the screen. i made this drawing to show what i mean:

Untitled.png

the lines there are black just to make it easier to show what i mean. the lines don't have a colour. it just looks like uneven brightness. also by "very faint" i mean... very faint because it's only visible on a pure white screen and if i look real close. most of the time i don't notice it. i've used my TV a bit since noticing it and the 4 hour screen refresher has run many times. the last day or so i haven't noticed it so hopefully it has cleared up on it's own.

the thing is i bought an engineer remote to see my usage hours. stupid me pressed INSTOP instead of INSTART lol. for anyone who doesn't know pressing INSTOP will factory reset (clearing usage hours too) with ZERO warning. i've put a warning label for myself on the remote and drew around the INSTOP button lol so i don't do that again....

Untitled.png

i don't know exactly how the screen refresher works but i thought maybe cause the usage hours reset the TV lost track of all the adjustments it had made and that's how the lines appeared. now i've ran the TV (and refreshes) it has cleared up. i don't know if that's what happened but hopefully it is. luckily it doesn't really bother me so i don't think i'll be asking for a panel replacement. i got 5 year burn in warranty maybe in a couple years i'll ask for a panel replacement or get a new TV out of it. maybe by then i will actually get some burn in because otherwise the screen looks just as good as it did the day i got it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZywyPL

Banned
Wouldn’t you have to match the color gamut on your console? IE. PC RGB on Xbox and PS? Otherwise you’d run into crushed blacks.

Dunno about the PS5, but setting RGB output on XSX will make everything super dark, like, you can barely see the separated waves of the Ribbons dynamic theme, the waves and the tiles almost blend together to one black wallpaper, so it's better off leaving the output settings as they are.

Jigga117

From what I've seen, his beef with the CX are the downgrades from the C9, don't recall him saying the CX was a sub par TV.
Even then he has nothing to complain about because he whined about 48 vs 40 HDMI 2.1 when we know no 10 bit panel needs 48Gbps. He claims to be a calibrator with no verification of credentials. He just whines just for hits with inaccurate settings and understanding of info and he just hates LG in general because it fits his style to do so.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Dunno about the PS5, but setting RGB output on XSX will make everything super dark, like, you can barely see the separated waves of the Ribbons dynamic theme, the waves and the tiles almost blend together to one black wallpaper, so it's better off leaving the output settings as they are.
That's probably because you have your TV set to low(16-235) HDMI black level. RGB output on XSX is high(0-255) black levels. Setting TV to auto black levels should match with the console output, at least it does on my Samsung and LG.

ZywyPL

Banned
That's probably because you have your TV set to low(16-235) HDMI black level. RGB output on XSX is high(0-255) black levels. Setting TV to auto black levels should match with the console output, at least it does on my Samsung and LG.

Thanks for the tip, will check out the settings after work.

Jigga117

Jeez, would be a real blunder if they get caught lying about the brightness increase. + I thought they would include a stand on G1, but yeah they don't. That's dumb.

Bad if true on the brightness, but it's quantum, so pinch of salt. Starting to sound like a skip though. Like if it's not brighter than the A80J... what's the point? Get the better color and processing on the Sony.
The stands don't come with the G series because they are purchased mainly to wall mount so nothing new and for him to complain about this he should know with him claiming to be an "expert". Again, he complains just to complain

Ulysses 31

The stands don't come with the G series because they are purchased mainly to wall mount so nothing new and for him to complain about this he should know with him claiming to be an "expert". Again, he complains just to complain
His complaint is that only the G model is the evo panel so if people want the LG evo panel and not wall mount it, they have to pay up extra for the stand.

But the thing that gets me is if the g1 is supposed to have the evo panel and nothing else will, I agree with him it's a bit shitty. Like, if the c1 had the evo panel as well, then it wouldn't be an issue, just get the c series as usual. I guess we'll have to see if there's even a real difference between c1 ang g1.

ZywyPL

Banned

There are reports showing that setting the TVs input into PC mode guarantees the lowest input-lag, and from there on you can manually play with the picture settings, the 4:4:4 chroma everyone is talking about is just a bonus on top of it for me. But like I said, game mode with its sometimes missed black levels or narrow color gamut is not what I'd personally consider as "working as intended", forcing those proper settings is.

Reporting back that this was indeed the case, so thanks again :)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
48 cx confirmed to be here tomorrow... could use some win10 and ps5 tips to setup. + of course c1 menu settings.
I understand to turn on hgig and utlra deep hdmi color.... and pc mode on both ps5 and pc ?
Edit: btw how to play 4k hdr files on win10 ?! media player classic home cinema apparently don't do that

Last edited:

Captn

48 cx confirmed to be here tomorrow... could use some win10 and ps5 tips to setup. + of course c1 menu settings.
I understand to turn on hgig and utlra deep hdmi color.... and pc mode on both ps5 and pc ?
Edit: btw how to play 4k hdr files on win10 ?! media player classic home cinema apparently don't do that

Hi,

I have the 48 inch with win 10 latest update and 3090 latest update and a ps5.

In nvidia control panel, I use these settings.

As for gsync I use only full screen.

For the CX I am in Gamemode picture mode and HGIG both on PC and Ps5. Also PC mode is set for both (not the picture mode setting) but for the inputs themselves.

HDR option in windows ON and you can play HDR files with the latest VLC app or maybe use the plex app not the browser one.

P.s this tv is amazing quality wise!! not that many issues that would make me regret my purchase. Had it for 6 months and still in awe every time I turn it on..loll

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hi,

I have the 48 inch with win 10 latest update and 3090 latest update and a ps5.

In nvidia control panel, I use these settings.

As for gsync I use only full screen.

For the CX I am in Gamemode picture mode and HGIG both on PC and Ps5. Also PC mode is set for both (not the picture mode setting) but for the inputs themselves.

HDR option in windows ON and you can play HDR files with the latest VLC app or maybe use the plex app not the browser one.

P.s this tv is amazing quality wise!! not that many issues that would make me regret my purchase. Had it for 6 months and still in awe every time I turn it on..loll
thanks!
WHat bout games or apps that dont use hgig? Wouldn't dynamic tone mapping be better then

Captn

thanks!
WHat bout games or apps that dont use hgig? Wouldn't dynamic tone mapping be better then

I cant tell you since I play everything on HGIG weather its PC or Ps5 and both with all games look awesome with these settings. Might be different for others depending on how they set things but for me that's how it is.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I cant tell you since I play everything on HGIG weather its PC or Ps5 and both with all games look awesome with these settings. Might be different for others depending on how they set things but for me that's how it is.
one more thing.
Do I need to enable win10 hdr or I don't if a game does it itself ? (like dmc5)

Captn

one more thing.
Do I need to enable win10 hdr or I don't if a game does it itself ? (like dmc5)

Most of the time yes but there are some games that enabling it ingame will over write the windows settings if its off.

Top Bottom