• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

DonJorginho

Banned
Loving my time with the C1 currently, only one small issue that I'm not sure the reasoning for, when playing The Skywalker Saga on the PS5 and seemingly only when doing this, at times rarely I get a small vertical line of what seems like pixels not being used on the bottom right of the screen, it's barely noticeable but once you see it you can't unsee it, but it doesn't even last the whole time, after a 10 second period in the game the pixels go back to being used and I get a full image again, this has not happened with any other game or app.

Any ideas what's going on? Could it be pixel shift?

Lognor

Banned
C1's are at a really good price rn so get on it fast
Thanks. I was reading on another forum and it sounds like i might have gotten a dud. Gonna give Sony one more chance. If the next Sony is shit I'll send it back. Thank God for costco and their 90 day return window

Chiggs

Gold Member
Welp. I'm about to return this piece of shit Sony A80J tv. I spent $3000 on it and in less than a month I've had multiple issues. Several times the screen has failed to turn on. I hit the power button and I can hear that the tv is on, but there is no picture. And I physically needed to unplug it and plug it in again for the screen to turn on.

And now today there is no wifi. Wifi is set to off. I set it to on. No networks show. I leave the setup menu and go back in and wifi is set to off again. I had to again unplug the tv and plug it in again for the wifi to work.

Completely ridiculous that the tv has so many issues. I'm returning this crap and gonna order the C1 most likely. Unless I just got a dud. But from googling it, it doesn't sound like it. It sounds like these are common problems with Sony Bravia tvs. WTF Sony? Get your shit together!!

I have an A80j and A90j and have experienced neither issue, but it does sound like you’ve got a defective unit…that or you need to do a factory reset.

C1 is a good tv, but if you can find one, go with an LG G1 instead. They’re deeply discounted right now, are brighter and come with a 5 year warranty.

Lognor

Banned
I have an A80j and A90j and have experienced neither issue, but it does sound like you’ve got a defective unit…that or you need to do a factory reset.

C1 is a good tv, but if you can find one, go with an LG G1 instead. They’re deeply discounted right now, are brighter and come with a 5 year warranty.
Thanks. It doesn't sound like these issues are too uncommon as I saw multiple articles about these issues and Sony even has troubleshooting for these specific issues on their website. The solution? Unplug the tv and plug it in again. That doesn't give me a ton of hope to stick with Sony if that's their best solution.

I do like the 4k tuner which I currently get 3 stations with so it's future proof in that aspect. The C1 doesn't have that. I suppose I could buy one for $100+, so not a deal breaker.

Would you say the G1 is a better tv than the A80J? OR is that more in line with the A90J? The best deal I see right now on a 77" G1 is $3,300 with a $500 rebate. I can get the A80J for $2800 or the C1 for $2700.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Thanks. It doesn't sound like these issues are too uncommon as I saw multiple articles about these issues and Sony even has troubleshooting for these specific issues on their website. The solution? Unplug the tv and plug it in again. That doesn't give me a ton of hope to stick with Sony if that's their best solution.

I do like the 4k tuner which I currently get 3 stations with so it's future proof in that aspect. The C1 doesn't have that. I suppose I could buy one for $100+, so not a deal breaker.

Would you say the G1 is a better tv than the A80J? OR is that more in line with the A90J? The best deal I see right now on a 77" G1 is $3,300 with a $500 rebate. I can get the A80J for $2800 or the C1 for $2700.

I own them all, and here's my ranking:

1. A90J
2. G1
3. A80J
4. C1

Just keep in mind that with the G1, you're going to need to buy the feet (or a VESA stand) separately if you're not wall-mounting.

As for the G1 over a80J...it barely edges it out, IMO. But if you're more of a movies/tv guy, the Sony is arguably better.

keefged4

Loving my time with the C1 currently, only one small issue that I'm not sure the reasoning for, when playing The Skywalker Saga on the PS5 and seemingly only when doing this, at times rarely I get a small vertical line of what seems like pixels not being used on the bottom right of the screen, it's barely noticeable but once you see it you can't unsee it, but it doesn't even last the whole time, after a 10 second period in the game the pixels go back to being used and I get a full image again, this has not happened with any other game or app.

Yes this is pixel shift/move. I ended up turning it off as its annoying af.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

I've never observed this. I think Pixel shift moves all the pixels not just a single line.

Lognor

Banned
I own them all, and here's my ranking:

1. A90J
2. G1
3. A80J
4. C1

Just keep in mind that with the G1, you're going to need to buy the feet (or a VESA stand) separately if you're not wall-mounting.

As for the G1 over a80J...it barely edges it out, IMO. But if you're more of a movies/tv guy, the Sony is arguably better.
Thanks for the insightful post! I'm probably 60/40 movies/tv vs games. And the sound on the A80J is much better than my "old" B1. I assume sound is still lacking on the C1.

I'm sending my A80J back and I will give Sony one more chance since it sounds like a I got a dud. If I have issues with the next tv I might consider the G1. It is a hassle to deal with rebates, so I might just wait until there is a deal for a 77" out the door for sub $3000.

The A90J is not an option since Sony apparently does not make it in a 77" model. 77" is the largest I can go in my space and I refuse to go back to 65".

BlueAlpaca

Chiggs Chiggs , have you noticed any difference in input lag between the Sony OLEDs and LGs?

The latter have less lag but it's not a huge difference, was wondering if it's noticeable to you. Thanks In advance.

Otre

Banned
Anyone know if in a 120hz gsync display, I have to cap the framerate to 3 below my desired cap for minimal lag? For example, my target is 60, so I cap at 57. All Ive seen is blurbusters reccomending capping the display itself to 116 and nothing more.

Tygeezy

Anyone know if in a 120hz gsync display, I have to cap the framerate to 3 below my desired cap for minimal lag? For example, my target is 60, so I cap at 57. All Ive seen is blurbusters reccomending capping the display itself to 116 and nothing more.
Yes you do.

Forsete

I finally received my 65" C2 this Friday.

What a beautiful TV it is.
The smart TV feature is very snappy, I was afraid it would lag a lot but I haven't experienced any lag at all (using Netflix, Apple TV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max and Plex).

The picture quality with a PS5 is A-MA-ZING. Especially the HDR in Gran Turismo 7 is really-really impressive (seeing the sunset on some of the tracks, or the cars headlights).

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Anyone notice that the audio format stopped going to game optimized and can now save the audio profile you want

NeonGhost

?!!!!!!!!!!
Not here but I didn't had any update.
Cmon man. Don't give me hope they fixed it
Go into the game optimizer scroll down to AI game sound turn it off and it stays off my tv stays in cinema audio mode and never changes now

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Go into the game optimizer scroll down to AI game sound turn it off and it stays off my tv stays in cinema audio mode and never changes now
Nah. It will turn back on when I switch to full screen game or enable/disable hdr in windows. It was always there.
Game optimizer and AI game sound are essentially the same setting

Excess

So I was setting up my new C1, and then I realized I needed to get a new AVR for the 4K/120, so I bought one. The issue is that AVRs don't pass G-Sync, so I decided to use eARC. However, now I'm stuck with not being able to pass through DTS because the C1 dropped DTS support. It's not a deal breaker, but now I need to re-rip some of my Blu rays to add Dolby audio tracks.

NeonGhost

Nah. It will turn back on when I switch to full screen game or enable/disable hdr in windows. It was always there.
Don’t know how it works on PC buts it’s definitely working for me on Xbox and PlayStation going between hdr games and fully turning off the console and back on

NeonGhost

im telling you it would always turn back on for when I turned off now it doesn’t so try it out

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Who has the biggest dick in this thread? That is the real question.
So because someone can afford a thousand dollars tv, they should sit tight because it’s unimaginable wealth?! Haha dude I am poor af considering any western standards

SteadyEvo

Who has the biggest dick in this thread? That is the real question.
Me. A soft 11 in
Do not watch this fool. He should be a banned source. He is a religious nut and changes his opinion everyday. Everything he says is very very subjective to his mood that day and he is crazy
We are all a little crazy…

What tv do you suggest? I already have 2 Samsungs and it’s annoying when one turns the other on and off so I’d like a different brand.

Last edited:

Neofire

Do not watch this fool. He should be a banned source. He is a religious nut and changes his opinion everyday. Everything he says is very very subjective to his mood that day and he is crazy
I hate to rag on the brotha but your statement is very true. I stopped watching him when he said the Hisense OLED blows the Sony A90j out the water. I was like tf......

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

None of that is even remotely true. He is extremely professional and knows his shit. Anyone can watch his latest videos and see that for themselves. He is one of the few who have been calling out the bullshit 2020-2021 Sony and Samsung QLED sets for the motion(sony) and blooming(samsung) issues while charging out of the ass for TVs that pale in comparison to their offerings from 2018 and getting blown out of the water price/performance wise by once noname tv manufactures like Hisense. I know he has a large hate-base mostly because he calls out that paid LG shill HDTVTEST who is on his way to being a laughing stock on twitter for his ridiculous takes about the brightness of the new Samsung s95b.

Do you really want tv reviewers that just lie to you, tell you every tv is great and tell you to click their link so they can make money? I don't think honesty is 'crazy'

Last edited:

dotnotbot

None of that is even remotely true. He is extremely professional and knows his shit.

He mixes up basic terms. He proved to be clueless about calibration and even how HDR works numerous times. He never does any measurements nor he gives any proof to his claims. Reviewers like Vincent are working their asses off, showing everything they find out on graphs, test patterns and scenes from movies, meanwhile Quantum comes in and basically says - "I see it differently so they are all wrong and paid".
You must be trolling.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
For those of you with the C2, do you notice a pink tint when viewing the screen off axis?

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
None of that is even remotely true. He is extremely professional and knows his shit. Anyone can watch his latest videos and see that for themselves. He is one of the few who have been calling out the bullshit 2020-2021 Sony and Samsung QLED sets for the motion(sony) and blooming(samsung) issues while charging out of the ass for TVs that pale in comparison to their offerings from 2018 and getting blown out of the water price/performance wise by once noname tv manufactures like Hisense. I know he has a large hate-base mostly because he calls out that paid LG shill HDTVTEST who is on his way to being a laughing stock on twitter for his ridiculous takes about the brightness of the new Samsung s95b.

Do you really want tv reviewers that just lie to you, tell you every tv is great and tell you to click their link so they can make money? I don't think honesty is 'crazy'
No. He is a troll and a moron. I'm sorry you fell for his bs.

NeonGhost

Need some audio help I have a LG C1 and picked up the lg sound bar SP8YA I have it con to the Earc port. On the settings on my tv there’s a section for digital sound output what is the best option pass through, auto or PCM

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Me. A soft 11 in

We are all a little crazy…

What tv do you suggest? I already have 2 Samsungs and it’s annoying when one turns the other on and off so I’d like a different brand.
He is just losing it and grinding views.
Anyway. Jest get the c1 unless you don’t need bfi or are made of money. Then get c2 or even g2

Celcius

°Temp. member
When will the 42” C2 be widely available? Seems like best buy has every size except that one.
Hmm… the 48” C1 is on sale and only $999 though….

Andodalf

Banned
When will the 42” C2 be widely available? Seems like best buy has every size except that one.
Hmm… the 48” C1 is on sale and only $999 though….
I was in the same boat and finally pulled the trigger and got the C1 from costco. 1k for that bad boy with a 5 year warranty and 100$ xbox gift card is impossible to pass up!

Whitecrow

Banned
brighter? How is that a problem. The only problem is supposed pixel life.
The c1 already is 800 peak... that is almost too bright for desktop use. I look at something bright in an hdr game and it's scorching since you are supposed to play oled in the evening/night.
I don't want to sit in front of 3k nits sun lol
Its a problem if you have it on a lit environment.

Also, Dolby Vision standard reaches 10000 nits as a peak luminance. The closer, the better.

You might not need it, but in the pursue of realism on displays, more color volume is always better.

One can tweak tv settings tho, if oled light and contrast to 100 is too much, you can lower it down.

Is a win-win.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Its a problem if you have it on a lit environment.

Also, Dolby Vision standard reaches 10000 nits as a peak luminance. The closer, the better.

You might not need it, but in the pursue of realism on displays, more color volume is always better.

One can tweak tv settings tho, if oled light and contrast to 100 is too much, you can lower it down.

Is a win-win.
this is stupid. 10k nits? why? I understand the flower outside with sun shining on it is 3k nits. I know.
But I don't want that in evening on my tv

b0uncyfr0

Will be rocking my CX for 2 more years maybe. I am thinking of getting the service remote so I can try a few of those hacks I've seen around. IIRC : disabling ASBL, remove the low battery warning and some other stuff I don't remember. Is there a site that lists them, apart from avsforums..?

The only feature I'm missing is GeForce Now - it was rumored at one point as releasing on the CX, bit so far it hasnt.

Top Bottom