• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

MadPanda

Banned
Most definitely pixel shift on and the Logo Luminance inset to high, these are both to protect from burn in. Another thing I do, is turn the OLED light down to 50, and the brightness to around 52. Good luck with your new tv. I own a 77” GX, and it’s the best tv I’ve ever owned period.

If you're keeping oled light to 52 on hdr modes then you shouldn't have bought an oled TV. BTW logo luminance high or low is concerned with time delay it kicks in, not its intensity.

REDRZA MWS

If you're keeping oled light to 52 on hdr modes then you shouldn't have bought an oled TV. BTW logo luminance high or low is concerned with time delay it kicks in, not its intensity.
On the inputs I game on. I’m just careful to avoid burn in and the picture on this OLED is still second to none.

Arioco

BTW logo luminance high or low is concerned with time delay it kicks in, not its intensity

I'm no even sure what you mean. Logo luminance is indeed brighter or dimmer logos, if you set it to high the logos will less bright and you tv will be less likely to get a burned in logo.

MadPanda

Banned
I'm no even sure what you mean. Logo luminance is indeed brighter or dimmer logos, if you set it to high the logos will less bright and you tv will be less likely to get a burned in logo.
logos will be the same brightness regardless of setting it to low or high. only thing that changes is the time dimming takes to kick in.

Arioco

logos will be the same brightness regardless of setting it to low or high. only thing that changes is the time dimming takes to kick in.

As owner of a CX I can tell you that's not true. It definitely detects where the logos are and changes its brightness.it just takes a few seconds to start dimming the fixed pixels. If your TV doesn't do that it's not working as it should.

But I'm still not sure I understood what you mean.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
As owner of a CX I can tell you that's not true. It definitely detects where the logos are and changes its brightness.it just takes a few seconds to start dimming the fixed pixels. If your TV doesn't do that it's not working as it should.

But I'm still not sure I understood what you mean.

let's say logo luminance is set on off - logo brightness is 100%

logo luminance on low - logo brightness 30% but it takes a minute to kick in
logo luminance on high - logo brightness 30% but it takes 15 seconds to kick in

Intensity and time is only for illustration. Hope you understand now.

Arioco

let's say logo luminance is set on off - logo brightness is 100%

logo luminance on low - logo brightness 30% but it takes a minute to kick in
logo luminance on high - logo brightness 30% but it takes 15 seconds to kick in

Intensity and time is only for illustration. Hope you understand now.

Oh, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me once again. Yup, in that case it's exactly as you describe it. 👍

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I woke up to my Xbox series x on and my lg c1 also on is there a setting in the lg menu to have the tv automatically turn off after certain amount of time without use

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I woke up to my Xbox series x on and my lg c1 also on is there a setting in the lg menu to have the tv automatically turn off after certain amount of time without use
of course there is.
It is on by default in care-power saving settings. It is 4 hours

NeonGhost

of course there is.
It is on by default in care-power saving settings. It is 4 hours
Ok it says it turns off after 4 hours if the tv was automatically turned on and didn’t know if that meant it only worked when you had the timer set for when to turn on

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ok it says it turns off after 4 hours if the tv was automatically turned on and didn’t know if that meant it only worked when you had the timer set for when to turn on
It will just turn off after 4 hours of not pressing anything on the remote. no matter what is displayed.
Maybe the console talks to the tv through simplink and reenabled it?

The xbox also to turn off after some time

NeonGhost

It will just turn off after 4 hours of not pressing anything on the remote. no matter what is displayed.
Maybe the console talks to the tv through simplink and reenabled it?

The xbox also to turn off after some time
Yeah idk what happened I have it set up when my Xbox turns on it also turns on the tv and I have the inactiv setting set on my Xbox to 2 hours so I was only on for that long at least

Calverz

Last edited:

dotnotbot

The LG 42C2 has been confirmed to cost £1,399 here in the UK.

Disappointing to say the least.

So brand-new Alienware 34" UW QD-OLED will be cheaper at launch (1099). Interesting.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So brand-new Alienware 34" UW QD-OLED will be cheaper at launch (1099). Interesting.
And it's worse deal.
That alienware got shit 400hdr, no word on speakers (probably terrible, no built in apps, netflix and other crap, no dolby vision I presume, no 5:5 pulldown for 24 or 30fps movies.
and c1 got pretty great speakers, all the multimedia features, it's bigger for the same price, you can use any resolution.

And the worst thing - alienware is Dell. Dell is a nightmare

G-Bus

Banned
So is the c1 pretty good out of the box or should I be fiddling with settings?

I mean it looks great to me but if I can make it better then why not.

If anything I find it to be a bit too bright at times. Game optimizer seems to have helped a bit? I don't know.

That AI sound setting is nice as well.

Andodalf

Banned
The LG 42C2 has been confirmed to cost £1,399 here in the UK.

Disappointing to say the least.

I can't imagine that lasts long at retail. Stores will drop the 42" lower. It won't move at the same price.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So is the c1 pretty good out of the box or should I be fiddling with settings?

I mean it looks great to me but if I can make it better then why not.

If anything I find it to be a bit too bright at times. Game optimizer seems to have helped a bit? I don't know.

That AI sound setting is nice as well.
my settings.
For audio if using TV speakers
-switch ps5 audio deice to soundbar (helps with some games)
-Use Standard or Cinematic audio mode (I use cinematic)
-Disable dolby crap and ai crap for audio 100%.
-Be sure to RE-ENABLE cinema audio mode on each tv restart... it likes to switch back to shit game optimizer audio.
-Go to AI settings under general and enable bass boost under accustic tuning. You can do accusting tuning too. Dont hurt.

for picture:
-I use game optimizer mode for pc and ps5
-Enable 4k hdmi deep color for each input in general - devilce - hdmi settings
-disable power saving !!! It dims the picture
-Leave oled care settings on. Pixel shift and logo dimming is good.
-Enable WARM 50 for correct picture white balance under picture settings/color. It will look yellow for some time but once you adjust, it's more correct and better for the eyes.
-for SDR, lower oled pixel brightness to around 40 or 50.
-for HDR do not touch brihtness or contrasts. only change tone mapping to hgig for games that have the calibration screens for hdr

Repeat all these steps for every input for sdr and hdr

Calverz

I can't imagine that lasts long at retail. Stores will drop the 42" lower. It won't move at the same price.
I think lg are anticipating high demand from gamers. We’ll see as the Alienware is cheaper and better tech. Hopefully it will come down.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I hear some people say that gaming at 30 fps on a oled feels very stuttery. I have an oled switch and 30 fps games look fine, and watching anime on my oled iPhone looks great too. Is 30 fps gaming on an oled tv any different or am I just not sensitive to it? I’m the kind of person that will choose 4K 30 fps over checkboard 1600p 60 fps any day of the week because I want ALL the pixels I can get.

MadPanda

Banned
I hear some people say that gaming at 30 fps on a oled feels very stuttery. I have an oled switch and 30 fps games look fine, and watching anime on my oled iPhone looks great too. Is 30 fps gaming on an oled tv any different or am I just not sensitive to it? I’m the kind of person that will choose 4K 30 fps over checkboard 1600p 60 fps any day of the week because I want ALL the pixels I can get.

I haven't noticed anything strange on my LG cx and I've played many 30fps games. I don't know, maybe there is something but I'm not noticing it.

Ulysses 31

The stutter is a lot less noticeable on those small screens, on modern OLED TVs it will much more noticeable but there's motion interpolation tech to eliminate it without introducing soap opera.

It looks a bit like this during the panning, depending on the camera is might look worse on video.

The dude gives the explanation with the sample and hold tech of modern displays and calls it judder but it's technically stutter.

The lower the fps of the contect, the worse the effect.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

It's because of much smaller screen. I didn't mind 30 FPS games on my monitor until I tried 55"-65" TV from a distance of around 2 meters. If you look closely 30 FPS has exactly the same ill effects on both but it's not as annoying on a smaller screen.

If you are going for a big screen at a proper distance, no matter if it's LCD or OLED, both won't look sexy with 30 FPS and lower materials until you use some form of motion interpolation or black frame insertion.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Eh, I'd really rather avoid using black frame insertion. Do you think the 42" C2 would be small enough to not be affected as much? Maybe I should consider going LCD/LED for a TV when I buy a house this year... though I really like the colors and blacks of OLED

Last edited:

Thaedolus

This seems like just as good as any place to ask this sorta random question:

Does the Paramount+ LG app really not have seeking controls? I can’t figure out wtf to do for anything besides play and pause.

REDRZA MWS

Nah, rather turn down OLED light to not have each pixel so bright it could possibly even lead to burn in. Aside from the TV settings, I then adjust HDR with the rest of my TV setting gs using the next gen OS tools to adjust HDR. Picture is awesome on mine.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Nah, rather turn down OLED light to not have each pixel so bright it could possibly even lead to burn in. Aside from the TV settings, I then adjust HDR with the rest of my TV setting gs using the next gen OS tools to adjust HDR. Picture is awesome on mine.
But then you’re getting dynamic range but not brightness of hdr (which is already significantly lower than my Samsung LCD tvs). I’m careful and keep SDR mode at like 30 or less in games with many static elements but to me it’s not worth to downgrade HDR.

Radioskugga

Yeah my old LG B7 finally got some burn-ins. Not in a slow matter, it was from one day to another. Two tennisball sized blobs in the middle of the screen. Was most noticable during yellow/orange scenes.

So I just got me a LG C1 65" that I found at a great price. :)

BlueAlpaca

Rtings says LG OLEDs require calibration while Sony's are good out of the box.

My question is: how hard is it to properly calibrate an LG OLED? I know nothing about this stuff and thinking I should go with a Sony. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

My question is: how hard is it to properly calibrate an LG OLED? I know nothing about this stuff and thinking I should go with a Sony. Thanks in advance for any help.
calibration? What for. It's overrated. These tv's are pretty spot on
Just turn up white balance to warm50. It's close to 6500k

Codiox

Hey guys, im looking for a replacement for my 65" B7 because the burn in is pretty noticeable these days and i want to go bigger.

im looking at 77" or 83". im not up to date what the latest TVs can and cant, but i know that the C2 is in the pipeline. Should i buy the C1 now or wait for the C2 ?

NeonGhost

Hey guys, im looking for a replacement for my 65" B7 because the burn in is pretty noticeable these days and i want to go bigger.

im looking at 77" or 83". im not up to date what the latest TVs can and cant, but i know that the C2 is in the pipeline. Should i buy the C1 now or wait for the C2 ?
Wait for the c2 since it will be out soon

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

New c2 and g2 are already out here in Poland. Last year we got c1 early too.
So it's a matter of week or two probably

I received my AW3423DW QD-Oled.

The dream come true, the best monitor, ever.

Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Where did you see them?
The same place I've bought c1 last year like 2 weeks before it was in media markt

But what a shit deal. 48" c2 is 350usd more expensive than 48" c1 was on release in the same store... not to mention 48" c1 is now 1000usd.
aaaand Iast year, LG was handing out headphones with the purchases. I've got lg fn7 earbuds worrth 150 with my 48" purchase. I even got to choose the color lol.

Raphael

The same place I've bought c1 last year like 2 weeks before it was in media markt

But what a shit deal. 48" c2 is 350usd more expensive than 48" c1 was on release in the same store... not to mention 48" c1 is now 1000usd.
aaaand Iast year, LG was handing out headphones with the purchases. I've got lg fn7 earbuds worrth 150 with my 48" purchase. I even got to choose the color lol.
God damn the x2 line up is expensive... With those prices everyone will buy out X1s. Shame was hoping i could score a 77c1 at a good price but doubtful now.

Excess

You need to buy a cheap spectrometer and the Calman Home software. Cheap for this will cost you a bit. Software is like $100. Spectrometer is like $150.

Most of it can be done automatically now using the auto features.

Amaranty

Without calibration tools you can use Rtings, Reddit or HDTVTest for best settings aimed at the most accurate picture.

Also, even if you put two of the same TV next to each other, they still might look different in terms of colour. Every panel is slightly different in some way or another.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23

Calibration is not hard....you can use your Series X to do it. I have a DVD and blue and red filters, but you don't really need all that.

JeloSWE

The stutter is a lot less noticeable on those small screens, on modern OLED TVs it will much more noticeable but there's motion interpolation tech to eliminate it without introducing soap opera.

It looks a bit like this during the panning, depending on the camera is might look worse on video.

The dude gives the explanation with the sample and hold tech of modern displays and calls it judder but it's technically stutter.

The lower the fps of the contect, the worse the effect.

That example has nothing to do with OLED screens, judder or stutter. It's just a horrible frame rate mismatch. He's showing a 24 fps animation in a video using 30fps. That is causing the horrible stutter where every 3rd or so single frame is frozen on screen for 2-3 frames.

Sample and hold is not possible to show off through a video per say. You need to actually see some media with panning motion without motion blur in a game or animation on a sample and hold screen. The blur is created in your eyes as they track motion and keep moving continuously during the time each frame is held on screen, thus creating natural motion blur on your retinas. Only way to mitigate this is by using Black Frame Insertion or a really high frame rate 120+, you may need some thing closer to 240fps and beyond in certain situations.

Ulysses 31

That example has nothing to do with OLED screens, judder or stutter. It's just a horrible frame rate mismatch. He's showing a 24 fps animation in a video using 30fps. That is causing the horrible stutter where every 3rd or so single frame is frozen on screen for 2-3 frames.

Sample and hold is not possible to show off through a video per say. You need to actually see some media with panning motion without motion blur in a game or animation on a sample and hold screen. The blur is created in your eyes as they track motion and keep moving continuously during the time each frame is held on screen, thus creating natural motion blur on your retinas. Only way to mitigate this is by using Black Frame Insertion or a really high frame rate 120+, you may need some thing closer to 240fps and beyond in certain situations.
The video is not 100% representative of the stutter but it's to give an idea what it is to the viewers. The stutter is even worse in reality since its a constant presence each second.

Sadly, BFI is not really useable in a lot of cases since it causes flickering on light backgrounds and there's a noticeable brightness hit.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

The video is not 100% representative of the stutter but it's to give an idea what it is to the viewers. The stutter is even worse in reality since its a constant presence each second.

Sadly, BFI is not really useable in a lot of cases since it causes flickering on light backgrounds and there's a noticeable brightness hit.
Yes, BFI lower than 120hz is really tiresome on the eyes. And as you said, you lose a lot of brightness as well.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So, with all of last year's models seeing deep discounts, both online and brick and mortar, I decided to take the plunge. Here's what I got:
  • 65" LG C1 for $1649 with an extra 2 year warranty thrown in.
  • 55" G1 for $1396 with a 5 year warranty automatically included.
  • 55" A80j for $1399.
Honestly, all of these televisions are fantastic...I can't really say anything truly negative about any of them, except for the C1 and G1 having non-removable power cords, which is rather lame for a 2021 electronic device, but not a complete dealbreaker.

Some general thoughts:
  • The LG C1 and G1 are not far apart at all, but the G1's 5 year warranty and better build quality seals the deal--it's just better.
  • The LGs provide gaming perfection. Honestly, I love what LG has done with the gamer dashboard. God bless them for that.
  • The Sony A80J seems to get nearly as bright as the G1 and, in my opinion, displays a superior picture when watching movies or shows, bested slightly by both C1 and G1 with games.
  • The Sony A80J makes an old-timey "click" when you turn the unit on, which might be charming to some, obnoxious to others.
  • I hate to be that guy, but OLED really does ruin most LED displays for me (not all of them, though) because of the precise colors, deep blacks, and reduced eyestrain.
  • Buying all of these units at such deep discounts makes everything that much sweeter.

I think this is spot on. I spent an hour with the LGs getting them to look better. I was a little surprised by how bad they looked out of the box. That was not the case with Sony.

Last edited:

Gamespawn

Make sure you get a soundbar or av system ready when you get an LG. speakers sound terrible. If you can, spring for one with earc, helps a lot with the sound lip sync.

Top Bottom