• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OOTP Baseball 2016 League: Because We All Know The Show Will be Broken

eznark

Banned
Any suggestions on what to take care of first for first-time players?

Honestly, just set your lineup and rotation (I like to get real granular with platoons when I can) , familiarize yourself with your farm system, and identify weaknesses you want to address.

Understand your financial situation, look at potential extensions, etc. The thing to definitely understand is that each season will only take like 6 weeks tops, so long term thinking is the only thing that should matter.

THIS IS A GM LEAGUE. Your focus should be on the franchise, not on the field.

Beckx

Any suggestions on what to take care of first for first-time players?

Set your lineups and rotations. If you're not sure about depth charts just ask the coaches to set them, then see what you like.

Check your to-do list on the manager home page. you'll have a list of things that need to be taken care of, like open coaching staff positions, that kind of thing. this is also where you'll see injury issues that you need to take care of during the season.

Check your owner's goals for you and see how crazy they are.

Check your contract status with your important players. Check your cash situation.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How does FA signings work? I wanted to sign a couple guys off the street like Carlos Marmol but not really sure how it works if everyone else can sign him as well?

eznark

Banned
How does FA signings work? I wanted to sign a couple guys off the street like Carlos Marmol but not really sure how it works if everyone else can sign him as well?

Make an offer, if he likes it he'll accept. If someone offers him more he'll probably accept that.

They do have personalities and stuff though, so it's possible he just won't pitch for the Rays or that he'll take less money from someone else. It's a negotiation process. In my experience they usually don't sign the first offer.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yeah I noticed that. Tried to offer Niemann a deal and he refused because Kevin Cash is my manager. Guess Cash must have shit in his bag when they were both in the minors or something.

eznark

Banned
REMINDER:

If you do something idiotic with a contract, I will cancel it. If it's something that has not been done before, say Kris Bryan is a moron and will agree to a 30 year deal or some shit, I am going to delete it. There will be no discussion.

Just because you are able to manipulate the algorithms to make a player accept a deal that is not in their best interest does not mean I will accept the deal. I'll be more lenient on trades until it starts affecting competitive balance, so stop circling Bob just because he is slow. He'll only be allowed to fuck his team so much.

Act like an adult. If you are a chiseling douche bag, I will take your team from you.

REMINDER:

If you do something idiotic with a contract, I will cancel it. If it's something that has not been done before, say Kris Bryan is a moron and will agree to a 30 year deal or some shit, I am going to delete it. There will be no discussion.

Just because you are able to manipulate the algorithms to make a player accept a deal that is not in their best interest does not mean I will accept the deal. I'll be more lenient on trades until it starts affecting competitive balance, so stop circling Bob just because he is slow. He'll only be allowed to fuck his team so much.

Act like an adult. If you are a chiseling douche bag, I will take your team from you.

In my case one of my goals is to extend David Price. He's looking for 7 years at I think $168 million total. I'm obviously going to try and negotiate a bit, but 7 years is fairly realistic for what pitching market has been. So if I offered him the 7 I'd be fine, right? We didn't decide to put a year cap at like 5 or 6 did we?

Sanjuro

In my case one of my goals is to extend David Price. He's looking for 7 years at I think $168 million total. I'm obviously going to try and negotiate a bit, but 7 years is fairly realistic for what pitching market has been. So if I offered him the 7 I'd be fine, right? We didn't decide to put a year cap at like 5 or 6 did we?

7 vs 30...

Sanjuro

No I realize that. I thought I remembered way early on a conversation about potentially capping contract offers at like 5 years so that there were actually free agents available. Just making sure we didn't set any rules like that.

Maybe. I'm not sure how the game works with a player fielding that offer. I'm used to the world of Madden where they will decline a max offer because he is upset, only to take the league minimum in FA.

5-7 years for Price, at 30, if he takes it, seems pretty realistic for a Little Caesars franchise.

eznark

Banned

Yeah, that's fine. He is 29. If you want to pay him $24m a year til he is 36 go nuts. That's totally reasonable.

My point is more "don't try to set new precedents" in this league. There are always ways to game the negotiating AI in OOTP games. Don't try. I have an incredibly low tolerance for bullshit.

For instance, we had an owner try to get away with a 20 year, $400m contract with $50m in each of the first two years and $16m every year thereafter. Upload that contract and I will boot you.

Maybe. I'm not sure how the game works with a player fielding that offer. I'm used to the world of Madden where they will decline a max offer because he is upset, only to take the league minimum in FA.

5-7 years for Price, at 30, if he takes it, seems pretty realistic for a Little Caesars franchise.

We do love our $5 Hot-N-Ready.

eznark

Banned
No I realize that. I thought I remembered way early on a conversation about potentially capping contract offers at like 5 years so that there were actually free agents available. Just making sure we didn't set any rules like that.

We eventually had to do that in my other league, but that was because it had been going on for 30 seasons. If we end up having to do something similar I will consider the league a huge success.

eznark

Banned
Make sure you check your personnel tab and see if you have any coaching vacancies. I had to offer a few contracts there.

ryseing

For those on OSX, the "saved_games" folder is hidden from regular access. In the OOTP troubleshooting, they have a quick link to that exact folder, and just plop both files in there.

I'm used to the Windows method more where that folder normally appears in the My Documents.

Thanks for the heads up. Trying to set everything up ATM and was confused on that point.

REMINDER:

You should hand out fines.

Updated and uploaded.

Also since I've already gotten asked, Alex Jackson is not currently available for trade.

Nelson Cruz is though!

Edit: Oh wait I gotta check coaching vacancies. I'll do that real quick.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is it normal to have 7 coaching vacancies? All low level spots, but still.

Yeah, I had 5 or 6 I think. Later in the season you can offer extensions to every coach with an expiring contract at the same time to streamline things.

ryseing

Honestly, just set your lineup and rotation (I like to get real granular with platoons when I can) , familiarize yourself with your farm system, and identify weaknesses you want to address.

Understand your financial situation, look at potential extensions, etc. The thing to definitely understand is that each season will only take like 6 weeks tops, so long term thinking is the only thing that should matter.

THIS IS A GM LEAGUE. Your focus should be on the franchise, not on the field.

It's not allowing me to set rotation/lineup. This is intentional, yes?

brentech

A note about playing on multiple machines on the same day/window:

If you have made changes/updates on Machine A, you need to export them. Then import them on Machine B for them to show up (obviously, both machines need the latest league file).

Export/Import is basically saving your work to the cloud before the league file updates.

It's not allowing me to set rotation/lineup. This is intentional, yes?

Depends on who your manager is. Certain managers want more control over the team. Others allow you to fiddle with rotations/lineups and tactics.

ryseing

If you have made changes/updates on Machine A, you need to export them. Then import them on Machine B for them to show up (obviously, both machines need the latest league file).

Export/Import is basically saving your work to the cloud before the league file updates.

Depends on who your manager is. Certain managers want more control over the team. Others allow you to fiddle with rotations/lineups and tactics.

It's based on your manager, I believe.

Gotch y'all.

Thanks.

Think I'll leave it as is for now, see how he does.

Sorry to be a PITA, but I keep getting error 201. I extracted the settings file to the correct place, so I'm not sure what's going on.

TheCrow

You might be able to adjust the team control settings to give you power over the lineup/pitching rotation.

Also, it would be great if people used the in game trading block.

eznark

Banned
Rangers can be adjusted. If you go into Control & Auto Play Setting, you can give yourself control of the lineups and rotation.

Just browsing through teams, it's interesting which you can and can't, Matheny allows GM tampering? No way

TheCrow

Wait, how you import the file? I assume that's not downloading the latest league file since that just reverted all my changes. :(

brentech

Wait, how you import the file? I assume that's not downloading the latest league file since that just reverted all my changes. :(
So long as you exported after your changes, you can go to your manager office. On the right side of screen should be the Manager and GM Actions. Select Import Team via FTP and you should have your changes back.
So I'm curious. I'm looking at the player draft pool. Am I right in assuming the following player won't be available in the draft?

http://gobl.obleague.com/lg/reports/html/players/player_38201.html

Does the draft pool keep track of players through their high school career until they are of a draftable age?

In game schedule says the actual draft pool is announced May 7. So maybe...maybe not

TheCrow

So long as you exported after your changes, you can go to your manager office. On the right side of screen should be the Manager and GM Actions. Select Import Team via FTP and you should have your changes back.

Yeah i figured it out eventually. That option should also be under the file tab. Well I'm done for the day.

brentech

How often does the site update. I've uploaded my files, but my rosters on the site don't yet reflect the changes I've made.

Again, nothing you guys do changes anything until the league advances; Meaning when Eznark or I import your team files, advance the week, and upload the league file.
You are the only person that knows what changes you have made until this happens.

The website is set to update every night at 2am eastern, so long as reports have been regenerated.

Again, nothing you guys do changes anything until the league advances; Meaning when Eznark or I import your team files, advance the week, and upload the league file.
You are the only person that knows what changes you have made until this happens.

The website is set to update every night at 2am eastern, so long as reports have been regenerated.

Gotcha. Sorry for being a noob. I've not done this before.

I see a press release that someone named Timothy Borski is GM of the Jays while I am GM of the Red Sox.

I am in the Jays interface though.

Top Bottom