• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OOTP Baseball 2016 League: Because We All Know The Show Will be Broken

brentech

So, by the looks of most current export:

Blue Jays
Marlins
Dodgers

Are all inactive. Would really like to have the teams controlled asap so a new GM can really control the outcome of this upcoming season.
Anyone know, without a doubt, that any other team is vacant?

Going to search for some GMs by the end of day.

My only hope is that David Glass dies and his son or whoever really wants a winner! I have $0 for free agent signings. Alex Gordon is gone even though one of my goals was to extend him. I did not do well in arbitration. The 2016 Kansas City Royals are dooooomed!

I've had no money for signings or extensions for a good while thanks to my penny pinching owner and the ridiculous inherited contracts or Mauer, Santana and Nolasco. Jesus, I've grown to hate those guys. (In GOBL, not necessarily real life, although Mauer definitely does irk me.) I've made a couple (small) signings anyway. I just told my owner to "Deal with it!" :p He wants me to play close to .500 ball this year with NO room to maneuver. Time for some young guys to put on the big boy pants and gotta hope for no big injuries and that my bull-pen can play lights-out and that the bulk of my starting staff suddenly becomes Sandy Koufax and that pigs start growing wings. Maybe it's not as dire as all that, but I will be hugely relieved when I can get out from under the weight of a few non-producing contracts.

Beckx

I've had no money for signings or extensions for a good while thanks to my penny pinching owner and the ridiculous inherited contracts or Mauer, Santana and Nolasco. Jesus, I've grown to hate those guys. (In GOBL, not necessarily real life, although Mauer definitely does irk me.) I've made a couple (small) signings anyway. I just told my owner to "Deal with it!" :p He wants me to play close to .500 ball this year with NO room to maneuver. Time for some young guys to put on the big boy pants and gotta hope for no big injuries and that my bull-pen can play lights-out and that the bulk of my starting staff suddenly becomes Sandy Koufax and that pigs start growing wings. Maybe it's not as dire as all that, but I will be hugely relieved when I can get out from under the weight of a few non-producing contracts.

The benefit of my inheriting a Neil Huntington GM'd small market team has been enormous.

I'm terrified of how I'll fuck it up. It's not a question of if, just "how much."

fuck

ryseing

The benefit of my inheriting a Neil Huntington GM'd small market team has been enormous.

I'm terrified of how I'll fuck it up. It's not a question of if, just "how much."

Disadvantage of playing a big market team. You have loads of terrible contracts and pressure to win now.

So worried I'm going to fuck something up.

I have $43 million available for free agents this offseason. I can't tell if thats a lot or not. But fuck I'm gonna extend a few guys I guess.

Decent amount. FA market is shit though.

Ya I'm looking at a few trades but I don't have a ton of great prospects. Also every single coach I gave an offer to turned it down. I'm so pissed. I have like 50% of my coach positions to fill and its super tedious.

BigAT

While I appreciate the technological reasons that it exists, I have to say negotiating and signing people in this manner is pretty frustrating. It is really tough to not get any feedback on a player you want and make an offer to until it might already be too late. Maybe your back up options are gone by that point as well.

Beckx

Protip: If you like your coaches make sure to click the "offer extensions to all minor league personnel"

Goddammit.

In my defense I always play with coaches off.

While I appreciate the technological reasons that it exists, I have to say negotiating and signing people in this manner is pretty frustrating. It is really tough to not get any feedback on a player you want and make an offer to until it might already be too late. Maybe your back up options are gone by that point as well.

On flip side, the contracts that result from fear and uncertainty are entertaining.

I made a fuck up on an offer I put out today precisely for that reason. Oh well.

eznark

Banned
Starting now the advancement period will be reduced significantly. The most we'll ever do is 3 days and in my experience that results in solid back and forth negotiations.

Today the advancement period will be 1 day, then you have until tomorrow night to get me your list of Rule 5 drafts. Remember, if you draft these guys they have to stay on your 25 man roster all year long.

Starting now the advancement period will be reduced significantly. The most we'll ever do is 3 days and in my experience that results in solid back and forth negotiations.

Today the advancement period will be 1 day, then you have until tomorrow night to get me your list of Rule 5 drafts. Remember, if you draft these guys they have to stay on your 25 man roster all year long.
Hey ez, when will the stl/col trade go through? It's going to give me some financial flexibility.

eznark

Banned
Hey ez, when will the stl/col trade go through? It's going to give me some financial flexibility.

I have not decided, and just so you know I have a deal in limbo as well which would have significant cash impacts. There is a part of me that wants to wait til winter meetings. I'll decide tonight. It will either be after the rule 5 or on December 19th or whatever when winter meetings start.

brentech

I have not decided, and just so you know I have a deal in limbo as well which would have significant cash impacts. There is a part of me that wants to wait til winter meetings. I'll decide tonight. It will either be after the rule 5 or on December 19th or whatever when winter meetings start.

I'm fine with it going through at any point. Would be kind of nice to just get it done since we talked it over and we could both move on knowing what we got.
Also understand holding off for a little more fireworks.

Ok, good to know.

Beckx

My owner still thinks I can get an "extension" for Bastardo, who has elected free agency and will not speak to me (not that the latter even matters, no way I'll pay what he's asking).

eznark

Banned
I'm fine with it going through at any point. Would be kind of nice to just get it done since we talked it over and we could both move on knowing what we got.
Also understand holding off for a little more fireworks.

lol we did it in steam which doesn't save chat logs so I don't remember the details!

BigAT

My owner still thinks I can get an "extension" for Bastardo, who has elected free agency and will not speak to me (not that the latter even matters, no way I'll pay what he's asking).

Same for me with Cueto. He won't even speak to me because he hates Matheny apparently.

eznark

Banned
Two interesting deals going through tonight.

Brewers send:
Carlos Gomez
Josh Fellhaurer

Indiana send:
Jesus Aguilar
Micharl Bourne
Trevor Holt

Brewers had to move Gomez and have a gaping hole at first base after this season. Aguilar is expected to come in and contribute in 2016 and start 2017 on. Gomez was in a contract year and the Brewers cannot afford him. He's a huge upgrade for Cleveland and is actually cheaper this year. I do not know why Brent loves Fellhaurer but I'll be annoyed if the guy turns awesome.

Cardinals send:
Adam Wainwright
Seth Maness
Alex Reyes

Rockies send:
Forrest Wall
Trevor Story

Jesus what a haul for the Cardinals. NL Central may as well pack it up. Oof. Don't get what Colorado is doing with this one, especially since they now want to move Tulo but I look forward to hearing the rationale.

BigAT

I'll take Matheny back if you want :)

I'm having a bit of buyers remorse since it seems he won't let me control the lineup/rotation, which is the reason I moved on from Bryan Price in the first place. Hopefully he will make less boneheaded decisions than Price did.

brentech

He's a huge upgrade for Cleveland and is actually cheaper this year. I do not know why Brent loves Fellhaurer but I'll be annoyed if the guy turns awesome.

Can play all 3 positions in the outfield. Easy depth, and his defensive abilities aren't questioned by either scouting method. My scout actually has his hitting improving, but by and large, I'm trying to improve team defense. Whether he is out there as a starter or only comes in for relief days I like his foundation.

I'm having a bit of buyers remorse since it seems he won't let me control the lineup/rotation, which is the reason I moved on from Bryan Price in the first place. Hopefully he will make less boneheaded decisions than Price did.
Yeah he locks that in. Originally it bothered me but then I've tried to shift to 'playing' the GM role and letting the managers do their thing. I don't recall many dumb moves by him, near the end of the season when I was paying attention more and I was managing a bunch of injuries I did notice some decisions that I questioned. Nothing significant though.

eznark

Banned
Yeah he locks that in. Originally it bothered me but then I've tried to shift to 'playing' the GM role and letting the managers do their thing. I don't recall many dumb moves by him, near the end of the season when I was paying attention more and I was managing a bunch of injuries I did notice some decisions that I questioned. Nothing significant though.

Yeah, I wish I could lock that stuff for all teams! It's available for me, but I think if I want to change that stuff I just need to change my manager.

Speaking of....

I hired an Australian manager by mistake. he's ratings arent bad, i just fucked up. ill give him a chance since i can control lineups and stuff.

I have $43 million available for free agents this offseason. I can't tell if thats a lot or not. But fuck I'm gonna extend a few guys I guess.

That's a lot. I have $13mm or so, but some of that is my fault for giving Fernando Rodney a QO. I thought for sure he'd chase a long term deal!

Whatever my bullpen is elite. I've got shut down lefties just sitting in AAA because I have so much bullpen depth.

Beckx

Same. I sometimes wish Robo-Hurdle wouldn't make strange decisions (I think Tony Sanchez must have pictures of him because any time I dare put him on the 25 man he automatically goes into the primary catcher spot) but what can you do?

NL Central may as well pack it up. Oof.

Because they just acquired two prospects who won't be ready for the show this year? lol ok.

I missed the playoffs by one game and none of my pitchers had an ERA below 4, so I set out to acquire an ace, not much to think about really...

eznark

Banned
Because they just acquired two prospects who won't be ready for the show this year? lol ok.

I missed the playoffs by one game and none of my pitchers had an ERA below 4, so I set out to acquire an ace, not much to think about really...

Neither did Wainwright.

His FIP was a full run higher than last year, he gave up home runs three times as often and his ground ball rate fell. He is 34, coming off a mediocre season and you traded two future studs and took on $60m in salary.

Not much to think about indeed.

my scout actually doesn't like Story or Wall

That's a lot. I have $13mm or so, but some of that is my fault for giving Fernando Rodney a QO. I thought for sure he'd chase a long term deal!

Whatever my bullpen is elite. I've got shut down lefties just sitting in AAA because I have so much bullpen depth.

I have decent hitting numbers but my pitching is nothing to write home about.

Sounds like you should go all-in on snagging Cueto!

Ehhhh I threw in a offer to Daniel Murphy knowing that he probably wasn't going to accept it. I don't know how much higher I want to go in FA (although I think I have the money to snag a top guy). This team already has some big contracts.

Also his numbers from last year didn't look as good. Didn't look into too deeply though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rule 5 requires you to have open space on the 25 man right? So should we PM you with who we would like to send to AAA or something or just make room before hand? Or do they just have to be on the 25 man later on?

BigAT

Rule 5 requires you to have open space on the 25 man right? So should we PM you with who we would like to send to AAA or something or just make room before hand? Or do they just have to be on the 25 man later on?

I don't think there actually is a 25-man roster yet since it's the offseason, so you only need a spot open on the 40 man. Coming out of spring training though the player would have to make your 25-man roster in order to keep him. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom