• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OOTP Baseball 2016 League: Because We All Know The Show Will be Broken

My team is first in the NL in runs against, starters era, and defensive eff. 2nd in bullpen ERA but 14th in runs scored and 15th in home runs. If we could just score a few runs we would be pretty good again this year.

My bullpen has a horrible week dropped from 2nd to 9th!

My 23 year old 2b Jose Peraza is batting .335! Ozzie is struggling though on pace for a -4.4 war

Chris Archer on pace to go 4-26 with a 3.2 WAR. In his last 5 starts my team has put up a total of 4 runs. I'd be furious with the offense if I was him. All my other starters are getting shutouts. 3 starters with an era under 3.00.

All 3 of my righty relievers have an ERA over 7! Only my right handed closer has a decent era other than all of my lefties which are playing great

eznark

Banned
Down goes Brantley and Gomez (4 and 5 weeks). Outfield is crashing. Brantley missed like 6 months last season.

ryan-braun.jpg

Going on vacay for 2 weeks, won't be uploading but put billy beans in charge of things. I expect everyone good to be traded by the time I get back.

GL HF see you in a couple weeks.

7 day sim is up.
Next sim takes us to the First year player draft, so be sure to have your draft list set up.
Just a question, what day do you plan on simming the draft? Just super busy with a lot of stuff going on and heading out on a business trip in a couple days so I'd like to know when I need to set aside some time to get the draft list done.

brentech

Just a question, what day do you plan on simming the draft? Just super busy with a lot of stuff going on and heading out on a business trip in a couple days so I'd like to know when I need to set aside some time to get the draft list done.

Tomorrow's sim will take us up to the day before the draft. So Saturday would be the day the draft happens.

brentech

Simming later today, but just want to remind to get DRAFT LIST in order if you care! Draft will happen tomorrow unless I'm unable to sim for some reason.

Best sim yet! I went 3-1!

3169UOf.png

SAVE ME ALEX JACKSON

My team leaders in OPS are two guys I got in the Rule 5 draft. Considering that neither of them is among my highest paid offensive players this is not really that great.

brentech

Best sim yet! I went 3-1!

3169UOf.png

SAVE ME ALEX JACKSON

Very nice.
Two of my younger RP in the majors lost 5 in current movement. =(
---------

Side note, we're down 14 players in the league. I'm considering anyone that hasn't exported in the month of October as done with the game. I don't think either of the new guys ever ended up exporting.
After the draft we're going to discuss CPU trades a bit more. It needs to open up with this many people gone.

There's a kid in the draft who hasn't pitched in 3 years but somehow my scout thinks he's one of the best pitchers in the draft.

My 14th round pick from last year is in the draft again, doesn't look like he improved much.

There's at least 4 guys who were first rounders in 2015 that are still in the draft, kind of crazy, some of them have been picked in the first round multiple times.

Edit: Brent I was gonna ask, how do CPU trades work right now anyhow?

brentech

Edit: Brent I was gonna ask, how do CPU trades work right now anyhow?
The CPU-CPU trades just happen willy-nilly. I have nothing to do with them. They deal between themselves freely.

Unfortunately, OOTP doesn't provide a method for online league players to submit possible trades with the CPU inside the game. The commissioner is the only person that can issue a trade offer / force a trade for Player-Player and Player-CPU.
With that in mind, I don't want to have a mailbox full of trade requests, so we have to work on a system that both limits the amount of trade offers someone can have me attempt and also makes it so any offers made have some thought behind them.

Was thinking of a league member vote on trades (division opponents excluded), but that may take even more time and tracking then I want to deal with. That's the kind of stuff we'll need to discuss. Get some ideas on how to handle this to ensure it's all still fair, but we can actually make use of all 30 teams as the league should.

brentech

4 Day Sim and Draft complete. Be sure to make decent offers to your players.

Will sim 3 days the next two times, then move back to 7 day sims.

Looks like my team drafted like 1 pitcher and a bunch of awful catchers and second basemen. Guess I'll have to promote all the dudes from my international complex to pitch.

Ugh that draft sucked. Twins, want to trade me Joseph?

Lol, He was the ONLY guy I felt like I lusted after. :p I manually put him at the top of my board and let my Scout handle everything else- which he sucked horribly at! :(

I hope he'll take my offer. He's listed as extremely hard for me to sign, so we'll see. I'm meeting his demand, but will go over if necessary.

Edit: Can the designer of this damn game or someone here explain to me the rationale of your own scout going against their own goddamn ratings! I swear. My scout drafted several guys he had @ 20 when I know there were higher rated guys on his board. And it's not like these guys he picked were rated highly by the OSA either. It no make sense to my dumb brain! It doesn't seem like a complex thing to me. If your scout evaluates guy A @ 64, for example, and he's on the board, then WHYYYYYY does he pick some guy who he thinks is a scrub! GAH! I think this game is a psychological experiment to test the limits of player sanity- THAT'S the real game we're playing!

brentech

3 Day sim coming up!

If you fail to negotiate with your draftees on the first attempt, make a good offer now, because I'm only doing one more 3 day sim and then we're back to the normal 7 day.

eznark

Banned
Lol, He was the ONLY guy I felt like I lusted after. :p I manually put him at the top of my board and let my Scout handle everything else- which he sucked horribly at! :(

I hope he'll take my offer. He's listed as extremely hard for me to sign, so we'll see. I'm meeting his demand, but will go over if necessary.

Edit: Can the designer of this damn game or someone here explain to me the rationale of your own scout going against their own goddamn ratings! I swear. My scout drafted several guys he had @ 20 when I know there were higher rated guys on his board. And it's not like these guys he picked were rated highly by the OSA either. It no make sense to my dumb brain! It doesn't seem like a complex thing to me. If your scout evaluates guy A @ 64, for example, and he's on the board, then WHYYYYYY does he pick some guy who he thinks is a scrub! GAH! I think this game is a psychological experiment to test the limits of player sanity- THAT'S the real game we're playing!

Positional need within the organization, which is dumb.

Positional need within the organization, which is dumb.

Yeah, that could be the only explanation that has any semblance of logic behind it, and of course it's dumb. You win in baseball (and any other sport) with talent, not because you have enough 2Bs (or whatever), lol.

Next season, I'm going to go ahead and, ugh, manually drag and drop every person according to my scouts ratings (and my own preferences) from top to bottom- or at least the first several rounds. There really ought to be a way to focus your draft, to build a hierarchy of organizational importance. In other words, what do you want your team to focus on? There should be a way to prioritize pitching, for example and make a list from most to least important- pitching, defense, speed, leadership ability, whatever, and your scout should follow that list. Also it would be great to be able to set parameters within each ranking. For example, let's say I've prioritized pitching as my highest draft focus. Within that category, I should be able to further prioritize and decide that within pitching, I want a premium placed upon ground-ballers, just in the way of example. You should also be able to set limitations on ratings that would override a pick. In other words, let's say a player meets all your criteria other than the fact that your scout has him rated with a low overall potential. In that case it should have it bump that pick for a better prospect, regardless of the fit you're looking for. It would be so much easier than the crap-shoot you get without doing everything manually.

I hate to ramble on so much and rant about this game. I only do so because it's so close to something utterly amazing- for me, at least. Granted, this issue doesn't apply as much if you're playing solo and going through one day at a time as Manager/GM. It would still be nice, even in that scenario though.

I really love this game, but every time I find myself getting lost in baseball bliss, something taps me on the shoulder and says, "But, look at this." Great, great game, but it could stand for some significant improvements, imho.

brentech

Early season Cleveland Indians Report
-----------------------------
Tony Wolters makes a claim in the early season for Indians MVP, started the year on the bench and forced his way into a starting role (2B).

Originally Jason Kipnis had a short injury and Wolters covered 10 games at second. Perfect defensive grade and hit well.
Then C Yan Gomes went down and Wolters has a decent enough catcher rating so I gave him a shot. Did good enough defensively and improved his offense over the 20 games he had to start.

Kipnis will ride the pine and become a base-runner as needed, he's hitting like garbage so far this year. 96 AB, .156
With LF Brantley and CF Gomez down, the young outfield struggled to pick up their slack on offense at first, but has come to life since.
Jose Ramirez isn't getting a chance to start, but is the first backup at 7 positions while the injured outfielders recover for another 2 weeks.

brentech

Sim: 6/13/17 - 6/120/17
Update is available now.

This leaves 2, maybe 3 updates until you need to finish negotiating with draft picks.

The only unsigned guys I have left are kids with no previous stats and 21 potential who want $2mm or more to sign. Eff them.

Now I just have to figure out how to get playing time for all the kids I did sign.

The only unsigned guys I have left are kids with no previous stats and 21 potential who want $2mm or more to sign. Eff them.

Now I just have to figure out how to get playing time for all the kids I did sign.

Me too. I have guys with over 60 potential that didn't even want that much but guys with 20 potential want over 2 mil!

brentech

Sim: 6/20/17 - 6/27/17
Update is available now.

Next sim is for 5 days to the international FA signing period.
3 days after that, Draft Pick signing deadline, so you better offer big at this point if you want them.

BTW the VSL, DSL and NWL all started before this last sim and I'm sure other rookie leagues have started so you might want to make sure your lineups and rotations are set for those, gotta get those prospects play time!

I really need to overhaul my whole minor league system, some guys should have been in single or double A instead of the GCL and DSL but whatever it's starting now.

Jarred Cosart once again is hurt and out for the season with a torn rotator cuff. I finally have an excuse to call up Jose Urena who was killing it in the minors.

Fuck. I brought my laptop to try and do this while I'm away from home, but I forgot I have to download the file and I don't remember how to do this. I'll be back way late Saturday but is there any way for Brent or Eznark to just check on my roster after updates to make sure no is hurt and is wasting a roster spot?

Saw the instructions in the OP I'll give that a try tomorrow.

brentech

Sim: 6/27/17 - 7/02/17
Update is available now.

International FA are now available to sign.
Next sim will be back to 7 days and take us through the Draft Pick Signing Deadline. Last chance to make an offer on those guys.

Would still like any input on Player-CPU trades. Another CPU-CPU trade was made this simulation (Blue Jays/Phillies). Unfortunately there is no other way than manually processing the trade when in an online league.
I get a sense that having a league vote would take to long and get lost in the thread, so while that's probably the best way to make it fair, it's just not the best way to keep the league moving.

Top Bottom