• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OOTP Baseball 2016 League: Because We All Know The Show Will be Broken

eznark

Banned
I like your ideas. If I may offer an opinion. I know you don't want an entire league vote, which makes sense to me too.

My only suggestion is that you or ez as commissioner make an initial ruling. After that, the league member proposing the trade is allowed a single appeal- if they so desire- in which 3 random and anonymous league members are chosen to chime in on the trade. (again just via a back and forth with you/ez, in an anonymous fashion-PMs) If 100% (3/3) approve the trade, they would win the appeal and the trade would go through, otherwise, the trade is dead.

Just an idea. I know getting an entire league vote would be too much, but this may be a compromise, in the interest of a consensus of sorts.

That's too cumbersome, but if this becomes a problem then maybe.

The league members who are randomly chosen will not be anonymous though.

brentech

Yeah, I already felt like the process I wrote up was complicated enough as is. I want to be able to make the decisions as quickly as possible, and as it's currently set up, it could take a couple days to hear feedback from other people.
I want people to voice their opinions on the requested trades.
The trade Rommel posted simply couldn't go through even if it was approved, but I, personally, would have voted no.

I don't think a team trades away a franchise style player in a 23 year old RFer for a 2nd tier or possibly lower pitcher who isn't having a great season (the worst reds pitcher was equal or better this year to date).
Regardless of where the reds are as a club, I don't think they make the trade regardless of the minor league talent involved. I would have liked to see what their GM would have said though if it wasn't a money problem.
BUT - I don't watch as much baseball/baseball news as a lot for you guys and that's why I really want/need other peoples opinions.

No player-CPU trade will go through without being approved by CPU team, my or eznarks approval, and at least some response in the thread. That's where I stand right now. It's not free pickings.

I see.

Btw, who is going to approve you two guys player-cpu trades, brent/ez? You just want the rest of the league to voice their opinion in the thread?

Also, to satisfy my personal curiosity, what are our league trade settings? I don't think that information is visible in-game to league members, is it? And I can't remember if that's been covered already.

brentech

7 Day Sim: July 24 - July 31
Day of the trading deadline.

CPU trade logic difficulty is set to hard at the moment.
Trades between between eznark-cpu would be done by myself with input from the league per usual, and vice versa if I was making the trade.

Cleveland had a 5 game skid that sim. Holding onto that wild card spot by 6 1/2 games at this point. Luckily I had an amazing first two months.

Rommel

If you need a back of the rotation arm I have a number of starters available.

De La Rosa
Chafin
Beaven
Thornburg

All have been solid but I need to work on clearing out the log jam so prospects are what I'd be wanting for them.

I would move Corbin in a package for a top flight RF. I'd make a significant portion of my farm system available too if it's a true top flight RF.

Seattle Trades:

Patrick Kivlehan LF Seattle Mariners (GOBL)

St Louis Trades:
Jack Flaherty P Springfield Cardinals (AA)

And in a separate trade:

Seattle Trades:
James Paxton SP Seattle Mariners (GOBL)

Arizona Trades
Touki Touissant SP Visalia Rawhide (A)
Tyler Humphreys 3B Mobile Baystars (AA)

I've still got plenty of other players available!

Names of interest:
Yoervis Medina RHP
Lucas Luetge LHP
Danny Farquhar RHP
Brian Moran LHP
Won-Shik Lee RF (he sucks against righties but he mashes lefties!)

Plus more! Most of the relievers are running low on cost controlled years so I'll part with them cheaply.

Rommel

Seattle Trades:

Arizona Trades

I confirm. Figure I can get Paxton on track. Guess I'm not getting a bat but seems like Hoes is getting it done.

eznark

Banned
Brewers Send:

Chris Owings (MLB)
Yasmany Tomas (MLB)

Dodgers Send:

Jake Peavy (MLB)
Alex Verdugo (AAA)

I free up money a year sooner and clear up the middle infield situation.

brentech

Code:
AL East

Yankees – **OPEN**
Orioles – **OPEN**
Blue Jays – **OPEN**
Red Sox – Sanjuro
Rays – darkside31337

AL Central

Tigers – Got the Shakes
White Sox – **OPEN**
Twins – synchronicity
Royals – **OPEN**
Indians – brentech

AL West

A’s – CosmicQueso
Angels – DUFFMCWALIN
Rangers – **OPEN**
Mariners – Purple Cheeto
Astros – acheron_xl

NL East

Mets – Dmncnby2k9
Braves – CrimsonCommie
Marlins – ph33nix
Nationals – **OPEN**
Phillies – **OPEN**

NL Central

Cubs – **OPEN**
Reds – **OPEN**
Cards – Shalashaska
Brewers – eznark
Pirates – **OPEN**

NL West

Giants – XiaNaphryz
Dodgers – **OPEN**
Rockies – **OPEN**
Padres – **OPEN**
D’Backs – Rommel
14 teams open (no recent updates, most recent inactive is Sept 10)
But, OOTP is 9.99 until Nov 4th.

Today's sim may be pushed back until this even or even tomorrow in order to facilitate all the trades. If you have a trade in mind, just be sure you have made any changes to your roster and exported if you need to. This sim might just be one day so everyone can get these players on their teams. Lot of movement.

Mcneily said he was gonna try to get the game Friday. Pete told me he might want to come back and zep was thinking about getting the game too but he isn't on gaf anymore so I'm not sure if that'll work

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Code:
AL East

Yankees – **OPEN**
Orioles – **OPEN**
Blue Jays – **OPEN**
Red Sox – Sanjuro
Rays – darkside31337

AL Central

Tigers – Got the Shakes
White Sox – **OPEN**
Twins – synchronicity
Royals – **OPEN**
Indians – brentech

AL West

A’s – CosmicQueso
Angels – DUFFMCWALIN
Rangers – **OPEN**
Mariners – Purple Cheeto
Astros – acheron_xl

NL East

Mets – Dmncnby2k9
Braves – CrimsonCommie
Marlins – ph33nix
Nationals – **OPEN**
Phillies – **OPEN**

NL Central

Cubs – **OPEN**
Reds – **OPEN**
Cards – Shalashaska
Brewers – eznark
Pirates – **OPEN**

NL West

Giants – XiaNaphryz
Dodgers – **OPEN**
Rockies – **OPEN**
Padres – **OPEN**
D’Backs – Rommel
14 teams open (no recent updates, most recent inactive is Sept 10)
But, OOTP is 9.99 until Nov 4th.

Today's sim may be pushed back until this even or even tomorrow in order to facilitate all the trades. If you have a trade in mind, just be sure you have made any changes to your roster and exported if you need to. This sim might just be one day so everyone can get these players on their teams. Lot of movement.

Try advertising in the WS thread.

Got my Surface Pro 4, gonna get OOTP installed on it, woot.

Also, I'm debating whether to go full-on fire sale or not given how well my team is doing.

eznark

Banned
Which Surface Pro 4 did you get? I was going to get a Surface Book but bob talked me out of it. Now I'm looking at a SP4.

Rommel

One last swing for a RF.

Arizona Offers:
Patrick Corbin (MLB)
Brandon Drury (MLB)
Thomas Dillard (A)

For

San Diego:
Wil Myers (MLB)

Gives them a future C down the line with a #2 starter for them. Drury would be their starting 2B immediately.

Try advertising in the WS thread.

Got my Surface Pro 4, gonna get OOTP installed on it, woot.

Also, I'm debating whether to go full-on fire sale or not given how well my team is doing.

Jealous

Which Surface Pro 4 did you get? I was going to get a Surface Book but bob talked me out of it. Now I'm looking at a SP4.

I don't have one yet, good chance I will soon as I'll probably head to the Microsoft Store in the next few days, but I personally think that the $1299 i5 256 SSD with 8 gb ram is the sweet spot unless you really need an i7 for 4k video editing or something along those lines.

brentech

One last swing for a RF.

Arizona Offers:
Patrick Corbin (MLB)
Brandon Drury (MLB)
Thomas Dillard (A)

For

San Diego:
Wil Myers (MLB)

Gives them a future C down the line with a #2 starter for them. Drury would be their starting 2B immediately.
IzcYRtI.png
This is always what I will do first before actually thinking about the trade. Try to process it through the game to see if the team would even want it. From there, then take it to league for thoughts.
But as you can see, it's another no go because of money.

Rommel

I don't have the option to see that sadly.

I'll take Dale Thayer to make the $$ work to see what they would say.

Arizona Offers:
Patrick Corbin (MLB)
Brandon Drury (MLB)
Thomas Dillard (A)

For

San Diego:
Wil Myers (MLB)
Dale Thayer (AAA)

brentech

I don't have the option to see that sadly.

I'll take Dale Thayer to make the $$ work to see what they would say.

Arizona Offers:
Patrick Corbin (MLB)
Brandon Drury (MLB)
Thomas Dillard (A)

For

San Diego:
Wil Myers (MLB)
Dale Thayer (AAA)

The initial reaction of A.J. Prellar: "That's a very bad deal for us. I won't even bother discussing this."
And with that, I need to say that people requesting this many trade attempts is what I'm trying to avoid. It's just too much and I wouldn't be able to keep up with it if you could keep coming back and trying to figure out the right deal.

Other trades will be looked at/processed tomorrow. We'll advance one day.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

i5/16 GB/256 GB

Was tempted by the SB, but with my desktop rig it made more sense having a SP4 for my laptop option.

brentech

Brewers Send:

Chris Owings (MLB)
Yasmany Tomas (MLB)

Dodgers Send:

Jake Peavy (MLB)
Alex Verdugo (AAA)

I free up money a year sooner and clear up the middle infield situation.
Anyone have issue with this say so soon. CPU accepts.

Running all the trades that have been cleared today. Will try to sim at the normal 4-6pm. Again, just a 1 day sim so people who made trades can put those players where they want them, then back to 7 day sims tomorrow.

eznark

Banned
I thought everyone had access to that trade screen. I put it through since the CPU agreed to it.

I tinkered with a bunch of trades involving Braun, Greggerson and Tomas (all have awful contracts) and the CPU was very, very smart. Essentially required me to throw in a very high upside guy to make it work.

If the CPU team agrees at this point, I think I'm going to be ok with it. Interested to see how Rommel breaks the system though.

Only commish can see the trade screen in an online league. That's why it's a pain in the ass to deal with Player-CPU trades.

Not trying to be difficult, but that does make it much easier for you and ez to make player-cpu trades. You guys can tweak and adjust till your heart's content, getting responses from the cpu until things fit. No one else in the league has that advantage.

Rommel wanted to try different variations, but as stated, that's too much work. I don't think things are balanced in this regard. Not trying to single you guys out, but it's not a level playing field.

eznark

Banned
Not trying to be difficult, but that does make it much easier for you and ez to make player-cpu trades. You guys can tweak and adjust till your heart's content, getting responses from the cpu until things fit. No one else in the league has that advantage.

Rommel wanted to try different variations, but as stated, that's too much work. I don't think things are balanced in this regard. Not trying to single you guys out, but it's not a level playing field.

I only tweaked the trade to see if I could break it. From here on in I'll be subject to the same rule as everyone. Each player can be involved in one trade attempt per sim.

Unfortunately in a league like this you pretty much have to trust us. It's not balanced. We have access to every single teams back end. Not only do we know how much money they have, how it is being spent, and what their futures look like we can take all their money away or give them extra on a whim and no alert or anything shows up. We can look at how a player is evaulated by every scout in the game, we can see how your scouts differ from our and play Prospect arbitrage. The ways we can cheat you all are literally endless.... but also pointless. What fun is that?

Honestly if you are worried about our integrity in regards to playing fair, the trade issue should be the least of your concerns.

brentech

I can also tweak every player's contract and stats, but at some point, you have to believe that I have some honor as a human being. I'm not running trades for myself.
Unfortunately, there is simply no other way for an online league to operate. It's not something we can enable.

I logged in as the Astros just to show you what anyone else sees when they try to 'make a trade'.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I didn't realize that when I used the in-game stuff. I won't do that again. except to check other peoples trades.

Can everyone shop a player?

I wasn't questioning you guys integrity or honor. That wasn't my point. I have no issues with you guys as co-commisioners. I was just raising the point that the rest of the league won't have the same access to in-game trade information and wanted to make sure that we establish the transparency of a level play-field for all.

If you guys say that you're going to follow the same player-cpu trade protocols that are available for the rest of the league, that's good enough for me. I'm not attacking anyone. I'm sorry if it came across in that manner.

brentech

I wasn't questioning you guys integrity or honor. That wasn't my point. I have no issues with you guys as co-commisioners. I was just raising the point that the rest of the league won't have the same access to in-game trade information and wanted to make sure that we establish the transparency of a level play-field for all.

If you guys say that you're going to follow the same player-cpu trade protocols that are available for the rest of the league, that's good enough for me. I'm not attacking anyone. I'm sorry if it came across in that manner.

That's why I've been posting the images of the trade request results with the CPU's response. Eznark wasn't aware everyone couldn't see that in their own game. Quickly righted.

On the other hand, with the few trade requests that have been made for the CPU, I've let them hang in the thread for a bit before posting results and literally no one has chimed in on a single one of them. If no one speaks up, all I can ensure is that I'm using my best judgement.

brentech

I don't think you should ever force a trade. If the CPU doesn't agree to it in-game then it shouldn't go through.
Yea. That's the easy first ruling. They have to agree and they have to have the money to do it, obviously.

But like Rommel said, he couldn't see the money situation.
Though, I believe if you select another team on the top right, just as if you wanted to see their "meet the team" page, you could go to their front office tab and see if they are in the red.

Rommel

Yea. That's the easy first ruling. They have to agree and they have to have the money to do it, obviously.

But like Rommel said, he couldn't see the money situation.
Though, I believe if you select another team on the top right, just as if you wanted to see their "meet the team" page, you could go to their front office tab and see if they are in the red.

We don't have access to their front office.

Yeah the main reason I haven't tried to make any trades with the CPU is that its pretty hard to figure out if the CPU would even take the trade since "initiate trade" is unavailable.

I mean I want to propose Garza for Brett Gardner but I'm sure that would be poo pooed.

brentech

Yeah the main reason I haven't tried to make any trades with the CPU is that its pretty hard to figure out if the CPU would even take the trade since "initiate trade" is unavailable.

I mean I want to propose Garza for Brett Gardner but I'm sure that would be poo pooed.
I gave it a test and they actually accept verbally.
So you lose some money this year and next, but can drop him the 3rd year, while they get some money back in the first 2 years and then pay out more for 4 years after I believe.

Any problems with this?

I did look at that when I offered the trade because according to that SD is in the Green. They had a positive projected Balance/had cash/had a positive current Balance.

Makes it real hard to make the finances work. Moot point since they didn't like the trade though :)
I'd love to make it easier for you guys to make trade offers, but outside of making everyone a commish, the game doesn't have a built in option. It is what it is.
If there was different levels of commish, that'd make sense, but I can't have someone screw up and accidentally sim. Nor can I track that many people tooling around in the back end.

I gave it a test and they actually accept verbally.
So you lose some money this year and next, but can drop him the 3rd year, while they get some money back in the first 2 years and then pay out more for 4 years after I believe.

Any problems with this?

I'd love to make it easier for you guys to make trade offers, but outside of making everyone a commish, the game doesn't have a built in option. It is what it is.
If there was different levels of commish, that'd make sense, but I can't have someone screw up and accidentally sim. Nor can I track that many people tooling around in the back end.

Yeah put it through. The experiment failed and Gardner gives me a guy who can actually play CF.

As for the trade stuff, its fine given the limitations. I think putting a rule on how many attempted trades we can make per day seems okay. I did research before I put out the Gardner for Garza swap to find a team with a positional need and salary fit.

brentech

Seattle Trades:

Patrick Kivlehan LF Seattle Mariners (GOBL)

St Louis Trades:
Jack Flaherty P Springfield Cardinals (AA)

And in a separate trade:

Seattle Trades:

Arizona Trades

Brewers Send:

Chris Owings (MLB)
Yasmany Tomas (MLB)

Dodgers Send:

Jake Peavy (MLB)
Alex Verdugo (AAA)

Trades to go through.
Yeah put it through. The experiment failed and Gardner gives me a guy who can actually play CF.

As for the trade stuff, its fine given the limitations. I think putting a rule on how many attempted trades we can make per day seems okay. I did research before I put out the Gardner for Garza swap to find a team with a positional need and salary fit.

Yeah, right now we're going to stick with trade attempt with CPU per day. If people are out of control with it and it makes it hard for me to keep up with the sims, that will drop off.

eznark

Banned
I'd be ok with someone saying "hey, I want to trade player x for player y, can you make it work" and then tinkering with the system.

Welp, came back a couple days too late! Billy traded away Joe Wendle and his high potential, under control contract for Josh Fucking Reddick, who I was jumping for joy about getting rid of last year. And then it trades away two strong relievers for Sterling Marte, who's now the 4th OFer.

Grrrrrr.

I shoulda just left the trading set to me and not Billy but I was kinda interested to see what the CPU would do. Bad CPU, Bad!

Top Bottom