• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OOTP Baseball 2016 League: Because We All Know The Show Will be Broken

Jose Fernandez is 9-10 this year. Having suck a trick or treat season.

If I have to do this one game playoff shit again I think I'm going to give Adam Conley the nod. He's been a stud.

brentech

Jose Fernandez is 9-10 this year. Having suck a trick or treat season.

If I have to do this one game playoff shit again I think I'm going to give Adam Conley the nod. He's been a stud.
Is he 9-10 because he's giving up a bunch of runs, or are the losses like 3-2 and low score like that. Basically is he getting real world Corey Kluber'd? No offensive support.

Is he 9-10 because he's giving up a bunch of runs, or are the losses like 3-2 and low score like that. Basically is he getting real world Corey Kluber'd? No offensive support.

He's actually had quite a few shitty games. He hasn't really had any incredible games this year as far as I know and on occasion I see the 4-6 ER game. It's weird.
Although he did get fucked in the last 2 games

His home run rate is up a tick from the last two years, but his BABIP is about the same as it was 2 years ago. His strike out rate is still phenomenal as is his walk rate.

He's on pace for 4.7 WAR which would be his third best season of his career. Like really the only thing I see that's different is that he is giving up more home runs than ever before which is kind of flukey.

Your team is one of the best in the NL defensively, so yeah, it really just looks like bad run support and flukey home runs.

In terms of Fielding independent stuff he's almost exactly equal to Conley but Fernandez strikes out 2 more guys per 9 innings and is giving up .3 more homers per 9.

Brad Hand on the other hand (har har) is terrible.

brentech

He's actually had quite a few shitty games. He hasn't really had any incredible games this year as far as I know and on occasion I see the 4-6 ER game. It's weird.
Ah okay. That's a bummer.

Just opened the game to sim.
7 Day Sim incoming in about 10-15 minutes. Gotta check my roster and then it's a go.

brentech

Ugh, Indians went 2-5 this sim. 5 1/2 games back in the division, but still 5 games ahead for the AL Wildcard.

The only playoff certainties so far are the Giants and Orioles are eliminated.

I do not, but most of my starters are veterans. In other sims I've messed around with pitch limits for guys who come back from injuries but its nothing I have conclusive feelings about.

Edit: Looks like my VSL team won the championship but my Short A Ball team was unable to repeat. Probably because I promoted almost my entire team to regular A ball.

Meanwhile my AA team is 1 game down in the Southern League championship and my AAA team is up 1-0 in the first round.

So I guess my minors don't suck!

brentech

Yea. I called up my top outfielder just as the playoffs were starting. Oh well.

Remember to resign your coaches guys(if you don't want to try someone else). Those seasons are ending and you can save yourself some time if you don't have to deal with signing them in the offseason.

brentech

I see Baltimore is going bold with a rotation with 2 injured pitchers. Are they on CPU?

That one was kind of before I seemed to take over for the most part. Snuck away from me. Couple others that were more recent in people leaving I left open, but I just retired every manager except the Tigers that haven't updated recently. So only the 16 that are on the current list are under player control now.

I thought Tigers were done a while ago, but then out of no where he had an update. Hopefully still around. /shrug

That one was kind of before I seemed to take over for the most part. Snuck away from me. Couple others that were more recent in people leaving I left open, but I just retired every manager except the Tigers that haven't updated recently. So only the 16 that are on the current list are under player control now.

I thought Tigers were done a while ago, but then out of no where he had an update. Hopefully still around. /shrug

I'm the Tigers and I'm around. Haven't been able to get to updates everyday though. Not sure if it's better for the league to let the CPU take over though if I can't get to it everyday. Let me know.

brentech

I'm the Tigers and I'm around. Haven't been able to get to updates everyday though. Not sure if it's better for the league to let the CPU take over though if I can't get to it everyday. Let me know.

No, that's cool. So long as you're getting an update in every now and then, that's fine.

Yea. I called up my top outfielder just as the playoffs were starting. Oh well.

Remember to resign your coaches guys(if you don't want to try someone else). Those seasons are ending and you can save yourself some time if you don't have to deal with signing them in the offseason.

I just signed former Mariner Chae Sung Baek to be a pitching coach for one of my minor league teams!

Also I left a lot of decent guys at AAA since they were making the playoffs. I probably could've done the same with my other teams and given them better shots at winning but eh.

A part of me is reallllllly tempted to add Aiello to the 40 and give him some burn in September. He crushed AA, and in his one week of AAA he crushed it there too.

It makes me sad/frustrated to see all the guys I traded off performing super well. I wonder what it is about Seattle that they didn't like.

I did notice that Kyle Seager is having a nice bounce back season, almost 4 WAR.

Robinson Cano's OBP dropped by 60 points this season, and his slugging is almost completely gone. God that contract is just gonna get worse.

Decided it is time for the kids to make their debuts. Gives me something to enjoy the final week or so of the season.

brentech

One more team eliminated from playoff contention: Philadelphia Phillies

Bummed I waited so long to promote this outfielder. Not much of a sample, but so far he's doing decent enough that he probably could have replaced or backed up my weak outfield for the playoffs if I brought him in earlier.

Robinson Cano's OBP dropped by 60 points this season, and his slugging is almost completely gone. God that contract is just gonna get worse.

I certainly don't envy you with that Cano contract. I'm almost free from Mauer's deal, and it will be a great relief.

Although you are at least fortunate that you are a franchise that typically has some money to spend.

I just hate how in OOTP players usually just fall off cliffs. Like instead of slowly declined Cano went from a 4.4 win player to a 1.4 win player. He was an AS last season and won the Silver Slugger and now he's basically a replacement level player. 180 points gone from his OPS.

And only 6 more years to go!

Miguel Gonzalez has start FOURTY FOUR games for the Baltimore Orioles. Holy god the Orioles had him pitch on the 11th. 14th and 18th! That's criminal. Poor dude is probably happy to be a free agent. Bud Norris has FOURTY TWO starts. That means those two guys have started 86 of the Orioles 146 games. Or about 59%. Wow. Dylan Bundy has appeared in 40 games but only started 5.

I wonder if this has to do with how the game screws up your rotation if you don't manage it manually?

brentech

I just hate how in OOTP players usually just fall off cliffs. Like instead of slowly declined Cano went from a 4.4 win player to a 1.4 win player. He was an AS last season and won the Silver Slugger and now he's basically a replacement level player. 180 points gone from his OPS.
It's possible this happened to Jason Kipnis as well. Only thing in his favor is he had an early season injury and never seemed to come back from it, in terms of performance.
If I lock up a playoff spot Id like to play him again to see if he can get back into form and possibly trade.
Promoted his replacement and he's been great.

I know what you mean about falling off cliffs. I thought signing Encarnacion coming off a huge season wouldn't be too terrible, but he's put up negative WAR for me. At least I only gave him one year.

Isn't this his age 35 season? Dude's getting up there.

eznark

Banned

And only 6 more years to go!

Miguel Gonzalez has start FOURTY FOUR games for the Baltimore Orioles. Holy god the Orioles had him pitch on the 11th. 14th and 18th! That's criminal. Poor dude is probably happy to be a free agent. Bud Norris has FOURTY TWO starts. That means those two guys have started 86 of the Orioles 146 games. Or about 59%. Wow. Dylan Bundy has appeared in 40 games but only started 5.

I wonder if this has to do with how the game screws up your rotation if you don't manage it manually?

Super unrealistic for Robinson Cano to lose 3 WAR over one season.........................

481b5d1493434fad960dd42e8e31dd19-1020x750.jpg

Isn't this his age 35 season? Dude's getting up there.

Super unrealistic for Robinson Cano to lose 3 WAR over one season.........................

I didn't say him losing 3 WAR was unrealistic, it is completely realistic. His power eroding is 100% normal, but losing his ability to draw walks seems unrealistic, unless he's pulling an AGon and sacrificing contact and plate discipline to try and hit for power.

It is still a flat out awful contract, I won't even begin to deny that.

brentech

7 Day Sim: 9/23 - 9-30, 2017
Only one more sim until the regular season ends. Next sim will run all they way through the final day of the regular season.

Teams that have clinched their spot in the playoffs: Tampa Bay Rays, Chicago White Sox
No NL team has clinched quite yet, but 8 teams have now been eliminated from their race. Meanwhile the AL has only 4 teams fully eliminated with just 8 days left in the season.

Rommel

Well then... I forgot to remove force starts from a couple guys brought up from AAA. I was wondering why they were starting.

brentech

But he's still a pending FA, right? Unless he signs an extension? That's the only reason I didn't claim the guy.

For the time being. I have to imagine they'll try to sign him longterm. No point in losing 4 prospects for nothing. (My scout only graded one of them as worth anything).
Pretty sure if any of us made claim he'd just get returned, but kind of wanted to see someone make a play.

7 Day Sim: 9/23 - 9-30, 2017
Only one more sim until the regular season ends. Next sim will run all they way through the final day of the regular season.

Teams that have clinched their spot in the playoffs: Tampa Bay Rays, Chicago White Sox
No NL team has clinched quite yet, but 8 teams have now been eliminated from their race. Meanwhile the AL has only 4 teams fully eliminated with just 8 days left in the season.
Can't check for another hour or so did I lose my division lead

Rommel

Looks like Chip decided to run my rotation effectively as a 7 man rotation. Not a bad problem to have. I'll have 3 starters on the market this off season. And no Gonzalez will not be one ;)

Top Bottom