• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OOTP Baseball 2016 League: Because We All Know The Show Will be Broken

I need to completely overhaul my minors too, I just haven't had time to sit down and do major changes. That will happen in the next sim. Only gotten to ask AI to set it up and I don't like what they've done :(

Can anyone explain better to me the difference between like, Short-Season A and Gulf Coast Leagues? Does it really matter where I put these dudes as long as they get playing time?
I know obviously, it's AAA--->AA--->A--->???
I mean shit, I've got two Single A teams.

I need to completely overhaul my minors too, I just haven't had time to sit down and do major changes. That will happen in the next sim. Only gotten to ask AI to set it up and I don't like what they've done :(

Can anyone explain better to me the difference between like, Short-Season A and Gulf Coast Leagues? Does it really matter where I put these dudes as long as they get playing time?
I know obviously, it's AAA--->AA--->A--->???
I mean shit, I've got two Single A teams.

One thing I use is if you click on your team name on the top menu, then go to Player Info and choose Minor League System report you'll get a text based report that says which guys might be or should be promoted and which guys should or should not be demoted.

In terms of leagues AAA is mostly the home to guys who are extended ML depth, older guys who aren't really prospects, quad A dudes etc. To a lesser extent top prospects but these days a lot go from AA to MLB.

AA is of course then where a lot of the advanced and most skilled prospects go.

A ball is where younger, advanced players can often end up, generally guys who are like 20-21 and not developed enough for AA but are clearly not being challenged in the rookie leagues. In real life there is some amount of difference between the varying A-Ball leagues (the California league tends to be a lot more hitter friendly due to smaller parks and warmer weather for example). How much that carries over into OOTP I can't say.

Short Season A is usually where I put guys who are recent draftees that are a little older, or guys who have struggled in A ball.

My personal strategy is using a combo of the Player Info report and checking guys stats, like if a hitter is just destroying a league then I will move him up a level to challenge him. Things I tend to look at for this for hitters are walk rate, strike out rate, ops and babip. Same sort of thing for pitchers, like if a guy has a low era but isn't really striking a lot of guys out and my scout doesn't say he is ready then I won't move him up. But if he's getting more than a strike out an inning and his walk rate isn't obscene I'll give him a shot at the next level.

I also personally try to prioritize playing time for guys with potential at the lower levels. But I've seen guys with no potential hit well for a prolonged period and the next scouting update their potential changes so yeah.

Maybe I should've traded Springer after all, even though he's my best performing hitter. At least I have other guys capable of hitting. I don't have anyone who can throw the damn ball.

Now I'm just left to watch my team slowly sink in the standings.

Maybe I should've traded Springer after all, even though he's my best performing hitter. At least I have other guys capable of hitting. I don't have anyone who can throw the damn ball.

I have pitchers, let me know in the offseason.

brentech

I don't know what happened to the Indians, but it's not good.
I thought about it before this season, but decided to let them have another go. Now I'm mostly likely to go let go of all talent and restock in the off season. Regrets.

Rommel

I also have pitchers ;)

I apparently have a lot of young, kick ass left handed first basemen in the minors. I'll trade any of them for....anything but a left handed first baseman!

My problem is that the core of my (potent and improving) offense is at or nearing their peak years. Meanwhile, the few young pitchers I have are not exactly beloved by my scout (despite the OSA being all over them) and are getting a pretty rude break-in to the majors. I'm starting a rule-5 guy ffs! The owner pegged me as a rebuilding team, but the offense is good enough that I'm a fringe contender.

If only I had IRL Collin McHugh instead of the scrub I've got.

hello sir, i have pitching for days

We need to talk.

Also, I have like 67 guys on my GCL team and choosing who to dump is so hard. It's like "You haven't played at all, there's a chance you don't suck!"
"You had one minor league season where you didn't suck and you haven't had enough time yet!"

I just have so much hope for everybody.

Rommel

I will probably need to move a couple starters in the off-season. Both my rule 5 picks panned out creating a logjam. 3.9 WAR from them so far.

I feel like I might have too many corner outfielders at this point in my minors, especially left fielders so I might be looking to move some of those to fill out positions of weakness (re: not a lot of close to ML ready starting pitching).

Also I'm interested in moving Brad Miller if anyone wants a short stop. He's been solid defensively and about league average offensively most of he last few seasons.

Not to be selfish and hold up the league but just in case you wanted to wait until the night to advance tonight, I would absolutely not have an issue!
But if you want to, go ahead. Cut a bunch of guys but I still need to make sure dudes are in the right leagues/places.

brentech

7 Day Sim
It may show up as a 5 day in the sim report, but received an error mid-process because Arizona only had 7 guys on one of the rookie teams. Had to force the AI to set up minors.

I'm completely rehauling my team and I've discovered this dude named KJ Woods who I wasn't even aware of as a top prospect but he just might be the next Jose Canseco

Rommel

I'm completely rehauling my team and I've discovered this dude named KJ Woods who I wasn't even aware of as a top prospect but he just might be the next Jose Canseco

Yah I found my own in Grant Heyman. From Low A to AAA he has hit 41 home runs this year.

Going to let him learn RF a bit better and let him join the platoon there.

brentech

Yeah, I'm slowly purging my minors. So far I'm only through my 2 rookie league teams, but I've already cut something like 40+ players. There was 70 guys in my AZL team. Once I cut everyone from all the minor teams, I'll probably have the AI organize them, and then move guys I think should be higher/lower (basically drafted players).

I had forgotten that I allow Dan Jennings to control all promotions and lineup changes in the minors.

So the last 3 hours of my life....pointless.

Fuck

I had forgotten that I allow Dan Jennings to control all promotions and lineup changes in the minors.

So the last 3 hours of my life....pointless.

Fuck
Yeah that happened to me too last year. Made a bunch of changes and cut a ton of guys, only to see my rosters basically balloon again shortly after.

Paxton has .9 in 4 starts...

So despite the fact that he still had 5 years of club control you and not even a month of starts you decided to give him a 5 year contract extension? Hmm.

He's running a career low walk and babip rate in Arizona, seems to early to decide if that is sustainable or not.

Rommel

So despite the fact that he still had 5 years of club control you and not even a month of starts you decided to give him a 5 year contract extension? Hmm.

He's running a career low walk and babip rate in Arizona, seems to early to decide if that is sustainable or not.

Yah it's a bit silly in some respects but with my payroll I have to have some sort of cost certainty. I figured I'd take a chance on him.

brentech

Indians managed to go from a 10 game losing streak 2 sims ago to a 5 game win streak. Only change was a promotion of a AAA 1B/DH who is playing the DH way better than my other guys were.
I do get Bauer back after today's sim so hopefully he can just come right back and pitch. Can't be worse than the guys I've had to use to fill in. Unless I can move a couple guys and still manage to improve a couple positions in the offseason, the Indians window I'd closing.

Yeah brent, your minor league cupboard doesn't look that well-stocked from what I've seen either, although I may be basing that off the OSA reports.

Are you about to totally clean house?

brentech

Yeah brent, your minor league cupboard doesn't look that well-stocked from what I've seen either, although I may be basing that off the OSA reports.

Are you about to totally clean house?
I thought about it prior to this season but decided to let them go for it one more time.
Most likely will be moving guys this offseason.

brentech

4 Day Sim: 8/28 - 9/01, 2017
This brings us to the day of roster expansion.

Miami with the 4 game win streak. Diamondbacks on a 5 game skid (Kolten Wong calls a players only meeting) while the Dodgers take their 7th win in a row for the current NL West lead.

One thing I noticed over the weekend was the large number of teams who didn't sign a lot of draft picks, I wasn't sure if they were all CPU teams or not, but like Toronto didn't sign anyone for the first 5 rounds which seems insane. Is it just an issue with the AI spending a ton of money on Free Agents and leaving itself nothing for the draft?

Rommel

Miami with the 4 game win streak. Diamondbacks on a 5 game skid (Kolten Wong calls a players only meeting) while the Dodgers take their 7th win in a row for the current NL West lead.

I'm sending him reinforcements from the minors!

Thank god. I had Yelich out and before the sim I made sure to be picky with my majors lineup and the subs. I needed those!

brentech

7 Day Sim: 9/1 - 9/9
Regular season ends in 1 month. Get ready for the final push!

edit: Big news guys, Kershaw is going to miss the post season (assuming they get there now), and next season, with a 14 month torn rotator cuff injury.

Everything is falling apart.

Minor league system a shambles.

Josh Reddick under contract for years.

I've made a huge mistake.

Bummer about Kershaw, but f the Dodgers.

Top Bottom