• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OOTP Baseball 2016 League: Because We All Know The Show Will be Broken

Dang, what did they offer Cespedes? I offered him a year 1 deal with a vesting option based on games played.

9.1 mil with a vesting option.

I'm still negotiating with my budget targets. Hopefully will land somebody this next sim. I'm pretty happy with my offseason. Not going to really compete next season, but I've got a few interesting guys and I'll have money next offseason. Hoping Chen comes back strong from injury and gives me a solid trade chip.

I'm already excited for NEXT season when 32 million comes off my books with Mauer and Dozier, plus I've got some exciting prospects that are hungry and want to eat. But I'm getting ahead of myself. ;)

The Twins had some money- much of which has yet to be spent- this off-season and we locked up Gordon long-term and filled in some gaps with some mid and budget signings. We are very cautiously optimistic going into this year. .500 ball is a realistic goal, and if things break right, possibly better.

9.1 mil with a vesting option.

I'm still negotiating with my budget targets. Hopefully will land somebody this next sim. I'm pretty happy with my offseason. Not going to really compete next season, but I've got a few interesting guys and I'll have money next offseason. Hoping Chen comes back strong from injury and gives me a solid trade chip.

Ah yeah, I offered him $7 (because I couldn't go any higher this year) with a vesting option for $10ish million next year. Looks like he chose more money up front.

I noticed Kansas City has added 19.4 WAR and lost 10 WAR this off season. Crazy.

brentech

Simming forward 14 days. Glad to see some other people making use of a the waivers. Felt like I took 3-4 players this offseason.

Recent Human GM Signings
--------------------------
SEA SP A.Cobb
TB CF B.Hamilton
SEA LF C.Young
LAA 1B J.Santana
CLE 2B H.Kendrick

And I just noticed that the Angels actually haven't updated since early November. Might be down another man

Simming forward 14 days. Glad to see some other people making use of a the waivers. Felt like I took 3-4 players this offseason.

Recent Human GM Signings
--------------------------
SEA SP A.Cobb
TB CF B.Hamilton
SEA LF C.Young
LAA 1B J.Santana
CLE 2B H.Kendrick

And I just noticed that the Angels actually haven't updated since early November. Might be down another man

There's been some guys on waivers my scouts have really liked. I've got 6 guys on waivers this offseason, with 5 for sure going to make my roster. It's been a good way for me to fill out my roster without having money to spend. My starting LF, back-ups at basically every position, and set-up man were all waiver claims.

Also, man that Kimbrel deal looks like a bargain. If I had any money at all I'd have gone after him.

I check waivers now and then but I've mostly seen garbage relievers on there, although I guess I missed out on Mendez.

My roster is set now with those last two signings. Only ended up signing 3 FA, all of them older guys on 1 year deals as gap bridgers until prospects are ready. The nice thing is between Gardner, Young, Cain and AJax this is probably the best defensive outfield I've had in forever. I think my defense has improve pretty much everywhere it could except second base, so hopefully my pitching numbers see a corresponding uptick.

brentech

I picked up 3-4 players off waivers this offseason. One was immediately placed on AA as he still needs some time to grow.

I think I have all the players I need on my roster, but final decisions to get down to 25 still have to be made.
I currently have 8 outfielders on my preliminary roster. 2 of them will definitely make the roster as outfielders, one as a DH/backup. The others I'm hoping to get a look at in Spring Training. Then 2 pitchers will have to be demoted as well to get to 12 total on that staff.

Jason Kipnis is kind of the odd man out as I just picked up 2B Howie Kendrick for a right handed bat and backup at the position. Kipnis got injured early last season and his replacement played so well that he never got a chance to play again for the most part. His contract is just too great for anyone to want though. Hoping to find a way to utilize him.

Hey, I've got a question for those who are long-time OOTP players- if we have any- I think we had a few, right?

Anyway, I was wondering if looking @ arbitration estimates for a player is a sneaky indicator of future performance or if they are just basing that # off current scouting ratings and past performance?

Also, does anyone know anything about the mathematical model for development? (Perhaps only Markus) Are things randomly generated within certain parameters on a daily/monthly/yearly or even pitch-to-pitch basis, or is a player dropped into the game and his entire potential already set in stone, albeit invisible. In other words could I be hoping for my top prospect to develop despite it having already been determined (at some point) that it is NOT going to happen, etc. Or is there a fluidity to the interaction of all the moving parts. Just curious if anyone really knows much about the nuts and bolts and could give some insight.

Edit: And I check the waiver wire every sim- have done so since the beginning, although I've been undercut a couple times recently which kind of surprised me, given the Twins mediocre season last year.

I would have given Kimbrel more than 4.5 million but he hates Chip Hale. Man what's with pitchers not liking him.

I would've given Kimbrel more than that too, but when I asked he wanted something like 5 years at 12 each or something. So I went with O'Day instead.

Recent Human GM Signings

I tried to pick up some players, but all I was able to wrangle was Josh Fields lol. Just as Oakland has to do in real life, I live off the waiver wire, but all the good quality players there recently have been relievers.

And wth on a bidding war for Alexi Amarista? Dude wanted 1 year / $1.2m and now the bidding has gone past $3m per for multiple years. Had to bow out of that one.

I tried to pick up some players, but all I was able to wrangle was Josh Fields lol. Just as Oakland has to do in real life, I live off the waiver wire, but all the good quality players there recently have been relievers.

And wth on a bidding war for Alexi Amarista? Dude wanted 1 year / $1.2m and now the bidding has gone past $3m per for multiple years. Had to bow out of that one.

St Louis started a bidding war with me on Billy Hamilton! BILLY HAMILTON!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Are the Rays CPU controlled? crosses fingers

No - why?

Also looks like I'm going to have to fire my manager because he suddenly wants full control over lineups / pitching staffs and seems adamant about wanting to play Jose Bautista at 3B and other dumb shit. Frustrating.

brentech

Just updated to the day of Spring Training.
If you remember, the game automatically throws some players onto that roster, so sort it out if you want. Back to 7 day sims per usual.

No, I understand. It was just funny seeing you get (or target) so many players (it seemed) that were wanted by other teams. I think everyone who had money to spend, probably did so though.

Seems like the majority (sorry Oakland) were happy with their off-season acquisitions for the most part. Some of us will feel vindicated and some of us will feel we blew our budget soon enough.

Rommel

My manager has some interesting lineup choices for spring training. Going to let it ride and see how it turns out.

brentech

7 Day sim just completed.

One of the players I wasn't even planning to test out and the CPU put on my roster for spring training is trying his best to make the team.
Carlos Moncief, 29y, really wants to supplant Brandon Moss as the power hitting left hand DH/backup outfielder.

brentech

Brent did your scout hate Alfredo Sanchez or something? Because my scout thinks he has 75 potential.
I'm not home, but was he was from my international complex or AZL? I hit a button and it released everyone when trying to sort and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. no idea who it is

I'm not home, but was he was from my international complex or AZL? I hit a button and it released everyone when trying to sort and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. no idea who it is

Probably International complex. All I know is I saw a 16 year old free agent with 75 potential so I offered him a contract.

Adam Jones is having a nice spring. I'm hoping being a full-time DH wakes his bat up. I'm stuck paying him 17 mil, might as well get some production out of it. Have a few interesting positional battles going on. I'm really hoping Luis Guillorne hits. I'd love to put his glove at SS, it'd make my infield defense insane. Cabrera probably gets the first shot at the job, but his leash will be short if he doesn't provide offense. Hicks hasn't been great at catcher, but he's probably got the starting job. Wieters has been brutal, and Hicks at least brings plus defense.

Pitching hasn't been as encouraging, but the sample size right now is just too small.

brentech

Yeah, my scout didn't rate that guy high.

Looking at my first round pick from last season, my new scout only rates him a 20 potential, but he's a SP with 4 pitches already and decent potential in the main categories. Looks like I'm going to really have to keep an eye on my draft picks.
One day I went through and short listed them all by year that I drafted them.

brentech

synchronicity, might need some explainin' on Buxton's 5 year contact w/2 team option years, with the 2nd of those being a 50% increase in pay?
Obviously no issue with offering the amount of money a player wants, but not fond of that type of tooling around on option years and million dollar + hitting bonus in order to get to his desired pay.

Is there a comparable contract you used to get to this?

synchronicity, might need some explainin' on Buxton's 5 year contact w/2 team option years, with the 2nd of those being a 50% increase in pay?
Obviously no issue with offering the amount of money a player wants, but not fond of that type of tooling around on option years and million dollar + hitting bonus in order to get to his desired pay.

Is there a comparable contract you used to get to this?

He was asking for 7.2 mil per season. He only wanted a one-year deal, so I significantly overpaid his asking price rather than go to arbitration at season's end. But if you don't like the option years, take them off. I've seen plenty of contracts with team option years by human managers here. The incentives I offered weren't to get to his desired pay either- as stated, I went over his asking price. I offered those performance incentives because he tends to be a selfish player, and hoped it would maximize his results. (I know he has a high work ethic however.) I think the personality blurb is something about a "me-first attitude". I offered him significant incentives on top of offering more than what he wanted. I thought I was doing more than was necessary with this contract. His response to my offer was that he was very eager to sign. I don't know.

brentech

Using team option years isn't the issue. It's the differential between that final option year value and the non option years.

Like I said, if there is a comparable contract one of us made, by all means, show me. A real chance we've missed one, but I look at most high value contracts and don't remember coming across one with such a difference via option.
That and the award bonus value set off an alert this morning.

Not trying to pick on you, just trying to keep everyone on the same page when it comes to negotiations.

Using team option years isn't the issue. It's the differential between that final option year value and the non option years.

Like I said, if there is a comparable contract one of us made, by all means, show me. A real chance we've missed one, but I look at most high value contracts and don't remember coming across one with such a difference via option.
That and the award bonus value set off an alert this morning.

Not trying to pick on you, just trying to keep everyone on the same page when it comes to negotiations.

Ok. Well, can you run the contract @ 10.2 per season for the full 5 years including the 5th and leave everything else the same. If he accepts that, is that an acceptable contract in your view?

If not, or if he doesn't accept that deal, I'm happy to have you revert him back to his former status- with arb years starting this off-season- and I'll rework the deal myself in order to make it more palatable.

Minus the larger option year, are the incentives a deal-breaker for you? I don't see the issue with the incentives I offered, especially given the nature of the player. It's not like incentives were potentially making up 1/2 his contract or something ridiculous.

brentech

Ok. Well, can you run the contract @ 10.2 per season for the full 5 years including the 5th and leave everything else the same. If he accepts that, is that an acceptable contract in your view?

If not, or if he doesn't accept that deal, I'm happy to have you revert him back to his former status- with arb years starting this off-season- and I'll rework the deal myself in order to make it more palatable.

Minus the larger option year, are the incentives a deal-breaker for you? I don't see the issue with the incentives I offered, especially given the nature of the player. It's not like incentives were potentially making up 1/2 his contract or something ridiculous.
The incentives arent the deal breaker, but added to the 5M jump on the option it made it stick out more.
I can look up what's possible outside of removing options when I get back home. Any contract he accepts is fine as long the option isn't so far off the final non option year.
I'll let you know when I test and research what can be done. Probably be a couple hours at least.

The incentives arent the deal breaker, but added to the 5M jump on the option it made it stick out more.
I can look up what's possible outside of removing options when I get back home. Any contract he accepts is fine as long the option isn't so far off the final non option year.
I'll let you know when I test and research what can be done. Probably be a couple hours at least.

I understand. Can you first run the 10.2 for the full 5 years, keeping everything else the same, and see if he responds favorably.

If he doesn't take that, I'm happy to switch the 15 mil. option year to the first year of the deal and drop the last year to 10.2, if that would be acceptable.

And if you don't want to do any of this yourself, that's fine too. Just reset him to his status prior to accepting this contract, and I'll rework the deal to accommodate your preferred structure.

eznark

Banned
Yeah the issue with the contract is that AI players have never really understood the concept of the team option. So when you use a total outlier final year AND make it a team option it's generally gaming the system.

Not saying you were trying to do that or anything.

brentech

hrm, I thought it would give me an option, at a minimum, to remove option years, but it seems all I can do is change between Major/Minor league contract, the amount of years, and the value of each year.
After testing it out in a test league, it looks like I can 0 out his contract years. The new contract will stay in his history, but it will revert and you just redo the negotiations.

Looks like that works. If I ask him to negotiate, he's asking for that 1 year, 7M dollar deal you talked about. So just go ahead and redo the contract. Should be all squared away.

Update should be available in a bout 5-10 minutes. It's processing now.

Alright, I re-did the Buxton contract and he accepted 10.2 for each of the 5 years, so you saved me 5 mil. Thanks. ;) Like I said, I felt like I was more than meeting his demands, and could have very well paid him less if I let arbitration play out for a couple years.

I wasn't trying to circumvent fair play in anyway, fwiw. This was my first off-season with any real money to spend and I must have missed some of the details about contract no-no's. I remember one of you guys mentioning not to do 25 year deals or some such obvious nonsense long ago, but I didn't realize that high option years were an issue. I was only thinking in terms of my role as GM- not in terms of the way the game itself functions, and I didn't realize that players don't process those options properly, as ez mentioned.

Fwiw, I anticipated paying Buxton that final team option year. I'm expecting good things from him, but I understand why it's an issue.

In the interest of full disclosure, the Gordon contract I did earlier in the off-season also has a high final team option year, so if you want me to rework that one too, let me know.

brentech

In the player editor, unlike the Buxton contract, Gordon's isn't listed as an extension at this point. Shows up under salary data, which does actually give me the option to check on and off option years.
What it doesn't do like the Buxton contract is allow me to 0 out the amount of years on the contract, so it kind of scares me to change that one outside of removing the option.

brentech

*****ADJUST ACTIVE ROSTER TO 25 PLAYERS*****

7 Day Sim is available.
This takes us 7 days from Opening Day. Because I expect a few people to not have their rosters cut to 25, I'll probably sim to opening day tomorrow, and likely have to use a 0 day sim the day after so everyone can get their team put together.

7 Day Sim is available.
This takes us 7 days from Opening Day. Because I expect a few people to not have their rosters cut to 25, I'll probably sim to opening day tomorrow, and likely have to use a 0 day sim the day after so everyone can get their team put together.

I still have games happening so I'll adjust after next sim (and there will be automatic demotions happening for me anyway).

Top Bottom