• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Plays Mafia/Werewolf |OT5| Ma5ia Harder (Sign up in thread to play!)

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
Game balance question: A reverse recruiter (Scum player who can defect to town but is barred from saying any information they obtained while scum) would be a bad idea, right?

I've read a few ideas on how such a role could work. You could sub out the player when they defected, or they could be scum aligned to start with but not know who the rest of their team is/not have access to their chat.

You can't really have someone who knows who the scum team is playing for town though, I can't see how you can feasibly play knowing who the scum team is but not being allowed to reveal it.

Kawl_USC

I've read a few ideas on how such a role could work. You could sub out the player when they defected, or they could be scum aligned to start with but not know who the rest of their team is/not have access to their chat.

You can't really have someone who knows who the scum team is playing for town though, I can't see how you can feasibly play knowing who the scum team is but not being allowed to reveal it.

I could see it maybe working in a game with no flips?

Finally Batman and iZombie season is over for me. I'm still looking for someone to consult regarding my game, preferably someone that knows Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines. Not necessary though.
Also helpful if the person is fluent in Spanish. Don't ask. It totally makes sense.

topopi embrace me!

I KNOW STUFF ABOUT V:tM

AND I KNOW HOW TO SAY EL POLLO DIABLO which is great fluency in Spanish, or so I have been told

SalvaPot

Game balance question: A reverse recruiter (Scum player who can defect to town but is barred from saying any information they obtained while scum) would be a bad idea, right?

I tried this with the Harry Potter mafia and it was the bastardest role of bastard, because I DID NOT tell this to the player, it was going to be revealed to him if only if a special condition was completed. The character was Draco malfoy, btw.

It never happened because the condition never came.

roytheone

I tried this with the Harry Potter mafia and it was the bastardest role of bastard, because I DID NOT tell this to the player, it was going to be revealed to him if only if a special condition was completed. The character was Draco malfoy, btw.

Yeah, and I would argue that even that role was very problematic, since getting a win basically gifted to you in such a way, without you even knowing about it and thus not being able to actively trying to work towards it, is probably not a lot of fun. It will not feel like a win you earned or even deserve, it will most likely feel like a completely meaningless win to you.

The only way I can see a town recruit-able scum working is by removing so many of the things from the role that makes it a scum role (knowing your scum partners, having a chat), it will barely be a scum role at all.

Droplet

I had an idea for this with Avalon if we ever did any more games of that, borrowed from a setup I played before. Both sides would have a defector, everyone knew that there were defectors, and them defecting was left up to a coin toss every night, meaning they could change sides multiple times without knowing when it would happen. In principle, they would have to try to keep the game as even as possible until the end.

It's interesting as an idea, but I think anyone who gets a role like that would hate it. Also...probably wouldn't work with the whole scum chat thing.

Kawl_USC

Defector could have a secondary scum chat only available at night or with a set number of messages and have code usernames/be anonymous. I could see it working in a spy themed game. The Americans for example. Would be an interesting idea.

El Topo

Defector could have a secondary scum chat only available at night or with a set number of messages and have code usernames/be anonymous. I could see it working in a spy themed game. The Americans for example. Would be an interesting idea.

I think it would work if you have maybe an anonymous scum chat.

Sorian

Banned

HP was the game that keeps on giving, what was the condition?

El Topo

topopi embrace me!

I KNOW STUFF ABOUT V:tM

AND I KNOW HOW TO SAY EL POLLO DIABLO which is great fluency in Spanish, or so I have been told

Thanks. I might come back to your offer once I'm finished with the first draft. Trying to make a game that's as atmospheric as the RPG.

Ty4on

So I just saw this and saw that it didn't ever happen. Apologies. You have access on both Outer Gafia and Discord, now.
I haven't brought this up directly to you, but would it be possible to implement some system for requesting spec thread access on Outer GAFia? Ideally a button and a system that organized it, but I guess one could make a profile just for PMing requests and give those in charge access to that profile.

RetroMG

I haven't brought this up directly to you, but would it be possible to implement some system for requesting spec thread access on Outer GAFia? Ideally a button and a system that organized it, but I guess one could make a profile just for PMing requests and give those in charge access to that profile.

That's a solid idea. I'll look into it.

I will say that if you want spec access, PMing me on GAF or DMing me or Ynnny* on Discord is the best way to go about it. I've told people this before, but people just post in threads or in general chat anyway. Thing is, I don't always see those, so contacting me directly is a more surefire way to get it.

*Once Ynnny has her internet back, that is.

EDIT: I also want to point out that nearly every gamerunner has been trained and given the ability to give OG spec access. I think Kawl is the only one who hasn't, and I'll remedy that today.

SkyOdin

Would it help to give instructions on how to request dead/spectator thread access in the rules posted at the start of every game? It currently specifies that the thread exists, but doesn't give instructions to players on how to request access to it. I posted in this thread because I saw other players doing so, and I presumed that was the expected way.

Sorian

Banned
Would it help to give instructions on how to request dead/spectator thread access in the rules posted at the start of every game? It currently specifies that the thread exists, but doesn't give instructions to players on how to request access to it. I posted in this thread because I saw other players doing so, and I presumed that was the expected way.

As far as players getting access after death, your moderator should be contacting you when it's revealed you died.

Bad Roy! :mad:

SkyOdin

As far as players getting access after death, your moderator should be contacting you when it's revealed you died.

Bad Roy! :mad:

Oh right, Roy did contact me! He did his job then. But I still think that putting instructions in the rules posting would clarify things for the new players, especially those who want to spectate.

Sorian

Banned
Oh right, Roy did contact me! He did his job then. But I still think that putting instructions in the rules posting would clarify things for the new players, especially those who want to spectate.

You have to let me rag on Roy when possible :p

You're right though, right now we announce spec threads in this thread and then we just hope word of mouth carries it from there, would probably help to have more detailed stuff in the rules.

RetroMG

You have to let me rag on Roy when possible :p

You're right though, right now we announce spec threads in this thread and then we just hope word of mouth carries it from there, would probably help to have more detailed stuff in the rules.

Please remind the S6 gamerunners to do this, Sorian.

Kawl_USC

EDIT: I also want to point out that nearly every gamerunner has been trained and given the ability to give OG spec access. I think Kawl is the only one who hasn't, and I'll remedy that today.

My union rep will be in touch about the lack of proper training.

roytheone

I don't know if Nin gave it to him, I had it on my notes but I left the game half-way through because I was swamped with work, but if he was Draco and was the last DE alive, then he won.

Crab and LoC were the last scum alive, but were forced to give up since there was no way to win anymore and it would just be a waste of everyone's time to continue playing. Since not offering the win to LoC in that case would be kinda unfair (he made the decision to give up while having incomplete win condition information), I think it was offered to him, but he refused since the win would be totally meaningless to him.

I think these kind of wins should always be offered and give the player a chance to refuse, since I can totally understand it that many players would rather lose with their team then get a completely meaningless win.

El Topo

This is a good moment to tell you guys that there's an Activision sale at Steam, which includes Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines (-75%, €4.99).
If you want an atmospheric RPG with fantastic characters and dialogue, an interesting story and decent gameplay, check it out.

Case in point: Malkavian dialogue scene

This is a good moment to tell you guys that there's an Activision sale at Steam, which includes Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines (-75%, €4.99).
If you want an atmospheric RPG with fantastic characters and dialogue, an interesting story and decent gameplay, check it out.
As a follow up, there is a fan patch which I would say is almost mandatory. It updates graphics, fixes a bunch of things and returns a few things which were removed from the game.

Also Malkavian for (un)life!

SalvaPot

Crab and LoC were the last scum alive, but were forced to give up since there was no way to win anymore and it would just be a waste of everyone's time to continue playing. Since not offering the win to LoC in that case would be kinda unfair (he made the decision to give up while having incomplete win condition information), I think it was offered to him, but he refused since the win would be totally meaningless to him.

I think these kind of wins should always be offered and give the player a chance to refuse, since I can totally understand it that many players would rather lose with their team then get a completely meaningless win.

I see, then he did the right thing, losing like that would be meaningless I agree, that game was fun to design but too confusing for its own good.

SkyOdin

The Matrix6 game is over, for those of you who have not been following it. Results are in.

Apparently I am the worst townie of all time.

It was fun playing a small game like that.

Flame_AC

The Matrix6 game is over, for those of you who have not been following it. Results are in.

Matrix game is over, results are in everybody.

I'm the towniest person who ever lived, just as good as a confirmed cop.

GG All.

What are the next games in the pipeline and when are they looking to start?

Kawl_USC

Hey, you were active and involved the whole way through. That's a win in my book.

Thanks for playing. You'll get 'em next time.

Top Bottom