• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Slot Cloggers (NHL 12 EASHL)

Thank you, exactly what I was thinking. More specialization-potential can only be good, and will definitely be interesting for teamplay. Do you wanna go with 3 snipers? Really? Or do 1 Sniper, 1 TWF, 1 PLY? or sth else? I think it's a good thing.

i don't think teams will put as much thought into about the makeup of their builds like you are thinking. I just think it can't hurt in cutting down of some of the ridiculousness that goes on now.

I think a lot of experienced players will either initially gravitate towards a speed build as that burst is gonna catch people by surprise when the game comes out, or go with a more all-around build ala NHL12 until they realize it's in their best interest to specialize in some area.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
i don't think teams will put as much thought into about the makeup of their builds like you are thinking. I just think it can't hurt in cutting down of some of the ridiculousness that goes on now.

I think a lot of experienced players will either initially gravitate towards a speed build as that burst is gonna catch people by surprise when the game comes out, or go with a more all-around build ala NHL12 until they realize it's in their best interest to specialize in some area.

I'm not saying all teams will, I'm saying the good teams will and should. ;) That's why i said OTP will be awful. :D It'll be like a MOBA, essentially, in which everyone just goes straight up damage because noone wants to play tank. (excuse the analogy). Before you had a "1 build does it all", now you have to choose what parts you want on your team if you really want to have success. Of course you can do all as before, you just won't have as much success.

I REALLY like this addition. Specialization is good.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
See, that's exactly wha EA is trying to fix. If you still WANT to do that in NHL13, you definitely can (as a team), you just won't be as effective, since not everyone will be able to backcheck/snipe/dangle/pokecheck/deke as good as everyone. You're forced to specialize, and if you still want to do a deke despite being a Grinder, then you're taking the risk of falling down all by yourself. On the other hand, the Sniper won't be able to take hits the same way as before, so he'll have to learn to be more careful as well. It'll make way more interesting team makeups and force people to come up with their own builds/playstyle.

We're only doing that now because it's numerically advantageous. I agree that the hard caps will likely eliminate the current "God builds", but all the different classes already have a soft cap and because the numbers are so borked we're all just the same build anyway.

If EA gets the numbers wrong though, you're right, then it's all bad. Given they have REAL NHL player data to work with (and their player data isn't bad at all), I'm sure they'll be able to figure out some good numbers. Take a look at a pure playmaker/scorer, check average scores for those positions, set maximums somewhere around that.
Again, I'm fearful. What Viz posted mentioned they would be basing their stuff of actual NHL player stats. But then NHL12's Canucks have a 100 team goalie rating...

Will anyone want to play with someone who has a low capped passing stat? They specifically mention that one in their post.

I am surprised at the reaction to this, I think it's great news that has no downside at all
I'm cranky beyond even your years and am never in favor of limiting player freedom. I'll be fine in the end (probably) and you've all put up with me being slow and wildly out of the play for years, so meh

I'm not saying all teams will, I'm saying the good teams will and should. ;) That's why i said OTP will be awful. :D It'll be like a MOBA, essentially, in which everyone just goes straight up damage because noone wants to play tank. (excuse the analogy). Before you had a "1 build does it all", now you have to choose what parts you want on your team if you really want to have success. Of course you can do all as before, you just won't have as much success.

I REALLY like this addition. Specialization is good.

OTP is already awful, its already hit rock bottom and then the bottom dropped out. No where further down it can go.

I also don't see Noz concerns with "getting the numbers right" either. It sounds like most attributes will be capped at 95 and some caps will be lower with certain builds. Snipers probably will only be able to max at somewhere between 75-85 strength and power forwards at 75-85 speed or something like that. This is kind of like the system FIFA uses for it's Pro Clubs mode and it works well except for the fact the FIFA team allowed builds to be hacked because they are stored on the hard drive and not on the server like NHL's

Yes, there's a possibility that one build will still surface later on as the "best choice", but the fact that overall ratings are coming down is a great thing for gameplay and it's another step along with the skating engine to getting the game to play a more realistic brand of hockey.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I agree with Viz, this is good news. Fuck guys with 99 puck control, wrist shot power, passing, etc

Nozdeuce

I don't actually like anything. If I had it my way all shooters would be Red Orchestra

We're only doing that now because it's numerically advantageous. I agree that the hard caps will likely eliminate the current "God builds", but all the different classes already have a soft cap and because the numbers are so borked we're all just the same build anyway.
Again, I'm fearful. What Viz posted mentioned they would be basing their stuff of actual NHL player stats. But then NHL12's Canucks have a 100 team goalie rating...

the player ratings for NHL players in NHL11 and NHL12 arent that generous to begin with. NHL13 is supposed to have some kind of overhaul to better distinguish between stars and role players. The numbers will be down if anything that they are basing this on and overalls in every sports game are misleading, so that point isn't really a good one. You're a good enough player that this isn't gonna cripple you. Besides I'm always here to make you look good out there!

Nozdeuce said:
Will anyone want to play with someone who has a low capped passing stat? They specifically mention that one in their post.

that question right there sums up what's positive about this change. We haven't even bothered to ask a question like that before, now it's a discussion point. Personally when I play Center, passing is about all I do that's good besides win faceoffs as I'm not a goal scorer. Now If I decide to play that way this year it will stand out. I'll probably dump more points into passing than ever and leave the shooting to others. You will want to work the puck thru me to find people open. While others like you will specialize in sniping, that's the beauty of it.

Smiley90

the player ratings for NHL players in NHL11 and NHL12 arent that generous to begin with. NHL13 is supposed to have some kind of overhaul to better distinguish between stars and role players. The numbers will be down if anything that they are basing this on and overalls in every sports game are misleading, so that point isn't really a good one. You're a good enough player that this isn't gonna cripple you. Besides I'm always here to make you look good out there!

that question right there sums up what's positive about this change. We haven't even bothered to ask a question like that before, now it's a discussion point. Personally when I play Center, passing is about all I do that's good besides win faceoffs as I'm not a goal scorer. Now If I decide to play that way this year it will stand out. I'll probably dump more points into passing than ever and leave the shooting to others. You will want to work the puck thru me to find people open. While others like you will specialize in sniping, that's the beauty of it.

Additionally, if the other team decided to go all-out snipers and you have a PWF/TWF on your team, the other team will be on the ground way more easily than before and your sniper will have more space than ever.

Delryk

I think that is awesome news. I dont care how good you are.. You should noy have 4000pts in 1000games. yes 4 pts game should happen once in awhile but not every game.

If capping and specializing fixes this crap, im all for it!

I think that is awesome news. I dont care how good you are.. You should noy have 4000pts in 1000games. yes 4 pts game should happen once in awhile but not every game.

If capping and specializing fixes this crap, im all for it!

well goddammit. if our Junior New Guy ain't growing up right in front of our eyes...

spoken like someone that has more than 7 goals for his club :)

Nozdeuce

well new logic is certainly welcome.

I would've just rathered they nerfed top down with extreme diminishing returns at the top end. Over the years I've just tried to either play to my strengths, things I actually like doing, or things that make me a non-detriment to the team. Which has changed, 10 was just me pulling wristers, 11 was me doing faceoffs, screens, tipins and flattening people, 12 i've had nadda. But I've always had the freedom to maintain the stuff I like or need to do at the average (a high skewed average), going forward maybe I won't be able to? Or to the degree I like.

Being less cynical than I am is fine, but none of us assumed going into 12 that agility would be broken either.

Blargh

Nozdeuce

I can't wait to be ridiculed too come September...

I vote that you get a pass, I mean, you mentioned playing MOBA and I'm pretty sure we don't have enough irate Koreans to scream obscenities at you to even begin to make a comparable dent.

Which do you play? I'm decent at low level LoL

Smiley90

I vote that you get a pass, I mean, you mentioned playing MOBA and I'm pretty sure we don't have enough irate Koreans to scream obscenities at you to even begin to make a comparable dent.

Which do you play? I'm decent at low level LoL

:lol, that together with Xbox live (I used to play a lot of Project Gotham Racing, no FPS's), I'm used to it, yeah. Played a bit of LoL, but never super competitively, just for kicks. Wasn't half bad, but haven't had enough time for it since... like a year ago or so. Never really had time to get into the dota2 beta either (even though I have access).

Nozdeuce

:lol, that together with Xbox live (I used to play a lot of Project Gotham Racing, no FPS's), I'm used to it, yeah. Played a bit of LoL, but never super competitively, just for kicks. Wasn't half bad, but haven't had enough time for it since... like a year ago or so. Never really had time to get into the dota2 beta either (even though I have access).

lol yeah I'm more or less the same way, I haven't played a ton of LoL and when I do it's super casually. I just liked tooling around as a ranged champ. I gave dota2 a shot but couldn't get into it the same way, felt oddly clunky compared to LoL

Delryk

well goddammit. if our Junior New Guy ain't growing up right in front of our eyes...

spoken like someone that has more than 7 goals for his club :)

Gotta prepare myself to not be the new guy in Sept.

OBTW.. Anybody have the season pass? Dont even know if we can play EASHL during those 3 days..lol

This thread has turned into PoliGaf and Noz 'Ron Paul' Deuce is our resident batshit insane libertarian, contrasted by nanny-state Viz Obama.

This just leaves it up to one of you guys to go all Mitt Romney and say that the only really fair way for player creation to be handled is through purchasing boost packs directly from EA.

zsswimmer

I'm digging those Online Be a Pro stat changes. Really I'm already playing like it right now since I have such a low goal total but I'm good at the blueline and at shut down d.

It would be cool having some speciality roles being played, maybe the grinder build will actually be used since a team might already have a really good sniper. Of course this is all assuming it works out perfectly, and this is EA....

Delryk

Cool. We can always make a temp team if Marvie (or whoever is suppose to make the team) doesnt have a season pass.. get our chemistry going in 13. Woop.

moop1167

So if you are good at basically everything, how does this help at all? I am a defensive, passing, dangling, sniping forward... and I can score on my own net. This is going to suck.

Smiley90

So if you are good at basically everything, how does this help at all? I am a defensive, passing, dangling, sniping forward... and I can score on my own net. This is going to suck.

Because you won't be able to be good at everything anymore, you'll have to choose. Preferably not the "score on own goal" part.

It doesn't 'help' you at all; it helps the rest of us from having to deal with 'masters of all trades' every game. It might be fun for you to play poker with three aces every game, but it takes a lot of the strategy of balanced choices away.

As someone who enjoys strategy and balance, I think it is potentially a great change. As someone who plays a lot of EA games, I'm sure it will be fucked.

moop1167

I was mostly being sarcastic but I use a TWF and I have my passing, dangling, and defensive shit up where it's needed most. I just hope this new shit won't hamstring me too much on stuff that is determined purely by stats. I mean the only really "skill" right now is being able to know where people are to set up plays and timing your dangles so I guess it may not be too bad. Hitting sort of is but aside from timing you can't hit people unless your stats are good enough. Shooting is mostly based on stats since you kind of know where to shoot if you've played hockey before. We'll see.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It will be nice if there is a lot more role playing like in real life, but I highly doubt EA is capable of accurately implementing such a system.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
oh yeah... about that

you were already traded to the Madden team for a Best of Hollywood Hogan VHS Tape and some NBA2K12 DLC codes

good luck, I hear they are swell guys once you get to know them

kobeprimp-1.gif

Delryk

"Poke check is much more effective" The fuck? It's already overpowered...

Maybe its more effective in the ways of ratings. If you're a foward with 70, it should suck more than nhl12. But if a Dmen has 95, it should be more effective IMO.

zsswimmer

"Poke check is much more effective" The fuck? It's already overpowered...
Nah, you gotta get that shit right perfect for it to work, and it's never a guarantee. Ive had my stick check at 99 once i got my legends card and people can still easily skate through sticks. The main problem is the insanely high puck control (hopefully this is fixed via the stat changes for 13) completely negating a good defensive attempt and scoring afterwards.

With all the offensive upgrades, I'm really glad to see stuff like improving the passing lane interceptions and stick checking.

Smiley90

I've always wondered this: do you guys play left/right-handed for left/right wing with strategy or just however you want? I see that protection-ability/shot angle might be a consideration, but do you really care?

Everyone excited for NHL 13?

yea man, you making a return next year?

I've always wondered this: do you guys play left/right-handed for left/right wing with strategy or just however you want? I see that protection-ability/shot angle might be a consideration, but do you really care?

there are pros and cons, personally I've gotten so used to playing right-handed (I primarily play LD) that I just stick with that for all my builds. If they give us a separate LD and RD builds next year I might switch my RD to a lefty.

Smiley90

there are pros and cons, personally I've gotten so used to playing right-handed (I primarily play LD) that I just stick with that for all my builds. If they give us a separate LD and RD builds next year I might switch my RD to a lefty.

D is different though, since you'll want to have a right shooting LD and a left shooting RD on the powerplay for one-timers. I'm more talking about offense here, aka LW/RW whether they should be right/left shooting or if it even matters as much as it does for D

Ya, I have it pre-ordered :)

Hope the changes they make are positive

zsswimmer

Other details from blog post

A lot of post special effects have been added or reworked this year as well. These include:

· Film grain

· Dynamic colour cube – Filmic colour grading of final renders

· Camera Motion Blur

· Exponential fog – Adds atmosphere and depth to environments

The arenas in the game have been upgraded this year with improvements to:

· Lighting – from the ice surface to the nose bleed seats lighting ins now better simulated in all environments.

· Coverage Maps – Players, equipment, nets, particle effects and other things that fall inside the shadowed areas of the playing surface will appeared to be shadowed.

· More accurate dynamic ice wear – Ice will only show signs of wear in areas that players have actually skated.

I love how Skate Spray is bolded and given an entire new paragraph for:

Skate Spray

True Performance Skating changed the way we animated our skaters. With those changes in animation we also reworked skate spray this year adding procedural skate spray. This means that skate spray in based on velocity, angle, and relative direction of skate movement to the player.

Skate spray also now sticks to players, goalies, boards and the glass.

Power Rings

Power Rings

The arena power rings have also been overhauled adding:

· Full animation

· Context – PowerRings now react to situations such as Home Goals, Home/Away Powerplays, Home Wins and more.

· Lighting – the light cast from Power Rings now affects the lighting of elements around them. They also more closely simulate real-world LED screens.

One thing we’ve learned over the years is that while making a game that feels like hockey to those people who play it is important, more people experience the game by watching their favorite team on television than actually lace up skates on a regular basis.

With that in mind, we wanted to make the game feel much more like you were experiencing it as a television broadcast which is why we worked on a New Broadcast Presentation.

This year we are moving away from using traditional canned cut scenes and we ensured that between plays we were to cutting in on the real time action.

This means we’ve added AI Driven Post Whistle elements which include:

· Players are now where they are on the actual ice, which adds continuity to all post whistles scenes.

· Broadcast cuts to realistic broadcast camera angles.

· Players now react in real time to events. You’ll see players looking up at the scoreboard to see a replay, grimacing in pain after being hit or adjusting a pad after delivering their own bone crunching body check.

NHL 13 also includes a new gameplay camera the True Broadcast Camera which replicates a real world broadcast camera. Unlike the Broadcast camera, the True Broadcast camera is anchored in place and moves, swivels and zooms like to better simulate hockey coverage on television. Users can also now select multiple gameplay cameras as their shootout and penalty shot camera.

We’ve also adding new touches to the commentary adding:

· Replay Analysis

· Updated core commentary

· The commentary team will also interrupt what they’re saying to talk about big moments such as great saves or big hits

Replays
Replays now get stronger, more accurate analysis which means that the game will now:

· Choose the correct highlights to show, even if it’s been a long time between whistles the team will be able to focus on the best play within that sequence.

· Players featured in the replay are highlighted in real time after the whistle.

· Commentary speaks to the highlights with specific detail.

Making sure that during replays the cameras match what you’d see in a real broadcast was also important. For that reason we’ve added a Net Cam angle as well the replays will use a goal line camera and a new camera motion that will track and zoom the action like a real camera operator would.

Also added are new highlight packages to highlight things like:

· Team Packages: Missed Opportunities, Team Hits, Team Breakaways

· Player Packages: Multiple Assist Night, Blocked Shots, One Timers, Point Shots, Net Presence

The between period and post-game flow of the broadcast has also been changed with new highlight packages as well as the commentary team recapping a final highlight in detail while explaining how that play impacted the period or game.

Winter Classic
Winter Classic

The Winter Classic Returns to NHL 13 as we add the 2012 Winter Classic which saw the Philadelphia Flyers face the New York Rangers.

Showing off a number of element effects the Winter Classic looks beautiful. The venue is in sunny conditions, a contrast with the night in the snow at Heinz Field from NHL 12 (which is also included in NHL 13). It also features authentic Winter Classic uniforms, coach attire, fan clothing and props.

New Front End
http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Richmedia/kline-image17.jpg
http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Richmedia/kline-image14.jpg
Your favorite team will now be be selected by default in many game modes. Pick the wrong team? Don’t worry, you can still change it in the My NHL Menu.

Making the game look as much like the hockey you know and love is just as important as making sure gameplay feels right. Even the small things that you might not notice at first go a long way to making NHL 13 the closest thing to real hockey without actually needing to learn how to skate.

Delryk

I dont even know what power rings are

hockeyInfoBoxImage.jpg

Calgary Flames calls theirs "The Ring of Fire"... I don't know if any other teams actually took time to think of naming that thing but whatever. where it says GO TEAM GO, GOOOOAAAL, etc.. that's the power ring!

Top Bottom