• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

I see a lot of similar styles in here, just wondering what peoples' thoughts are one something like this:

_9684588.jpg

I really like this nice, plain as all hell, style. I wear something fairly plain but a bit more budget at the moment (not that this is exactly expensive). Been looking at this and a couple from T Sovet.

Thoughts? Or other watches of this kinda nice simple style that can be recommended?

That's a lovely looking watch, although still a bit too big for my tastes (40mm). It's actually the only watch in the last 100 posts or so (that have had images posted) that I think isn't absolutely repulsive.

Only thing I'd tweak is the colour of the face, not so keen on the bright white.

I ordered a Casio Waveceptor, imported from Japan.

I already have a Waveceptor but it has a rubber strap and I wear it to the gym. Wanted an atomic watch with a metal band that I could wear to work. Was tempted to go all out on a Citizen but decided to try out this JDM watch.

So weird how all their good stuff doesn't make it to the states...will post impressions when I receive it this week.

Fixed1979

Apparently my Nomos Metro is leaving Germany this week, pretty pumped...6 months in the making, I'll finally have my first Nomos watch. I nearly bailed on it a few times to go with the Zurich Worldtimer but I really wanted my next watch to have a date on it. I'll make sure I get a couple pics up when it finally does arrive.

Anyone know of any nice Tag Monaco inspired watches that are below/around 500€? Love the design after trying it on but paying that much for a watch isn't viable for me.

Like this Hugo Boss looks alright but obviously it's just a fashion brand watch so screw that I guess.

Also got linked to a company called Parnis. They have a neat looking hella Panerai looking watch on there. Looked up a bit about Parnis and it seems they're really good for the most part. Unless you have to deal with returning it.

Absolutely love the look of this old Seiko 5 as well.

nitewulf

Apparently my Nomos Metro is leaving Germany this week, pretty pumped...6 months in the making, I'll finally have my first Nomos watch. I nearly bailed on it a few times to go with the Zurich Worldtimer but I really wanted my next watch to have a date on it. I'll make sure I get a couple pics up when it finally does arrive.

the blue world timer is a beautiful looking watch. i find the regular date feature useless anyway, unless its a perpetual calendar, but of course it does look good depending on design.

I see a lot of similar styles in here, just wondering what peoples' thoughts are one something like this:

(Quoted for size, click for link)

I really like this nice, plain as all hell, style. I wear something fairly plain but a bit more budget at the moment (not that this is exactly expensive). Been looking at this and a couple from T Sovet.

Thoughts? Or other watches of this kinda nice simple style that can be recommended?

I love this.

PriitV

Thanks to no other than EvilKataran i'm rather turned off by the idea of owning a watch with Quartz movement. Are there any affordable options with automatic movements other than but similar to the Seiko 5's (that I have 2 of now) out there?
I'm still trying to score a SNK801K, but the only seller is on Amazon and their asking price (with S&H) of 140€ is a little out of my comfort zone.

Thanks to no other than EvilKataran i'm rather turned off by the idea of owning a watch with Quartz movement. Are there any affordable options with automatic movements other than but similar to the Seiko 5's (that I have 2 of now) out there?
I'm still trying to score a SNK801K, but the only seller is on Amazon and their asking price (with S&H) of 140€ is a little out of my comfort zone.

There are other amazons;)

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B000YWMBXS/

http://www.amazon.es/dp/B000YWMBXS/

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B000YWMBXS/

The same vendor with different pricing. And your link also seems to have become cheaper.

Posting a few more beautiful square Seikos. Looks like they started making them in 1969. Not sure how long they were in production.

Gosh I want one.

When I think "square watch" (outside of the 'usual suspects' the monaco, camaro and reverso) I think Zenith. The brand is SO undervalued and yet SO relevant and classy, it's not even funny. If you are ok to push the budget a bit you could get something really nice. (...but the Seikos are a great choice too).

Just a few examples, all from Chrono24 between $500 and $2.5k:

dallow_bg

nods at old men
True, always loved a classic Zenith square automatic:

This is my recent addition. Was really afraid it would be way too large for me, but due to the small lugs, it works. I originally didn't care for the "Tuna" look, but man, they grew on me and I fell in love as soon as I took it out of the package.
What I'm really dreaming about now is the Spring Drive "Golden Tuna" SBDB008. Shame it was so limited.

Here's some pics I took a couple of weeks ago on a wjean bracelet.

Seiko SBBN017

UFO

Banned

It's showing £77.49 + £9.50 shipping for me.

torontoml

My brother is looking for a watch, and I'm kinda at a loss to help him. He is a new phys-ed teacher, wants something professional looking but sporty/fitness oriented. Looking at an approximate max of $300 Canadian.

Any suggestions?

So apparently my brother only really requires a "stop watch/chronograph," a slim case and quartz movement. Any suggestions? Anyone hear of Bering watches before found this one that looks OK.

Ya know, I'll admit that TAG's new Aquaracer line up looks damn nice. 40.5mm to boot, too. I think this is the best looking of the ARs:

P7030576.jpg

The problem is, the watch is out, and not even WUS people are talking about it.

pwack

^ that tag dial looks an awful lot like an aqua terra

Not even close. The stripes on the AT go up and down.

Here's a recent pick-up for me:
5571bb9f34c89ebe3e151d5f5627c29d.jpg

Amazon, a Citizen AD, had this marked down to 50% of MSRP, when it generally sells at closer to 75%. Bit on it, because I like large divers. I must say that the fit and finish are outstanding.

I also recently re-bought a SARB033. Such a a great watch.

Edit -- just realized that photo is from 10/25. Can't believe I've had the watch for several weeks without posting a pic! I have completely failed you, WatchGAF!

pwack

So apparently my brother only really requires a "stop watch/chronograph," a slim case and quartz movement. Any suggestions? Anyone hear of Bering watches before found this one that looks OK.

That is not something I would suggest. With no seconds markings, too hard to read. And I find 24-hour dials useless (the subdial on the right; it tells the hour on a 24-hour scale, rather than serving as a chronograph. In case you can't tell if it is 10am or 10pm. :| )

Here's my suggestion, currently $255 at Amazon.
96b183.jpeg

http://amzn.com/B00B5JVY5A

Also looks pretty awesome on a strap and rose-gold plate:
maxresdefault.jpg

torontoml

That is not something I would suggest. With no seconds markings, too hard to read. And I find 24-hour dials useless (the subdial on the right; it tells the hour on a 24-hour scale, rather than serving as a chronograph. In case you can't tell if it is 10am or 10pm. :| )

Here's my suggestion, currently $255 at Amazon.

Ya that seems good, but it's like $360 or more on the Canadian site. My mother is buying it for him, and $300 is like the max.

keezy

Ya know, I'll admit that TAG's new Aquaracer line up looks damn nice. 40.5mm to boot, too. I think this is the best looking of the ARs:

P7030576.jpg

The problem is, the watch is out, and not even WUS people are talking about it.

IMO this is the best looking AR. Planning to scoop one up here soon.

tag-heuer-aquaracer-calibre-5-automatic-mens-watch-wan2110-ba0822-4.jpg

LCfiner

just bought a used Omega Speedmaster Auto (reduced size) off ebay. it's an early 90s model. looks like it's in good condition and it was just serviced recently. price was pretty good, imo, at $1050 CAD

I thought about the Omega Speedmaster professional as I like the history behind it (moonwatch!) but ultimately, it's just a) too expensive on the used market b) too large (I have 6.3" wrists) and c) not as convenient to use daily as the auto.

I currently have a Stowa marine auto (white dial) that I like very much but wanted something on a bracelet and with a clean, black dial. I really like the speedmaster styling.

looking forward to it. I'll post some pics when I get it next week.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Heh, I just bought a Speedmaster as well! *hi-five*

It's a brand new 311.30.42.30.01.005 reference (so the classic Moonwatch) with the new bracelet and box of goodies.
It was only 3,200 from Jomashop on ebay... that almost seems too good to be true. I had to bite. I even messaged them and they confirmed it's the newest model with the box. I've never seen that price so low, much less for a new one.

We'll see what happens when it arrives. Looks like the sale price ends tomorrow. (3 or so left) I'll leave the link in email tags, quote to see.

Watches are a way for men to rationalize wearing jewelry.

Just wear jewelry if you want. No need camouflage it as some ostensible utilitarian item. Everyone carries a cellphone that can tell you the time.

LCfiner

Just wear jewelry if you want. No need camouflage it as some ostensible utilitarian item. Everyone carries a cellphone that can tell you the time.

Who's rationalizing? Anyone in here getting nice watches recognizes it's for the beauty or history of the object. It's fashion and style. It's not that we absolutely need a device in our wrist that tells time - or one that does so with a decorated hand built mechanical movement that costs hundreds or thousands. The utilitarian aspect can be satisfied with a cheap 5 dollar watch.

@dallow. Very nice. High five returned. That is a damn good price for a brand new speedmaster pro. (Still too rich for my blood, but worth it for anyone who can afford it). hope you like it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

No one is doing this. Watches are my preferred type of jewelry wear.
Plus I get to open up and tinker with them too (At least my less expensive ones).

The first two paragraphs from this old article are as true as ever.
http://www.tested.com/tech/44288-pr...mechanical-watches-are-so-cool-and-so-pricey/

Digital watches are a convenience made all but redundant by the cellular phone. They're cheap, durable, and easy to read, and in most cases their plastic bodies and digital displays emphasize functionality over style. In an era of omnipresent smartphones, watches are more about fashion than ever, be it the abstractness of a Tokyoflash to the traditional face of an analog Rolex. They also might be the most complicated fashion accessories ever made.

"Mechanical watches are so brilliantly unnecessary," writes futurist author William Gibson. "Any Swatch or Casio keeps better time, and high-end contemporary Swiss watches are priced like small cars. But mechanical watches partake of what my friend John Clute calls the Tamagotchi Gesture. They're pointless in a peculiarly needful way; they're comforting precisely because they require tending."

Blu10

Not sure if you're trolling it not, but I look at watches as I look at Google.

Google is a white page with a splash of color, but it delivers untold potential. It spell checks you, opens the world to you, gives you suggestion, birthed really the potential of the internet, but yet you don't think twice about how it works, or the hours and complexity that go into it...the definition of innovation.

The same is true if watches. They can be very simple at face value, and yet thousands people have toiled to make something that is fashionably appeasing, and yet amazingly, is accurate to the smallest time difference and consists of nothing more than gears and springs. Something that was both a technical marvel hundreds of years ago and yet still continues to astound with it's human invention.

Your gold chain and other bling fail to even compare, which is why I'd classify it as less jewelry and more as a tool...just one that has it's own unique use.

I like the speedy reduced, but why is the sub second hand on the right instead of the left? Also, I have 6 inch wrists, and the pro would fit my wrist. Lug to lug is 48mm, and the case is under 14mm. The domed crystal is what gives the pro added height.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Heh, I just bought a Speedmaster as well! *hi-five*

It's a brand new 311.30.42.30.01.005 reference (so the classic Moonwatch) with the new bracelet and box of goodies.
It was only 3,200 from Jomashop on ebay... that almost seems too good to be true. I had to bite. I even messaged them and they confirmed it's the newest model with the box. I've never seen that price so low, much less for a new one.

We'll see what happens when it arrives.

Quoting myself but the watch did come in and everything was perfect. Brand new, with all the extras. Very happy!

Here's a couple quick phone shots. I'll take some proper pictures later on.

Seiko's first dive watch. Easily the top five best looking dive watch designs ever:

413224d1301505123-what-seiko-divers-must-have-your-colleciton-6217or62mas.jpg

They can be found for around a grand online. May be a grail watch of mine. That's if there's a decent condition one out there.

Also, I think I'm going to pick up an SKX013 in a couple of days. Since I sold my Hammy to help my mother out, I miss having an automatic watch, and at $200, you can't beat that watch.

LCfiner

Quoting myself but the watch did come in and everything was perfect. Brand new, with all the extras. Very happy!

that looks great. really like the speedy pro. congrats on the purchase. super nice watch

FWIW, I got the speedy auto and it wears quite a bit smaller than the dimensions suggest. It appears the same holds true for the pro.

the listed OD (42 or 38 for pro, auto) is not the dim of the main black bezel but also includes a 2mm asymmetric bit that extends over the chrono pushers on the right side. that part doesn’t really stand out and so the watch looks more like something 2mm smaller.

The speedy auto bracelet is a bit too flashy (more shiny, less matte) than I prefer so I bought a black hirsch grand duke strap and will be putting that on in a week when it arrives.

Fixed1979

Congrats, great watch. Hope to get my hands on one some day.

My Metro is scheduled to be delivered today, although the tracking listed on the FedEx website is a little messed up so who knows And I'm not sure if there'll be anyone home when they show up. Regardless should have it by the end of the week even if (nearly) everything goes wrong.

Top Bottom