• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

lazygecko

I don't even know what AWM is.

Yamaha had their own vector synth in 1990 called SY-22 which combined wavetable with FM using a XY crossfader. It was sort of like a budget alternative to the Korg Wavestation, which had the same XY vector setup but was purely wavetable/samples, which required a lot more memory. In hindsight, the SY-22 is probably a whole lot more fascinating. Just a shame that they haven't virtualized that kind of stuff like Korg has with their legacy products. SY-22 is probably the one vintage hardware synthesizer I would be interested in picking up.

Depends on how many I'm trying to sync. I used to use an 8x8 Motu MIDI Express to keep all my synths clocked to the DAW:

But these days if I'm just using one or two synths I'll just go straight from my PC to the synth with USB and clock it that way and sometimes I don't even bother with that, I play my Werkstatt in live with no sync and just chop the audio.
That's an awesome setup. I've just never put the time into figuring out how to get the Volcas working with midi through ableton, and I've been mostly playing my JP-08 live into the daw. Only tried to record from the Circuit once and it made a weird echo/delay as it recorded in and I haven't put the time into figuring that out yet either. Can't wait for Novation to come up with an update that lets you just dump the audio out over usb

I'm not American so I don't really know. But I have seen people link to musicians friend a lot. I don't know why you wouldn't just buy straight from the developer however since it's usually cheaper than a boxed copy. It's especially cheaper if you just subscribe to their mailing list and wait for them to do christmas/summer sales. I don't know if there's a 3rd party reseller of digital vsts but I doubt it. The only one I know of is Steam since they sell some cakewalk stuff but the offering is severely limited and the only thing I'd recommend is a discounted copy of z3ta+2.

Looking for the best price available pretty much. Haven't been actively searching during the holidays (big mistake) so I'm curious is all.

I don't even know what AWM is.

Yamaha had their own vector synth in 1990 called SY-22 which combined wavetable with FM using a XY crossfader. It was sort of like a budget alternative to the Korg Wavestation, which had the same XY vector setup but was purely wavetable/samples, which required a lot more memory. In hindsight, the SY-22 is probably a whole lot more fascinating. Just a shame that they haven't virtualized that kind of stuff like Korg has with their legacy products. SY-22 is probably the one vintage hardware synthesizer I would be interested in picking up.

Bit of a fluffy pitch vid, but this does seem to explain a few things a bit more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv4zErPCj-8

The Kree

Banned
While looking for a multiband stereo tool I discovered this:

BAENMhl.jpg

This is a game changer for me. You can throw this on a track, split it between up to seven bands, and adjust the spread, pan, and volume of each band. In addition to that, you can use additional VSTs on each band within the plugin itself - two pre fader and two post fader. And it can be sidechained to accept MIDI input to control all the various parameters.

This thing is obscenely versatile. I can see myself using this a lot on groups. It's a bit of a CPU hog though.

Foshy

While looking for a multiband stereo tool I discovered this:

BAENMhl.jpg

This is a game changer for me. You can throw this on a track, split it between up to seven bands, and adjust the spread, pan, and volume of each band. In addition to that, you can use additional VSTs on each band within the plugin itself - two pre fader and two post fader. And it can be sidechained to accept MIDI input to control all the various parameters.

This thing is obscenely versatile. I can see myself using this a lot on groups. It's a bit of a CPU hog though.

daaamn this looks like it has a lot of potential. will definitely look into this, thanks for posting it.

Falk

that puzzling face
I have to say I wasn't too impressed with what it was doing to the sound at the crossover freqs, but that was a few years ago. Should check it out again.

That plugin looks cool but I know I'll end up fucking around for hours and not knowing if I made any progress or achieved any of the things I wanted to achieve. Still might try it though because I've messed around with separating bands before.

I also messed around and made a thing today. I'm really not sure how much I like the thing I made though. I think it might be super awesome but it could also be amazingly bad. I'm not really sure, it's rough and I definitely need to polish some more but I don't know if it's worth it because I'm not sure if it's actually something anyone other than me could like. I'd appreciate some feedback if anyone has any. It's all future bassy though so if that's not your bag of tea I'm sorry, but it also has pretty ambient parts to offset all of the saw stuff so maybe still check it out?

https://soundcloud.com/yesplznothx/life-is-change/s-XotsB

That plugin looks cool but I know I'll end up fucking around for hours and not knowing if I made any progress or achieved any of the things I wanted to achieve. Still might try it though because I've messed around with separating bands before.

I also messed around and made a thing today. I'm really not sure how much I like the thing I made though. I think it might be super awesome but it could also be amazingly bad. I'm not really sure, it's rough and I definitely need to polish some more but I don't know if it's worth it because I'm not sure if it's actually something anyone other than me could like. I'd appreciate some feedback if anyone has any. It's all future bassy though so if that's not your bag of tea I'm sorry, but it also has pretty ambient parts to offset all of the saw stuff so maybe still check it out?

I like the concept a lot, but there are a couple things that didn't sit quite right with me. The fast clicking/flipping sound at the beginning and in the middle is mixed a little high for me, but I do like it a lot when it has some tonality at :36 before the synths kick in. I wouldn't mind hearing more of that. For the synths themselves the chords seem good, but I wish they weren't so choppy. I think the vocal "ha"s (something like that) could maybe have more reverb? Or something so they blend better into everything, they're just a little abrupt. I think you could also put a shaker or something similar on the last pass of the drop and it would sound cool. I like the intro, middle, and outro sections a lot, very chill and vibey

I like the concept a lot, but there are a couple things that didn't sit quite right with me. The fast clicking/flipping sound at the beginning and in the middle is mixed a little high for me, but I do like it a lot when it has some tonality at :36 before the synths kick in. I wouldn't mind hearing more of that. For the synths themselves the chords seem good, but I wish they weren't so choppy. I think the vocal "ha"s (something like that) could maybe have more reverb? Or something so they blend better into everything, they're just a little abrupt. I think you could also put a shaker or something similar on the last pass of the drop and it would sound cool. I like the intro, middle, and outro sections a lot, very chill and vibey

Thanks for the feedback man, this thread finally getting awesome. Definitely going to look over the mixing when my ears stop being assholes and I don't have to balance everything vs my imaginary tinnitus. I'm still unsure about the synth chords too, I kind of like the broken up stuttered thing but at the same time I also see how it destroys a lot of musicality. The vocal ha's are actually massive glitching out or something and I was amazed at how much it sounded like some kids in a karate school or something so I resampled it and kept it. I might still toss them because now I'm thinking I need some sort of vocal to make the track more memorable than it is. I agree that the chill sections feel better than the blaring synth sections. I'm a lot better at keeping things chill than amping it up and it's definitely one of my weak spots.

AyzOn

Neo Member

Sounds really good to me and Im exactly the opposite, I like the choppy synth. Those remind me at the Remember Me soundtrack, always liked those. :)
But I generally really like gltiched/choppy sounds so I might be biased here.

Though one thing I don't like that much is the trumpet like sound that kicks in later on, but at the same time im unsure what you could do to change that. :/

Good work man :)

Sounds really good to me and Im exactly the opposite, I like the choppy synth. Those remind me at the Remember Me soundtrack, always liked those. :)
But I generally really like gltiched/choppy sounds so I might be biased here.

Though one thing I don't like that much is the trumpet like sound that kicks in later on, but at the same time im unsure what you could do to change that. :/

Good work man :)
Haha very much the opposite, I like that trumpet sound

and FloatingDivider you shouldn't worry about being good at making chill things, I'd say that's a good thing

Holy bananas dudes, I think I made my favourite song ever during a fuckabout for a remix contest yesterday after posting that track. I was thinking about how I was better at writing chill shit and just decided to stop fighting and let the vibe take me. I went back to my pedal gazing roots and just jammed out the dopest future chill thing (imo). I might be way too hype because I crashed out yesterday and checked the shit when I woke up and had my face blown off and put back to sleep or some shit. The mix could be better but my ears are killing me after the +/- 6 hour marathon I put in on this track. Check this shit out and tell my if my hype is justified or if I should lower the meters a bit.

https://soundcloud.com/yesplznothx/2016-26-01-future-chill-stronger-holly-drummondremix/s-zH2Di

P.S Make stuff I can listen to as well.

Edit: P.P.S I think the issue with the trumpetish? sound on a re-listen is that it's too static and not mixed very well, going to add some vibrato to the tail and mix it better :D

AyzOn

Neo Member
Holy bananas dudes, I think I made my favourite song ever during a fuckabout for a remix contest yesterday after posting that track. I was thinking about how I was better at writing chill shit and just decided to stop fighting and let the vibe take me. I went back to my pedal gazing roots and just jammed out the dopest future chill thing (imo). I might be way too hype because I crashed out yesterday and checked the shit when I woke up and had my face blown off and put back to sleep or some shit. The mix could be better but my ears are killing me after the +/- 6 hour marathon I put in on this track. Check this shit out and tell my if my hype is justified or if I should lower the meters a bit.

https://soundcloud.com/yesplznothx/2016-26-01-future-chill-stronger-holly-drummondremix/s-zH2Di

Edit: P.P.S I think the issue with the trumpetish? sound on a re-listen is that it's too static and not mixed very well, going to add some vibrato to the tail and mix it better :D

Goddammit, thats even better haha
I cant tell what part is yours and what is from that original song though since I havent heard of it, but I like what Im hearing, really good chill song, youre nailing that genre.
Could definitely imagine hearing that on monstercat or something

ekim

After Logic Pro 9 doesn't work without glitching and hiccups anymore on my ancient 2009 iMac with Yosemite and I recently got myself a pretty beefy PC (i7 4790k, 16GB Ram) I decided on buying Sonar Platinum. Can't wait to dive into it after work. Watched all relevant tutorial videos.

I think my next thing might be a weird abstract soundscape texture sort of thing, at least based around the sounds I was making the other night. Not a lot of progress on it yet though

After Logic Pro 9 doesn't work without glitching and hiccups anymore on my ancient 2009 iMac with Yosemite and I recently got myself a pretty beefy PC (i7 4790k, 16GB Ram) I decided on buying Sonar Platinum. Can't wait to dive into it after work. Watched all relevant tutorial videos.

I think my next thing might be a weird abstract soundscape texture sort of thing, at least based around the sounds I was making the other night. Not a lot of progress on it yet though

I wish you both luck, if you get something worth sharing I'll totally listen to it and let you know what I think.

Falk

that puzzling face

Going from an OSX-exclusive to a Windows-exclusive is pretty hardcore.

p.s. enjoy built-in integrated Melodyne functionality. It is absurd.

NEW TRACK and i'm kinda proud of it tbh

https://soundcloud.com/maumaumusic/pharaoh

i'll be back tomorrow with feedback for everyone, in the meantime i'd appreciate it if you check it out :D

Cool stuff, I really like the easternish flavour (I'm not sure if it's actually an eastern scale or just really minor), cool stuff anyway. If I have to nitpick, I'm going to say the piano vst(sounds like a nexus preset?) you're using isn't doing it for me in particular(which is fine), and your snare is kind of bright (during the intro) while the rest of your instruments are sort of dull(I don't mean boring) but they don't have a lot of high frequency stuff going on so that sharp white noise tail on the snare stands out a lot during the intro section. I also think your pad is mixed slightly low. If I'm going to offer improvement I think it could be cool if you lowpass the first few 8 bars mike will made it style, and I also think it could be cool if you add automated delay to a few specific piano notes that fall in accented areas like the first beat of a measure. I think the intro to the drop is super cool btw, in fact that entire section is dope. Again to re-iterate cool stuff overall and I was just nitpicking shit. Definitely worthy of feeling proud of.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I also started working on something more atmospheric, if the mixing sounds bad, its not my fault this time.
Should actually sound better than usually from me, since I havent dont it myself.
https://soundcloud.com/ayzon/009a/s-zmtna

I would give feedback to that trap song, but tbh, I dont know anything about trap. Have checked it out though.

Kozak

Banned
Hey guys just wondering what would be the interest on a friendly production game?

Say if each month someone prepared a sample pack and everyone was limited to making a track using only the sounds within that pack.
Once finished we'd (well one person and I'm happy to do it) post the tracks up on a GAF soundcloud account and the track with the most buzz (likes, listens, shares etc) around it wins.

The winning track would have their track as a permanent fixture with their artist profile (soundcloud, facebook etc) promoted in the songs description.

The winner would then prepare the new sample pack.

A sub-reddit on reddit has this game but the engagement is really low seeing as the community is all over the place.

The sample packs don't need to be original creations. You can pull sounds from your favourite tracks or sample packs.

If you guys feel at least 5 of us could commit to a track a month let me know and I'll work on setting this up for the start of February :)

Hey guys just wondering what would be the interest on a friendly production game?

Say if each month someone prepared a sample pack and everyone was limited to making a track using only the sounds within that pack.
Once finished we'd (well one person and I'm happy to do it) post the tracks up on a GAF soundcloud account and the track with the most buzz (likes, listens, shares etc) around it wins.

The winning track would have their track as a permanent fixture with their artist profile (soundcloud, facebook etc) promoted in the songs description.

The winner would then prepare the new sample pack.

A sub-reddit on reddit has this game but the engagement is really low seeing as the community is all over the place.

The sample packs don't need to be original creations. You can pull sounds from your favourite tracks or sample packs.

If you guys feel at least 5 of us could commit to a track a month let me know and I'll work on setting this up for the start of February :)

I think that restriction is too rigid, it'd be cooler if you're just required to use all the samples in the pack. Every participant gets to put one or a number of samples in depending on the number of participants. I also think the winning track should be decided by internal voting. We could make a soundcloud for all of the tracks though and sort of make an ongoing gaf tape. That being said last gaf tape it took everyone 20000 months to make anything so :D.
I'm good to go right now though, I hit a creative streak and I don't know wtf is going on. Doing oldschool hip hop right now, might post it later. I also got contacted on soundcloud about doing a remix after someone heard my contest remix and the songs they linked are dope af so I hope this work out.

Kozak

Banned
Hmm I think the restriction will help people stay on task though and I want the competition to be beginner friendly. I can't compete with the sound design geniuses in here :D Plus it will be cool to see how everyone manipulates the samples in their own unique way.

If enough people disagree though I'm happy to reverse that rule.

I'm cool with internal voting. We'll put the ones we consider the best up on a GAF soundcloud.

Don't think I'll put a deadline on the month. The feedback on a track would be more pure if it was posted when there was nothing to compare it to at the time.

New pack released at the beginning of each month. I'll probably just ask around when the time nears instead of making someone do it.

Pretty keen for this, It'll kick my ass into producing instead of lazing around.

Foshy

i'd be down with a monthly contest/game/whatever.

still slightly buzzed from last night so i'm not gonna analyze how stuff is mixed right now or be particularly critical but i have love to share

https://soundcloud.com/yesplznothx/2016-26-01-future-chill-stronger-holly-drummondremix/s-zH2Di:D

DUDE THE FIRST TRACK WOW JUST WOW

literally had chills going down my spine when it got intense. you're amazing at this future chill sound. second track is soo relaxing too, i thought it might be cool if you did an echo effect with the voice in the part where you're repeating everything instead of keeping it at the same level all the time.

I also started working on something more atmospheric, if the mixing sounds bad, its not my fault this time.
Should actually sound better than usually from me, since I havent dont it myself.
you got that future corporate sound aesthetic thing down perfectly. beautifully clean and polished, thumbs up

Cool stuff, I really like the easternish flavour (I'm not sure if it's actually an eastern scale or just really minor), cool stuff anyway. If I have to nitpick, I'm going to say the piano vst(sounds like a nexus preset?) you're using isn't doing it for me in particular(which is fine), and your snare is kind of bright (during the intro) while the rest of your instruments are sort of dull(I don't mean boring) but they don't have a lot of high frequency stuff going on so that sharp white noise tail on the snare stands out a lot during the intro section. I also think your pad is mixed slightly low. If I'm going to offer improvement I think it could be cool if you lowpass the first few 8 bars mike will made it style, and I also think it could be cool if you add automated delay to a few specific piano notes that fall in accented areas like the first beat of a measure. I think the intro to the drop is super cool btw, in fact that entire section is dope. Again to re-iterate cool stuff overall and I was just nitpicking shit. Definitely worthy of feeling proud of.
thanks! uhh i'm not that advanced in music theory to tell if i used any particular scale but nice to see that the flavor is recognizable :D i actually layered a logic preset piano with the giant thing from komplete so it's 2 pianos playing most of the time. good call on the snare, as for the pads it's intentional though i just wanted them as some kind of noise floor so it doesn't sound too empty.

i'll definitely try the delay and lowpass suggestions. it's little things like that that make the whole track sound more professionally produced haha.

This is really nice. Love that ticking percussion. Everything fits together really nice, nothing stands out as being jarring or weaker. I'd be very happy with it so your hype was justified :) You've had cleaner mixes on other songs, but you already know that given that you're going to give it another mixing pass. Every time I try to make a chill song, I end up going down the Burial route and making it dark and then too many lows and mids make it muddy. But he makes it sound so easy :(

I've been struggling to make a track so far this year. Got 5 or 6 8-16 bar ideas, but I'm just not making any progress. Hate it when this happens. I need to stop trying to force ideas to becomes songs and just move on until something clicks.

ozfunghi

Honestly, not bad but i'm not getting my panties in a twist just yet. The first one has veel te veel johnny cheap thrills wat mij betreft. Especially the first part. The rest of the track might work maybe for the opening credits of a movie or tv show, but it's nothing i'd go out and buy.

The second one is nice... but honestly doesn't hold a candle compared your track of a couple of weeks ago, which is probably the best thing i've heard in this topic by far, including my own stuff, lol.

AyzOn

Neo Member
Hmm I think the restriction will help people stay on task though and I want the competition to be beginner friendly. I can't compete with the sound design geniuses in here :D Plus it will be cool to see how everyone manipulates the samples in their own unique way.

If enough people disagree though I'm happy to reverse that rule.

I'm cool with internal voting. We'll put the ones we consider the best up on a GAF soundcloud.

Don't think I'll put a deadline on the month. The feedback on a track would be more pure if it was posted when there was nothing to compare it to at the time.

New pack released at the beginning of each month. I'll probably just ask around when the time nears instead of making someone do it.

Pretty keen for this, It'll kick my ass into producing instead of lazing around.

I also dont really like the idea of rating the songs by how much "buzz" they produce, dont feel like its a fair way to measure the quality/creativity of a song.

Only problem I have with using samples only is, that I only rarely use instrumental samples. (Or are you talking about drums and stuff?)

Other than that I would definitely at least try to do something for it. :)

Speely

Banned
Wow excellent thread. Subbed and plan to read it more thoroughly when I have the time. I am about to build a Reason-based home studio for various projects (I make EDM, Rock/Indie, and Hip-Hop) and will certainly share and ask advice here.

In the past I have patched together some truly low-budget stuff. This culminated in me using: a MPC 1000, a Korg MS2000, and a few old Korg Electribes to record my weird rap album on Pro Tools while teaching myself how to use it, along with much of the outboard gear (compressors, mostly) in a studio I got to use because I helped this rich dude build it. I sound-proofed the control and recording rooms for him and got paid with free recording time, but had zero experience with Pro Tools. Was the time of my life and I learned that the best way to learn is to just go for it, even if the first effort sounds like shit (mine did, but I love the album.)

Again, great thread!

Kozak

Banned
I also dont really like the idea of rating the songs by how much "buzz" they produce, dont feel like its a fair way to measure the quality/creativity of a song.

Only problem I have with using samples only is, that I only rarely use instrumental samples. (Or are you talking about drums and stuff?)

Other than that I would definitely at least try to do something for it. :)

Ya we'll keep the voting in house :)

Yeah the samples should be one shots.

I'll upload a pack tonight. I'm just grabbing some of my favourites and putting them together.

Kinda late but better than never:
This sounds nice, very soundtrackish. I do understand why it's only a minute long since it seems like a difficult thing to segway away from into something since it's so atmospherically dense, so you're probably stuck. That being said I don't think you need to segway away from it, I'd just play with the dynamics a lot make it really big, takes things down really low etc, I don't know just guessing at shit here. Also it'd be cool if you sidechain that kick at some point to push everything out of the way but that's just an aesthetic preference for me, so you know experiment with that. Cool stuff, definitely keep going!

//Decided to finish those songs first.
Now I feel bad for skipping over these, repost them or pm them if you want some help or someone to listen dude.
DUDE THE FIRST TRACK WOW JUST WOW

literally had chills going down my spine when it got intense. you're amazing at this future chill sound. second track is soo relaxing too, i thought it might be cool if you did an echo effect with the voice in the part where you're repeating everything instead of keeping it at the same level all the time.

thanks! uhh i'm not that advanced in music theory to tell if i used any particular scale but nice to see that the flavor is recognizable :D i actually layered a logic preset piano with the giant thing from komplete so it's 2 pianos playing most of the time. good call on the snare, as for the pads it's intentional though i just wanted them as some kind of noise floor so it doesn't sound too empty.

i'll definitely try the delay and lowpass suggestions. it's little things like that that make the whole track sound more professionally produced haha.
Thanks it means a lot to me that you like it that much, kind making me internet blush.

I actually tried a delay/echo there and didn't like or couldn't pull it off, mostly because I really wanted it to sound repetitive to emphasize the whole lie after lie time after time by making it sound slightly monotonous. I did add harmonies but I mixed them to low so they don't make it pop enough, going to fix that later, make it louder(within reason because fuck the loudness wars I don't enjoy competing) and upload for the competition.

I'm not that advanced in music theory either, it's cool bro, I'm not going to get all snobby about it. I'm just vaguely aware of a lot of stuff because I spent 2 years with a jazz guitar teacher who jammed my head with shit I'm only vaguely beginning to comprehend half a decade later. I'm still shit by any classically trained standard but I try to improve all the time.

This is really nice. Love that ticking percussion. Everything fits together really nice, nothing stands out as being jarring or weaker. I'd be very happy with it so your hype was justified :) You've had cleaner mixes on other songs, but you already know that given that you're going to give it another mixing pass. Every time I try to make a chill song, I end up going down the Burial route and making it dark and then too many lows and mids make it muddy. But he makes it sound so easy :(

I've been struggling to make a track so far this year. Got 5 or 6 8-16 bar ideas, but I'm just not making any progress. Hate it when this happens. I need to stop trying to force ideas to becomes songs and just move on until something clicks.
Thanks man, I agree, I'll definitely give it another mixing pass. I've been in 8-16 bar land before, the only way to get out is to work man. Don't have too many expectations, try shit out and remember that there's a delete key for when things don't work out.

As for the being naturally inclined to write things that sounds like Burial, I don't think that's a bad thing. At some point some songs just don't end up going where you had intended them to go but I'd say if the vibe is working for you roll with it. I like his stuff a lot anyway so I'd be down for hearing what comes out. As for the mixing I'm not the best at it myself so I shouldn't really comment but to me his tracks always sound sort of midscoopy. Like either he's eq'ing away a ton of shit on individual tracks or it's just on the master bus, like his kicks and basses have this empty knock to them that I think kind of give it away. With the lush reverbs and noise layering it sounds super lo fi chique. Then again sometimes his basses are all mids, I don't know I haven't succesfully pulled off the sound myself so you know I could just be talking out of my ass.

Honestly, not bad but i'm not getting my panties in a twist just yet. The first one has veel te veel johnny cheap thrills wat mij betreft. Especially the first part. The rest of the track might work maybe for the opening credits of a movie or tv show, but it's nothing i'd go out and buy.

The second one is nice... but honestly doesn't hold a candle compared your track of a couple of weeks ago, which is probably the best thing i've heard in this topic by far, including my own stuff, lol.

Thanks, and that's cool, I understand that you think it might be too much like a musical thrillride at parts, I mean that's sort of what I was shooting for so I'm not going to change it but I understand the sentiment.
That being said I'm not over the synthwave thing at all either though so that track is getting finished and I've got more things I'm working on with that vibe so I'll totally throw those up here for you to check out.

KooopaKid

Banned
Hello,

I'm only just starting to use Cubase 5 (with Windows 10) and I'm having some trouble with a VST instrument. Its sound change everytime I re-open my project. Sometimes, there's no sound at all for the associated midi track without changing anything. It's weird!
Is the VST instrument dodgy, or is it about the driver I use (ASIO DirectX), or my motherboard (GA-H170-D3HP)? Should I have a dedicated sound card?

Do you know good links to find free or cheap VST instruments online?

Thanks!

Accoun

Do you know good links to find free or cheap VST instruments online?

Bedroom Producers' Blog has some lists of free plugins, you might want to check them out. As far as "cheap" I dunno, but at worst you can give a budget here or on KVR. But if you are starting, you might want to stick to your DAW's stuff, or check out the more popular free synths, like Synth1, TyrellN6, TAL stuff etc.).

The Kree

Banned

Do you have any grasp on music theory, even just the basics? You can push forward on technician work alone if you know how to apply it.

If you've got a melody, you should find the scale(s) it's working in. Find all the triad chords in that scale. Remove one note from those triads and you've got harmonies. Try arranging the chords in different progressions. Play the chord notes sequentially instead of simultaneously to form arpeggios. String arpeggios from different chords together to form melodies. Morph those chords by either augmenting or diminishing them (raising the top or top+middle note) to create tension and release by going from major to minor chords. Stuff like that.

KooopaKid

Banned
Bedroom Producers' Blog has some lists of free plugins, you might want to check them out. As far as "cheap" I dunno, but at worst you can give a budget here or on KVR. But if you are starting, you might want to stick to your DAW's stuff, or check out the more popular free synths, like Synth1, TyrellN6, TAL stuff etc.).

Bedroom Producers' Blog? Ok I'll look into that. Thanks.

Kozak

Banned
Hey Homies sorry for the delay on that competition..Had some commitments yesterday that I couldn't get done fast enough.

I'm going to kick it off by using the Reddit competition as a guide..

Rules
  • Create a song using only the samples provided. You may not use synths or extra samples to create sounds. The sounds in the sample pack must be the only sound sources/generators.
  • Process the sounds however you want. Cut, slice, warp, timestretch, granulize, resynthesize. Use any effects or editing you like. If you want to use a vocoder, the carrier and modulator must both be samples from the sample pack. You may resample the sounds you create. Using the samples as the sound source for a granulizer or wavetable synth is allowed.
  • Any genre of music is accepted.

Once you finish the tracks I've set up a GAF soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/sounds-of-neogaf and an email address gafsoundcloud@gmail.com

You can either pm me for the log in details, email your track to that gmail or upload to your own soundcloud and we'll use the account to repost. I'll only be giving the log in details out to people who are active in this thread. Its not that I don't trust you all, its just an active member isn't likely to risk their profile :)

Due to some commitments and restrictions I'm going to use a custom pack someone else put together for a similar comp.

The sounds are very unique and interesting :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pgo8t9djhb530ah/2015-12+pack.rar

Deadline to get your track in is by the end of February.

Good luck everyone who decides to participate. I'm honestly keen to see what everyone can churn out, especially from us newbies :)

ekim

Hey Homies sorry for the delay on that competition..Had some commitments yesterday that I couldn't get done fast enough.

I'm going to kick it off by using the Reddit competition as a guide..

Rules
  • Create a song using only the samples provided. You may not use synths or extra samples to create sounds. The sounds in the sample pack must be the only sound sources/generators.
  • Process the sounds however you want. Cut, slice, warp, timestretch, granulize, resynthesize. Use any effects or editing you like. If you want to use a vocoder, the carrier and modulator must both be samples from the sample pack. You may resample the sounds you create. Using the samples as the sound source for a granulizer or wavetable synth is allowed.
  • Any genre of music is accepted.

Once you finish the tracks I've set up a GAF soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/sounds-of-neogaf and an email address gafsoundcloud@gmail.com

You can either pm me for the log in details, email your track to that gmail or upload to your own soundcloud and we'll use the account to repost. I'll only be giving the log in details out to people who are active in this thread. Its not that I don't trust you all, its just an active member isn't likely to risk their profile :)

Due to some commitments and restrictions I'm going to use a custom pack someone else put together for a similar comp.

The sounds are very unique and interesting :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pgo8t9djhb530ah/2015-12+pack.rar

Deadline to get your track in is by the end of February.

Good luck everyone who decides to participate. I'm honestly keen to see what everyone can churn out, especially from us newbies :)

Listening through the samples right now.

Thanks man, I agree, I'll definitely give it another mixing pass. I've been in 8-16 bar land before, the only way to get out is to work man. Don't have too many expectations, try shit out and remember that there's a delete key for when things don't work out.

As for the being naturally inclined to write things that sounds like Burial, I don't think that's a bad thing. At some point some songs just don't end up going where you had intended them to go but I'd say if the vibe is working for you roll with it. I like his stuff a lot anyway so I'd be down for hearing what comes out. As for the mixing I'm not the best at it myself so I shouldn't really comment but to me his tracks always sound sort of midscoopy. Like either he's eq'ing away a ton of shit on individual tracks or it's just on the master bus, like his kicks and basses have this empty knock to them that I think kind of give it away. With the lush reverbs and noise layering it sounds super lo fi chique. Then again sometimes his basses are all mids, I don't know I haven't succesfully pulled off the sound myself so you know I could just be talking out of my ass.

I haven't successfully pulled it off either :p But I enjoy trying. I dunno, I really like something that sounds like a beat up antique of a song. But it's hard to get it to sound purposeful and not just amateur. I have learned a lot when trying though, which is something I often take for granted -- not getting a good song out of a session doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

Do you have any grasp on music theory, even just the basics? You can push forward on technician work alone if you know how to apply it.

If you've got a melody, you should find the scale(s) it's working in. Find all the triad chords in that scale. Remove one note from those triads and you've got harmonies. Try arranging the chords in different progressions. Play the chord notes sequentially instead of simultaneously to form arpeggios. String arpeggios from different chords together to form melodies. Morph those chords by either augmenting or diminishing them (raising the top or top+middle note) to create tension and release by going from major to minor chords. Stuff like that.

I understand basic music theory. I don't usually have a problem with forming various chords, harmonies, arpeggios or adhering to scales; creating melodies isn't really the issue for me. I can always learn more of course, and the stuff you're saying will help, but I mainly get stuck on choosing/creating the right sounds and experimenting with sound design and trying to flesh it out into a full track that I'm happy with. I've had this problem before though, I'm sure a lot of people get a producer/musician version of "writers block". I'll probably commit more to trying this month; last month and the Christmas period was super busy. Thanks for the advice though!

Top Bottom