• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

Can anyone tell me what software I can use to make long dark basslines? I want to make something with a bassline like this:

https://soundcloud.com/drumcode/alan-fitzpatrick-eternia-masteredwav

Thanks!

You could pretty much use any popular/native VST synth to achieve that sound (I would help, but I am absolutely terrible at sound design/synthesis). It sounds like a saw/supersaw bass with some detune and maybe a low-pass filter on top of it.

If you could share what VSTs you currently have, it would be easier.

Edit: I was unaware that Falk was apart of Video Game Orchestra. Explains his vast knowledge.

have everything pretty much wired up now!

VhHqUnC.jpg

Falk

that puzzling face
Hahahaha, that's pretty dope.

My home studio setup pretty much also goes through the same interface/amp/speakers+headphones as my gaming rigs (PC, PS3, PS4)

More than a couple of times now stuff has come full circle where I work on soundtrack stuff, game gets released, gets played on the same setup where it was produced/engineered.

have everything pretty much wired up now!

That looks excellent but as an extremely tall person that also looks like murder is the case that they gave your back. Also I'd be bound to trip all over that wire-soup destroying your whole setup in an instant so never invite me to come make music at your house. Still looks super chill though. Also does your ikea rechargable battery pack whine when you plug it in? I ask because I have the exact same one and it whines at a really high pitch when charging and I'm wondering if it's a defect or the status quo.

That looks excellent but as an extremely tall person that also looks like murder is the case that they gave your back. Also I'd be bound to trip all over that wire-soup destroying your whole setup in an instant so never invite me to come make music at your house. Still looks super chill though. Also does your ikea rechargable battery pack whine when you plug it in? I ask because I have the exact same one and it whines at a really high pitch when charging and I'm wondering if it's a defect or the status quo.
Fortunately I'm not tall, and I like sitting on my couch which is where I took the photo from. And yeah, the wires are not ideal :(

no, the battery pack doesn't seem to make any noise, I think you might have a defect

On the one hand that Minilogue looks super cool and sexy because it has a bunch of knobs and knobs are like nipples on hot electronics, you can never have too many to tweak. On the other hand it's more shit to shove into a room and you'll probably need physical access to it to make it go, right?

I really want to get into hardware but as a staunch minimalist in home decoration it's really hard for me to commit. I think I can hear the general difference between soft synths and hardware although it seems really hard for me to quantify? So I kind of want to know if you dudes that are gassing for it, do you focus your production on synths like these? Or is it sort of a sound to throw in the library of sounds? I mean it seems quite capable but you're obviously going to need to bounce around to do a full track? Does it come with some sort of control software so you can change parameters without having to go turn some physical knobs?

I mean I've seen deadmau5 use some of his analogue shit during livestreams and it sort of seems terrible to me workflow wise. He also manages to spend hours tweaking those knobs. And as someone with ears that stop registering anything but the most drastic of changes after listening to something loop for 30 seconds it seems impossible to use.

On the one hand that Minilogue looks super cool and sexy because it has a bunch of knobs and knobs are like nipples on hot electronics, you can never have too many to tweak. On the other hand it's more shit to shove into a room and you'll probably need physical access to it to make it go, right?

I really want to get into hardware but as a staunch minimalist in home decoration it's really hard for me to commit. I think I can hear the general difference between soft synths and hardware although it seems really hard for me to quantify? So I kind of want to know if you dudes that are gassing for it, do you focus your production on synths like these? Or is it sort of a sound to throw in the library of sounds? I mean it seems quite capable but you're obviously going to need to bounce around to do a full track? Does it come with some sort of control software so you can change parameters without having to go turn some physical knobs?

I mean I've seen deadmau5 use some of his analogue shit during livestreams and it sort of seems terrible to me workflow wise. He also manages to spend hours tweaking those knobs. And as someone with ears that stop registering anything but the most drastic of changes after listening to something loop for 30 seconds it seems impossible to use.
It can definitely be more difficult to get hardware into your workflow than having everything in-box, but personally there's something about working with physical knobs and switches that's way more immediate than clicking and dragging with a mouse

Fusebox

Banned
Got my Minilogue pre-ordered, reminds me of my old Tetra but with a proper interface. I also won a Moog Werkstatt auction the other day for only AUS$249, that should be fun too.

Having already owned and sold loads of analog kit I'm under no illusion that they're gonna make my music better anymore but damn these look like some fun bits of kit, can't wait for them to get here.

ozfunghi

Sup fellow producers homeboys! Happy holidays and stuff. If any of you have time to check out a wip thing and let me know what you think that'd be cool. I'll totally check out any stuff you want me to check out too. (this is not a like for like thing though, so you don't just have to tell me you like it unless you actually do.)

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE THINGY

It's supposed to be a synthwave/synthpop, melancholic euphoria, 80's sounding song, and I think I got pretty close to the sound I wanted. The vocals/arrangement/lyrics aren't done because I want a girl to sing it and the only one I found willing to do it was my girlfriend, who is not a singer at all and has some real vocal limitations to work around. This is basically a demo to convince her. That being said it's also an experiment to see if I could record and mix vocals and not have it sound like absolute garbage even when it's just an untrained singer reluctantly being pressured into singing. I personally think I'm getting closer to figuring out vocal bus compression and I also went through all of the manual/help videos on the melodyne website so I'm a lot more capable in terms of accurately correcting pitch and timing. So that's better than it usually is but..

I'm really struggling with de-essing things though. I have none of the just throw it on a track and watch it de-ess plugins, I ended up fucking around with it a lot(sidechained compression, eq's, volume automation etc) and now they all sound obnoxiously shit to me. I'm also really unsure about the stereo spreading on the vocals, again I don't have any of the good stuff like waves doubler so I ended up putzing around a lot and ended up with a mix of a semi-broken freeware plugin(adt), izotope imager, and duplicating tracks+panning/detune to get the width I wanted but it's hard as hell to accurately monitor on headphones and I don't use monitors usually.

I like it a lot tbh. I heard one part where the vocals seemed to be "processed" by something autotuney, but other than that, i had no problems with her singing... in fact, i think it's a bit of a shame that you are off on numerous occasions with the timing. This may be because her timing was off originally, but you should be able to fix that very easily. Her voice comes in too late, many times.

Other than that, i have no remarks, other than it being too short, because i really like the sound and the song.

PS: i don't agree on the other poster's comments. It doesn't need to sound fuller, it doesn't even need the snares to begin with IMO. Certainly not more of them. I like the fact that it's clean (as in pure), with the background pads getting some breath, because they work really well. Just get the timing on the vocals right, and i'd buy it. Maybe you can add some effects (reverb, chorus(?)) to the vocals (like in A Real Hero), even though i don't need it, but it's an option.

I tried to be Madeon http://picosong.com/EPeJ/

I sorta got his type of kick, but I cannot touch his snares.

Not a big fan of Madeon, but this sounded nice.

Fusebox

Banned
Just got into work and my Werkstatt was waiting for me on my desk, sweeeet! Makes up for the extra 2 weeks delays on my Minilogue.

Just got into work and my Werkstatt was waiting for me on my desk, sweeeet! Makes up for the extra 2 weeks delays on my Minilogue.
I didn't even know what that was so I looked it up and it seems like good times if you're into patch cables and knobs and sounds. I'd probably come up way short in 2 weeks though, I'd need like 5 months to figure that thing out :D. One day I'm going to meet someone local with a bunch of stuff that has knobs you can turn to make bleepityboops and I'll befriend him so I can go turn knobs at their place leaving me free to micro-manage my obsessive compulsive minimalist disorder while still getting the sounds of analog crazyness I don't even understand at all.

I like it a lot tbh. I heard one part where the vocals seemed to be "processed" by something autotuney, but other than that, i had no problems with her singing... in fact, i think it's a bit of a shame that you are off on numerous occasions with the timing. This may be because her timing was off originally, but you should be able to fix that very easily. Her voice comes in too late, many times.

Other than that, i have no remarks, other than it being too short, because i really like the sound and the song.

PS: i don't agree on the other poster's comments. It doesn't need to sound fuller, it doesn't even need the snares to begin with IMO. Certainly not more of them. I like the fact that it's clean (as in pure), with the background pads getting some breath, because they work really well. Just get the timing on the vocals right, and i'd buy it. Maybe you can add some effects (reverb, chorus(?)) to the vocals (like in A Real Hero), even though i don't need it, but it's an option.

Thanks for your comments, you're right about the vocals having moments where they're not as in time/on the beat as they should be and I'll definitely pay more attention to that when I'm finishing up the full song. Which your too short comment has actually inspired me to do. That being said you have no idea how out of time and out of pitch the vocals originally were. She essentially recorded them with closed headphones on and an inability to hear herself sing, while listening to my fairly out of tune guide track (because I can't sing for shit either). I'd upload the completely unprocessed vocal takes but my girlfriend would literally murder me. Now I just need to convince my girlfriend to sing 2 verses and and a bridge, and maybe some harmonies for the 2nd chorus. Wish me luck fella's.

Also goddamn that song you linked is good, I had forgotten about it after I got off of my drive soundtrack kick sometime in 2013 but goddamn that song is so good. And you're right I should definitely look into getting some of that ethereal delayed washed out quality into the vocals on this track.

Hey guys, I've been wondering if GAF had a music production community for a while now, just haven't gotten around to looking. Found you guys linked in the GAF TAPE 2 thread and I figured I would pop in.

Here's my SoundCloud.

Feel free to drop by and give feedback.

Looking forward to working with you guys and see what you guys put out! :)

Picked mine up today (some South Florida GC's got them in today) but couldn't do much with it due to family and work obligations. Sooooo looking forward to tomorrow.

As Teknopathetic states, Korg are going to sell a fuckton of these.

ozfunghi

I didn't even know what that was so I looked it up and it seems like good times if you're into patch cables and knobs and sounds. I'd probably come up way short in 2 weeks though, I'd need like 5 months to figure that thing out :D. One day I'm going to meet someone local with a bunch of stuff that has knobs you can turn to make bleepityboops and I'll befriend him so I can go turn knobs at their place leaving me free to micro-manage my obsessive compulsive minimalist disorder while still getting the sounds of analog crazyness I don't even understand at all.

Werkstatt looks nice, but it seems (IMO) overpriced. Even compared to other Moog stuff. Fake Edit: i see the price has come down again (€239), making it more of an option. But a while ago it was selling for 299 or even more for some time, in which case i'd suggest an MS20 mini, Microbrute, Taurus... especially if you're not really into tinkering and CV and stuff. Even a Pulse2 is much better value at €485.

As for your song... personally, i don't need her to sing a bridge and more verses. You can easily finish it without. If i can make a near 7 minute track with one vocal (talkbox) sample that lasts 5 seconds, i'm sure you can get this to work, lol.

Here's my SoundCloud.

Not really my cup of tea, so i'll leave the commenting to others.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I usually dont really post on gaf, but I hope this is a topic I can contribute a bit to.

Unfortunately Im not having access to my monitors right now so the mixing of this little mashup of 3 WIP(like, really early) projects of mine, might sound really shitty.

Also usually Im not making this kind of music as you can see by the rest of my soundcloud page but I felt like trying myself at some darker drum and base music.

https://soundcloud.com/ayzon/002-006-007-mashup/s-J1pXa

This is more what Im usually doing.:
https://soundcloud.com/ayzon/001a

Is there anyone else making drum and bass on gaf?

ozfunghi

Fusebox

Banned

Yeah as it is the Werkstatt is a bit of a toy but it was only AUS$249 which is dirt cheap and it was fun to assemble. I'd never recommend something like to someone starting out though, as basic a synth as it is you need to wrestle with it to integrate it and it's missing all the mod-cons. Definitely try and find someone with a modular rig though and make friends with them so you can play with it, everyone should have a wiggle at least once!

StoreDJ called me yesterday and said there's a small delay with the Korg Minilogues and I won't be getting it at the end of the month now it'll be closer to mid-Feb.

edit: Speaking of modular, Waldorf are on a Eurorack tear. Look at this keyboard!!!

http://www.waldorf-music.info/en/kb37

I said goddamn, I want one.

Yeah as it is the Werkstatt is a bit of a toy but it was only AUS$249 which is dirt cheap and it was fun to assemble. I'd never recommend something like to someone starting out though, as basic a synth as it is you need to wrestle with it to integrate it and it's missing all the mod-cons. Definitely try and find someone with a modular rig though and make friends with them so you can play with it, everyone should have a wiggle at least once!

StoreDJ called me yesterday and said there's a small delay with the Korg Minilogues and I won't be getting it at the end of the month now it'll be closer to mid-Feb.

edit: Speaking of modular, Waldorf are on a Eurorack tear. Look at this keyboard!!!

http://www.waldorf-music.info/en/kb37

I said goddamn, I want one.
Just saw that today, that's awesome

Hey? New people, old people, other producers! Awesome! Welcome (back), glad to have you here in, bar none, the best thread community side for the year of our lord 2016. I see a bunch of you want feedback so I'll start the feedback train. I'm going to be constructive, your songs are probably awesome already but I'll try to go into why I like/dislike certain things about them. None of my comments are meant to be mean or anything of that nature so if they come across badly my apologies in advance.

Werkstatt looks nice, but it seems (IMO) overpriced. Even compared to other Moog stuff. Fake Edit: i see the price has come down again (€239), making it more of an option. But a while ago it was selling for 299 or even more for some time, in which case i'd suggest an MS20 mini, Microbrute, Taurus... especially if you're not really into tinkering and CV and stuff. Even a Pulse2 is much better value at €485. As for your song... personally, i don't need her to sing a bridge and more verses. You can easily finish it without. If i can make a near 7 minute track with one vocal (talkbox) sample that lasts 5 seconds, i'm sure you can get this to work, lol.
Everything is overpriced if you're not trying to spend money on gear after learning the hard way that gear doesn't make you awesome (Hi, les paul and gretsch white falcon I never use, because I'm average as fuck at playing guitar and want to be exceptional). I've taken a vow to avoid spending more money until I've made like 5$ making music (I aim low, so what?) but I never try selling music so it's probably a dumb vow. I should just upgrade to ableton 9, that new simpler looks so good :§. I agree that I could probably finish the track with just what I have but I really want a verse so I'm going to veto your suggestion. I feel like the verse+b section of the chorus really paint the story for the song better than just leaving it as a quasi one liner. I was also sort of panicky when I saw your soundcloud comment that said the synth was killing you because it cut off the ,Awesome so I was like noooooo it sucks balls, but then I was like yeaaah it's awesome.

I also checked out the track you linked, your synths sound so analog and fat I'm super jealous. I like the song but I found the key modulation (which I think this was right? I'm not sure because I'm not classically trained or anything) from the intro groove to the let's run away together section sort of jarring. I could leave timestamped comments if you want but since your track isn't private I don't want to get all critical on your timeline and shit. Sounds good to me overall though, could totally blaze some haze and fade out to it.

I usually dont really post on gaf, but I hope this is a topic I can contribute a bit to.

Unfortunately Im not having access to my monitors right now so the mixing of this little mashup of 3 WIP(like, really early) projects of mine, might sound really shitty.

Also usually Im not making this kind of music as you can see by the rest of my soundcloud page but I felt like trying myself at some darker drum and base music.

I've dabbled before, but I can't say I'm extensively educated on the minutiae of DnB though, which is why the snippet I linked on the dabbled is short /D. That being said I checked out your thing, I liked the middle one (006 the most) but I'm also way into pretty pads and vocal chops. They all sound worthy of finishing to me though if only to see what they'd feel like as full songs. If I'm ranking them in order of preference it goes middle, last, first. I do think the drums on 006 aren't hitting me hard enough though, but I don't know how to fix it because mine usually don't either :D. Maybe just use some EQ and make them very much louder carnage style
j/k please don't

https://soundcloud.com/maumaumusic/covered-in-money

a friend asked me to make a trap-sounding beat for him to rap over it, kinda happy how it turned out personally and wanted to share.

would love to hear your opinions on it :)

Damn son, where'd you find this? No joke hot stuff man. I really don't have much to say because this is some competent ass trap, your triplets sound tight, snare rolls are on point etc, shit's dope. The only tiny ass complaint I have is that I wasn't sold on the 808 straight away but it's not awful either and definitely grew on me. I think it might be the release on the sidechain being so long but I know that's a stylistic choice thing so A+ on the trap beat dude.

Hey guys, I've been wondering if GAF had a music production community for a while now, just haven't gotten around to looking. Found you guys linked in the GAF TAPE 2 thread and I figured I would pop in.
Here's my SoundCloud.

I swear I've seen your name around here before but I've never listened to any of the music on your soundcloud. So I just did. I started with an entree of your melbourne bounce drop teaser, which I thought sounded like authentic melbourne bounce but it didn't really grab me by the balls (or ears), and I think the glide on the lead might be too long because it sort of sounds flat to me. I had a main course of Ball drop your future house song, which I thought sounded good but I had to really fight the urge to skip that dj intro. And I also really dislike the pew pew lazer background layer during one of the drops it just ruins everything for me personally when it comes in. I also feel like the mix/master sounds sort of overblown limiting wise. I finished with a dessert of Sillioute (Silhouette?) and I kind of disliked that one but it's also just not my thing, it's slightly too atonal/noise based for my enjoyment.

I hope everyone enjoys the feedback.

Fusebox

Banned
Doin good work FD, get that ball rolling. Lets make 2016 the year we all comment on each others tunes fo real. I'm as guilty of posting and running as everyone else but I'm gonna do my bit from now one.

I swear I've seen your name around here before but I've never listened to any of the music on your soundcloud. So I just did. I started with an entree of your melbourne bounce drop teaser, which I thought sounded like authentic melbourne bounce but it didn't really grab me by the balls (or ears), and I think the glide on the lead might be too long because it sort of sounds flat to me. I had a main course of Ball drop your future house song, which I thought sounded good but I had to really fight the urge to skip that dj intro. And I also really dislike the pew pew lazer background layer during one of the drops it just ruins everything for me personally when it comes in. I also feel like the mix/master sounds sort of overblown limiting wise. I finished with a dessert of Sillioute (Silhouette?) and I kind of disliked that one but it's also just not my thing, it's slightly too atonal/noise based for my enjoyment.

I hope everyone enjoys the feedback.

I really do appreciate this feedback, it's some of the only honest feedback I've gotten in my short time as an amateur producer, and I agree with most of it. In the last year, I took a bit of a hiatus when it came to making stuff, and as a result, I don't feel as good as I did when it came to crafting melodies and counter-melodies and whatnot. A lot of what I'm doing are just proof of concept pieces to prove that this is something that I can do. (I have to disagree with you on Silhouette, that one is a personal favorite of mine!)

ozfunghi

I also checked out the track you linked, your synths sound so analog and fat I'm super jealous. I like the song but I found the key modulation (which I think this was right? I'm not sure because I'm not classically trained or anything) from the intro groove to the let's run away together section sort of jarring. I could leave timestamped comments if you want but since your track isn't private I don't want to get all critical on your timeline and shit. Sounds good to me overall though, could totally blaze some haze and fade out to it.

Haha, i know what you mean. Both parts were originally separate tracks, in a different key. But they both tell a different part of the same story for me (to me it's literally a mental and emotional road movie). The title and talkbox lyrics are very symbolic (to me, personally). By the way, only the sequenced bassline, the sequenced phased synth that gets stacked on top of it, and the talkbox are analog. All the rest isn't. The other track i posted earlier, has much more analog stuff (including the beat section) in there.

As for the jarring part, like i explained, it's the way it has to be. I also think it's what keeps the track interesting.

Foshy

Damn son, where'd you find this? No joke hot stuff man. I really don't have much to say because this is some competent ass trap, your triplets sound tight, snare rolls are on point etc, shit's dope. The only tiny ass complaint I have is that I wasn't sold on the 808 straight away but it's not awful either and definitely grew on me. I think it might be the release on the sidechain being so long but I know that's a stylistic choice thing so A+ on the trap beat dude.

thanks! :D yeah i'm still looking for the perfect 808 sound. after a bit of tinkering i ended up just using the Trap Bass preset from Logic heavily sidechained to the kick and it sounds good enough buuut could be better I guess. good call on the release time, i was going for a soft bass with long attack in the hook but i'll play around with it a bit for other tracks.

i'll try my hand at some constructive feedback too, don't wanna be harsh but i hope i can help :) not much time to listen to everything now but i'll come back later and comment everything i can

Sup fellow producers homeboys! Happy holidays and stuff. If any of you have time to check out a wip thing and let me know what you think that'd be cool. I'll totally check out any stuff you want me to check out too. (this is not a like for like thing though, so you don't just have to tell me you like it unless you actually do.)

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE THINGY

It's supposed to be a synthwave/synthpop, melancholic euphoria, 80's sounding song, and I think I got pretty close to the sound I wanted. The vocals/arrangement/lyrics aren't done because I want a girl to sing it and the only one I found willing to do it was my girlfriend, who is not a singer at all and has some real vocal limitations to work around. This is basically a demo to convince her. That being said it's also an experiment to see if I could record and mix vocals and not have it sound like absolute garbage even when it's just an untrained singer reluctantly being pressured into singing. I personally think I'm getting closer to figuring out vocal bus compression and I also went through all of the manual/help videos on the melodyne website so I'm a lot more capable in terms of accurately correcting pitch and timing. So that's better than it usually is but..

I'm really struggling with de-essing things though. I have none of the just throw it on a track and watch it de-ess plugins, I ended up fucking around with it a lot(sidechained compression, eq's, volume automation etc) and now they all sound obnoxiously shit to me. I'm also really unsure about the stereo spreading on the vocals, again I don't have any of the good stuff like waves doubler so I ended up putzing around a lot and ended up with a mix of a semi-broken freeware plugin(adt), izotope imager, and duplicating tracks+panning/detune to get the width I wanted but it's hard as hell to accurately monitor on headphones and I don't use monitors usually.

First off I love the overall vibe of the song and the instruments you picked are great, so big up from me. As you said I feel like the de-essing is a bit weird and unnatural when you start listening closely, I can't unhear "she has diamondthh in her eyethh" lol.

Also personal opinion but maybe try lowering the gain on the pulsating bass from 0:38 onward just a liiiiittle bit? It sounds fine at low volume but I felt like it was slightly overpowering when I turned up. Might be my setup but it's probably worth experimenting how your complete mix sounds on different volume levels.

(btw your won't go for more bootleg is godlike, i listen to that regularly haha)

001a sounds really really nice. could see it working as background music for a mirror's edge trailer or something like that :D

While you're at it mind doing mine? Should note that the structure is pretty rough

https://soundcloud.com/alcoves-2/enddays

there's some nice ideas and the hypnotic vibe is there, structure needs some cleaning up though like you said. the track feels like it's going nowhere sometimes and the subby kick makes it a bit tiring to listen to. you could try some EQing on the drums to filter the highest frequencies of the hi-hat and the lowest ones of the kick to make it a bit easier on the ears.

i like the part from 2:05 to 2:35 a lot, maybe skip the next 30 seconds and bring in the big synth and hihat from 3:05 right after that instead of extending the build up.

AyzOn

Neo Member
Not big on D&B personally, but the second track, i could find myself listening to. That's meant as a compliment.

Im glad for every listener that I can get, thanks. :)

I've dabbled before, but I can't say I'm extensively educated on the minutiae of DnB though, which is why the snippet I linked on the dabbled is short /D. That being said I checked out your thing, I liked the middle one (006 the most) but I'm also way into pretty pads and vocal chops...
Thanks for listening :)
My mashup is a mess to be honest. I had never done a mashup before so the transitions are rough, the mixing is also a mess since all I got at the moment is a turtle beach headset. All it knows is bass.
So I´m not too worried about hard hitting drums yet.
If you´re talking about the Snare´s, I think they are just that "soft", I might want to think about layering them at some point. (Or I EQ them to hell and back :p)

001a sounds really really nice. could see it working as background music for a mirror's edge trailer or something like that :D

I had a friend telling me that my music often sounds like music from car commercials, but I like your analogy much better, thank you. :)

I hope you guys don't mind that I followed you on soundcloud...

there's some nice ideas and the hypnotic vibe is there, structure needs some cleaning up though like you said. the track feels like it's going nowhere sometimes and the subby kick makes it a bit tiring to listen to. you could try some EQing on the drums to filter the highest frequencies of the hi-hat and the lowest ones of the kick to make it a bit easier on the ears.

i like the part from 2:05 to 2:35 a lot, maybe skip the next 30 seconds and bring in the big synth and hihat from 3:05 right after that instead of extending the build up.
thanks a lot! I'll go back and try that out

Fusebox

Banned
Lol the Maxibrute was always a joke name, can't believe they just ran with it. Looks like a beast though, anyone getting an EMS Synthi vibe from it? I fucking love the Steiner Parker filter too, it's a monster. For all that though my Minibrute never really found a niche in my studio, just a bit too simple and too aggressive sounding, was more fun to dick with it than try and squeeze it into a tune. Can't wait to hear some demos from the Maxi.

"Came here to post it... No price is known. And it's mono too. The design somehow looks familiar... lol."

Yeah, it's very obviously Moog-inspired but a bit more modern/futuristic. I like the replacing of patch cables with a button matrix.

Guys I am really loving my Minilogue. There are definitely minor niggles but man what you get for the price it is ridiculous. The interface is so immediate, its probably the perfect beginner synth. Hard to define its character but I would definitely say its unique and complements my JU-06 nicely.

Came here to post it... No price is known. And it's mono too. The design somehow looks familiar... lol.

It's up on Sweetwater. Priced at a reasonable (no sarcasm) $1999. I can't wait for Nice from Sonic State to give it a spin.

Oh and I am all in with the Korg FM Volca. Compatible with DX7 patches too!!

Fusebox

Banned
Guys I am really loving my Minilogue. There are definitely minor niggles but man what you get for the price it is ridiculous. The interface is so immediate, its probably the perfect beginner synth. Hard to define its character but I would definitely say its unique and complements my JU-06 nicely.

Oooh good to hear, can't wait for mine to ship! Us Aussies are getting it mid-Feb.

Out of curiosity, how are you guy setting up your synths? Do you have them wired into other machines and all have a shared clock, or are you just playing it into your DAW, or some other way?

Fusebox

Banned
Out of curiosity, how are you guy setting up your synths? Do you have them wired into other machines and all have a shared clock, or are you just playing it into your DAW, or some other way?

Depends on how many I'm trying to sync. I used to use an 8x8 Motu MIDI Express to keep all my synths clocked to the DAW:

But these days if I'm just using one or two synths I'll just go straight from my PC to the synth with USB and clock it that way and sometimes I don't even bother with that, I play my Werkstatt in live with no sync and just chop the audio.

Yoooooo, I love the response my feedback post got, y'all some cool dudes, I think it's dope more people are offering to jump on the feedback bandwagon. I think it's easy and sort of fun to do anyway, and good practice for my analytical listening skills because I can just ask people what they did and if I guessed right. I do emphasize that I'm not the decider (G.W Bush is) & everything I say is the opinion of a (sort of?) educated amateur.

While you're at it mind doing mine? Should note that the structure is pretty rough
https://soundcloud.com/alcoves-2/enddays
I'd love doing yours, where she/he/it at? j/k. I checked this out twice, when I woke up in the morning and when I woke up in the evening after crashing out earlier. It didn't super-like it the first time, but it worked out for me the second time. I don't know if it's mere-exposure effect or my ears being less shit during the night. I think overall the track sounds minimalist, apocalyptic, ominous and kind of cool. But I'll try to get more analytical.

Are you sidechaining the hi-hats in the intro to the kick? Or is the limiter pushing them down? I don't know, but your hi-hats go down in intensity and sort of end up sitting under the kick when it comes in. It sounds sort of cool/intentional so it's not an issue imo unless you think it is. Furthermore I think your structure isn't terrible actually, it's definitely long form and builds slowly and isn't something you'd do in poppier track but it works for the track. The big issue structure wise imo is that things aren't telegraphed all that well, when that roaring synth stab comes in at 1:18 it's almost unannounced and sort of catches you by surprise. It always feels better to me personally when I can predict a change is going to occur in the music I'm listening too.

I think you could find a way to keep the jarring end of days there's a reaper blasting synth music down to the surface of the earth feeling but still announce it. A reaper doesn't just land and blow your shit up, you can see that ominous fucker approaching and then he slowly spools up that red eye laser of death thing. (This analogy makes less sense if you haven't played mass effect) Maybe render it out with a huge 100% reverb and reverse the reverb as a long swell/sweep during the intro? I don't know I'm just spitballing stuff. I agree with foshy on the structure change and removing the section from 2:05 to 3:05 you're essentially just rehashing the intro there but with a high pass on the kick and it's sort of boring. I also think since this is essentially minimalist techno you can get more creative with the mixing and vary and build the volume/panning/filtering of some of the elements more, specifically the flute, because all flute all the time makes flute a very flute boy. Cool track overall though.

Doin good work FD, get that ball rolling. Lets make 2016 the year we all comment on each others tunes fo real. I'm as guilty of posting and running as everyone else but I'm gonna do my bit from now one.
I'd hold you to it but I'm not that much of an ass, I expect you to hold yourself to it. Also post more tracks dude, I'm lazy and never remember soundclouds but I remember you having a bunch of awesome stuff with big kicks and fat vowel basses. I want to hear what those crazy ass modular synths sound like.

I really do appreciate this feedback, it's some of the only honest feedback I've gotten in my short time as an amateur producer, and I agree with most of it. In the last year, I took a bit of a hiatus when it came to making stuff, and as a result, I don't feel as good as I did when it came to crafting melodies and counter-melodies and whatnot. A lot of what I'm doing are just proof of concept pieces to prove that this is something that I can do. (I have to disagree with you on Silhouette, that one is a personal favorite of mine!)
I know right, who knew that getting people to actually listen/respond to your shit was this hard. I'm trying to change the world one track review at a time in 2016 though. I've also taken my share of hiatuses when it comes to producing music too, in fact most of my production career is one long hiatus stemming from self confidence issues. So I totally understand what you mean with trying to prove to yourself that you're not insane and chasing fairies or something. But I think the most important aspect of music production is actually producing music and enjoying yourself with it so keep going dude! The thing I sort of prop myself up with is that producing music is a journey not a destination, there's no track that everyone likes, there's no perfection to be had so just have fun and do it man. And I think it's cool silhouette is one of your favourites. Not everyone likes the same thing and so much in music is about culture, exposure, and just overall variation.

Haha, i know what you mean. Both parts were originally separate tracks, in a different key. But they both tell a different part of the same story for me (to me it's literally a mental and emotional road movie). The title and talkbox lyrics are very symbolic (to me, personally). By the way, only the sequenced bassline, the sequenced phased synth that gets stacked on top of it, and the talkbox are analog. All the rest isn't. The other track i posted earlier, has much more analog stuff (including the beat section) in there.

As for the jarring part, like i explained, it's the way it has to be. I also think it's what keeps the track interesting.
I'm happy I correctly guess worked my way into accurately judging a key change :D. I've messed around with them a lot myself but haven't gotten them to work at all. I'm never bold enough to just do it by assertion and I'm not theoretically gifted enough to write one that doesn't sound like cheeseball city. Again feel free to disagree, it's your music not mine and it should reflect you.

thanks! :D yeah i'm still looking for the perfect 808 sound. after a bit of tinkering i ended up just using the Trap Bass preset from Logic heavily sidechained to the kick and it sounds good enough buuut could be better I guess. good call on the release time, i was going for a soft bass with long attack in the hook but i'll play around with it a bit for other tracks.

First off I love the overall vibe of the song and the instruments you picked are great, so big up from me. As you said I feel like the de-essing is a bit weird and unnatural when you start listening closely, I can't unhear "she has diamondthh in her eyethh" lol.

Also personal opinion but maybe try lowering the gain on the pulsating bass from 0:38 onward just a liiiiittle bit? It sounds fine at low volume but I felt like it was slightly overpowering when I turned up. Might be my setup but it's probably worth experimenting how your complete mix sounds on different volume levels.

(btw your won't go for more bootleg is godlike, i listen to that regularly haha)
If you've got massive I've got some homemade 808's I'd be willing to dropbox, they're not omg amazeballs but you can mess around with them if you'd want. I'm not going to lie though I rarely use an actual synth for my 808's now though, I tend to just go sampled all the way. If you want samples the ones I currently really really like after ignoring them for a year or more since purchasing are these: http://www.theproducerschoice.com/products/urban-808-kontakt-library. I recently made this (for my Danger Diamond urban/future/bass music alter ego which is going to be a thing soon) after re-discovering them and I think it's the most knockin 808 I ever had on a track :D. I barely touched it mixing wise too, it just goes hard out of the box.

Thanks for the ups on the synths, and yep I can't unhear it either drives me crazy. My awesome girlfriend has really sharp S's and a thick dutch accent so I have to coach her but I don't want to make it an unpleasant experience for her so I'm just going to work on my de-essing technique when I do the full track. I agree the mix gets a bit overblown in the midrange on that bass when you turn it up, I'm going to have to science the shit out of it but I don't know very much science so it might end up blowing up in my face.

I think that bootleg is funny, I sat on it for 6 months petrified everyone would be like this is shit! You suck asshole. I wanted to do a better mix too but I just sort of tossed it up there on a night where I felt saucy and the responses I've seen have been quite positive. That being said now I'm afraid to post anything that's not private because people might be like man I was wrong about your shit, you suck asshole. I've legit got enough dance bootlegs I'm sitting on at this point to release a full length bootleg album. Thanks for liking and listening though!

Depends on how many I'm trying to sync. I used to use an 8x8 Motu MIDI Express to keep all my synths clocked to the DAW:
But these days if I'm just using one or two synths I'll just go straight from my PC to the synth with USB and clock it that way and sometimes I don't even bother with that, I play my Werkstatt in live with no sync and just chop the audio.
Your setup is gorgeous dude. Are you looking for a wife/husband/whatever? Because I'd like to put my name in the hat. It'd have to be an a-sexual thing but I believe it could benefit us both(mostly me).

Where do you guys/do you know of any reputable 3Rd party sites to buy plug-ins/software from besides the developers?

I'm not American so I don't really know. But I have seen people link to musicians friend a lot. I don't know why you wouldn't just buy straight from the developer however since it's usually cheaper than a boxed copy. It's especially cheaper if you just subscribe to their mailing list and wait for them to do christmas/summer sales. I don't know if there's a 3rd party reseller of digital vsts but I doubt it. The only one I know of is Steam since they sell some cakewalk stuff but the offering is severely limited and the only thing I'd recommend is a discounted copy of z3ta+2.

Top Bottom