• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

kejigoto

Banned
Also, to contribute to the ranger discussion, one issue with them is that you won't learn how the monsters work properly if you gun your way through the early difficulties which means you'll be ill-equipped to dodge them in the higher levels where it really matters. As Kejigoto mentions, the monsters get a heck of a lot faster further into the game so you'll need to learn to deal with them in close quarters even if you're using range :p

Really good point on learning habits and behaviors. Enemy tells are huge one you get off normal mode and once you get up to ultimate getting hit can be a one hit k.o.

Still my biggest complaint is the lack of magic. I know it has gotten stricter as time has gone on and if I remember correctly ranged is very gimped in the healing department.

I used to play HUcast back in the day, biggest mistake ever as not having magic outside of normal meant soloing was almost impossible.

K.Sabot

I will give 2 digrinders and a monogrinder to the person who will help me trade a mag to my other Ranger with the correct section ID so I can get this mag evolved right.

i still remember some of the nuances of the game and how they affect your survivalist:

-learning to stagger enemies by timing your hits so that they don't recover before your recovery frames are done and you get hit

-melee: learning how to combo an enemy with a fierce at the end of the combo, backing away a tad to make the enemy miss with its retaliation, and then starting the combo again :D

-ranger: shooting boxes from afar just means the melees get to the items faster than you :p

-force: getting to Ult with a lvl 60+ FOnewm is da bess

-mags: when possible, your starter mag is going to be your training mag!

-GETTING A LOT OF DEFENSE CAN BE DETETRIMENTAL

if an enemy hits you and does a lot of damage, you get knocked down to the floor. if you have enough defense, you only take a regular hit. this can result in 2 hit KOs because you are open to a 2nd attack for a kill, whereas if you get dropped on your ass you get invincibility frames to run away and survive. helpful for multihit attacks

K.Sabot

The way I did mag training was I got one for getting to ultimate while making a properly built one for when I hit ultimate.

Foxix Von

I will give 2 digrinders and a monogrinder to the person who will help me trade a mag to my other Ranger with the correct section ID so I can get this mag evolved right.
Can't you just make a ranger with the correct section ID and then just use the shared bank function to transfer it over?

K.Sabot

Can't you just make a ranger with the correct section ID and then just use the shared bank function to transfer it over?

I haven't checked if that works yet honestly.

The last server I played (not SCHT) didn't have the function working.

lemme check it real quick...

edit: the shared bank lady hasn't shown up for me once since I started playing and it hasn't changed yet.

Par Score

edit: the shared bank lady hasn't shown up for me once since I started playing and it hasn't changed yet.

Press space then type /bank and hit enter. At the right of the screen it should say Bank: Common. Now when you go to the regular bank you are in an account wide bank.

This resets itself every time you log in, or you can /bank again to set it back to single character banking.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
i still remember some of the nuances of the game and how they affect your survivalist:

-learning to stagger enemies by timing your hits so that they don't recover before your recovery frames are done and you get hit

-melee: learning how to combo an enemy with a fierce at the end of the combo, backing away a tad to make the enemy miss with its retaliation, and then starting the combo again :D

-ranger: shooting boxes from afar just means the melees get to the items faster than you :p

-force: getting to Ult with a lvl 60+ FOnewm is da bess

-mags: when possible, your starter mag is going to be your training mag!

-GETTING A LOT OF DEFENSE CAN BE DETETRIMENTAL

if an enemy hits you and does a lot of damage, you get knocked down to the floor. if you have enough defense, you only take a regular hit. this can result in 2 hit KOs because you are open to a 2nd attack for a kill, whereas if you get dropped on your ass you get invincibility frames to run away and survive. helpful for multihit attacks

Defense is pretty worthless since this is a game where you actively avoid damage to increase efficiency. That said, Def limits should be investigated for bosses so you don't die in one hit (Vol Opt prison attack).

So ive got the client downloaded and the registry keys installed, but when I open launcher.exe I can click on everything except start game. The button highlights and every other menu item I can interact with correspondingly but start game just does not do anything. On Win7x64 here.

Foxix Von

So ive got the client downloaded and the registry keys installed, but when I open launcher.exe I can click on everything except start game. The button highlights and every other menu item I can interact with correspondingly but start game just does not do anything. On Win7x64 here.
Really dumb question, but have you actually logged into the server?

kejigoto

Banned

Launch with the online.exe and it should work just fine. I had the same issue.

Gah!!! my mag is ruined :s

Not sure how but it looks like it got rolled back a bit from last time I logged in. I didn't even notice so I just kept feeding it on the current plan before realising it'd lost about 10 dex and stuff -.-

Oh well... back to the drawing board. One thing I found out is that it seems dimates now unlock in the shops at level 20

Conezays

Gah!!! my mag is ruined :s

Not sure how but it looks like it got rolled back a bit from last time I logged in. I didn't even notice so I just kept feeding it on the current plan before realising it'd lost about 10 dex and stuff -.-

Oh well... back to the drawing board. One thing I found out is that it seems dimates now unlock in the shops at level 20

Yeah, that was a bummer!

Anyone want to run Ruins? Join "Coneh."

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
OK I thought the quest was missing in the server but it just seems untranslated....so anyone up for helping me test a Quest reward? Just know that we will be going through mines IIRC.

Zomba13

Thanks to the guys that hopped in and played with me. I'm Zumba (also Zomba and Zombro). I did manage to beat that dragon btw.

Lucumo

Failed the ruins boss hard again (dcing during that is almost gg). Haven't even tried this one on normal yet. Should maybe do that to get some sense of accomplisment after probably defeating him.

Also hit level 50, yay. Very hard mode is...rather hard.

Fugu

I'm loving this game. I busted out laughing when we all got immediately one shotted by the caves boss. That was great.
De Rol Le (caves boss) is something of a famous hurdle in PSO. He's ridiculously difficult compared to the dragon and requires you to actually know what to do and work as a group. He also has a bit of a gear check move, although it isn't *too* bad (the final boss has one that is much more serious).

I'd say he's harder than the boss after him in every respect, in that many characters are probably capable of killing the mines boss before they are capable of killing De Rol Le.

BasicMath

I really want to do some ep2 cmode. Been wanting to run it for around a year but pretty much every unofficial server was stacked with s-ranks and nobody bothered with it. Hopefully some of you stick around for it eventually.

Kadin

Special shout out to Erana, Chucker and HU-Colin for sticking to Caves and downing Del Rol in a quick 2nd phase. Apparently the 4 switches CAN stop progress unless you're playing in 1-person mode? Seems that's the case and I never knew that...

Lucumo

Special shout out to Erana, Chucker and HU-Colin for sticking to Caves and downing Del Rol in a quick 2nd phase. Apparently the 4 switches CAN stop progress unless you're playing in 1-person mode? Seems that's the case and I never knew that...

It shouldn't. I was alone in 4p rooms and still managed to complete everything all the time.

Foxix Von

Only problem I seem to have now is some intermittent stuttering. Not really sure what's causing it. Hmm. It's not slowdown, it just sort of hangs on to a couple frames longer than it should for some reason.

Thought it could be crossfire, but even disabling that doesn't really seem to do much good.

thedan001

Blarg

I dont like doing the quests to unlock soul eater and the NPC to convert body parts so I wasn't planning to do it

Then a Booma's right claw drops

I gotta do the whole story questline to convert this thing, don't I?

/sadpanda

On that note, I'm farming dragon in TTF hard mode so I've had few Musashi drops :D

Sojiro

Bah, server went down just as we get a full group :(.

Edit* Guess not down..just booted me off and couldn't initially get back on.

Kadin

It shouldn't. I was alone in 4p rooms and still managed to complete everything all the time.
That's what I thought. We must have missed something but we finally had to unlock a 4-switch door to progress to Del Rol. Not sure what was going on...

And just got disconnected. Thanks for the run guys.

Indignate

Servers crash.

Get back on and Chucker is sitting in the lobby.

Fact.

Edit: Tried to join Chucker's party, game crashes. Fact.

LegatoB

It's fun playing this game again after like, ten years. I've basically forgotten everything except the bare minimum. It's a much more relaxing chill-out loot game than some of the newer games in the genre.

Top Bottom