• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

Made a ReShade profile. A bit more color, contrast, SMAA, and of course what may or may not be too much bloom for a given person. I'd like to use the AO too but it takes my little 5850 down to 20 fps.

small before/after gallery

88p5JQY.jpg

pyYAt7A.jpg

I'm not sure the best way to distribute ReShade settings since they can span several files. I guess just unzip ReShade 1.0 to your NeoPSO folder, rename ReShade32.dll to d3d8.dll, delete ReShade64.dll and Mediator.exe if you like, go into the ReShade folder, and replace the contents of GemFX.cfg and SweetFX.cfg with this (GemFX) and this (SweetFX).

Press Scrolllock to toggle it on or off; you can choose other keys in common.cfg. If you enable the AO in McFX.cfg AO_METHOD = 3 looks best by far. Test in the forest to check if the trees get screwed.

Is everything up and running right now? I can get as far as the character select screen then when I try to load into the game I just get a black screen at the end while the loading screen sound loops in the background. Windows 10 if it matters.

N.A

Banned
Is everything up and running right now? I can get as far as the character select screen then when I try to load into the game I just get a black screen at the end while the loading screen sound loops in the background. Windows 10 if it matters.

Everything is up. If you are using fullscreen switch to windowed (there is a guide in the OP to setup borderless windowed (fake fullscreen).

JackelZXA

Someone needs to please explain this to me. What does EFR, EIC, ETH, EDK, ELT mean? I want to switch armors but have no idea what is considered "good" when looking at these stats. Lol

Resistence against the 5 spell types. Fire, Ice, Thunder, Dark, Light, in that order. EIC and ETH help you resist being frozen and shocked, and EDK helps you resist instant death, but you REALLY need to get those numbers up for it.

Par Score

Not sure if this is a known issue, or a bug, but the Trade Window doesn't seem to work. Requests can be sent, but never seem to be received.

Now this isn't really a problem since we're all trustworthy here, and can just drop stuff to be picked up, except we also ran into some weird desync where we couldn't see each others dropped items.

Sorry this report isn't more helpful, I wonder if anyone else is seeing the same thing?

N.A

Banned
Not sure if this is a known issue, or a bug, but the Trade Window doesn't seem to work. Requests can be sent, but never seem to be received.

Now this isn't really a problem since we're all trustworthy here, and can just drop stuff to be picked up, except we also ran into some weird desync where we couldn't see each others dropped items.

Sorry this report isn't more helpful, I wonder if anyone else is seeing the same thing?

Known issue. Will be fixed in the next server software update along with the bank desyncs and some team features.

I had the issue with someone in my party dropping me some mates, I was just stood there waiting not realizing they had already been dropped, I just couldn't see them lol

Gah!!! my mag is ruined :s

Not sure how but it looks like it got rolled back a bit from last time I logged in. I didn't even notice so I just kept feeding it on the current plan before realising it'd lost about 10 dex and stuff -.-
I remember this sort of bug. IIRC client and server values for mag feeding can be different so what you think it happening is not what is happening on the server.

Happened to me when I was mass feeding mags. In my case I was able to salvage them but ended up with 6def / 44 dex* Sato. I never mass fed mags again. That was a long time ago.

*-For anyone not in the know. You don't want def on a mag. While dex is 0.5 ATA for mag level (the idea in BB is you want to equip a V101 which has 1.5 ATA so the 0.5 fromt he mag gets used), def is one point per level and if you are doing that instead of pow and mind (2 per level) you are making your character worse (plus def has use limits).

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
OK N.A this became an aperant issue yesterday while I was trying to test some Quest Rewards but can't you unlock all *Quest for us?
*Main Story Quests
*Government Quests
*Side Story Quests

Because going through them 1 by one to unlock the next one just like I did on GameCube is a real pain not to mention that there's no guarantee that the server will permanently save the server Quests flags forever and all of our hard work of Unlocking those Quests manually would be wasted if those Quests flags reset.

I know this is possible somehow because that's how it was on SCHTHACK.

Jackano

OK N.A this became an aperant issue yesterday while I was trying to test some Quest Rewards but can't you unlock all *Quest for us?
*Main Story Quests
*Government Quests
*Side Story Quests

Because going through them 1 by one to unlock the next one just like I did on GameCube is a real pain not to mention that there's no guarantee that the server will permanently save the server Quests flags forever and all of our hard work of Unlocking those Quests manually would be wasted if those Quests flags reset.

I'm not sure as it takes away some work/nostalgia, but yeah I'm currently redoing them just to be able to check my good old friend Montague :D

Zomba13

OK so I decided to dig out the old OG Xbox and pop in PSO and load up single player to see my old character. Seto the 72 FOnewm. I actually had a shit ton of hacked stuff on both that guy and a lower level HUmar which I got from a guy that joined once and just started dropping them (shit like black king bar +80, a bunch of cool weapons, Dreamcast MAG etc) and messed about with them for a bit. I forgot to check my bank and see what was in there.

Onto NeoPSO questions. What do I feed my MAG? I can't remember what I feed it if I want it to be a certain way. What do I feed it for a Force? What do I feed it for a Ranger? What do I feed it for a Hunter?

What's the best way to find gear? I loaded up one of the event quests form the quest lady thing (it was the last one in the list, all text was JP and it took me to Cave 2 I think) and I got a lot of cool (for a low level) ???? guns and canes and they are ok for me but I feel that was a little "cheaty"?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm not sure as it takes away some work/nostalgia, but yeah I'm currently redoing them just to be able to check my good old friend Montague :D
Forget nostalgia my main concern that it's possible for the server to have a hiccup and reset the Quests flags (the server acknowledging and saving your progress) throwing your efforts down the drain because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to unlock Montague a 3rd or 4th time after you had already unlocked him if the server decides to sporadically reset your Quest flags.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK so I decided to dig out the old OG Xbox and pop in PSO and load up single player to see my old character. Seto the 72 FOnewm. I actually had a shit ton of hacked stuff on both that guy and a lower level HUmar which I got from a guy that joined once and just started dropping them (shit like black king bar +80, a bunch of cool weapons, Dreamcast MAG etc) and messed about with them for a bit. I forgot to check my bank and see what was in there.

Onto NeoPSO questions. What do I feed my MAG? I can't remember what I feed it if I want it to be a certain way. What do I feed it for a Force? What do I feed it for a Ranger? What do I feed it for a Hunter?

What's the best way to find gear? I loaded up one of the event quests form the quest lady thing (it was the last one in the list, all text was JP and it took me to Cave 2 I think) and I got a lot of cool (for a low level) ???? guns and canes and they are ok for me but I feel that was a little "cheaty"?

Mag feeding charts - you build the mag how you want. DEF is traditionally not stacked on any Mag, as def mats and units can make up for the deficit if you are going for all yellow stats. ATP for HU/RA, MIND for FO.

As for finding gear? You won't find much of value until you hit VHard and Ult. Those ??? items are simply basic gear with bonus modifiers (elemental, HP drain, TP drain, paralyze, etc). There are no quests that have a better chance to drop certain things, but simply have more of one enemy (so increased chances of a given item). Basic stuff will be found as you progress deeper into the main areas. Typically, Ruins on the previous difficulty will drop similar gear to Forest on the next difficulty up. I don't remember how to gauge Ep2 and 4 drops, but Ep1 is easy like that.

Ruins is also more difficult on Normal than Forest on Hard is. The XP is also better on H Forest. Once you can run VH Forest, it's not really worth doing H Ruins, either. Ruins is MOSTLY done later on in the game for gear farming. There's almost no reason to run it otherwise. Forest and Mines are the best two places for XP IMHO. Not counting Ep2 and 4 (Ep4 has one of the best XP quests in the game next to TTF if I remember right, but it's a super tough quest).

For example - when I am going to start farming Handgun:Milla, I will run Lost Heat Sword quest (once it's added) until my brain melts (only F1, not bother with F2). Why? Because it has 43 Tallows in the whole route, and 11 in the first room alone. F2 has 15 more Tallows, but it takes a lot longer.

However, I can just run F1, F2, Dragon from the teleporter and have just as good a chance at getting a drop from a Tallow. The zone you're in has the same drop rate no mater what.

Another example - A Hidelt in VR Temple (Ep2) has a different drop than a Hidelt in Forest (Ep1). Drop rates are based on zone AND enemy.

Hope that sort of clears it up.

N.A

Banned
You can now post bug/crash reports here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5GNTS5W

This will allow me to see patterns in the bugs/crashes and inform the developers.

*Main Story Quests
*Government Quests
*Side Story Quests

If we start getting issues with the quest flags resetting I'll look into it.

Par Score

Mag feeding charts - you build the mag how you want. DEF is traditionally not stacked on any Mag, as def mats and units can make up for the deficit if you are going for all yellow stats. ATP for HU/RA, MIND for FO.

In addition to Nicoga's excellent advice, There are special Mags you can get depending on your class and Section ID if you feed them right and get them to lvl 100.

To keep things the most simple, and not fall down a total rabbit hole of super Mag optimisation:

If you're a HU, feed your mag *mates.
If you're a RA, feed your mag anti*s.
If you're a FO, feed your mag *fluids.

Zomba13

As for finding gear? You won't find much of value until you hit VHard and Ult. Those ??? items are simply basic gear with bonus modifiers (elemental, HP drain, TP drain, paralyze, etc). There are no quests that have a better chance to drop certain things, but simply have more of one enemy (so increased chances of a given item). Basic stuff will be found as you progress deeper into the main areas. Typically, Ruins on the previous difficulty will drop similar gear to Forest on the next difficulty up. I don't remember how to gauge Ep2 and 4 drops, but Ep1 is easy like that.

Ruins is also more difficult on Normal than Forest on Hard is. The XP is also better on H Forest. Once you can run VH Forest, it's not really worth doing H Ruins, either. Ruins is MOSTLY done later on in the game for gear farming. There's almost no reason to run it otherwise. Forest and Mines are the best two places for XP IMHO. Not counting Ep2 and 4 (Ep4 has one of the best XP quests in the game next to TTF if I remember right, but it's a super tough quest).

For example - when I am going to start farming Handgun:Milla, I will run Lost Heat Sword quest (once it's added) until my brain melts (only F1, not bother with F2). Why? Because it has 43 Tallows in the whole route, and 11 in the first room alone. F2 has 15 more Tallows, but it takes a lot longer.

However, I can just run F1, F2, Dragon from the teleporter and have just as good a chance at getting a drop from a Tallow. The zone you're in has the same drop rate no mater what.

Another example - A Hidelt in VR Temple (Ep2) has a different drop than a Hidelt in Forest (Ep1). Drop rates are based on zone AND enemy.

Hope that sort of clears it up.

Thanks. That does help :D

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I got a chance to play some of this yesterday, man what a nostalgia rush!!!! The second the opening screen popped up and the music started a huge smile washed across my face. I made a hunter and a ranger and got them both up a few levels while just messing about and re-familiarizing myself with the game and interface. Some parts of the interface are new to me, must be stuff added in later versions after the DC days.

Can't wait to play some more tonight, I think I'm sticking with a RAcast for now. I've always loved playing ranger androids in PSO for some reason.

Xion_Stellar

If we start getting issues with the quest flags resetting I'll look into it.
Fair enough I will give the server a chance before I assume the worst so I guess I know what I'm working on today.

BTW that list is going just fine so far but I'm done with it so I'm hoping it will be completely done by Friday at the latest.

Lucumo

Do items go above 10 stars? Like the early rares are 9 stars and I just found one (Yamato) that has 10. The last star is green though.

Also, what to do with Booma's right arm? Apparently you can convert it to a weapon? Is it worth it?

Zelias

Banned
Cool to see people playing and enjoying PSO. Not sure I'll play myself as I think I played enough PSO1 for one lifetime, but, good hunting peeps.

Do items go above 10 stars? Like the early rares are 9 stars and I just found one (Yamato) that has 10. The last star is green though.

Also, what to do with Booma's right arm? Apparently you can convert it to a weapon? Is it worth it?
In PSO1, items go up to 12 stars.

And yes you can convert Booma's Right Arm to Booma Claw, though the process to convert monster parts to weapons involves a few sidequests (can't remember exactly which ones). Booma Claw is kinda pants but there are a few weapons that are more worth it.

Par Score

Items can get up to 13 stars (I think, maybe only 12?).

"Enemy Parts" can be converted into weapons, but I forget all of the details, so I can't vouch for the contents of this guide, or say whether it's worth the hassle.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks. That does help :D

Glad to help - if you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Regarding ??? items, there are some that are amazing later on. When someone lists an item, they'll sometimes do it like this:

Saber 10/0/10/0 - this means it's a saber with 10% Native and 10% Machine. These are those bonus stats on the item that increase damage against a certain enemy type.

Sometimes, you'll see a 5th stat listed:

Rifle 0/0/0/10/20 - this is a rifle with 10% dark and 20% hit. Hit is a "hidden" bonus that can start showing up later. It increases the ATA of a weapon by whatever that percentage is (in non-percent form). So a 20% hit rifle would be +20 ATA. That's a HUGE boost.

Where is this a big deal?

On a lot of weapons, it's really not. But on mechguns, slicers, and shots? It can be HUGE. Some guns to watch for:

Charge Vulcan x/x/x/x/50+ - charge type weapons use meseta to do (I think) double damage. Since meseta gets really easy to get later, it's super awesome for fast boss kills. Also, with 50+ hit on a pair of machine guns, you'll be landing hits left and right for mad fast damage.

King Vulcan/Diska/Arms x/x/x/x/50+ - 50 hit is pretty much amazing on any weapon, but guns with multiple bullets/low base ATA always benefit more than anything else. The King attribute steals 12% of the enemy XP. On Ult, you can use this on certain groups of enemies for a nice boost to your XP gain. Quick example of how profitable this can be:

On Ult Forest, a Gigobooma/Tallow gives you 268 XP. On this server, that's 536 XP. With a King weapon, every hit would give you 64 bonus XP. If you've got a group of 3 Tallows, that's 192 bonus XP per hit. If it takes (on the LOW end) 3 special hits to kill that group of 3 enemies, that's 3*(3*192) + 3*(536) = 3336 XP for one group of 3 enemies (compared to 1608 base). King weapons can be mad profit on large groups of enemies. You won't start seeing them until much later, but definitely keep your eyes peeled.

I don't play a lot of HU, but I can say that if you do and use Slicers or Daggers, hit stat would also be a HUGE plus. I don't know how useful it is on swords, partisans, etc.

Lucumo

In PSO1, items go up to 12 stars.

And yes you can convert Booma's Right Arm to Booma Claw, though the process to convert monster parts to weapons involves a few sidequests (can't remember exactly which ones). Booma Claw is kinda pants but there are a few weapons that are more worth it.

Ah, ok. Claw? That would be kinda useless for my ranger.

Items can get up to 13 stars (I think, maybe only 12?).

"Enemy Parts" can be converted into weapons, but I forget all of the details, so I can't vouch for the contents of this guide, or say whether it's worth the hassle.
Thanks.

(Darn, always sold all my charge weapons. Should have paid more attention I guess.)

Lutherian

Can't start : after creating my character / loading my character, the game start connecting and... black screen of nothing.

Par Score

I don't play a lot of HU, but I can say that if you do and use Slicers or Daggers, hit stat would also be a HUGE plus. I don't know how useful it is on swords, partisans, etc.

Very useful on Partisans (as well as Daggers and Slicers that you already mentioned).

what's the point in equipping techniques if you only have the bare magic stat to use them? They all seem useless as a ranger.
Milky mentioned an example but for more details...
* Pan-arms take extremely little physical damage while joined but still take normal damage from techs
* Dark-gunners are immune to physical while glowing but can be hit by techs
* Gizonde and Razonde are great for hitting everything when you're trying to level (you get most of the xp for a creature for hitting it once, there's a small bonus for getting the killing blow)
* Zonde lets you clear 'sticky' mines that appear above your head which you normally can't shoot yourself
* Resta lets you use your TP to heal rather than consuming precious mates and at level 3+ it also heals allies near you.
* Anti cures a couple of conditions and at the very least gets rid of poison
* Ryuker = you never need to carry telepipes again :D
* It might've changed in BB, but in previous games Shifta was practically mandatory when you first hit Ultimate and especially ruins because otherwise you'd be struggling to beat the enemy's damage threshold (aka you'll do zero damage or single digits) :p

* It might've changed in BB, but in previous games Shifta was practically mandatory when you first hit Ultimate and especially ruins because otherwise you'd be struggling to beat the enemy's damage threshold (aka you'll do zero damage or single digits) :p

Ultimate mode was significantly nerfed once they reached the GCN/Xbox versions

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Milky mentioned an example but for more details...
* Pan-arms take extremely little physical damage while joined but still take normal damage from techs
* Dark-gunners are immune to physical while glowing but can be hit by techs
* Gizonde and Razonde are great for hitting everything when you're trying to level (you get most of the xp for a creature for hitting it once, there's a small bonus for getting the killing blow)
* Zonde lets you clear 'sticky' mines that appear above your head which you normally can't shoot yourself
* Resta lets you use your TP to heal rather than consuming precious mates and at level 3+ it also heals allies near you.
* Anti cures a couple of conditions and at the very least gets rid of poison
* Ryuker = you never need to carry telepipes again :D

Good info.

Also worth noting, these monsters with invul periods can be damaged by elements on weapons, too. Example - Pan Arms can be damaged with fire/ice/lightning bullets. So if you play casts like me, you don't need to worry about lack of techs.

Ultimate mode was significantly nerfed once they reached the GCN/Xbox versions

Yup - DCv1 days were FUCKED on Ult. Weapons were crazy powerful and enemies were noooooo joke. v2 was a pretty tremendous overhaul of end game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ultimate was only added in v2. v1 endgame was Very Hard.

Sorry - I always say DCv1 when I mean everything before v3 (GC/Xbox era and on).

E: But my comment still stands with an errata. As an example, Red Slicer in v1/v2 days had a base ATP of 560. In v3+, that was adjusted to 190. There was a pretty huge rebalance that happened. I'd actually love to read about how that whole thing went down if there's any good articles on the transition period the game went through.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
What's the general recommended level range for each difficulty? I'm Lv. 25 right now and feel like I'm probably okay for Hard Forest.

Also when's a good time to start playing Ep. 2?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What's the general recommended level range for each difficulty? I'm Lv. 25 right now and feel like I'm probably okay for Hard Forest.

Also when's a good time to start playing Ep. 2?

This should be a good help. But ignore the Ult stuff. You really want to be 80+ for ult.

Also these are guidelines. If you have a stacked mag, you can probably do things earlier. If you are scraping by in Mines, you don't want to bother with Ruins. If Hard Forest is taking you forever, stick to Normal Mines.

For the record, I usually jump into H Forest ASAP as the XP gain is a HUGE boost over Normal anything.

Stalk

to RAmar, actual name: Was fun! Thanks for running with me and my partner (who had never played the game before), she was frantically screaming and confused on voice chat haha. Having to teach her the timings on weapons and how to stagger stuff. Shame we couldn't get De Rol Le, was funny to watch a full wipe though on the explosions haha.

Eoyote

Neo Member
to RAmar, actual name: Was fun! Thanks for running with me and my partner (who had never played the game before), she was frantically screaming and confused on voice chat haha. Having to teach her the timings on weapons and how to stagger stuff. Shame we couldn't get De Rol Le, was funny to watch a full wipe though on the explosions haha.

Yeah, was a great time. I figured your friend was new to the game. I was doing my best to try and keep some of the enemies off of her. I hope she at least enjoyed the game somewhat, lol. I've actually never seen those little spikes kill an entire group before!

Jackano

Actually it may not be entirely accurate and I found out a weird result of the x2 XP. Don't get me wrong I'm all for it! It's just I'm now lv.22, good enough for hard but the gear and gun I have are still behind. Interesting to notice lol

Sidenote: I though for years of what could be a remaster of PSO. XP rebalancing and such. Oh and "true" ultimate mode in ep.2&4. That sort of stuff.

Stalk

Yeah, was a great time. I figured your friend was new to the game. I was doing my best to try and keep some of the enemies off of her. I hope she at least enjoyed the game somewhat, lol. I've actually never seen those little spikes kill an entire group before!

Hah yeah, I was trying to tell her not to run into the centre of groups quite often. Thanks for the patience though :p I had never seen that either, guess more health or more damage would have been a good idea haha. She did enjoy it though.

zewone

I hadn't played this game in over a decade.

So much feels running through the forest and beating the dragon boss.

I got Whitill for my Section ID which looks to be pretty damn good. I had no idea about any of this when I used to play.

Xion_Stellar

I wish I could join you guys. How is the cheating security though?
That question can sound rather nefarious...

Are you asking because you want to avoid playing with cheaters?

Or are you asking because you intent on partaking in such action?

Either way here is N.A's response to that scenario:

I trust the community to be honest so have no intention of disabling anything.

As for the actual security measures? I don't know if there are any in place.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Actually it may not be entirely accurate and I found out a weird result of the x2 XP. Don't get me wrong I'm all for it! It's just I'm now lv.22, good enough for hard but the gear and gun I have are still behind. Interesting to notice lol

Sidenote: I though for years of what could be a remaster of PSO. XP rebalancing and such. Oh and "true" ultimate mode in ep.2&4. That sort of stuff.

You'll still find going into Hard Forest the better choice over Ruins. Example using Offlinse stats:

Forest Hard Booma
HP = 386
ATP = 362
DEF = 83
XP = 84

Ruins Normal Dimenian
HP = 270
ATP = 280
DEF = 70
XP = 44

The Booma is only slightly harder to kill for double the reward. On top of that, you can burn through Forest runs quick. AND, toss in the fact that drops on Hard Forest are about the same as Normal Ruins, and you'll be up to par relatively quick.

My normal course of action when leveling early game:

Normal Forest until ~12 -> Normal Mines ~20 -> Hard Forest

If I'm with a group, I'll run Ruins for fun, but it's never efficient leveling. Yes, you can get decent drops to lead you into Hard, but Forest is just so easy overall compared to the shit you run into in the Ruins. Delsaber, Belra, Chaos Sorcerer...Those 3 enemies alone make it worth your while to avoid Ruins unless you want to run for completeness or are hunting on VHard/Ult.

This is of course my personal opinion. You can do whatever you want take it however you want...But after thousands of hours of PSO, I've found that this is the most efficient and optimal way for me to play. Once I hit Ult, my grinding slows a LOT and I start hunting specific items and running shit with friends because solo Ult Mines/Ruins = hard until much later on.

Kadin

Has anyone run into any problems with the Windowed Borderless program? Just booted into the game like normal but wasn't able to alt+tab like I was able to prior. Nothing changed with the program between today and yesterday. I did a ctrl+alt+del just to see if my keyboard was properly responding and when I went back to the game, some weird notification box popped up with a bunch of foreign text (not Japanese) and an okay button. It prevented me from doing anything and when it was clicked, it killed the game.

Hopefully a one off occurrence but just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this.

edit: I'll cap the notification box if it happens again.

Crytis

Neo Member
My normal course of action when leveling early game:

Normal Forest until ~12 -> Normal Mines ~20 -> Hard Forest

This is good to know for those of us who have played this game for years. Though if you're new to the game I'd take my time with it and run through all the levels.

If I'm with a group, I'll run Ruins for fun, but it's never efficient leveling. Yes, you can get decent drops to lead you into Hard, but Forest is just so easy overall compared to the shit you run into in the Ruins. Delsaber, Belra, Chaos Sorcerer...Those 3 enemies alone make it worth your while to avoid Ruins unless you want to run for completeness or are hunting on VHard/Ult.

This is of course my personal opinion. You can do whatever you want take it however you want...But after thousands of hours of PSO, I've found that this is the most efficient and optimal way for me to play. Once I hit Ult, my grinding slows a LOT and I start hunting specific items and running shit with friends because solo Ult Mines/Ruins = hard until much later on.

This makes a lot of sense. The chances of getting any rares in normal ruins is practically nonexistent so jumping directly into hard for at least some potential red box action is probably a much better idea (in addition to the above). Might go that route this time instead of "enjoying" my time through normal caves and ruins.

Top Bottom