• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This is good to know for those of us who have played this game for years. Though if you're new to the game I'd take my time with it and run through all the levels.

Yeah, I strongly urge new players to play ALL the levels. Caves suck, but Caves 3 is really beautiful. Ruins is also awesome visually (especially Ruins 3 and the waterfall room on Ruins 1).

I ALSO suggest everyone explore Ep2. All of those levels are gorgeous. Ep4 is kinda blah, but cool to run.

The only reason I have my sort of "method" is because I've played SO much PSO that I do what I can to move through content ASAP. Also, running the quests in the Caves sucked infinite ass because of how long it takes to get to the bottom. However, you can sometimes find the special truck, which is awesome when do you. ;)

This makes a lot of sense. The chances of getting any rares in normal ruins is practically nonexistent so jumping directly into hard for at least some potential red box action is probably a much better idea (in addition to the above). Might go that route this time instead of "enjoying" my time through normal caves and ruins.

Photon Drops are about the only thing you'll get, and even those have a low chance of showing up. You won't start seeing any red boxes of value until VHard. Hard has a few cool things, but they're mostly novelty.

But again, my plans change. If I'm playing a FO, I may stick around on Forest until 14-16 (with 2x XP, Dragon runs are really great for quite some time). It also depends on my current mag and any goodies I've passed down.

Is the server up right now? I just installed it on my work PC but I am getting an error "no903" when I try to log in.

EDIT: I bet it's our office firewall. Grrrr.

WarRock

Played a lot of Phantasy Star Zero and the three entries of Portable, so I'm looking forward in knowing how it all started! The lore does seem very interesting.

Will I be okay if I go HUcast and ignore traps? That's what I did on the other games (well, except Heal Trap in Zero, that was bonkers).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Played a lot of Phantasy Star Zero and the three entries of Portable, so I'm looking forward in knowing how it all started! The lore does seem very interesting.

Will I be okay if I go HUcast and ignore traps? That's what I did on the other games (well, except Heal Trap in Zero, that was bonkers).

Traps in PSO are pretty great. Freeze traps are especially helpful. Not necessary in the least bit, but nice "oh shit" buttons.

I loved Phantasy Star Zero though the limitations of being on the DS somewhat killed it for me. The lack of analogue stick for movement was painful to the extreme plus the technical limitations meant that (at least in the early levels before the much more interesting ruins) the environments are a bit basic/sparse.
What they did with the weapons in PSZ though are a maaaassive improvement over PSO. I especially like that you cast different levels of tech by pressing or holding the tech button. Genius! :p

Played a bunch yesterday, hit level 50. Went through pretty much all of Episode 2 with the same group (Hard mode), but wiped on Olga Flow's second form. That guy...

But great times.

Freeze Trap is absurdly useful since its' freeze rate is pretty much 100%. If you equip a gun, lay the trap, and immediately shoot, you'll actually shoot the trap as its above your head making it a very useful crowd control tool. Or for those moments when you just have an entire group of enemies all forming a nice, sword friendly cluster and want to take advantage of that.

Traps are very useful, gets even better later when your able to use more at once at higher levels.

AFAIK, we just got server first Hard mode TTF:

C1JdWA9.png

VcTgt5P.png

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
My name dropped a letter. Any fix?
Pick a a shorter name?

Besides that I heard something about changing the game font but that's redundant imo because as long as others don't do the same than your name will continue to be displayed a letter short to us IIRC.

Photon Drops are about the only thing you'll get, and even those have a low chance of showing up. You won't start seeing any red boxes of value until VHard. Hard has a few cool things, but they're mostly novelty.

But again, my plans change. If I'm playing a FO, I may stick around on Forest until 14-16 (with 2x XP, Dragon runs are really great for quite some time). It also depends on my current mag and any goodies I've passed down.

Eh, I do enjoy the novelty of finding red boxes, even if it's one of the lame db's sabers. I'm eager to skip normal and blast through hard though, esp since normal is completely unfun after you're used to the higher difficulties.

Lucumo

It'd be great if we could keep a record of "Firsts" for this server somewhere, try and save some history of the place.

I have another screenshot, it's from the 2nd run where everyone was alive in the end (first run two were dead (+ we didn't know we could use magic, made it a lot harder, haha)).

/edit: Never mind, was from the first run, after we revived the others. I noticed it thanks to my healing items (only one left).

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Anyone know how to get this game to run on a high-res 16:9 resolution that scales the hud accordingly like on the post above mine?
Eden Server did something like that and programed it to work exclusively on their server.

I haven't try this yet (but I will once I get home) but you can try this if you like:

http://www.pioneer2.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=77

It might work....or not.

I remember this sort of bug. IIRC client and server values for mag feeding can be different so what you think it happening is not what is happening on the server.

Happened to me when I was mass feeding mags. In my case I was able to salvage them but ended up with 6def / 44 dex* Sato. I never mass fed mags again. That was a long time ago.

*-For anyone not in the know. You don't want def on a mag. While dex is 0.5 ATA for mag level (the idea in BB is you want to equip a V101 which has 1.5 ATA so the 0.5 fromt he mag gets used), def is one point per level and if you are doing that instead of pow and mind (2 per level) you are making your character worse (plus def has use limits).
Gah! I just did it again, this time it looked fine until I got booted and when I logged back in the stats an form were different.
How do I avoid this bug? :eek:

Xion_Stellar

Gah! I just did it again, this time it looked fine until I got booted and when I logged back in the stats an form were different.
Even on SCHTHACK this was a prominent issue that thankfully I didnt have to deal with but it never got fixed.

My only advice is only to only take care of 1 Mag at the time,don't stay in one room no longer than 2 hours,give your self a Milestone so for example if you got 23 Dex on a Mag and want to raise to 30 than simply feed it to 30 and log off and log back in.

N.A

Banned
Anyone know how to get this game to run on a high-res 16:9 resolution that scales the hud accordingly like on the post above mine?

Launch from Launcher.exe, in options choose highres HUD.

Look in the OP for a bordeless windowed guide too.

The next release of the server software is supposed to improve the accuracy of mag feeding: http://www.pioneer2.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=95

Eoyote

Neo Member
Would having a second account allow 2 clients to be run at once so we could trade items to our other characters?

N.A

Banned
Would having a second account allow 2 clients to be run at once so we could trade items to our other characters?

Yes, but just type /bank in a game and you'll access your common bank (bank for all characters on your account).

Even on SCHTHACK this was a prominent issue that thankfully I didnt have to deal with but it never got fixed.

My only advice is only to only take care of 1 Mag at the time,don't stay in one room no longer than 2 hours,give your self a Milestone so for example if you got 23 Dex on a Mag and want to raise to 30 than simply feed it to 30 and log off and log back in.
Well, that's what i was doing, it just looks like the transformation that happens on the very first feed on my way to said milestone didn't happen on the server XD

The next release of the server software is supposed to improve the accuracy of mag feeding: http://www.pioneer2.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=95
Awesome! :D

starmud

so xD was going to try helping some lower level players kill cave boss... but i got d/c'd at the bank. logged back in and everything but the weapon and frame turned corrupt... lol

losing the mag kinda sucks xD and thanks for the free moons, me!

uq1RNefl.png

so xD was going to try helping some lower level players kill cave boss... but i got d/c'd at the bank. logged back in and everything but the weapon and frame turned corrupt... lol

losing the mag kinda sucks xD

uq1RNefl.png

That can happen? Damn. Gotta start depositing my money.

starmud

That can happen? Damn. Gotta start depositing my money.

if i remember once you have the unknown items on you they were trapped in your inventory until a server check on the OG game, on GC you could drop them. here it just dc's me and i cant get rid of them.... so, yikes :p

N.A

Banned

uq1RNefl.png

I'm really sorry about this :( I really can't wait for the new server software to be released so this bug will be fixed. It's been giving me nightmares.

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do without hex editing the items from the database. There is supposedly a tool to fix this coming soon.

What I can offer is if you create a new character and PM your level and any items you want retrieving I will restore them.

One question, did you ever manually sort your inventory?

starmud

I'm really sorry about this :( I really can't wait for the new server software to be released so this bug will be fixed. It's been giving me nightmares.

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do without hex editing the items from the database. There is supposedly a tool to fix this coming soon.

What I can offer is if you create a new character and PM your level and any items you want retrieving I will restore them.

One question, did you ever manually sort your inventory?

think i'll take you up on the offer and make a new force... xD no sorry needed just wanted to share. is there a way to get the mag back? i know the levels may be borked, but just the type of mag?

no manual sort, i always use automatic. when i've tried dropping the items, they all appear in a weapon box.

uq1RNefl.png
Funny that I was reading through the patch notes N.A. just posted and was wondering what the '????' bug they said they'd fixed was just as you posted this. Guess that answers that XD

Daingurse

I just picked up an ice brand +3 that I don't think I will ever be able to use. Is that useful to someone?

Unless it has Hit%, I wouldn't fret over it. It's a common weapon and ability.

Alright, so I've never played this game but it looks fun so I want to try it out. Can anybody help me with something though. I want to use spears, or partisans as I've learned they're called in this game. What's the class that best excels with it? I was looking at the wiki and it looks like it may be a HUcast? Also I was looking at that section ID page to see which one would be the best for a guy wielding a partisan and I couldn't understand anything on it.

HUcast's have the highest Max ATP and ATP growth potential of all classes. Very well suited for melee combat, only thing negative is you'll have to invest in Accuracy, it's a bit meh on a HUcast. I'd recommend the Skly ID for swords, and Bluefull for partisans.

Ezalc

Alright, so I've never played this game but it looks fun so I want to try it out. Can anybody help me with something though. I want to use spears, or partisans as I've learned they're called in this game. What's the class that best excels with it? I was looking at the wiki and it looks like it may be a HUcast? Also I was looking at that section ID page to see which one would be the best for a guy wielding a partisan and I couldn't understand anything on it.

N.A

Banned
think i'll take you up on the offer and make a new force... xD no sorry needed just wanted to share. is there a way to get the mag back? i know the levels may be borked, but just the type of mag?

no manual sort, i always use automatic. when i've tried dropping the items, they all appear in a weapon box.

I guess auto sort can affect it too :(

Yeah I can get you a certain type of mag. Just pm me your new char name and the level, any items you want restored and your mag type and i'll restore them.

Top Bottom