• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, hold up, I'm confused by this thread.

I played literally hundreds of hours of PSO back on the Dreamcast and loved every second of it, I still think about this game a lot, but I never played the online newer PC version due to it being in Japanese and needing some work to get around the region lock and so on. But this thread OP just fills me with questions, like:

1. is this some newer version now?

2. the OP says the client is freely distributed, but how much does it cost to play? Is it a monthly fee?

3. is it in English or do you need to know Japanese?

I'm both dreading and exhilarated by the thought of what the answers to those questions might be.....

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Excited to finally dive into this game. I only know PSO2 and really enjoy it, but people have such a reverence for the original still that I really want to give it a proper shot. Having some familiar company around will definitely motivate me to stick with it.

Thanks for running this joint, N.A!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

I played literally hundreds of hours of PSO back on the Dreamcast and loved every second of it, I still think about this game a lot, but I never played the online newer PC version due to it being in Japanese and needing some work to get around the region lock and so on. But this thread OP just fills me with questions, like:

2. the OP says the client is freely distributed, but how much does it cost to play? Is it a monthly fee?

I'm both dreading and exhilarated by the thought of what the answers to those questions might be.....

1-PSOBB was an official release that DID get an English release (This is PSO Episode 1 & 2 plus Episode 4).

2-Freely distributed by the community who back hack the client when the Official Servers where online and no fee to play.

3-The game is in English.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

1.) Blue Burst was available in English from the get-go, though the official servers have been dead for a very long time. It spans over the original content and two new episodes, which come with their own unique locales, enemies, drop charts, weapons, story arcs, etc. It is the most complete edition of PSO to date.

2.) This is a NeoGAF run server, there are no fees. The game was never available for physical distribution in the states or EU, so there's no copy to 'buy' either. The client was always free to download on SEGA's servers. NeoPSO's client is a slightly modified distribution of Sodaboy's client.

3.) It is completely in english.

Mengy

1-PSOBB was an official release that DID get an English release (This is PSO Episode 1 & 2 plus Episode 4).

2-Freely distributed by the community who back hack the client when the Official Servers where online and no fee to play.

3-The game is in English.

So, let me get this straight, just so I'm absolutely clear on this:

This is a free to play online PSO for the PC? In English? And it's legal??? And it's a server being hosted by a GAF member????!!!!! o_O

Kadin

This is a free to play online PSO for the PC? In English? And it's legal??? And it's a server being hosted by a GAF member????!!!!! o_O
Yup, you got it.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

"Legal" is a strange word in this case but to put your mind at ease SEGA has been aware of these fan made servers for over 7 years and they have acknowledge their existence from time to time but have never made any move towards shutting any of them down.

Yes it's for PC and free to play.

Par Score

Is anybody running this on Windows 10?

I have a few things making me hold back from updating away from 7, so might as well add to that pile if there are any issues.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Yes it's free.

Yes it's in English.

The servers were taken down a long time ago and there is NO way to Pay Sega to play this game anymore. Legal? I don't know. But as I stated - you cannot pay to play this game online in any form. I think PSU servers have been down for a while, too.

Yes, hosted by a GAF member.

Xion_Stellar

Is anybody running this on Windows 10?

I have a few things making me hold back from updating away from 7, so might as well add to that pile if there are any issues.
I ran it on Windows 10 just fine from the get go. Just remember the game gives out false positives so be sure to add the Online.exe,Options.exe,PSOBB.exe and Launcher.exe to your Antivirus Scan and Processing Exception List.

Did someone say we've upped the xp gain?
If that's the case I can see myself just remaking my current characters with names that get them the kind of drops I actually want :p

I've got a lot of stuff to do this week so I don't know how much I'll actually be on, but if anyone new to the game finds me on the servers I'll gladly step them through how it all works as best I can :D

Unless I forgot, anyone who's played with me already should have my guild card so they can find me regardless of what I do with my characters :3

thedan001

Im playing 2 characters

RAcaseal - NEON
FOnewearl - MAGIC

Also, its a good idea to add your neogaf username to your guild card comment, makes it easier to find you on forums

Mengy

Yup, you got it.

982aebe2d39aaf5c291f64f526166066.jpg

I think I just shit myself with excitement.....

Is the server taking donations? Can we give donations? I'm gonna send my PM right fucking now....

clo1_2000

Banned
Okay, I haven't played this since the Dreamcast days and I forgot all my min/max knowledge. What race do I want to pick if I will play a ranger?

Xion_Stellar

Is the server taking donations? Can we give donations? I'm gonna send my PM right fucking now....
That's up to OP and other servers have done it and are still doing "donations" but it's a slippery slope and I blame "Donations" for what happened to SCHTHACK on top of the questionable Management there.

Okay, I haven't played this since the Dreamcast days and I forgot all my min/max knowledge. What race do I want to pick if I will play a ranger?
Anything that starts with RA such as RAcast.

UltraJay

I'd like to join in, but worry that by my being in Australia I'll be playing beside pretty much no one unless they play in the mornings or something.

thedan001

Basically you have 2 options, play as human ranger or an android ranger

human rangers (HUmar and HUmarl) can cast techniques (magic) which includes aoe heal and anti, but they're no good with offensive magic so its not used as much except for annoying enemies

android rangers (RAcast and RAcaseal) generally have a slightly stronger dps over humans since they cannot use techinques and as a bonus, androids can use traps (which in my opinion, is a great addition as a ranger since we rely on ranged positioning)

In short words:
human rangers = class flexibility and higher endurance due to Resta
android rangers = class effectiveness and little better dps

EDIT: I didn't include humans being able to cast Shifta on themselves in terms of dps since the party will benefit from that buff anyways

Kadin

That's up to OP and other servers have done it and are still doing "donations" but it's a slippery slope and I blame "Donations" to what happened to SCHTHACK on top of the questionable Management there.
Yeah the donations aspect always raises questions and as you said, Schthack certainly had many of them up to and including the most recent issue with a single HDD failing and causing the loss of everyone's info...

What I'd like to offer to N.A is any kind of assistance if you need it. It sounds like you have the situation well under control but if a time ever comes that you need help for maintenance, etc., I'll gladly offer my time in any way I can.

N.A

Banned

I don't forsee ever accepting any donations. The server costs are fairly cheap and the whole reason for me making this was to avoid the donations for items that are on the other big servers.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Was anyone here part of the old IGN Dreamcast/PSO boards? That place was my home as a young gamer and gives me waves of nostalgia when I think of it.

For some other memories, a guy dug up a tape of him playing V2 for the first time online. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdEJjuT6P00

Cordelia 9 was the old IGN block.

Chucker

Did someone say we've upped the xp gain?
If that's the case I can see myself just remaking my current characters with names that get them the kind of drops I actually want :p

I've got a lot of stuff to do this week so I don't know how much I'll actually be on, but if anyone new to the game finds me on the servers I'll gladly step them through how it all works as best I can :D

Unless I forgot, anyone who's played with me already should have my guild card so they can find me regardless of what I do with my characters :3
Again?

I might reroll too, lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, I'd be happy to toss a few bucks once in a while just to ease the cost of the server. But I really hate the idea of being able to pay for items. That's stupid.

Also, a few questions!

1) Will shared bank ever be a thing?
2) Will Red Ring, Parasitic Gene Flow and Rambling May be available on the server?
3) Will the Online Quests be updated/added eventually? I realize most people would spam TTF, but there are some other fun/cool quests that would be worth having.
4) E: I seem to remember a buff being made to techs at some point because they were pretty worthless on Ult otherwise. Anyone know if this is a thing?

kejigoto

Banned
So many memories! Finally got this working after running into issues while installing with Avast working and so glad this server got started even though I haven't played with anyone yet.

Just did a little bit of leveling this morning and getting used to the controls and old systems. Kind of surprising how much I've remembered and how much I've forgotten as well lol. Fights I remember being a whole lot easier are much harder but then again I'm not sitting on a level 140+ character with my buddy playing beside me via splitscreen so this is rather understandable.

This time around I went with a HUmar Hunter for my first character as I'll be able to solo decently enough early on to build up my character and go loot hunting without worrying about others or anything like that plus later on I'll have access to some pretty good spells as well as weaponry so this will make a decent addition to most parties.

Definitely gonna be spending plenty of time playing this and hope to start getting some groups formed here soon.

Mengy

I don't forsee ever accepting any donations. The server costs are fairly cheap and the whole reason for me making this was to avoid the donations for items that are on the other big servers.

Well that's awfully kind and upstanding of you, but is there any way we can help you out with this? Maybe offer you free Steam games or something? LOL

I hope I get the chance to try this out soon, maybe I'll be able to install it tonight even. I still play the DC game now and then offline just for fun and nostalgia, always brings a smile to my face, followed by a frown due to the servers being long gone....those were some awesome times playing with the GAF crowd back then. PSO-DC was my first true online game that I ever played, it's probably the only reason I ever bought WoW in at all back in November of 2004.

Xion_Stellar

Yeah, I'd be happy to toss a few bucks once in a while just to ease the cost of the server. But I really hate the idea of being able to pay for items. That's stupid.

Also, a few questions!

1) Will shared bank ever be a thing?
2) Will Red Ring, Parasitic Gene Flow and Rambling May be available on the server?
3) Will the Online Quests be updated/added eventually? I realize most people would spam TTF, but there are some other fun/cool quests that would be worth having.
4) E: I seem to remember a buff being made to techs at some point because they were pretty worthless on Ult otherwise. Anyone know if this is a thing?

Question that would be explored as we move Towards The Future since it's barely Day 1 not to mention we don't know if OP has the know how on doing that. As for shared bank I'm not sure if Lee ever made it's modifications public.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Question that would be explored as we move Towards The Future since it's barely Day 1 not to mention we don't know if OP has the know how on doing that. As for shared bank I'm not sure if Lee ever made it's modifications public.

Was that a special mod to make it happen? It's just annoying to have to find people to trust when building mags and such even. I hope it's easy to implement!

Ooccoo

I remember that trailer, and how it shows monsters that can't actually be in some zones because Sega had the brilliant idea to fucking hard code them to specific levels.

Sophia

Figured I'd mention this ahead of time, seeing as I saw someone join and quit our game earlier almost instantly.

Whenever you join a game, that game pauses for the players in it. Please try not to constantly join someone's game. It can be very annoying, especially if people are in the middle of fighting.

Anyhow, TY to Rusfer and NEON for helping me get down Dragon again and get the Heat Saber from him. <3

Skeff

Well just had my first run, got to level 5 and found the transmitter on first government mission in a group, so thanks for the group!

Gaf and character name are both skeff.

I did have some pretty terrible graphical issues though where it seemed like LOD was set to around 5m with everything else being almost invisible, so I'll try taking a look at that shortly to get it fixed.

Edit: also the ds4 works very nicely.

Gnomist

Mengy said:

Did you ONLY play the DC version? Never the GCN version? If so, this is going to have a lot of improvements from the game you played through. Episode 1 and 2 was them perfecting a formula they began on the Dreamcast.

Xion_Stellar

Was that a special mod to make it happen? It's just annoying to have to find people to trust when building mags and such even. I hope it's easy to implement!
1-Share Banks
2-Making unchainable Weapons chainable (Phonton Maser,Rambling May, Flow Weapons etc)
3-Fixing the Gal Gryphon bug (the bug was that he didn't drop anything).
4-Fixing the Love Rappy Bug (They didn't drop anything)
5-And adding custom Weapond were all done first by Lee as far as I know and I'm not sure if anyone else ever figure those out on their own since I doubt Lee released the server modifications to the public.

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
Figured I'd mention this ahead of time, seeing as I saw someone join and quit our game earlier almost instantly.

Whenever you join a game, that game pauses for the players in it. Please try not to constantly join someone's game. It can be very annoying, especially if people are in the middle of fighting.

Anyhow, TY to Rusfer and NEON for helping me get down Dragon again and get the Heat Saber from him. <3
Sorry, that must've been me :p

I had to restart and couldn't remember the server name. Is there any way to view the players in a server from the hub?

Mengy

Did you ONLY play the DC version? Never the GCN version? If so, this is going to have a lot of improvements from the game you played through. Episode 1 and 2 was them perfecting a formula they began on the Dreamcast.

Yep, I've only ever played the two Dreamcast games. I'm honestly fairly excited to try this out!

naeS

May I ask what kind of hardware you are using for the server?

N.A

Banned
Shared bank is actually in already. Just type /bank when in a game to switch between active character and shared banks.

Apparently there are a couple of bugs with it atm which should be fixed in the next server software update. If you have any issues I'll try to resolve them.

Regarding the other things I'll look into them soon.

Well you're on a gaf server so technically everyone in here should be trustworthy?

Or maybe I give too much credit lol.

Anyways, thanks OP for hosting this. If you ever took purely goodwill donations then I would totally chip in a bit for it. Otherwise I will just enjoy playing through the game. Might start tonight after work or tomorrow. If there's anyone who wants to relive the struggle of level 1/episode 1 online multiplayer with me then I'd be game for that.

Conezays

Is there a center camera button for keyboards? Was definitely having some trouble with the camera lastnight. About to hop in again. Thanks again, NA!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well you're on a gaf server so technically everyone in here should be trustworthy?

Or maybe I give too much credit lol.

Anyways, thanks OP for hosting this. If you ever took purely goodwill donations then I would totally chip in a bit for it. Otherwise I will just enjoy playing through the game. Might start tonight after work or tomorrow. If there's anyone who wants to relive the struggle of level 1/episode 1 online multiplayer with me then I'd be game for that.

I honestly only trust RL friends and my shared bank for this sort of stuff, haha.

Hopefully shared banks and the unobtainable items can be implemented in some way!

Par Score

I honestly only trust RL friends and my shared bank for this sort of stuff, haha.

Hopefully shared banks and the unobtainable items can be implemented in some way!

Shared bank is actually in already. Just type /bank when in a game to switch between active character and shared banks.

Apparently there are a couple of bugs with it atm which should be fixed in the next server software update. If you have any issues I'll try to resolve them.

Regarding the other things I'll look into them soon.

Shared bank is a godsend.

Though really, with a community like this you'd have to be a real asshole to pull anything shady.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Shared bank is a godsend.

Though really, with a community like this you'd have to be a real asshole to pull anything shady.

Yeah, shared bank is CLUTCH. Glad this is a thing. I already have a new mag I need to start raising and need a dummy character, haha.

lol, turns out I'm gonna reroll. Chucker is purplenum, CHUCKER is Skyly.
Womp womp.
Welcome to the never-ending cycle that is reroll addiction >:D

Also, for those not familiar with PSO, character names are not unique so you can call your all your characters the same name or whatever and you don't have to worry about any being taken. I kind of wish MMOs learned from this :/

Top Bottom